PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines

badger
10/3/2011, 05:48 PM
Reports getting stronger that they'll finally do what every other major airline has done this past decade: Declare bankruptcy.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=45&articleid=20111003_45_0_NEWYOR608341)

As Tulsa's largest employer, I hope something can be worked out that's in the best interest of the company and its employees.

Personally, my husband detests American and we never fly on it. Usually Southwest.

OUHOMER
10/3/2011, 06:30 PM
I guess they didnt make enough on the bagage fees?

Lott's Bandana
10/3/2011, 06:33 PM
Don't like American.

They've already filed Bankruptcy once this century.

Didn't they just order a bunch of new Airbus planes?

Sooner5030
10/3/2011, 08:07 PM
too bad.....regardless of my political beliefs I feel bad when a large employer has severe financial problems. Many a good folk could be walking the plank. Without gubment help, or BK protection I can only think of one airline that can run a profit over the long term. dunno, maybe something is structurally wrong with the business model.

/dont have the time to read the last 5 years of AMR financial statements to provide a crafty response.

diverdog
10/4/2011, 06:21 AM
My BIL is a pilot for AMR. He has a very high line number so his job should be safe. What I do not is what will happen to his benefits. I will call him and get his thoughts.

Position Limit
10/4/2011, 10:38 AM
allow me to get this out before the resident right wing circlejerks infests this thread.

IT'S ALL THE UNIONS FAULT AND OBUMMER TOO!!!!!

reorg, new financing and captial structure will be had before a filing. while the stock looks like dogs**t, the options are not implying bk. yet... or maybe the management can get a federal bailout, cut union benefits and wages, watch the stock go to $4 and bonus themselves out high 7 figures again. it worked once, skin that cat again.

badger
10/4/2011, 01:37 PM
The biggest obstacle seems to be who gets money when the company does well.

Do executives get their bonuses, or do workers get back the money they gave up to keep the company from going under.

It sounds like execs want bonuses and workers want money back BEFORE the company turns a profit. That's the problem right now. NO profit should equal NO exec bonuses or employee give backs.