PDA

View Full Version : Stoops philosopy on keeping Landry in the game when the game is in hand

SoonerObsession
10/2/2011, 06:34 PM
Let me start by saying I love Bob Stoops and the day he leaves I will cry like a baby. One of the only things I disagree with him about in his decision making, is keeping starting qb's in when the game is out of hand. I think he should have been pulled after the 1st td of the 3rd quarter that made the game 45-6. He finished the 3rd quarter and could have very easily been hurt. Why not put in back up qb with the 1st string for a series or 2? It looks bad too. It looks like we are trying to run up the score, when I know we are not. Anyone hear him say why he does this?

rekamrettuB
10/2/2011, 06:37 PM
He says he wants them all to play a certain number of snaps each game. When OU was scoring so quickly in the 3rd qtr, those players weren't getting the snaps. I know it's an odd philsophy but it's his and we gots to accept it I guess.

thatmediadude
10/2/2011, 06:43 PM
What I have noticed over the years is Stoops doesn't run plays that gives Landry a chance to get hurt. We mainly ran the ball and when we did pass, it was quick passes or we had backs blocking. No waiting. I think Landry got hit once the whole game. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Lott's Bandana
10/2/2011, 06:47 PM
I think he keeps them playing so they aren't on the bench tweeting something stupid or getting really, really drunk.

Good thinking, IMO.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2011, 07:04 PM
I think it's a tough line to draw. If the players are getting useful snaps that help the team improve, don't want to pull them too soon. This team is still fairly young and can certainly still improve. That has to be weighed against the risk of injuries and getting useful snaps for 2nd line players. I personally discount the reps for 2nd line players when they are substituted wholesale as the game usually degrades to simple plays and a bunch of mistakes. And we rotate in 2nd line players at all times and that's when it really helps. So it comes down to more reps vs. risk of injury to starter. I have been surprised we keep them in so long, but pulling them right after halftime is too soon regardless of score.

AceSooner
10/2/2011, 07:07 PM
I liked it just for the fact you had a better chance of Landry getting the ball to some guys, like Jaz, some more getting them ready for the ball to come their way next week.

MichiganSooner
10/2/2011, 07:11 PM
I agree with Obsession. The backup needs quality reps in live game. Landry could go down at any moment just like Sam and Jason did.

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 07:11 PM
The score, and having the starters in longer than some liked may have sounded bad if you were just reading about it, but if you were watching/listening, then you know that it could probably have been 100-6 if Stoops doesn't call off the dogs in the 3rd.

IslandSooner
10/2/2011, 08:03 PM
I have always thought that i would love to see the SOONERS win a game 100-6:):):)

BeaSooner
10/2/2011, 08:29 PM
I have always thought that i would love to see the SOONERS win a game 100-6:):):)

There's always next week.

Lott's Bandana
10/2/2011, 08:41 PM
^^ nice ^^

SoonerMom2
10/2/2011, 08:52 PM
He says he wants them all to play a certain number of snaps each game. When OU was scoring so quickly in the 3rd qtr, those players weren't getting the snaps. I know it's an odd philsophy but it's his and we gots to accept it I guess.

On Twitter, an OU person just posted that we scored seven touchdowns in 12 minutes which would equal 49 points! With scoring like that Landry probably did not have the snaps they wanted him to have before TX. Our line was doing an excellent job of protecting him.

tulsaoilerfan
10/2/2011, 09:32 PM
On Twitter, an OU person just posted that we scored seven touchdowns in 12 minutes which would equal 49 points! With scoring like that Landry probably did not have the snaps they wanted him to have before TX. Our line was doing an excellent job of protecting him.

Still all it takes is one play; myself i would have rather seen him on the bench early in the 3rd than after the 3rd

Tear Down This Wall
10/2/2011, 11:41 PM
Switzer would have second team guy in during the second quarter sometimes. Third teamers would get into the act in blowouts as well.

I remember in the mid-80s, Eric Mitchel getting plenty of playing time...and seeing Glenn Sullivan mop after that!

Until someone gets injured, Stoops will continue this bit of stupidity. I think it's why we have a down year every four years or so also - no one gets much real playing time behind the starters.

Yet another reason Switzer will always be king: the guy knew how to manage the roster and depth.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 11:47 PM
I wonder if we should just keep Jones or any other starter on the bench the entire game, seeing as it only takes one play to get hurt.

I don't recall ever seeing anything saying that injuries occur only after the game is out of hand.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 11:48 PM
Switzer would have second team guy in during the second quarter sometimes. Third teamers would get into the act in blowouts as well.

