PDA

View Full Version : Whorns completely untested...

The Maestro
10/3/2011, 11:53 AM
...and probably getting full of themselves now that they are 4-0 and in the top 10.

They have played Rice, BYU, UCLA and Iowa State. Who is their best opponent...ISU??? The 'clones marquee win was at home in overtime against a rival Iowa team that actually is very average.

We have played THREE teams that are better than ANY team they have played. I submit that Tulsa, Florida State and Missouri would all have a great chance at being 4-0 with the whorns schedule as well, Tulsa being the only question mark, although their three losses have all come against top 7 teams in the country nationally.

But enough about us. The whorns sputtered against Rice...had to pull away late. They were getting hammered at home by BYU...a BYU that the following week lost by 35 to Utah. Utah is not exactly Alabama, either. They throttled UCLA...yawn. UCLA is 2-3 and was just hammered even worse by Stanford. And then they got a nice win at Iowa State...who turned the ball over 3 times and gave up a blocked punt...in the first half!

I think the whorns are happy to take a 4-1 record after the game Saturday and they would have signed up for that before the season. Look at their stat leaders...freshman, freshman, freshman. Big stage for these young guys. Sure, they run their mickey mouse offense now with more trick plays than I used to draw up in the dirt at family reunions, but our experience and being tested should be a huge factor on Saturday.

Avoid silly, unforced mistakes...don't give up freakishly big plays on razzle dazzle or special teams...and this is a business trip that needs an extra bit of *** whip due to the Big 12 debacle on the end of it. Boren, Joe C. and everyone below needs to have a vested interest in this game...and send a strong message to all the whorn fans who are so excited about their youth movement. It simply means you have recruited poorly, lacked coaching to groom players and means you just aren't that good. Our balance of veterans, experience and youth is the prime example of how to get it done...and this Saturday, it's gonna get ugly.

Oh, and when we do...I hope the insignificant AP poll voters are impressed with our second win over a top 10 team away from home. If not, keep voting in your poll that matters as much as the Lafayette Times Herald top 20.

LVSOONER15
10/3/2011, 12:00 PM
Thank you Maestro, we do need to avoid silly mistakes and big plays.

oudavid1
10/3/2011, 12:03 PM
I disagree. I think BYU is decent and we dont have a stellar record when it comes to covering the spread in Aimes so i give them some credit for playing so well on the road. I mean dont get me wrong, they are not a top 15 team just yet, but they did beat 2 teams that beat em last year (regardless of how bad) which qualifies as a "test"

Widescreen
10/3/2011, 12:11 PM
They're way better this year. Instead of losing to cupcakes, they're beating them.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2011, 12:12 PM
BYU is decent? a team that lost 54-10 to a horrible Utah team? They are horrible with the ball with nothing at the skill positions...That BYU team is very subpar.

Texas is getting a lot better..with all the changes they made, it was going to take a while for them to get into their system and then with changes at QB...I wouldn't undersell them either.

oudavid1
10/3/2011, 12:14 PM
BYU is decent? a team that lost 54-10 to a horrible Utah team? They are horrible with the ball with nothing at the skill positions...That BYU team is very subpar.

Texas is getting a lot better..with all the changes they made, it was going to take a while for them to get into their system and then with changes at QB...I wouldn't undersell them either.

Im trying to find a way to illustrate that Texas is better and im failing. So thank you.

The Maestro
10/3/2011, 12:18 PM
Saying Texas is better is like saying a 350 pound woman on "The Biggest Loser" looks better at 325. You can't get worse...yes improved, but a long way to go.

Sooner_Tuf
10/3/2011, 12:18 PM
We are 68-5 with Iowa State. 33-2 in Aimes. Your standard for stellar must be quite a bit higher than the rest of ours.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/3/2011, 12:30 PM
There are only three certainties that I am aware of with Texas this season:

1. Texas sucks.
2. David Ash, Colt McCoy and any future Longhorn QB, are better than Garrett Gilbert.
3. Texas still sucks.

oudavid1
10/3/2011, 12:32 PM
We are 68-5 with Iowa State. 33-2 in Aimes. Your standard for stellar must be quite a bit higher than the rest of ours.

I didnt say we werent winning, im saying we didnt play well the last time OU was there. 17-7 with Sammy B.

SoonerinSouthlake
10/3/2011, 12:39 PM
Saying Texas is better is like saying a 350 pound woman on "The Biggest Loser" looks better at 325. You can't get worse...yes improved, but a long way to go.

don't think that quite a fair comparison....because I think last year they were a 150 pound woman that dressed like a 350 pounder. They had and still have some of the best players in college football. Just that last year they had a QB that couldnt get it, and a coaching staff that couldnt keep them interested once the ball started rolling down hill.

Right now they are a very talented group of players that is gaining some confidence.

We may very well uncork on them and go 65-13...on the other hand, if dont play 4 great quarters of smart football, they have the athletes to make this scary for us.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/3/2011, 12:40 PM
Get after their young QBs to make Davis and Shipley not relevant.

