PDA

View Full Version : STEP- Sam Bradford Question

yankee
10/2/2011, 06:05 PM
Sam is struggling this year...have you watched film on him or anything? Has he taken a step back into a sophomore slump of sorts or is he just on a crappy team?

And not just STEP...anyone who has watched him play (I have not yet), what are your thoughts?

bluedogok
10/2/2011, 06:16 PM
I will take a shot at some points....

The lockout hurt all young QB's, the fact that he has a new OC and no off-season time with him hurt the development of the entire offense. The lack of working with new receivers and injuries to the few returning receiver hurt. I think one of the biggest problems is the o-line problems. The Rams have a lot of issues that needed addressing and it will take awhile for them to take care of them.

The Rams also play a harder schedule because of the moderate success they had last season, this is pretty common for teams who were cellar dwellers one year and had a good season the next. The NFL schedule makers bring you back to earth when you are a mediocre team.

I think they are still a few years away from being a highly competitive team, they have way too many personnel holes to fill through the draft and free agency. The offense should be better next year with a year of development.

Therealsouthsider
10/2/2011, 06:20 PM
...his receiving corps leads the NFL in dropped passes and he is on track to be sacked 70+ times...otherwise he looks fantastic

oumartin
10/2/2011, 06:36 PM
He didn't throw a pick today which is uncommon but that kid has no protection and noone to throw to.

rekamrettuB
10/2/2011, 06:38 PM
It has absolutely noting to do with Sam. Receivers are horrible and the line is sucking. I took St Lou under 7.5 wins this season after seeing teir schedule. It's brutal. Lots of good defenses. I pray he makes it through the season and on to next.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2011, 07:12 PM
I've watched some parts of a couple of games. It would be really hard to judge any QB on that team; it is a weak team in almost every area. Changing OC during the offseason with a lockout doubled the problems on that side of the ball. I do fear for Sam that this organization is not going anywhere and he is stuck there for a while. I hope it is just a small setback from the lockout combined their particular situation.

ashley
10/2/2011, 07:15 PM
Good heavens, he has no help. What do you expect?

SanJoaquinSooner
10/2/2011, 08:24 PM
A brutal schedule for the first 7 games. They could go 0-7 easily.

Philadelphia (0-0) L 13 - 31
Mon 9/19 New York Giants at NY Giants (0-1) L 16 - 28
Sun 9/25 Baltimore Ravens Baltimore (1-1) L 7 - 37
Sun 10/2 Washington Redskins Washington (2-1) L 10 - 17
Bye
Sun 10/16 Green Bay Packers at Green Bay 1:00 pm
Sun 10/23 Dallas Cowboys at Dallas 4:15 pm
Sun 10/30 New Orleans Saints New Orleans

Collier11
10/2/2011, 08:48 PM
OU has better receivers

hawaii 5-0
10/2/2011, 08:58 PM
The offensive line is offensive.
Receivers are dropping balls.
Sam isn't throwing it on the money as we're used to. Low balls, behind the receiver, etc.

A little of everything.

5-0

OUbasketball4life
10/2/2011, 09:04 PM
I would say Bradford should redo his contract and give up some money and get him some receivers :smug: It won't hurt his pocketbook, theres only so many ping pong tables and Chevy pick ups he can buy

47straight
10/2/2011, 09:42 PM
Those receivers drop everything thrown their way. They're professional football players, for crying out loud. Receivers are supposed to CATCH THE DADGUM BALL

NathanStinson
10/2/2011, 09:44 PM
I saw a stat during the game today that said he leads the NFL in % of passes under pressure at 30%... that is an insane stat

SCxxSOONER
10/2/2011, 09:58 PM
I'd say Sam has been a little out of sync with his receivers..but god they are awful and the oline cant block anyone. he is a great qb but you could put peyton on that team and he would lose.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 10:08 PM
If I were Sam, I would be demanding to be traded!

mOUse
10/2/2011, 10:16 PM
With Steven Jackson coming back and Mark Clayton coming back off the PUP in 2 weeks, and an easier 2nd half schedule...his stats may wind up exceeding last years...Patience my freind.

Tear Down This Wall
10/2/2011, 11:34 PM
My thoughts are the same as my thoughts about Uncle Rico and Colt McCoy...and anyone who played QB at Texas Tech under Mike Leach:

(1) He's a system quarterback now trying to play outside the college system that allowed him to put up huge numbers, and
(2) he's now playing against real defenses week in and week out. There are no Baylor- or Iowa State-type breaks in the NFL. Even the crappiest teams have decent pass rushers and speed in their secondaries.

