PDA

View Full Version : Bowling in South end zone

jthomasou78
10/2/2011, 04:37 PM
I've never really heard why they dont bowl in the South End Zone. Is it not worth the money it would cost to do it? Or is it archetecturally too difficult? How many seats would it add if they did it?

cleller
10/2/2011, 04:42 PM
It would mess with the wind that comes sweepin down the plain.

OUHOMER
10/2/2011, 04:43 PM
dont know, but I think it helps get a breeze in on those hot days.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/2/2011, 04:43 PM
I really hope this doesn't happen. I think it would take away from the football game. Plus, I am a horrible bowler.

oudivesherpa
10/2/2011, 04:54 PM
We would be adding poor seats and need additional donors to pay for the improvements, it doesn't sound like a sound business decision.

TMcGee86
10/2/2011, 04:57 PM
Plus the flag would be in everybody's way.

badger
10/2/2011, 05:00 PM
We would be adding poor seats and need additional donors to pay for the improvements, it doesn't sound like a sound business decision.

Yeah, if they were to add more skyboxes somewhere in addition to bowl in the endzone, then I could see such a project, but just adding seats doesn't do anything really money-wise. And it's all about money of course, no sarcasm. The state is cutting into the higher ed budget too much to not think about $$$

SoonerMom2
10/2/2011, 05:18 PM
Someone said they put in the footers during the last addition to someday enclose the north end zone. I think the Switzer Center would interfer with the south end zone plus it not all the way around like the north end zone. The south end zone is a separate entity.

BajaOklahoma
10/2/2011, 05:26 PM
Forty years ago, the south end zone was bleachers.

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 05:29 PM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with my perception, but I like that we have a stand alone end-zone section. I used to think it would be cool if they connected the east and west stands in the north end zone with an upper deck, but then it would just look like the Horseshoe.

We have a stadium big enough to match our history and tradition. It's not Notre Dame, Michigan or Tennessee big, but it's a great stadium.

I was watching something the other day, and it was well before the brickwork was done inside the stadium. My son said "where did they used to play?". That and the replacement of the artificial turf (with the HUGE crown) were the best things that's been done.

oudavid1
10/2/2011, 06:42 PM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with my perception, but I like that we have a stand alone end-zone section. I used to think it would be cool if they connected the east and west stands in the north end zone with an upper deck, but then it would just look like the Horseshoe.

We have a stadium big enough to match our history and tradition. It's not Notre Dame, Michigan or Tennessee big, but it's a great stadium.

I was watching something the other day, and it was well before the brickwork was done inside the stadium. My son said "where did they used to play?". That and the replacement of the artificial turf (with the HUGE crown) were the best things that's been done.

Neyland Stadium is an amazing venue.

Lott's Bandana
10/2/2011, 06:49 PM
Take away that South Breeze and us East-siders would end up a sticky pud of goo.

Salt City Sooner
10/2/2011, 06:54 PM

Don't know if it's specifically what you're referring to, but our official seating capacity is slightly higher than Notre Dame's.

SunnySooner
10/2/2011, 06:58 PM
IDK where, but I read at some point that it is not architecturally feasible to bowl the SEZ in, the rows don't match up, the foundations are not what they would need to be, etc. You would basically have to tear it all down and start over from scratch.

I think it would also take out some practice fields, no? Anyway, the gist of the article was that it would never happen. They would build the rest of the stadium 10 stories high before they would enclose the SEZ.

I, too, also think it looks cool the way it is, and yeah, who doesn't like a nice breeze?

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 07:13 PM
Don't know if it's specifically what you're referring to, but our official seating capacity is slightly higher than Notre Dame's.

You know, I didn't know that. I was thinking Michigan (and just threw ND in there)...maybe Penn State.

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 07:19 PM
Neyland Stadium is an amazing venue.

I've been to a couple of games there, and it is a great venue. The river running right next to it makes it pretty cool.

yankee
10/2/2011, 07:28 PM
If we added seats, I do think our sell-out streak would end not long after it's completion.

SoonerMom2
10/2/2011, 07:54 PM
As someone who sits on the NE side, no way would I want it closed in -- we would roast with no breeze. Thoroughly enjoying the night games. Couldn't wait for the sun to go down last night.

sooner KB
10/2/2011, 08:32 PM
IDK where, but I read at some point that it is not architecturally feasible to bowl the SEZ in, the rows don't match up, the foundations are not what they would need to be, etc. You would basically have to tear it all down and start over from scratch.

And the slopes are quite obviously at very different angles. Even if it could be engineered correctly, it would look very awkward. Tearing it down seems feasible to me. We would lose both practice fields though, along with that Jenkins/Lindsey intersection.

TAFBSooner
10/3/2011, 09:27 AM
It all depends on the continued viability of the RRS. If they screwed that up, either by not playing because of conference realignment or by moving to Jerry World, season ticket sales would fall off considerably. And season tickets are the only reason the Ball States on the schedule are "sold out." So I believe it will be a long time before you seen any sort of stadium expansion.

FtwTxSooner
10/3/2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not advocating it, though the student section could be moved to the poorer seats in a bowled in south endzone. That would open up better seats to sell to donors. In essence, you'd be adding premium seats.

oudavid1
10/3/2011, 10:58 AM
I've been to a couple of games there, and it is a great venue. The river running right next to it makes it pretty cool.