I remember in the mid-80s, Eric Mitchel getting plenty of playing time...and seeing Glenn Sullivan mop after that!

Until someone gets injured, Stoops will continue this bit of stupidity. I think it's why we have a down year every four years or so also - no one gets much real playing time behind the starters.

Yet another reason Switzer will always be king: the guy know how to manage the roster and depth.

It is easier to do when you had Tailbacks as QBs. There is also a reason that Switzer didn't put QBs into the NFL.

King Barry's Back
10/2/2011, 11:56 PM

Let's face it, Coach Stoops has had a little bit of success with this philosophy.

King Barry's Back
10/2/2011, 11:59 PM
I think he keeps them playing so they aren't on the bench tweeting something stupid or getting really, really drunk.

Good thinking, IMO.

Remember in the 70s? In blowouts on the road, by the fourth quarter, the starters would have their jerseys/pads/t-shirts off and be sun tanning on the sidelines. They'd go up in the stands and sign autographs for the kids. They'd buy hot dogs from the vendors. Yeah, today they'd be tweeting, SMSing and "getting really, really drunk."

King Barry's Back
10/3/2011, 12:05 AM
Still all it takes is one play; myself i would have rather seen him on the bench early in the 3rd than after the 3rd

That's me, too, but Bob seems to know more about football than me, so I'll let him decide.

On a slightly different track - really how useful is it for a back up to get, say, another 4 snaps in a "live game" -- especially when considering that OU would be up by 30 points when they enter?

Their duties would consist of about four hand offs and a flat pass, something like that, maybe throw in a kneel down.

Sure, it's easy to argue that such snaps wouldn't help the starter much either, but I just don't buy that the backups are really being deprived.

47straight
10/3/2011, 03:59 AM

Glenn Sullivan right chere

<-------------------------------

Tear Down This Wall
10/3/2011, 12:31 PM
Glenn, was the 3rd Team Bomb! He'd never see the field under Stoops.

I think even Kyle Irvin got some snaps back in those days as well. R.T. Maloney before he transferred to Tulsa, etc.

Until Bob's got as many national titles as Barry, Barry is the King.

PrideMom
10/3/2011, 12:50 PM
I think it was more for Ikard to be snapping to Jones. They only had Landry hand off and he stepped WAY back from the play in the third quarter. Also, OU had to start deep in Ball State's territory, and no sense in giving up easy field position.....

BigTip
10/3/2011, 01:32 PM
I'll say it.
He wants him to get some numbers. Maybe win a Heisman. That helps recruiting. "Come to OU and win a Heisman. OU is where you can get national recognition."

The Maestro
10/3/2011, 01:39 PM
Stoops has been this way since he got here and it's not changing. Just wondering what idiot at his press conference will ask him about tomorrow and **** him off.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah, it's been this way for 13 season now...Right or wrong

stoopified
10/3/2011, 01:43 PM
I wish Bob would play the backup qb more BUT he never has so I have just learned to accept it.

picasso
10/3/2011, 02:00 PM
So the OP is saying we had hand?

pphilfran
10/3/2011, 02:15 PM
So it is Stoops' philosophy....

OU back ups have thrown 13 passes this year...

Wilson has taken every snap for Whisky
Oregon backups have thrown a total of 13 passes
Clemson back ups have thrown a total of 1 pass this year
Poke back ups have 6 passes
Mich 5 passes
LSU 11
Bama 13

If the game is a blowout all the qb will be is an automatic hand off machine...

You leave your starter in until there are no more meaningful snaps...

starclassic tama
10/3/2011, 07:32 PM
i think people miss the point when it comes to leaving the starters in. stoops doesn't just do it because he is stupid, or likes to run the score up. each snap a player takes is more learning and experience. what if a player makes a mistake during garbage time that he can correct, and sees that same type of play in the national championship game when the game is tied with 2:00 left?

Jacie
10/3/2011, 07:50 PM
As philfran showed with the actual numbers, playing the starter till it is all but over is the norm, not the exception.

But sometimes, the exception is what works and that is what Mack Brown or at least his OC (or is that OC's?) is doing. After benching Gilby, the remaining whorn QB's had zero game experience. So, rather than throwing one out there to sink or swim, they have gone with a two QB rotation and we can expect they will play both McCoy and Ash on Saturday.

Does it work? So far so good for Mack and the whorns. In two games, Gilby was 15-31, 1 TD, 2 INTs. McCoy/Ash are 39-56, 4 TDs, 0 INTs.

