PDA

View Full Version : Tom Wort and Travis Lewis having fun over a flag

badger
10/4/2011, 11:52 AM
Lol. Just read.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Heres_one_tackle_Travis_Lewis_is_g lad_he_didnt_make/12-12764)

LVSOONER15
10/4/2011, 12:13 PM
Nice read. I am glad they are having fun. I hope they knock the hell outta saxet.

OU_Sooners75
10/4/2011, 12:21 PM
Some cant visit that site badger.

Here's one tackle Travis Lewis is glad he didn't make

10/4/2011 11:32:01 AM

NORMAN — You could tell Tom Wort has carried the football before.

Not by his speed. Not by his moves. But by his stiff-arm.

Of his own teammate.

Sure, it's OU-Texas week. But today we look back on a play from OU's 62-6 win over Ball State. It didn't amount to much in the big picture, but it was the most fun two linebackers are ever going to have together.

When Wort scooped up a fumble last week against Ball State and returned it 22 yards for a touchdown, he had but one obstacle in his way.

Travis Lewis.

“I was contemplating on knocking him down,” Lewis said. “I was this close.”

He’s joking of course (I think). The Sooner linebackers are best friends and want only the best for each other. But they also have a friendly competitive rivalry, as most defenders do, about being the first to the quarterback, the first to a fumble, the first to the end zone.

“It was funny,” Wort said. “Travis was saying he should have picked it up, too. He said he should have tackled me before I got to the end zone. That was funny.”

But Wort never gave him a chance. He saw Lewis get off the ground and come toward him — it was weird, almost like Lewis’ tackling instinct nearly took over — and Wort stuck out his left arm to keep him away.

Why the stiff-arm? How embarrassing would it have been had their feet accidentally tangled and Wort went down at the 10-yard line?

“There weren’t many people around us when we got the ball,” Wort said. “Travis was just looking right back at me and I just grabbed him and said, ‘Let’s go to the end zone.’ ”

Grabbed him. Right.

It was Lewis who caused the fumble, and Lewis was the one trying to scramble back and get to the ball when Wort picked it up.

“It’s awesome,” Wort said. “He made the play and I got to get in the end zone.”

But as usual, Lewis got the last word.

“And then he got in trouble for spiking the ball,” Lewis said, “and I felt a sense of satisfaction.”

“It’s too bad I got cussed out after. I got in trouble,” Wort said. “I wasn’t trying to be malicious or even think about celebrating. It was just a reaction. So, a little disappointed in that. But that’s a memory I’m not gonna forget, Travis looking right back at me. We made eye contact as I was running. That was pretty fun.”

We now return you to your regularly scheduled OU-Texas blogs. ...

DYNOMITE
10/4/2011, 01:21 PM
video?

sooneredaco
10/4/2011, 02:10 PM
That's awesome!!

badger
10/4/2011, 02:15 PM
video?

Start watchin at 6: 42:
j03RHG-IHMk

Extra special shout out to the OU youtube master, HolaKyle :)

sooneredaco
10/4/2011, 02:54 PM
That's awesome!!

OUAriakas
10/4/2011, 03:02 PM
I was under them impression that spiking the ball in the heat of the moment was no longer a flag? Didn't they say before the season started that it would not be a penalty? How quickly things change.

badger
10/4/2011, 03:10 PM
I was under them impression that spiking the ball in the heat of the moment was no longer a flag? Didn't they say before the season started that it would not be a penalty? How quickly things change.

It was a pity flag. As you might have noticed during the game or in the HolaKyle video, we were up by a ton at that point. No reason for British Boz to add insult to injury (and wow was Ball State getting injured that game)

PS: Welcome to SF.com! :)

westbrooke
10/4/2011, 03:42 PM
Wow, that flag was awful. No way to interpret that other than excitement over scoring a TD. Not a taunt. Not excessive. I think calling it a "pity flag" is about the only way to make sense of it.

badger
10/4/2011, 03:47 PM
Wow, that flag was awful. No way to interpret that other than excitement over scoring a TD. Not a taunt. Not excessive. I think calling it a "pity flag" is about the only way to make sense of it.

At first I was wondering what he did (we were in the north endzone and it happened in the south). When I saw the replay and the spike, I knew immediately that it was a pity flag. Stoops was absolutely livid. No pity in Stoops City :D

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2011, 06:44 PM
As far as I know, spiking the ball is still an automatic flag. Dumb rule, IMO.

jumperstop
10/4/2011, 07:08 PM
As far as I know, spiking the ball is still an automatic flag. Dumb rule, IMO.

Yep, God forbid people have a good time playing the game...

VA Sooner
10/5/2011, 09:11 PM
Damn funny. Caught up to HolaKyle's excellent video and had to rewind the Wort stiff-arm incident over and over again. Damn funny stuff.