BASSooner
10/3/2011, 12:46 PM
Get after their young QBs to make Davis and Shipley not relevant.

This is why OUr defense is going to ANNIHILATE them. As for receivers, Shipley is really good but he's a frosh. Davis is great too. However, they havn't gone up against any stellar secondaries yet. My only concern is how OUr defense goes up against their run game. If we stop it, their offense will see the worst performance in a loooooooooooong time.

badger
10/3/2011, 12:53 PM
This is why OUr defense is going to ANNIHILATE them.

I hope with all my hope. Really, I do. 2003 was so much fun and from what I heard 2000 was as well. These closer games are real nail biters and my dentist says I should stop doing that ;)

OULenexaman
10/3/2011, 01:06 PM
Saying Texas is better is like saying a 350 pound woman on "The Biggest Loser" looks better at 325. You can't get worse...yes improved, but a long way to go. So in other words Texas really is the fat lady getting ready to sing...

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2011, 01:07 PM
Im trying to find a way to illustrate that Texas is better and im failing. So thank you.

Well go with this...Shipley brings something to this offense they lacked last season..I would love to have a guy like that on my team..Malcolm Brown is a really solid runningback that has improved a lot...The O coordinator is definitely a step up from Greg Davis and it is going to take some time for it all to mesh together..All in all, this is a good 8-9 win Texas team..

The Maestro
10/3/2011, 01:18 PM
Ash (freshman), Shipley (freshman), Brown (freshman), McCoy (freshman). Yes, the future is much brighter for the whorns...but they have nothing but incredibly young playmakers. I think Frank Alexander is going to have a monster day and DB's like TJ should benefit. Big game for our linebackers to step it up with all the razzle dazzle backyard B.S. the whorns run. They better be in position to make plays...and make them!

BoonesFarmSooner
10/3/2011, 01:30 PM
... If not, keep voting in your poll that matters as much as the Lafayette Times Herald top 20.

I see you decided against using the Denham Springs Courier as your punching bag...

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2011, 01:33 PM
Ash (freshman), Shipley (freshman), Brown (freshman), McCoy (freshman). Yes, the future is much brighter for the whorns...but they have nothing but incredibly young playmakers. I think Frank Alexander is going to have a monster day and DB's like TJ should benefit. Big game for our linebackers to step it up with all the razzle dazzle backyard B.S. the whorns run. They better be in position to make plays...and make them!

This coordinator has lined up his offenses in the past against superior opponents and found ways to win...This post is right on

The Maestro
10/3/2011, 01:34 PM
I see you decided against using the Denham Springs Courier as your punching bag...

Or the Lake Charles American Press.

Touche...

Monster Zero
10/3/2011, 01:43 PM
What do you mean, "getting" full of themselves? :smug:

NormanPride
10/3/2011, 01:50 PM
This coordinator has lined up his offenses in the past against superior opponents and found ways to win...This post is right on

When?

When has Boise State beaten someone better than them? Their teams are just as loaded with NFL talent as other top ten programs.

PalmBeachSooner
10/3/2011, 02:58 PM
Or the Lake Charles American Press.

Touche...

or the Broken Arrow Ledger.

I remember when I was a kid selling that paper on Thursday nights (the only day of the week it came out back then) for like 10 cents a copy. I got to keep a nickel.

oudavid1
10/5/2011, 10:36 AM
Well go with this...Shipley brings something to this offense they lacked last season..I would love to have a guy like that on my team..Malcolm Brown is a really solid runningback that has improved a lot...The O coordinator is definitely a step up from Greg Davis and it is going to take some time for it all to mesh together..All in all, this is a good 8-9 win Texas team..

I guess it shows how good their recruiting is even when they go 5-7.

kevpks
10/5/2011, 11:40 AM

Texas recruiting is average at best, given their resources. Every schools misses on guys but they didn't even offer notable Texas high school players like Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, La Michael James...the list goes on. No school does less with more better than Texas.

oudavid1
10/5/2011, 12:03 PM
Texas recruiting is average at best, given their resources. Every schools misses on guys but they didn't even offer notable Texas high school players like Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, La Michael James...the list goes on. No school does less with more better than Texas.

Well I meant on the defensive side of the ball.

OhU1
10/5/2011, 12:27 PM
I expect a lot of tricks and gimmicks to be thrown at us. Unfortunately it seems like we bite on these more than most.

I expect the Horns to attempt to pressure rush Jones, I'm 50/50 whether he will make them pay or fling the ball away into a Horn's waiting hands once or twice.

That being said I expect we have enough fire power to outscore them but I expect the game to be much closer than it should be. With Gilbert OU 48 -10. With McCoy/Ash OU 30 -20.

Okie35
10/5/2011, 12:34 PM
If we have no turnovers, we win by 10 or more.

Okie35
10/5/2011, 12:36 PM

lol and even then the talent outweighed the coaching imagine if they had a year like we did in 09... they would've gone 2-9 at best.

TJKDone
10/5/2011, 12:44 PM
With all the youth (maybe the youngest team in the country as far as 2 deep) and new schemes, OU should win by two touchdowns. If you lose you have been out coached.