SO JEALOUS!!!

badger
10/3/2011, 11:05 AM
If they were to do anything to add to the existing stadium, I think it would be to add skyboxes/luxury seating in the north endzone. They would probably not get as much of a premium as they would for sideline seating, but they'd probably make tons more off those than the sardine bleacher seating below. Plus, there's room to expand in the north endzone while there really isn't in the south endzone.

oudavid1
10/3/2011, 11:31 AM
Friend of mine just sent me this, I wish I was on ole Rocky Top.

http://a.yfrog.com/img861/6953/71nw.jpg

Good Lord.

LVSOONER15
10/3/2011, 11:35 AM
Wow, great Rocky Top.

Fraggle145
10/3/2011, 11:47 AM

Good Lord.

Weak sauce compared to Ole Miss.

OUstud
10/3/2011, 11:51 AM

http://a.yfrog.com/img861/6953/71nw.jpg

Good Lord.

Yeah. They must work out.

sooner59
10/3/2011, 12:00 PM
I don't ever see them messing with the south endzone for the reasons that Sunny said. IF...they ever added, it would probably be the north end and I don't think it would look exactly like the Horseshoe. Similar, but with our east and west upper decks being different than tOSU, it would look a little different. I think it is fine the way it is currently, but it would be kind of cool if you could sell the tickets to keep the sell-outs going. I don't think there is any way that OU would try to match the height of the east and west decks. Those wouldn't line up either. If anything, they could just add the club seating with skyboxes like Badger said. If those sold, it would look pretty cool, and just add money as those would be for the people with more money. It would probably free up better seats for the poorer folks like me and reduce the resale prices from people snatching them up at face (brokers, scalpers, etc.). Don't know logistically how viable that would be, but its about the only thing I see being worth the effort and cost to the athletic department.

oudavid1
10/3/2011, 12:00 PM
Weak sauce compared to Ole Miss.

I think they did pretty well.

Yeah. They must work out.

Love this.

Taxman71
10/3/2011, 12:49 PM
I heard the next expansion would be the replacement of the press box, presumably with suites/club level spanning north to south. I don't see OU adding more regular priced seats.

pphilfran
10/3/2011, 01:55 PM
Screw that...we should build a giant azz 5 Star hotel with room windows facing the field...have one floor as a bar with game viewing angles...

The big screen won't fit so we need to move that to the other end....no, wait, hang it from wires like they do with the camera thingy and move that bad boy around...

oudavid1
10/5/2011, 10:37 AM
I heard the next expansion would be the replacement of the press box, presumably with suites/club level spanning north to south. I don't see OU adding more regular priced seats.

I have heard the same. Press box should be next.

badger
10/5/2011, 10:49 AM
I'm not advocating it, though the student section could be moved to the poorer seats in a bowled in south endzone. That would open up better seats to sell to donors. In essence, you'd be adding premium seats.

I'd be for that for a different reason: The students crowd as close as they can to the 50 yard line and leave tons of empty space in the corner as a result. They're cramming twice as many people as they should in the mid field seats and leaving tons of space unclaimed. If they were in an endzone, they might not be so quick to crowd to one side.

Plus, seeing student sections in endzone seats is just kind of cool when you see it on TV and the announcers often bring it up (ruh, roh, they're on the student side of the field now!).

BUT... we have a big huge winning streak going and I'm not sure I want to see stuff switched up right now :)

Fraggle145
10/5/2011, 10:52 AM
I'd be for that for a different reason: The students crowd as close as they can to the 50 yard line and leave tons of empty space in the corner as a result. They're cramming twice as many people as they should in the mid field seats and leaving tons of space unclaimed. If they were in an endzone, they might not be so quick to crowd to one side.

Plus, seeing student sections in endzone seats is just kind of cool when you see it on TV and the announcers often bring it up (ruh, roh, they're on the student side of the field now!).

BUT... we have a big huge winning streak going and I'm not sure I want to see stuff switched up right now :)

Assigned seating in the student section would fix the problem. JMHO.

badger
10/5/2011, 10:54 AM
Assigned seating in the student section would fix the problem. JMHO.

Enforcement of assigned seating = non existent. There might be some complainers, but people in general would likely sit next to their friends regardless of what their ticket said.

Lott's Bandana
10/5/2011, 11:04 AM

This would suck in a close game after halftime when the cameras show empty stands.

jumperstop
10/5/2011, 11:04 AM
And I like there always being extra seats in the student section. When I sell my extra season tickets, there is always almost a guarantee they won't be taking up a seat next to me.

allanace16
10/5/2011, 11:31 AM
I really don't see why student seating for the season can't be done like OU-Texas. After everyone buys tickets, you can group them the first week of school (when we won't have a game anyway) and then seats are assigned for the year. Only people that might have beef with that are freshmen who haven't made friends yet, and they honestly get the ticket screwjob as it is, so this should be nothing new.

As for bowling in the S EZ, I don't see why it's such a big deal since our stadium isn't really a "bowl" as is, but the only way I could see it working is totally tearing out the current seats & trying to start over. But to do that, I think you'd have to combine it with an effort to add an upper deck to the north EZ so you don't lose capacity, cause I'm assuming the process for tearing all that out and rebuilding it would be more than the course of an offseason. I don't think it'd take that to add a deck to the north end. But I wasn't here when we got the East upper deck. How long did that take?

prrriiide
10/5/2011, 01:50 PM

There's also a river running under it. This part of E TN is honeycombed with limestone caverns and caves. There's one deep under Neyland. Can't get into it, of course, but it's there.