PDA

View Full Version : 10 things I learned this weekend (the OU is on PPV edition)

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 01:05 PM
With no Sooners to watch (only listen to), I was able to watch a little more college football this weekend, and here's what I learned:

1. Every SEC conference game played is the equivalent to the national title game. According to CBS's Gary Danielson.
2. Even the old ball coach can't get a replay on a game ending on-the-field call.
3. Iowa State is who we thought they were.
4. Kansas should never go too far back for throwback uniforms.
5. Andrew Luck is really as good as people say he is.
6. A lot of Tim Tebow jerseys are still being worn to UF games.
7. Wisconsin may or may not have an elephant, a rhino and a blue whale on their offensive line.
8. Notre Dame is now "the absolute best 3-2 team in the country" according to NBC game announcers.
9. A&M moving to the SEC is going to be fun for all the fans of the remaining Big XII schools.
10. I hate PPV.

Feel free to add the things you learned...

OUInformant
10/2/2011, 01:18 PM
The SEC should be a couple divisions in the NFL, according to SEC homers.

Texas is all-world, per Texas fans, because they beat Iowa St in Ames.

Florida stinks. Notre Dame stinks.

A&M's program is run by a bunch of idiots, including the coaches and administration.

OU is still #1 in the poll that counts.

salth2o
10/2/2011, 01:26 PM
11. TRRW's was not born to be a sideline reporter.
12. PPV is teh succ. Especially when Comcast does not pick up the HD feed.
13. aTm is like Lebron James in the post season. If you asked either for a dollar, they could only give you $0.75 since neither has a 4th quarter.
14. Toby is a great replacement for BBS. Different, but good. I do miss "Touchdown Oklahoma!" though.

MyT Oklahoma
10/2/2011, 02:08 PM
11. TRRW's was not born to be a sideline reporter.
12. PPV is teh succ. Especially when Comcast does not pick up the HD feed.
13. aTm is like Lebron James in the post season. If you asked either for a dollar, they could only give you $0.75 since neither has a 4th quarter.
14. Toby is a great replacement for BBS. Different, but good. I do miss "Touchdown Oklahoma!" though.

"TOUCHDOWN.. OKLAHOMA!"

P.S. Me too.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/2/2011, 02:11 PM
15. OU has too many flaws to go undefeated this year.

Widescreen
10/2/2011, 02:18 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CLfhzawY-kQ/TlglYxF8-3I/AAAAAAAAAw8/Qdag0WUHcnQ/s1600/Debbie+Downer.jpg

You seem to be having fun today posting that stuff. You may be right. How many years of pessimism is it for you? I kind of miss your weekly mojo post.

oumartin
10/2/2011, 02:21 PM

Here is what OU has that no other team cept maybe Wisconsin has.

It's the ability to score a bunch of points in a hurry.

We've seen that the defense has the ability to be as dominant as LSU and Bama though for whatever reason they dont' do it on a consistant level.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/2/2011, 02:27 PM
It isn't pessimisim. I am going with reality this year. I was as optimistic as you can possibly be at the beginning of the year. The reason was I thought that Landry had gotten rid of "the shakes" after the Mizzou game last year. He stood tall and played with, dare I say, confidence.

Something is wrong with him through four games this year, though. He is not playing with any confidence. Really, he looks like he is playing with the weight of the team, Austin Box, his pending nuptuals, the expectations of a university and state, all on his shoulders. He is playing as if he is terrified of making a mistake. (Understand, not that I blame him. He is playing under more pressure than most of us will encounter in our lifetimes.)

It's like he needs to have a loss just to get some relief. Then he can cut loose.

But... that's not all that is wrong with our team right now. Our d-line did not give Wenning time to throw the rock with any accuracy. And that is good. But Ball State's receivers ran pretty free most of the evening. And we will play some teams coming up here that have better lines, better QBs, and better receivers.

Then, our rushing attack didn't impress me last night... not against Ball State. If we have re-established a strong ground game, then we should have run all over them FIRST quarter, not fourth.

And special teams. Just... UGH. Has Tim Duncan used all his eligibility... are we sure?

101sooner
10/2/2011, 02:31 PM
But... that's not all that is wrong with our team right now. Our d-line did not give Wenning time to throw the rock with any accuracy. And that is good. But Ball State's receivers ran pretty free most of the evening. And we will play some teams coming up here that have better lines, better QBs, and better receivers.

Ball state was 14/36 for 95yds, 0 td's and 3 int's.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/2/2011, 02:39 PM
Ball state was 14/36 for 95yds, 0 td's and 3 int's.

You completely missed the point. Largely this was due to Wenning not having sufficient time to get the ball out accurately. But our coverage in the secondary was spotty at best. Their receivers were open most of the night. What happens against a good offense that can protect their better-than-average QB, and can create even more separation with better than average receivers? (Think Baylor and oSu.) I'm not convinced our D is there yet. Gotta see more out of them.

With any luck they'll prove me 100% wrong this week against Texas.

LiveLaughLove
10/2/2011, 02:51 PM
I listened to the aTm broadcast against Arkie. Very interesting to say the least. Won't do it justice, but here is a facsimile by text of what I heard.

