20. Michigan State
21. Kansas State
22. Florida State
23. Auburn
24. Arizona State
25. Texas A&M

Iam4OUru
10/2/2011, 11:47 AM
I would have bet $$$ that Bammer would have jumped LSU. Oh well...shows what I know.

hotshot13422
10/2/2011, 11:47 AM
Alabama was actually #2 in the last one. I have no clue how they got jumped this week

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/2/2011, 11:52 AM
boom goes the dynamite

SoonerofAlabama
10/2/2011, 11:58 AM
Horn love is strong.

JLEW1818
10/2/2011, 12:00 PM
horns have looked good so far. so far.

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 12:03 PM
Wisconsin jumped Boise--yayyyyy!!!

OUHOMER
10/2/2011, 12:08 PM
Alabama was actually #2 in the last one. I have no clue how they got jumped this week
They were actually tied last week with LSU, looks like LSU got 1 vote changed this week.

Jacie
10/2/2011, 12:11 PM
Does this make OU/sa*et a big game or it only one if they win?

JLEW1818
10/2/2011, 12:13 PM
Does this make OU/sa*et a big game or it only one if they win?

:D if we win then the horns just sucked anyways.... even if they go 12-1

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:13 PM
horns have looked good so far. so far.

If you mean they've looked good because they're 5-0, then possibly. IF you mean they've looked good, like a good football team, I'll say you might be a little drunk. :) They beat up on Iowa State, but they easily could've lost to a mediocre BYU team. Better than last year for sure, but pretty far away from being back to their level of satisfaction.

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 12:15 PM
Looks like running up 60 pts on a high school from Indiana was good for something after all. Congrats, you guys can have it.:subdued:

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:16 PM
Looks like running up 60 pts on a high school from Indiana was good for something after all. Congrats, you guys can have it.:subdued:

We never lost it.

JLEW1818
10/2/2011, 12:19 PM
If you mean they've looked good because they're 5-0, then possibly. IF you mean they've looked good, like a good football team, I'll say you might be a little drunk. :) They beat up on Iowa State, but they easily could've lost to a mediocre BYU team. Better than last year for sure, but pretty far away from being back to their level of satisfaction.

they have looked good since McCoy took over. There is no denying that.

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:24 PM
they have looked good since McCoy took over. There is no denying that.

They have looked better, no doubt. But, I think even a whorn fan would tell you they are not confident in what they have yet. McCoy and Ash passed for about the same amount of yardage last night...so that tells me that Mack is still out to lunch...what's the saying, "When you have two quarterbacks, you have none"?

Like I told my kid today, when we play texas, throw the records and rankings out the window.

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 12:26 PM
We never lost it.

I didn't say that you did--see the smily face? Dude, I know you're an SEC hater, but lighten up.

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:26 PM
I didn't say that you did.

I know...but it sounded so good, I thought I'd post it :D

AlboSooner
10/2/2011, 12:28 PM
Since the change at QB, which happened during the BYU game, Texas has been much better. Their defense is very good. It will be the second best defense we will see all year in the regular season. Their offensive scheme is balanced and creative and made to use the athletic skills of their best players. It will be a dog-fight like usual, and OU should come up on top due to having a better team.

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:30 PM
Since the change at QB, which happened during the BYU game, Texas has been much better. Their defense is very good. It will be the second best defense we will see all year in the regular season. Their offensive scheme is balances and creative to use the athletic skills of their best players. It will be a dog-fight like usual, and OU should come up on top due to having a better team.

Better than last year for sure. Much better? Not so sure. They've played a horrible UCLA team, and a "they are who we thought they were" Iowa State team. Regardless, you're right, it'll be the usual dog-fight. I'd be worried about texas is they were 0-5 and had a one-legged quarterback.

AlboSooner
10/2/2011, 12:38 PM
Better than last year for sure. Much better? Not so sure. They've played a horrible UCLA team, and a "they are who we thought they were" Iowa State team. Regardless, you're right, it'll be the usual dog-fight. I'd be worried about texas is they were 0-5 and had a one-legged quarterback.

