PDA

View Full Version : WWYD

CowboyMRW
10/3/2011, 01:31 PM
Let's say you were in a Thermal Fluids class that was all about taking data and using Excel and making graphs and intrepretating that data from your graphs. You did the experiment with a partner which was allowed, and then you did all the work. When it came time for it to be due, your partner hadn't finished so you allowed him to use your Excel, thinking he would just use it to finish up, and he ends up copying it formula for formula, without your knowledge.

So couple days pass and out of the blue you receive a notification that you need to meet with the office of Academic Integrity. If found guilty, you shall be given an F!, which you can't have as you are supposed to graduate in 2 months and have several job offers at the moment.

Would you rat your friend out, lie, or just take your punishment?

pphilfran
10/3/2011, 01:49 PM
Have you talked to your friend?

What is he going to say

Boomer.....
10/3/2011, 01:52 PM
I didn't know sheep could type.

NormanPride
10/3/2011, 01:56 PM
Don't lie, you're just talking about a paternity test. Don't worry, humans and sheep aren't compatible. Pfft, "fluid dynamics" nice one... is that what the kids call it these days?

In all seriousness, **** that dude. He's an *** for putting you in this situation and it doesn't sound like he's a close friend or anything.

TUSooner
10/3/2011, 02:01 PM
Do not sacrifice yourself for that dooshie. There's no honor in that, no virtue; that would be like casting your pearls before a stinking hog.

Skysooner
10/3/2011, 02:04 PM
This is no friend of yours. In this economy, you can't afford to let this happen.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/3/2011, 02:07 PM
Let's say you were in a Thermal Fluids class that was all about taking data and using Excel and making graphs and intrepretating that data from your graphs. You did the experiment with a partner which was allowed, and then you did all the work. When it came time for it to be due, your partner hadn't finished so you allowed him to use your Excel, thinking he would just use it to finish up, and he ends up copying it formula for formula, without your knowledge.

So couple days pass and out of the blue you receive a notification that you need to meet with the office of Academic Integrity. If found guilty, you shall be given an F!, which you can't have as you are supposed to graduate in 2 months and have several job offers at the moment.

If you are doing an experiment with a partner, why would it be expected for work to be independent?

Boomer.....
10/3/2011, 02:12 PM
Do not risk your future for this guy.

Lott's Bandana
10/3/2011, 02:16 PM
Print out your original post, walk into the meeting and hand it to the board.

They'll ask the right questions.

thecynic
10/3/2011, 04:04 PM
fall on your sword for your partner. The real world sucks. stay in college.

jumperstop
10/3/2011, 04:05 PM
I would go down for a partner if it wasn't him who had just ****ed me over. You'd be stupid to not rat him out.

CowboyMRW
10/3/2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the answers. It just sucks to be put in this situation, especially since we were partners and had the exact same data. He had different interpolations of the data that I did, but that is neither here nor there.

Off topic, does OU have an F! (pronounced F shriek) policy. I've heard that OSU is one of the only ones but I didn't know if that was true or not.

8timechamps
10/3/2011, 06:06 PM
Sing like a cannery.

Remember, HE put YOU in this situation, not the other way around.

jumperstop
10/3/2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the answers. It just sucks to be put in this situation, especially since we were partners and had the exact same data. He had different interpolations of the data that I did, but that is neither here nor there.

Off topic, does OU have an F! (pronounced F shriek) policy. I've heard that OSU is one of the only ones but I didn't know if that was true or not.

I think there are other schools that do this but can't remember if OU does. I made a d once when in school, never made below a B after that semester. So I can't speak for an F!. My gf went to osu and said it's made to warn future employers that you were accused of being cheating scum and you failed the class for that reason and not just being lazy.

soonerhubs
10/3/2011, 06:59 PM
You report him ASAP. He apparently is a selfish ****** who doesn't care about your future at all.

A student copied the answers off of my test in a stats class here at OSU. We were in a small room, and I didn't even know that he had until I got a call from the professor. Fortunately the professor observed him doing it, and me unaware, or I may have suffered as well. Anyone that has no regard for your academic reputation or career is a piece of trash and deserves the punishments they get.

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2011, 07:20 PM

Be honest and tell them what happened. This isn't worth ruining your academic career over.

I'll tell you what happened to my dad (OSU undergrad, grad, and med school); he turned in this major project that had taken him several months to complete. He gets called into the prof's office and is accused of cheating. My dad stands by his work, but the prof tells him to do it over or receive an 'F' and be turned into SA. SOO, he goes to the library and pulls someone's masters thesis off the shelf and copies it word-for-word and turns it in. The prof calls him into the office again and says, "Good job SicEmDad! That's more like it!"

That's a bit ballsier than something I would have done, but you definitely need to stand by your work.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/3/2011, 08:05 PM
next time he wants to copy a formula, give him this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/309006_599585449265_47400381_32840718_177017577_n. jpg

Wishboned
10/3/2011, 09:28 PM
Third option. Get your roommate to commit suicide. They have to give you passing grades for the semester after that.

It's true cause I saw it in a movie once.

JohnnyMack
10/3/2011, 09:47 PM
I say you hook your partner up with Amanda Knox, your problem will be solved in no time!

Fraggle145
10/3/2011, 09:59 PM
**** him.

cleller
10/4/2011, 07:30 AM
You tell the truth. Stand up straight, and lay it out for them. Don't act guilty, and let them know you expect them to believe you.

proud gonzo
10/4/2011, 01:18 PM
Screw your partner.

Working as a GA last year, I was grading an essay assignment for a journalism class. Two students turned in almost the exact same essay. I reported them to the professor, figured out what they look like (facebook is such a great tool) and found out that they sit together in class every day and were members of the same fraternity. The professor met with both of them, threatened to kick them out of school, and one fessed up--his friend has loaned him the paper as an example, but rather than use it as an example, he copied it. Other dude got away fine, cheater dude got a warning and a lecture. I would have put him on academic probation, if it'd been up to me. But just be honest--you'll be fine. Do NOT take a fall for the *******.

oudanny
10/4/2011, 02:53 PM
Falling on your swrod would be noble but incredibly stupid. Tell the truth and stick to the facts.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/4/2011, 02:53 PM

F'ing rat out the stealing SOB, you or someone else doesn't need to go down with the cheater.

starclassic tama
10/4/2011, 08:49 PM
i can't figure out why you are even considering not ratting the guy out. are you scared he will beat you up or something? seriously, it might be different had you agreed to let him cheat and then ratted him out, but he did it all without you... so F him

SoonerAtKU
10/5/2011, 12:07 PM
I had a "friend" in college cheat during a test once. I think it was in an accounting class. The instructor walked up to him, took his test, and told him to get out of the class. I hadn't even noticed he'd been looking at a cheat sheet or whatever, even though he was sitting right next to me.

The guy then wanted me to testify in front of a disciplinary board that he hadn't been cheating, but I refused to do it because I didn't see one way or another.

P.S. he was 100% cheating and probably should have been put on probation.

yermom
10/5/2011, 12:24 PM
If you are doing an experiment with a partner, why would it be expected for work to be independent?

kinda what i was wondering. why would the data or formulas be different?