"Hey how about these Texas recruits we have playing for us?!"
"Well, they are the best ever...they're Texas kids after all!"
"Yes they are! We are going to kill the SEC because of all of these superior athletes from Texas!"
"Arkansas just scored a TD and extra point.""Now back to how great our athletes are!"
"Arkansas kicks off andDID YOU SEE THE BLAZING SPEED AND HANDS OF OUR SUPERIOR ATHLETE AS HE CAUGHT THE KICKOFF AND RAN THREE STEPS BEFORE DOWNING IT IN THE END ZONE!?"
"Yes, I did! Only a Texas recruit could do that with such skill... Arkansas scores a touchdown and kicks the extra point"
"Back to how great our recruits are..!"

It was disgustingly ridiculous, yet train wreck-ishly entertaining.

SoonerMarkVA
10/2/2011, 03:12 PM
16. I learned that it was worth my time to set up radio streaming on my blackberry for games I'll miss. The play-by-play was a pleasure to listen to.

fadada1
10/2/2011, 03:15 PM
With no Sooners to watch (only listen to), I was able to watch a little more college football this weekend, and here's what I learned:

1. Every SEC conference game played is the equivalent to the national title game. According to CBS's Gary Danielson....and Musberger, Korso, James, May, Holtz...
2. Even the old ball coach can't get a replay on a game ending on-the-field call. Replay Ref probably went to UGA.
3. Iowa State is who we thought they were. Who????
4. Kansas should never go too far back for throwback uniforms. There was one?
5. Andrew Luck is really as good as people say he is. They play football on the west coast? Who knew?
6. A lot of Tim Tebow jerseys are still being worn to UF games. They give them out at Freshman orientation.
7. Wisconsin may or may not have an elephant, a rhino and a blue whale on their offensive line.But they still play in the Big10/12.
8. Notre Dame is now "the absolute best 3-2 team in the country" according to NBC game announcers.Good Lord!!! Do we STILL have to be told how great this team is? Seriously, they have their own "Helmet Sticker" section on ESPN - look it up.
9. A&M moving to the SEC is going to be fun for all the fans of the remaining Big XII schools.Karma is a motherf-er. See Nebraska.
10. I hate PPV.PPV sucked when boxing was still a good sport. Stupid concept.

Feel free to add the things you learned....

bluedogok
10/2/2011, 03:27 PM
According to many Whorn fans PPV is better than the LHN.

101sooner
10/2/2011, 04:13 PM
You completely missed the point. Largely this was due to Wenning not having sufficient time to get the ball out accurately. But our coverage in the secondary was spotty at best. Their receivers were open most of the night. What happens against a good offense that can protect their better-than-average QB, and can create even more separation with better than average receivers? (Think Baylor and oSu.) I'm not convinced our D is there yet. Gotta see more out of them.

With any luck they'll prove me 100% wrong this week against Texas.

Isn't it half a dozen one of the other? We pressured them so much that they couldn't hit the open receiver or we covered them so well they couldn't complete a pass?

What will happen is that OSU and Baylor will have a lot more yardage and score some points. That doesn't mean we are in trouble or that we will lose. Both of their defenses are a lot more suspect than ours and our offense presents a bigger problem for them.

I get your point, but no matter how we did it, against a weak team, we held them to the type of yardage and completion percentage that you would expect a good team to do against a weak team. If OU was playing ECU next week and you asked me to predict their passing yards and percentage, I'd say about 14/36 for 95yds, 0 td's and 3 int's.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/2/2011, 04:31 PM
Isn't it half a dozen one of the other? We pressured them so much that they couldn't hit the open receiver or we covered them so well they couldn't complete a pass?

What will happen is that OSU and Baylor will have a lot more yardage and score some points. That doesn't mean we are in trouble or that we will lose. Both of their defenses are a lot more suspect than ours and our offense presents a bigger problem for them.

I get your point, but no matter how we did it, against a weak team, we held them to the type of yardage and completion percentage that you would expect a good team to do against a weak team. If OU was playing ECU next week and you asked me to predict their passing yards and percentage, I'd say about 14/36 for 95yds, 0 td's and 3 int's.

As a lot of us have advocated for a long time, turnovers are misleading. You have to look at the execution as if the turnover didn't happen to predict what will happen in a game where you net 0 turnovers. That is why the Mizzou game is a much better barometer for how good our D is than the game against Ball State. That game pitted a veteran line (4 Srs, 1 Jr) that were able to neutralize our best unit (our DEs) and expose our weaker units (Our LBs/DTs/Ss). This allowed them to operate mistake free and put us under a LOT more pressure than we should have been in.

TheBobbyTrain
10/2/2011, 04:51 PM
I do miss "Touchdown Oklahoma!" though.

Thanks to the John Blake era it had become "Touchdown, Oklahoma... No Flags!!"

101sooner
10/2/2011, 04:56 PM
We'll see about the LBs/DTs/Ss. I'm giving them a pass on the Missouri game. In my opinion, we were flat. Leaving Doak Campbell Stadium I told my buddy that we would be flat against Missouri no matter how much we tried not to be. That's exactly the way Lewis and Wort looked at times. Flat footed. Missouri blew our entire front seven off the line on a short and goal early in the game, but just a week before, FSU couldn't do that in Tallahassee.

Let's see what happens against Texas. Harsin will test us.

oudivesherpa
10/2/2011, 07:31 PM
17. Listening to the radio and watching PPV can be confusing, You hear touchdown Sooners and 30 seconds later you see it on TV.

bluedogok
10/2/2011, 08:29 PM
DVR...I sync the TV with the Sirius radio broadcast. I have to do that for every game though no matter what it is on.

SoonerKnight
10/2/2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks to the John Blake era it had become "Touchdown, Oklahoma... No Flags!!"

He said that for awhile in the Stoops era!!! finally it wore off but that is funny!!