It also helps the pair of young QBs that sa*et has finally taken a step toward establishing a running game with freshman Malcolm Brown and senior Fozzy Whitaker averaging a combined 110 yd/game.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-texasquarterbacks

Longhorns keeping QB rotation for Sooners
By JIM VERTUNO, AP Sports Writer

AUSTIN, Texas (AP)—For a Texas quarterback, there is no quicker way to winning the hearts of Longhorns fans than to beat Oklahoma.

Take Peter Gardere, for example. From 1989-1992, Gardere went 25-16 as the Texas starter and is still known as “Peter the Great” for beating the Sooners four times in a row.

In 2006, Colt McCoy was still a fresh-faced country boy replacing Texas hero Vince Young when he rallied the Longhorns to the first of his three career victories over the Sooners. That win was just the beginning of McCoy’s love affair with Texas fans.

McCoy’s younger brother, Case, can take a big step in that direction Saturday but he won’t be alone.

The Longhorns (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) plan to stick with their quarterback rotation against the No. 3 Sooners (4-0, 1-0) in Dallas, which means sophomore McCoy will be sharing time with freshman David Ash. Oklahoma will have junior quarterback Landry Jones, who will be playing his third game against Texas

The intensity of the Red River Rivalry has overwhelmed many first-year starting quarterbacks. Texas coach Mack Brown acknowledged the advantage for Oklahoma but didn’t sound the least bit worried about his youngsters.

“They are ready for this,” Brown said. “You never know what’s going to happen in a game like this. But there’s no doubt the pressure’s also on them more than us because of that. I mean, they’re supposed to win and we’re getting better. That’s fact, whether you like it or not. If you think, would I rather have a five-year quarterback or a freshman and sophomore, yes.”

McCoy, who started the last two games after taking over for Garrett Gilbert, grew up watching his brother play the Sooners and is familiar with the rivalry’s frenzied atmosphere in the Cotton Bowl. The fans are split evenly at the 50-yard line and the pressure never lets up.

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables compared Case McCoy to Colt, who beat the Sooners in 2006, 2008 and 2009. Like his older brother, Case McCoy is considered a playmaker who keeps plays alive by scrambling out of trouble and has a knack for finding open receivers in the nick of time.

“He’s got `it,”’ said Venables, who probably thought he was done with the McCoy family for good. “It’s easy to see. You hate it. It’s like `Oh my God, these guys.”’

Ash, whose teammates call him “Dash,” was primarily considered the better runner in the first three games. Now the Texas coaching staff is starting to open the playbook. Ash and McCoy split snaps against Iowa State over the weekend and both were 7 of 12 passing. Ash also threw two touchdowns.

Brown said he sees no reason not to use a similar rotation against the Sooners.

“It’s who we are right now,” Brown said. “It takes pressure off both quarterbacks because neither one has to carry the whole thing on his shoulders. If somebody has a hot hand you just might leave them in. But if a guy struggles, you don’t have to leave him in.”

Texas running back Fozzy Whittaker said having McCoy and Ash ready to jump in should help keep the Sooners off balance.

“I feel like having Case and Dash back there provides some versatility for us,” Whittaker said. “It will be harder for Oklahoma to stop because they will have to game plan for two quarterbacks.”

The game has been known to get the best of even good quarterbacks.

Texas’ Chris Simms went 26-6 as starter but was part of three straight losses to the Sooners. Texas was using a Simms-Major Applewhite rotation in 2000 when Oklahoma romped 63-14 (Applewhite started) and Simms started and finished losses in 2001 and 2002.

Simms was the first Texas quarterback since Bobby Layne in the 1940s to beat rival Texas A&M three times in his career, but his legacy was severely tarnished by the losses in the Cotton Bowl.

Young went 30-2 as a starter with one of those losses coming in a 12-0 defeat to the Sooners in 2004, Texas’ first shutout loss in 25 years. Some Texas fans said Young should move to wide receiver.

He never lost another game in leading the Longhorns to the 2005 national championship. Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford beat Texas as a freshman in 2007 but lost in 2008, the same year he won the Heisman Trophy, and was knocked out of the game with a shoulder injury in 2009.

Ash told his teammates he has watched Texas-Oklahoma on TV but never attended the game. That means he has never pushed through the fans on the State Fair midway to get to the stadium, never been close to the teams storming onto the field through the same tunnel and never heard the ceaseless roar from the crowd.

Linebacker Emmanuel Acho told Ash to be ready for anything. Every touchdown, turnover and momentum shift can be matched in a heartbeat.

“Just don’t be shocked by anything,” Acho said “Just make sure you stay level-headed throughout the game.”