The UCLA, and ISU teams who beat Texas last year were just as terrible as this year. Remember that UCLA went 4-8 last year, while ISU went 5-7. Just by dismantling these two teams on the road, Texas has shown to be MUCH better than last year. They are deserving of their ranking.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 12:41 PM
Since the change at QB, which happened during the BYU game, Texas has been much better. Their defense is very good. It will be the second best defense we will see all year in the regular season. Their offensive scheme is balanced and creative and made to use the athletic skills of their best players. It will be a dog-fight like usual, and OU should come up on top due to having a better team.

:jaded:

How exactly have we known that their offense is better? It looks better with McCoy...but hell, my fat *** could go out there and play better than Gilbert Grape!

Look at the teams that they have played. The best on being Iowa State. And well, Iowa State is Iowa State.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 12:43 PM
The UCLA, and ISU teams who beat Texas last year were just as terrible as this year. Remember that UCLA went 4-8 last year, while ISU went 5-7. Just by dismantling these two teams on the road, Texas has shown to be MUCH better than last year. They are deserving of their ranking.

UCLA is much worse this year than they were last year.
ISU is about the same.

Dismantling these two teams on the road shows absolutely nothing!

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:54 PM
UCLA is much worse this year than they were last year.
ISU is about the same.

Dismantling these two teams on the road shows absolutely nothing!

Agreed! I watched the UCLA/Stanford game last night, and I think UCLA may be one of the worst teams in the FBS (well, apparently better than Oregon State and San Jose). I can't speak to ISU, because I haven't seen them this year (other than last night against the whorns). I'll agree that Texas is improved/improving, but #10 in the country? No way.

fadada1
10/2/2011, 12:56 PM

or all 48 on a that high school team from ohio.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 01:07 PM

Which is like running up 41 points against that High School team in Denton, Texas?

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 01:08 PM
or all 48 on a that high school team from ohio.

Dont forget that other High School from Texas that they played.

Bruiser53
10/2/2011, 01:12 PM
Which is like running up 41 points against that High School team in Denton, Texas?

They still have that junior high team from Georgia on the schedule. Seriously other than LSU this year, SEC non conference scheduling is a joke.

LiveLaughLove
10/2/2011, 01:19 PM
Texas is pretty decent right now and will not be easy. I'd love to pound them in the dirt, but unfortunately, it's probably going to be competitive. Their new OC from Boise is very creative. Their defense is solid.

IF we can get in the heads of those two young QBs then we could route them, but I just don't see a McCoy getting flustered.

We should win. We should win comfortably. But we should have last year also, and it was competitive, so...

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 01:25 PM
The poll posted here is incorrect--it has LSU and Bama backwards. Bama actually moved up to no. 2. Here it is straight from the source--

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/usatpoll/413462/1

soonerhubs
10/2/2011, 01:27 PM

My guess is that the players on Ball State's team have a much higher mental capacity beyond high school. Something tells me I couldn't say the same about your "all-academic" team there in Tuscaloosa. ;)

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 01:37 PM
OMG--soo sensitive.:beguiled: .....Wanna really debate SOS? You don't want to go down that road.:victorious:

Again, Bama at no. 2 in the coach's poll, not no. 3. I've maintained all along that you guys deserve to be at no. 1. I really hope we meet in NO.

ouflak
10/2/2011, 01:43 PM
Baylor fell hard.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/2/2011, 01:52 PM
The whole premise of this thread is incorrect. The USA today coaches poll doesn't mean squat. The coaches and/or the AD staffs don't have time to watch all of these games. Anyone who has spent even a little time watching the big games that the top three have played in could not possibly rank OU #1 right now, if they are doing their best to be objective. OU has more flaws at this point than do either LSU or Bama. All three are very good football teams... but LSU and Bama have simply been more dominant, and even more confident, in what they are doing.

