PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down: Texas Offensive line

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2011, 10:06 AM
This week instead of going with just the quarterback, I want to go in and discuss what the horns bring up front and the strength/weaknesses.The have moved their line around some so I'm going to just go off their 2 deep

Left Tackle Tray Allen 6'4 310

Another guy who started off at a different position..moved from guard to tackle. Maybe the most athletic of the bunch. He moves well, but is still pretty raw at tackle. He stands up to tall out of his stance and in several plays looked lost. The guy is strong, but his base is narrow enough to expose..When he played technically sound against Iowa State, the ISU defenders wanted no part of him..When he stood up and narrowed himself, he was a non factor.. I think this is an advantage OU with either Ronnell or Frank lined up.

Left Guard/Center-David Snow 6'4 295

Snow is one thing you definitely need from your Oline...Consistent. He's played in every game since arriving at ut and has started about 19. He has above average strength, but is a bit small for that position. He does have excellent footwork though and gets good extension through his arms. He grades out consistently as their best lineman. He has played center and left guard both and I think is more fit to be a center. This will be a tough matchup for Oklahoma, but not as tough as him lined up at center.

Center- Dominic Espinosa 6'4 295

Espinosa would be sitting on the bench, but Snow moved to LG and the redshirt freshman hasn't looked bad. From the little I saw, he moves better than Snow but doesn't have the strong base yet. Has appeared lost at times, which any player would in his shoes, but is a better run blocker than Snow. He is a player with a ton of potential, but I think this is a spot that Oklahoma can take advantage of.

Right Guard- Mason Walters 6'6 305

Snow may be the most consistent, but Walters is the most talented IMO..Will be in the NFL. Started off as a tackle but moved inside. Really seals off well and opens up their ability to attempt a power running game. He has tackle feet, so he can move well, good arm extension..Probably the biggest thing he has to get down now is pad level. The DT who lines up across from him has a chance if he gets lower and swims through. Least favorable of all matchups.

Right Tackle- Trey Hopkins 6'4 298

Another high profile recruit with a lot of raw natural ability..Played quite a bit last year as a freshman and another guy who moved positions. Technique is not there and Paden Kelley may end up starting over him..better feet than the LT but not as quick. I definitely like our DEs in this matchup.

Texas is running a lot of misdirection stuff but this Oline as a group has improved a lot..They are blocking down a lot better in their power run schemes and the WRs for them are doing a heck of a job blocking on the edges. They seem to be running stronger to the left than the right. I think the players who could make the most noise for OU in this one are Ronnell, Frank, RJ, and Casey Walker.

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/5/2011, 10:17 AM
thanks STEP. here's hoping the ronnell and frank make them wish they were home drinking warm milk and taking naps curled up next to their mommies.

NormanPride
10/5/2011, 10:22 AM
Easy to look great against crap competition. I think we have great DEs that will cause problems for them all day.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2011, 05:03 PM
A lot of the big plays on O from what I've watched isn't because of stellar blocking..Just a whole lot of misdirection and enough blocking to get the RBs to the edges...

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 05:07 PM
Their tackles are going to be tested big time. I'm a homer, but I don't think there are two better ends in the league (ours). As far as their O Line, the only concern I have is Texas' inside running game. We haven't exactly set the world on fire with our D tackle play.

cantwait48
10/5/2011, 07:12 PM
Texas Offensive line Breaking Down

FIFY

SoonerMarkVA
10/5/2011, 07:15 PM
Heck, I thought you were going to post pics of Alexander and R. Lewis, 'cause those gentlemen will be seriously breaking down ut's offensive line.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/5/2011, 07:54 PM
Their tackles are going to be tested big time. I'm a homer, but I don't think there are two better ends in the league (ours). As far as their O Line, the only concern I have is Texas' inside running game. We haven't exactly set the world on fire with our D tackle play.

This group we've got out there right now is Top 5 all time at OU.

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 08:05 PM
This group we've got out there right now is Top 5 all time at OU.

Absolutely.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/5/2011, 08:14 PM
Walker is a wild card, he shows flashes and then disappears. Hopefully he can get the motor going for the full game. The big worry is that their best two players are going to be on our linebackers. Hopefully we don't see them setting any records for most pancakes in a game.

VA Sooner
10/5/2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the breakdown, STEP. Have you been watching lots of game film at home this week? I expect to see you on the sidelines calling our plays to the defense.

Salt City Sooner
10/5/2011, 09:44 PM
FWIW, I saw a stat the other day that said UT has gained 75% of their rushing yards behind the left side of their line.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the breakdown, STEP. Have you been watching lots of game film at home this week? I expect to see you on the sidelines calling our plays to the defense.

I've been watching a lot of big12 football for the draft service I work for and I've got some Texas-Rice,UCLA, and Iowa State to look at

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2011, 09:54 PM
FWIW, I saw a stat the other day that said UT has gained 75% of their rushing yards behind the left side of their line.

This is correct...All of their big runs have been to that side with an occasional between the tackle run when operating out of the wildcat

Tulsa_Fireman
10/5/2011, 11:03 PM
Walker is a wild card, he shows flashes and then disappears. Hopefully he can get the motor going for the full game. The big worry is that their best two players are going to be on our linebackers. Hopefully we don't see them setting any records for most pancakes in a game.

Five bucks says we see more 4 down, 2 technique tackle play for this very reason. If we keep the LBs clean and those DTs work upfield as opposed to gap responsibility, we will literally rape Texas in the ear.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/8/2011, 01:08 PM
After 1 half ->

Fireman's call on the 4 man front = right on

DEs/Casey Walker are dominating which has forced Texas to double and triple (ha) team them leaving the linebackers fairly free. Linebackers have played a 100x better with Wort and Lewis taking on blockers and getting to the running back. Wort had one play where he fought through 2 blockers to get to the running back. Fleming is still clueless against the run.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/8/2011, 01:31 PM
Yup...These undersized guards are getting pulverized...When Alexander went inside, they can't keep up

stoops the eternal pimp
10/8/2011, 02:54 PM
I noticed the starting tackles were substituted early because of inablity to do their jobs..Guys backing them up obviously weren't much better..pretty much went according to plan

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2011, 01:15 PM
I'm noticing on the the 4 man fronts, sometimes OU had 4 DEs lined up...Lewis, King, Alexander, and Washington...With Alexander just destroying their guards

badger
10/10/2011, 01:24 PM
Has anyone yet made the clever comment "Oh yes, Texas' offensive line really did get broken down, lol rofl lmao" yet? If not... :D

It has always amazed me how untalented Texas' offensive lines have been recently. It's like Mack daddy finds the biggest boys in Texas or the ones from programs he owes coaches favors for and plugs their 300 pound selves in, hoping for the best.

ATX Sooner
10/10/2011, 01:50 PM
You beat me to it, badger.

PS: thanks for all the vCash!

badger
10/10/2011, 01:53 PM
I'd also like to add that our D-line makes every O-line look bad, so it might just not be on the fact that Mack recruits front-line flubber (no offense to any former whorn linemen out there)