PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Constitutional Amendment

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/3/2011, 06:36 PM
"No person, corporation or business entity of any type, domestic or foreign, shall be allowed to contribute money, directly or indirectly, to any candidate for Federal office or to contribute money on behalf of or opposed to any type of campaign for Federal office. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, campaign contributions to candidates for Federal office shall not constitute speech of any kind as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution or any amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Congress shall set forth a federal holiday for the purposes of voting for candidates for Federal office."

from http://www.getmoneyout.com/ ,written by former lobbyist Jimmy Williams and up to ~87k signatures. Not asking anyone to sign, but what are your thoughts on this? My only concern is that it includes Federal offices only, and I doubt my state would pass its own version at the state office level. But I could be surprised.

East Coast Bias
10/3/2011, 07:08 PM
Punishable by death(especially in Texas) since corporations are "people".

BU BEAR
10/3/2011, 07:10 PM
Punishable by death(especially in Texas) since corporations are "people".

Corporations = People

Soylent Green = People

Therefore, Soylent Green = Corporations

Midtowner
10/3/2011, 08:01 PM
Love it.

--it never passes.

JohnnyMack
10/3/2011, 09:33 PM
A terrific idea that will never go anywhere. I prefer limiting the amount of money that can be spent and preventing the campaigns from beginning work until 9 months before the election and from running ads or websites or anything of that nature until 6 months before the election.

OU_Sooners75
10/3/2011, 09:50 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but does labor unions fall under this category?

Serge Ibaka
10/4/2011, 12:43 AM
So we would be guaranteeing that a brilliant poor person would never be in federal office?

This.

Wouldn't it just be good to have full and complete transparency?

I'd also like to shorten campaign seasons. Thanks.

BU BEAR
10/4/2011, 06:10 PM
If we would just limit Congress' power under the Commerce Clause to something closer to what it looked like pre-1930s, then a lot of this stuff would just take care of itself. There is no need to send a lobbyist to lobby a Congressman if the Congressman cannot regulate the industry the lobbyist represents.