The coaches poll may be a component of the BCS rankings, but it could be argued that it is the most flawed component. I realize the Harris poll is just as political as the USA today coaches. But presumably those voters have a good deal more time to actually take a look at each of these teams.

Anyway, doesn't matter if we aren't undefeated at the end of the regular season. And I've seen nothing to indicate so far that we will be.... shaky kicking, shaky QB play, shaky pass D. Those aren't the trademarks of a championship team.

VA Sooner
10/2/2011, 02:05 PM
Polls are too early to care about... unless you're Boise State. :fat:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/2/2011, 02:23 PM
Looks like running up 60 pts on a high school from Indiana was good for something after all. Congrats, you guys can have it.:subdued:Aren't there some Bammer Boards where you would fit in better?

Lott's Bandana
10/2/2011, 04:18 PM
The whole premise of this thread is incorrect. The USA today coaches poll doesn't mean squat. The coaches and/or the AD staffs don't have time to watch all of these games. Anyone who has spent even a little time watching the big games that the top three have played in could not possibly rank OU #1 right now, if they are doing their best to be objective. OU has more flaws at this point than do either LSU or Bama. All three are very good football teams... but LSU and Bama have simply been more dominant, and even more confident, in what they are doing.

The coaches poll may be a component of the BCS rankings, but it could be argued that it is the most flawed component. I realize the Harris poll is just as political as the USA today coaches. But presumably those voters have a good deal more time to actually take a look at each of these teams.

Anyway, doesn't matter if we aren't undefeated at the end of the regular season. And I've seen nothing to indicate so far that we will be.... shaky kicking, shaky QB play, shaky pass D. Those aren't the trademarks of a championship team.

Brother, every team has flaws. LSU punts. Bama punts. Ball State punts. LSU/Bama/Wis fumble and throw interceptions. Everyone gets penalties.

It is very, very easy to be over-critical of every little thing when your passion is directed towards the success of the subject, in this case, OU Football.

I went through a stage when every false start was the end of the world, every fumble created a seppuku urge...we had no chance against FSU. We won. #7.

After that I realized, even the best teams trip up from time to time, not just mine. We should have beaten LSU, we should have beaten Florida. We didn't, but we could have. And they know it. My flawed team evenly matched against those flawed teams.

We lost two games last year we shouldn't have. We are a better team this year. Linebackers/O-line/Running Game, even the Secondary has improved somewhat. Landry is Landry, Broyles is uncanny, Stills is a real player and Millard opens up the play-action.

We are better, our O-coordinator gets better every game, our Coach is a perfect fit for us.

We win this weekend, and I truly mean just win...IDGAS about style points, then we lock up the rest of the season in dominant fashion. We always finish conference play strong...we will again.

badger
10/2/2011, 04:30 PM
Baylor fell hard.

I just did hangover vPayout a few hours ago to figure out who dropped the most and I think it was between Baylor, A&M and South Florida. Both crashed and burned in the polls :D

cleller
10/2/2011, 04:44 PM
Clemson would obliterate OSU.

oumartin
10/2/2011, 04:53 PM
I am just gonna say it.. Texas is probably the third best team in the country right now.. Possibly second

kevpks
10/2/2011, 05:05 PM
They are deserving of their ranking.

Texas deserves nothing but mockery and enmity.

SoonerKnight
10/2/2011, 05:35 PM
:D if we win then the horns just sucked anyways.... even if they go 12-1

The whorns always suck!! Let's get that out there right now!

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 05:37 PM
Brother, every team has flaws. LSU punts. Bama punts. Ball State punts. LSU/Bama/Wis fumble and throw interceptions. Everyone gets penalties.

It is very, very easy to be over-critical of every little thing when your passion is directed towards the success of the subject, in this case, OU Football.

I went through a stage when every false start was the end of the world, every fumble created a seppuku urge...we had no chance against FSU. We won. #7.

