PDA

View Full Version : AP Poll (The one that means nothing)

hotshot13422
10/2/2011, 11:49 AM
AP Poll:
1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Wisconsin
5. Boise State
6. Oklahoma State
7. Stanford
8. Clemson
9. Oregon
10. Arkansas
11. Texas
12. Michigan
13. Ga Tech
14. Nebraska
15. Auburn
16. West Virginia
17. Florida
18. South Carolina
19. Illinois
20. Kansas State
21. Virginia Tech
22. Arizona State
23. Florida State
24. Texas A&M
25. Baylor

Yes, Auburn is 15

Boomer.....
10/2/2011, 12:05 PM
Figures.

Iam4OUru
10/2/2011, 12:05 PM
1. LSU
2. Bammer
3. OU

Not really a shock.

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 12:11 PM
The AP might as well be a straw poll or beauty contest--that's really all it is worth now.

Given who all three of us have played up to this point, I agree more with the writers than the coaches( yes i know you're shocked to hear me say that...lol), but it doesn't matter, most of that debate will be settled on Nov. 5. Needless to say, I think there's pretty much consensus on what three teams belong in the top 3, the order of which is really the only debatable point at this time.

It will all eventually be settled on the field.

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:16 PM
I'm okay with it (even more so since it doesn't factor into the BCS). I think we're somewhere in the top 3 right now, and it's anyone's guess who's really #1....well, at least for right now.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 12:17 PM
The AP might as well be a straw poll or beauty contest--that's really all it is worth now.

Given who all three of us have played up to this point, I agree more with the writers than the coaches( yes i know you're shocked to hear me say that...lol), but it doesn't matter, most of that debate will be settled on Nov. 5. Needless to say, I think there's pretty much consensus on what three teams belong in the top 3, the order of which is really the only debatable point at this time.

It will all eventually be settled on the field.

Let me just put it this way. You are correct in that the AP is just a beauty contest.

OU would beat the ever living **** out of LSU in Baton Rouge this year. Alabama would be a tougher task for OU.

That, said, you homer side is showing up and it is really getting pathetic.

ATX Sooner
10/2/2011, 12:22 PM
OU would beat the ever living **** out of LSU in Baton Rouge this year.

This is homer and you are just as pathetic.

AlboSooner
10/2/2011, 12:23 PM
I understand the AP poll is not counted in the BCS formula, but there is no program out there that would not hang a championship banner if declared number one by the AP poll at the end of the year. Not quite "it means nothing."

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 12:29 PM
This is homer and you are just as pathetic.

Have you even watched LSU?

Sure on paper, the teams they have played looks good...but Miss. State sucks and they proving it every week. West Virginia would get blasted by FSU (if FSU was healthy). Ball State would beat the living hell out of Northwestern St.

In fact, the only thing they can say they have over OU is that Oregon is probably the better team when it comes to comparing their non conference schedules.

Then lets not forget that currently the Big 12 is ranked a tougher conference by computer rankings.

Then finally, LSU plays an opportunistic defense. They definitely have a top DL, but are very average at best in the secondary and their linebackers.

Any team that plays them, takes care of the ball, they can win. Because teams can move the ball on them, especially through the air.

I may be a homer...but I am not sucked into the thinking that Les Miles actually has the greatest defense or team in Baton Rouge.

Alabama will take care of LSU, and Florida likely will as well.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2011, 12:32 PM
None of the polls have any meaning in the strict sense of the word except the last 2 BCS polls*. But the AP poll does have influence as there is a feedback loop into the coaches poll. Likewise, there will be a feedback loop from the computer rankings once the BCS poll comes out. So many coaches admit they put little thought into their ballot until the final 2, that they often lag what the writers say. They generally keep the same relative order of teams that keep winning and drop out the losing team. The AP guys actually put some thought into it since it is their job; doesn't mean they have it right, but I find it more interesting.

*the next to last BCS poll has meaning for CCG tie breakers, as we well know ;)

AlboSooner
10/2/2011, 12:32 PM
Both LSU and Bama have nasty nasty defenses. Half of LSU's defense will play in the NFL. Bama will beat them because of their O-line, and because Saban > Miles. OU has not faced a D like those two have.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 12:37 PM
Both LSU and Bama have nasty nasty defenses. Half of LSU's defense will play in the NFL. Bama will beat them because of their O-line, and because Saban > Miles. OU has not faced a D like those two have.

I wonder if it has to do with the offenses they have played?

LSU has a dang good DL...but it isnt any better than a healthy DL of FSU. And if it is, it isnt by much.

Bama has the nasty defense. LSU has a weak, very weak Secondary. Anyone can say they will be playing pro, but it doesnt make the team any better right now.

sooneredaco
10/2/2011, 01:16 PM

I wouldn't say that LSU's defense is head and shoulders above Oklahoma's. Frankly I would give OUr a slight edge over Mad Hat Disease's boys. They've given up large chunks of yards in almost every game they've played. With that said, Bammer's defense looks pretty sick. And like has been mentioned their running game is as solid as it gets. I'd like to see OUr d-line take on that task. This line has to be one of the best in the Stoops era. So at the end of the day, it's a toss up in my mind with the top 3.

BTW Albq, just roasted 20 lbs of New Mexico green chiles. They are incred

LiveLaughLove
10/2/2011, 01:23 PM
I'd rank them, 1. Alabama 2. LSU 3. Us so I don't have a problem with it either.

Oh, we liked the AP poll the week we went over 100 weeks at #1, so let's be consistant. I wish we were #1, but I think it's not deserved right now over those two teams.

I think the AP is closer to accurate then the Coaches Poll. Stanford should be where Boise is and OSU is too low too.