Hookem

Okie35
10/5/2011, 12:50 PM
With all the youth (maybe the youngest team in the country as far as 2 deep) and new schemes, OU should win by two touchdowns. If you lose you have been out coached.

Hookem

Depends on how the game goes coaches don't turn the ball over, either way we won't lose.

The Maestro
10/5/2011, 12:59 PM

Hookem

I can agree with that. No reason we lose unless the whorn coaches dial up their best game in quite some time. Just don't see it. Again, whorns will be happy with 4-1 start compared to expectations coming into season.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/5/2011, 01:23 PM
We will turn the ball over, I believe. But so will they.

picasso
10/5/2011, 01:31 PM

Hookem
That must mean your upperclassmen suck.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/5/2011, 01:35 PM
Why the Texas Longhorns are so young, Oklahoma actually will have more returning starters than Texas next season. Sounds like either Oklahoma is young as well, or Texas isn't that young.

As far as a team being tested, a team is either good or not good and being tested beforehand won't determine that. Miami wasn't tested when they played in the Big Weak Conference, but that never hurt them when they won an NC. Same for Florida St. being in the ACC when they won their titles.

The Maestro
10/5/2011, 01:57 PM
Per Jake Trotter...

since 1988, quarterbacks with OU-Texas starting experience are 8-2-1 against quarterbacks making their first start in the series.

BoonesFarmSooner
10/5/2011, 02:13 PM
or the Broken Arrow Ledger.

Ouch.... that post is hitting a little too close to home.

Thanks a lot, PBS

n8v_ndn
10/5/2011, 02:13 PM
That must mean your upperclassmen suck.

Even the The Horn has picked up on that. They're realizing the Longhorns must be missing the boat on their talent evaluations if a bunch of freshmen can come in an unseat so many older players that quickly.

BoonesFarmSooner
10/5/2011, 02:17 PM
Per Jake Trotter...

since 1988, quarterbacks with OU-Texas starting experience are 8-2-1 against quarterbacks making their first start in the series.

1989 Gardere
1994 James Brown
1997 Applewhite

2001 Nate Hybl/Jason White
2007 Sam Bradford

That's five wins for first year QBs right there off the top of my head. I'm guessing some of those were against other first year starters and why they aren't being counted?

The Maestro
10/5/2011, 02:27 PM
I'll have Craig James fire Jake Trotter...

8timechamps
10/5/2011, 02:42 PM
Last year, the whorns were horrible, and the game wasn't decided until the end. This year, everyone associated with the program (ESPN included) has been spewing how improved they are (and I will admit that they are better). Something tells me that this year's result is going to be what should have happened last year.

I smell a "bigger than the experts think" Sooner victory.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/5/2011, 03:00 PM
Last year, the whorns were horrible, and the game wasn't decided until the end. This year, everyone associated with the program (ESPN included) has been spewing how improved they are (and I will admit that they are better). Something tells me that this year's result is going to be what should have happened last year.

I smell a "bigger than the experts think" Sooner victory.

Yeah, like that 28-10 lead that Oklahoma had in the 4th quarter that people keep forgetting about. A lot of things changed for Oklahoma since that point in time, especially from a maturity and discipline standpoint. That was still within the window of time that Oklahoma wasn't playing that well even when factoring in the FSU outcome in Norman.

This was still a team that had issues that plagued them in close wins against Utah St., Air Force and Cincinnati. Oklahoma had more football growth potential from last season to this season than Texas did. I keep hearing how Texas is young, well, actually, McCoy/Ash, Brown and Shipley are young, but Oklahoma has more returning starters coming back next season than Texas does. People forget that Oklahoma is pretty young as well, just not at the critical positions.

Travellingsooner
10/5/2011, 06:25 PM
For all the talk about * youth, if I counted right, they have 26 underclassmen on the two-deep, we're at 22. Rather have ours.

Jacie
10/5/2011, 07:16 PM
Has sa*et improved from last year? One would hope that replacing both coordinators would do something. The talent level should not have changed so much since you would expect the whorns to have recruited the best talent. While the comparison of rosters shows comparable numbers of underclassmen, in their case they are playing younger skill position players than Oklahoma, a true freshman RB, another is half of their QB rotation with the other a sophomore seeing his first significant playing time, so there is some truth to the sa*et being a young team. Where Oklahoma is now reaping the benefit of younger players growing into the system, the whorns are at the beginning of the curve.

Oklahoma experience > sa*et youth

OU wins this one BIG

On a related note, it is official, Gilby is transferring . . .

mightysooner
10/5/2011, 11:36 PM
I can agree with that. No reason we lose unless the whorn coaches dial up their best game in quite some time. Just don't see it. Again, whorns will be happy with 4-1 start compared to expectations coming into season.

Bryan Harsin is the same guy who's offense left Venables standing on the sidelines cluelessly deer eyed and wearing clown shoes back in 2007 in the fiesta bowl. I think we win, but I think Venables will be wearing some clown shoes for a portion of the game for sure. Expect to see the hook and ladder.