After that I realized, even the best teams trip up from time to time, not just mine. We should have beaten LSU, we should have beaten Florida. We didn't, but we could have. And they know it. My flawed team evenly matched against those flawed teams.

We lost two games last year we shouldn't have. We are a better team this year. Linebackers/O-line/Running Game, even the Secondary has improved somewhat. Landry is Landry, Broyles is uncanny, Stills is a real player and Millard opens up the play-action.

We are better, our O-coordinator gets better every game, our Coach is a perfect fit for us.

We win this weekend, and I truly mean just win...IDGAS about style points, then we lock up the rest of the season in dominant fashion. We always finish conference play strong...we will again.

Great post!

Anyone that has/is/will be too critical this season (or really, any season with 10+ wins) needs to read this. No team is perfect, hell even in the NFL, where they are paid to do nothing but practice and play. I like our chances against anybody in the country, but in the end, I have no say in any of it...so, I just try to enjoy each victory as they come.

SoonerKnight
10/2/2011, 05:39 PM
I didn't say that you did--see the smily face? Dude, I know you're an SEC hater, but lighten up.

That wasn't a smiley face emtioncon it was a subdued emtioncon and it looked more like you were constipated trying to get it out then a smiley anyway! :smug:

:subdued:

Iam4OUru
10/2/2011, 05:47 PM
When you look at the resume' of the top 3 teams, none are very impressive as far as opponents and their wins. Bammer is the only one that has beaten a team that has beaten a currently "ranked" team (Ar-Kansas beat aTm). Neither LSU nor OU has done that. BIG DEAL! This just proves that these polls mean absolutely nothing.

SoonerKnight
10/2/2011, 05:55 PM
I am just gonna say it.. Texas is probably the third best team in the country right now.. Possibly second

Watch your mouth!! :mad:

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2011, 05:59 PM

Shouldn't talk like that as it might jinx the horns. Oh, wait...

85sooners
10/2/2011, 06:00 PM
:beguiled:

oumartin
10/2/2011, 06:41 PM
I am saying that so when OU smashes em it will feel good to brag a bit. :)

soonerboy_odanorth
10/3/2011, 10:09 AM

I just bought a ticket to get aboard your train of thought. Hope when I play the part of the Missouri Mule* this weekend, they "show me."

*Yes, I freely admit I am a Sooner football-lovin' jackass. :D

Lott's Bandana
10/3/2011, 10:27 AM
I just bought a ticket to get aboard your train of thought. Hope when I play the part of the Missouri Mule* this weekend, they "show me."

*Yes, I freely admit I am a Sooner football-lovin' jackass. :D

I don't have a "boy crush" but you are one of my favorite posters and I was troubled to see all the grumpiness.

It is your right to be grumpy, but I had to point out how my life is so much dayum better since I stopped flipping off the referees every time they blow a call, or yelling FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH each time Loadholt hiccup'd, right in front of some 8 year-old little girl at her first OU game.

SoonerAtKU
10/3/2011, 10:40 AM
When you look at the resume' of the top 3 teams, none are very impressive as far as opponents and their wins. Bammer is the only one that has beaten a team that has beaten a currently "ranked" team (Ar-Kansas beat aTm). Neither LSU nor OU has done that. BIG DEAL! This just proves that these polls mean absolutely nothing.

And then, if we go another level deeper, TAMU hasn't beaten a ranked team either, so what does THAT mean?

Inception.

toast
10/3/2011, 11:11 AM

nice post!

marfacowboy
10/3/2011, 12:21 PM

I don't know if they're that good, especially with those young QB's. They've not really been knocked in the mouth yet. But I'd say they're probably top ten. They have top ten talent, at least.
Thing is, Alabama is light years ahead of everyone else defensively. They'd destroy Texas right now. Texas is still too small. I think OU is in that category offensively, but our defense concerns me. Our best guy is listed at 227 (Lewis). Their LB's and Upshaw (who plays hybrid or "jack") are all over 250 and fast if not faster. They're monsters.