And,
(3) If St. Louis refuses to sign any decent receivers, it won't matter who plays QB for them, they will suck.

King Barry's Back
10/3/2011, 12:16 AM
My thoughts are the same as my thoughts about Uncle Rico and Colt McCoy...and anyone who played QB at Texas Tech under Mike Leach:

(1) He's a system quarterback now trying to play outside the college system that allowed him to put up huge numbers, and
(2) he's now playing against real defenses week in and week out. There are no Baylor- or Iowa State-type breaks in the NFL. Even the crappiest teams have decent pass rushers and speed in their secondaries.

And,
(3) If St. Louis refuses to sign any decent receivers, it won't matter who plays QB for them, they will suck.

I'm sorry. Isn't the point of this thread that Sam as an NFL rookie seemed to be playing better than he is this year as a returning starter? That's a comparison between NFL seasons, and nothing to do with college.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2011, 09:03 AM
I haven't read the other responses, so mine will probably be a repeat of everyone else

1. OC change without an offseason...I had posted the teams that would probably be the most succcessful early in the season would be teams that didn't make any coaching or quarterback changes...
2. Tough schedule early
3. Still without a true #1 WR...They really could have address that in the draft, but chose not to.
4. The Rams offense last year protected Sam..The WRs ran the basic routes that Oklahoma liked to run and it was very basic..very very basic.. Short dink and dunk passes that didn't require much really..Not a lot of reads, not trying to fit the ball into tight windows..McDaniels wants to throw the ball down the field therefore requiring more from the quarterback. He has increased about 3 yards per completion this year but his completion percentage is down about 9 or 10points.
5. The defense is making this team look worse than last year's. Offensively, St Louis wasn't that good last year. Near the bottom in about every offensive category, but they played pretty well defensively.

This is basicallly a 2nd rookie year for Sam with a new offense..and they better hope McDaniels is around next year also, or it's going to put him even further behind. NFL quarterback prestige is based on winning and losing..IMO, The rams will not win big games trying to do what they did last year with short completions to Mark Clayton or Amendola..They will be a 7-8 win team with that kind of offense every year, so he has to be able to complete those NFL routes down the field at higher percentages..He can't be Matt Leinart always checking down because he doesn't trust himself to make that throw..

swardboy
10/3/2011, 11:07 AM
The o-line has been a major bust for the Rams this year SO FAR. Last year's #1 drafted tackle (Saffold) has regressed significantly for whatever reason.

Sam is now calling out the blocking assignments, a major challenge without a real pre-season of learning imho. However, his struggles this year with it will really "make" him in the future. But the supporting cast HAS to improve.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2011, 12:03 PM
Part of that, again, is that they are trying to go downfield more...Can't hit or sack a quarterback throwing quick routes..Also, with him calling out his blocking assignments, Some of the hits maybe him making some wrong calls...And them not having an offseason to work with a different OC. It's more than one thing

That's the part of college offenses these days that really has dampered quarterback play in the NFL...And also shows why they love Andrew Luck, who already is doing a lot of this stuff.

This situation is all of them struggling..WRs OL, QB, RB....And I imagine with McDaniels being the arrogant prick he is, the lockerroom is probably not a good place to be.

sappstuf
10/3/2011, 12:11 PM
Those receivers drop everything thrown their way. They're professional football players, for crying out loud. Receivers are supposed to CATCH THE DADGUM BALL

Yesterday Bradford hit a reciever right in the hands on a crossing route.... Dropped. That was the 3rd or 4th drop to that point. The announcer said it looked like the Rams were still in preseason... Ouch.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2011, 01:03 PM
The Rams aren't the only team with drop problems..There are about 5 teams all tied with the same amount of drops..Colt McCoy's receivers aren't any better..Carolina's got em..Steve Smith has dropped more passes than anyone from the Rams..Dwayne Bowe's drops double anyone for St Louis..Targets are the important stat...

The Rams 1 right now and Bradford just don't have a good connection football wise..and the new guy they brought in, Sims Walker, is not even in the same area code with his quarterback..

soonercoop1
10/3/2011, 04:31 PM
St Louis has the worst collection of WRs in the NFL and a very suspect O-line....