PDA

View Full Version : Bama/LSU

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 11:20 AM
I've seen them both play, with Alabama being the most recent (watched some of last night's game).

I've not been overly impressed with LSU's highly touted defense. They are littered with NFL talent (especially in the secondary), yet they have given up chunks of yardage. Beating Kentucky was expected, and not really a testament as to how good LSU is. I would submit that Tulsa could beat Kentucky, but I digress. LSU is a very good team, no doubt, and regardless of what some say, with Jordan back, they're even better....but, I don't see them winning the SEC.

Alabama is also very good, and has a legitimate argument that they should be number 1 in the polls. Florida was a good victory, on the road, hostile environment, etc., etc. However, the score is misleading. After Brantley went out with the knee injury, Florida's offense looked completely ineffective (and even that's an understatement). Some of that credit goes to the Bama defense and their smothering play, and some goes to the Florida offense that appeared completely disinterested with the freshman in the game.

At this point, these are the only two teams in the SEC that appear to be in the title hunt. And, based only on what I've seen, I'd give Bama the edge over LSU. Both of which would be a tough challenge for our boys.

Zin
10/2/2011, 11:25 AM
I like Bama in that matchup.

We are just going to have to put up with all of the SEC fanbois saying that is the national championship game.

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 11:44 AM
We will see on Nov. 5. I have nothing but respect for LSU and happen to think that Les Miles is the most underappreciated coach in America. They are loaded with talent. However, we are 22-1 at home since the beginning of the 2008 season, so I'm sure we'll be a slight favorite against the tigers. The winner of that game will still have to win the SECCG but considering how weak the East is this year, that should not be a huge obstacle for either Bama or LSU.

I'm hoping for an OU/Bama BCS CG, and right now I'd say we're still on track for that to happen.

Okie35
10/2/2011, 11:48 AM
Stop either of the teams run game and your chances of winning are favorable, but that's a very tough task.

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 11:51 AM
Stop either of the teams run game and your chances of winning are favorable, but that's a very tough task.

True. UF kept 7-8 people in the box all night last night and we ran over them at will. We're pretty dang good at it, just like you guys are with the pass. Like one sports writer said last night, Bama is the only team in major college football that runs up the score by running up the middle..lol. He's more right than he knows--so far the closest someone has finished with us was Penn State by 16 points--we won that one 27-11.

rock on sooner
10/2/2011, 12:04 PM
Richardson is the "real deal"...can't remember his backup's name but he looks pretty darn good, too. Bama's QB "grows up" and
they'll likely be the "beast" of college FB. Will be terrific to meet Bama in Nawlins!

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:18 PM
True. UF kept 7-8 people in the box all night last night and we ran over them at will. We're pretty dang good at it, just like you guys are with the pass. Like one sports writer said last night, Bama is the only team in major college football that runs up the score by running up the middle..lol. He's more right than he knows--so far the closest someone has finished with us was Penn State by 16 points--we won that one 27-11.

I have to say, I was impressed with the Bama running game as a whole. It doesn't hurt that you have some kind of machine running the ball :D

pphilfran
10/2/2011, 12:20 PM
LSU wins with defense and points off of turnovers...if Florida holds onto the ball they might give em a run for their money this week...

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 12:21 PM
The SEC is the best conference stupidity (prop 48) and money can buy!

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:28 PM
LSU wins with defense and points off of turnovers...if Florida holds onto the ball they might give em a run for their money this week...

If Brantley plays (and I haven't heard anything since last night, but it didn't look good) they have a shot, If not, then Florida is going to have to figure out a way to move the ball better.

Florida's defense looked really good at times, but I think they just got worn down.

pphilfran
10/2/2011, 12:37 PM
If Brantley plays (and I haven't heard anything since last night, but it didn't look good) they have a shot, If not, then Florida is going to have to figure out a way to move the ball better.

Florida's defense looked really good at times, but I think they just got worn down.

Brantley is a must have...

soonerhubs
10/2/2011, 01:18 PM
The SEC is the best conference stupidity (prop 48) and money can buy! You forgot to mention the blatant over signing.

Sabanball has respect for Les, because he knows his boy Nicky is just as guilty of screwing with kids by promising them , and then lying, greyshirting, and reneging on promises down the road.

Alabama's Head Coach Nick Saban summed up his position when asked about the ethics of over-signing: "It's none of your business. Alright? And don't give me this stuff about, ‘The fans need to know,' because they don't need to know." Yes Nick, we would like transparency because you're the coach at a public institution funded by the fans' tax dollars. Read more here: http://www.thehoya.com/abuse-of-oversigning-loophole-hurting-scholarship-players-1.2622745

Folks really like to sweep these things under the rug, but a large reason why the SEC dominates in athletics is because they screw with these players' academic fundings.

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 05:46 PM
You forgot to mention the blatant over signing.

Sabanball has respect for Les, because he knows his boy Nicky is just as guilty of screwing with kids by promising them , and then lying, greyshirting, and reneging on promises down the road.

Read more here: http://www.thehoya.com/abuse-of-oversigning-loophole-hurting-scholarship-players-1.2622745

Folks really like to sweep these things under the rug, but a large reason why the SEC dominates in athletics is because they screw with these players' academic fundings.

Not defending the practice (because it seems that most other schools can recruit without mass oversigning), but I'd think it would be hard not to over-sign. Given that a coaching staff has X number of slots to fill, and that recruiting these days seems to be strung out until the last possible minute. I'm kinda surprised that it doesn't happen more.

Sooner1972
10/2/2011, 06:28 PM
From what I've seen thus far, Alabama is a notch superior. They would have my #1 vote tbh. I just think they're better coached overall, with a defense that has no less than four first round picks. Throw in Richardson (who I think is better than Ingram), and they are really, really good.

Sooner1972
10/2/2011, 06:29 PM
Pretty much everyone outside of Oklahoma seems to think that Bama/LSU is the "real" national championship, so I guess we'll find out soon enough whenever the two are slated to meet.

Iam4OUru
10/2/2011, 08:02 PM
Dennis Dodd is an idiot. Of all people, he should know that stranger things have happened.

"Can we just fast forward to Nov. 5? That's when LSU travels to Alabama to decide one half of the national championship game."

SoonerKnight
10/2/2011, 08:30 PM
Kinda dirty! but it is the SEC.....SEC....S.....EEEE.....CCCCCC!!! LOL!

MR2-Sooner86
10/2/2011, 08:34 PM
So November 5th is for one half of the national championship game and this Saturday is for the other half? Sounds good to me.

Iam4OUru
10/2/2011, 08:34 PM
Kinda dirty! but it is the SEC.....SEC....S.....EEEE.....CCCCCC!!! LOL!

It would be a shame if one were to lose prior to that national title game in November. :smug: That's all it would take...one loss.

Iam4OUru
10/2/2011, 08:36 PM
So November 5th is for one half of the national championship game and this Saturday is for the other half? Sounds good to me.

If only I were 10% as sure that OU will be playing down here on Jan. 9th.

OULenexaman
10/3/2011, 10:41 AM
From what I've seen thus far, Alabama is a notch superior. They would have my #1 vote tbh. I just think they're better coached overall, with a defense that has no less than four first round picks. Throw in Richardson (who I think is better than Ingram), and they are really, really good. agree 100%....you can't run the ball on bama at all and the young secondary gets better every week.