PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hayes already calling for LSU/Alabama rematch in BCS Title game

Lott's Bandana
10/2/2011, 10:31 AM
He even uses the words, "proof" and "truth" to support his assertions.

There’s no shame in everyone else playing for third. And by third I mean the winner of the LSU-Alabama game simply gets a tougher road to the BCS National Championship Game.

The winner takes the SEC West Division and must win the SEC Championship Game (a foregone conclusion). The loser has to finish out the season without a loss (a foregone conclusion) and hope the human polls embrace reality instead of potentially unbeaten teams in the Big Ten/ACC/Big 12/Pac-12.

And then, Pat Forde fellating the SEC West.

Oklahoma and Wisconsin have done nothing wrong this season, but neither have they done as much right as the studs of the SEC.

I'm at the point now where I cannot find objective journalism about a subjective system, not on TV, not in print, nowhere.
There simply is no reason for the rest of the country to participate in competitive football any longer.

I love the message board, but I don't want it in my "real" journalism. Sadly, that's what it has become.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-10-01/alabama-crimson-tide-florida-gators-game-john-brantley-courtney-upshaw
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7049607/sec-west-pounding-all-competition-again-season

IronHorseSooner
10/2/2011, 10:35 AM
Remember, Forde is a Mizzou troll. As my KU friend says: "Mizzou has an overinflated view of themselves, and they wish that they were in the SEC."

oumartin
10/2/2011, 10:35 AM
that wouldn't be fair to Wisconsin! :)

Also, if they feel this way maybe LSU or Bama should join the big 12.. That way their chances might improve..

IronHorseSooner
10/2/2011, 10:45 AM
Were just going to have to beat them in NO this year to out an end to this. I respect 'Bama, and this is not their fault, but this is getting trite and ridiculous. I KNEW this would happen after the 'Bama/FLA game, and dang it if I wasn't right!

Wishboned
10/2/2011, 10:58 AM
All these "foregone conclusions". How many foregone conclusions go by the wayside every season?

soonerhubs
10/2/2011, 11:00 AM
Forde is nothing more than a hyperbole and drama factory that drums up ratings and money for the powers that be.

As for this hype for the "all powerful" SEC (Slogan: Oversigning, promising, and reneging scholarships in 12 universities since 1991!), how about we wait until at least the majority of the season is played before we start counting our chickens.

Students'
Educations
Come
last

dennis580
10/2/2011, 11:07 AM
I think LSU is a overrated. I think they have 2 losses this season. Alabama is the real deal, and that is who I expect OU will play in the NC game.

cccasooner2
10/2/2011, 11:10 AM
All these "foregone conclusions". How many foregone conclusions go by the wayside every season?

True that. I wonder if he would still call for an LSU-Alabama rematch if say Alabama and Florida meet in the SEC championship game and Florida wins.

dennis580
10/2/2011, 11:12 AM
"Just when we thought the SEC couldn’t possibly have college football in a tighter vise lock with five straight national championships, we give you the path to No.6: two teams from the SEC playing for it all."

This is one of the major problems right here. We need to snap the SEC's streak of 5 straight championships or this kinda of crap is going to keep getting worse. it will go a long way for perception if OU defeats a SEC team in the NC game this year.

Okie35
10/2/2011, 11:29 AM
Haha I laugh at things like this. I hope this guy is mad when it doesn't happen, EVER!

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 11:30 AM
Were just going to have to beat them in NO this year to out an end to this. I respect 'Bama, and this is not their fault, but this is getting trite and ridiculous. I KNEW this would happen after the 'Bama/FLA game, and dang it if I wasn't right!

Ding ding ding....we have a winner. The NC once again will run through the SEC this year and in an SEC venue, where LSU and Bama know how to get the tickets. As long as you guys keep winning then your team will get that opportunity. It should be a great game.

LSU and Bama will both NOT be going to the BCS title game. We all know that. I realize it is mathematically within the realm of possibility, but so is the chance of an asteroid hitting earth tomorrow. It is NOT going to happen.

Okie35
10/2/2011, 11:34 AM
Ding ding ding....we have a winner. The NC once again will run through the SEC this year and in an SEC venue, where LSU and Bama know how to get the tickets. As long as you guys keep winning then you will get that opportunity.

The thing is even if we did win I doubt it would change that much.

soonerhubs
10/2/2011, 11:35 AM
Ding ding ding....we have a winner. The NC once again will run through the SEC this year and in an SEC venue, where LSU and Bama know how to get the tickets.

Do you think Chris Garrett or Elliot Porter will be there? SEC! SEC! SEC! (http://www.thehoya.com/abuse-of-oversigning-loophole-hurting-scholarship-players-1.2622745)

A bunch of lemmings. You'd think the SEC was supposed to be a conference of educational institutions, no?

Okie35
10/2/2011, 11:37 AM
I think LSU is a overrated. I think they have 2 losses this season. Alabama is the real deal, and that is who I expect OU will play in the NC game.

Their offense is their weak point, even without Brantley I think LSU will struggle with Florida. Actually, their next 4 games (Florida, @ Tenn., Auburn, @ Bama) are tough. I expect at least 1 loss, maybe 2. I'd like to see LSU win a turnover free game or win a game when a team stops their run game.

IronHorseSooner
10/2/2011, 11:41 AM
Their offense is their weak point, even without Brantley I think LSU will struggle with Florida. Actually, their next 4 games (Florida, @ Tenn., Auburn, @ Bama) are tough. I expect at least 1 loss, maybe 2. I'd like to see LSU win a turnover free game or win a game when a team stops their run game.

I second this!

JudInKC
10/2/2011, 11:56 AM
If we had beaten either LSU or Florida for the NCs in 2003 and 2008, we would be getting more respect right now than what we are getting.

Oh well...all we need to do is keep winning our games, which is not going to be easy. Texas, KSU, OSU and aTm all will be closer than I imagined 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Okie35
10/2/2011, 11:59 AM
If we had beaten either LSU or Florida for the NCs in 2003 and 2008, we would be getting more respect right now than what we are getting.

Oh well...all we need to do is keep winning our games, which is not going to be easy. Texas, KSU, OSU and aTm all will be closer than I imagined 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Its not like we were pushovers though even w/ the losses. The venues were a bitch though and heavily favored the other teams.

JudInKC
10/2/2011, 12:03 PM
Its not like we were pushovers though even w/ the losses.

I agree. We weren't pushovers and played both tough in what amounts to 2 road games. The problem is, we were favored in both and had an offense that was putting up video game type stats and in both our offense struggled to move the ball.

Not to mention the pasting we took to USC which amounts to 3 straight NC game losses.

AlboSooner
10/2/2011, 12:43 PM
OU v Bama for the NC would be awesome.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 12:48 PM
I want to see a National Championship game played in Oklahoma. We always have to travel to the opponents home field for a national championship!

Florida State in Miami
LSU in Nawlins
Florida in Miami

The only one not in their home state was USC in miami.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2011, 12:50 PM
LSU and Bama will both NOT be going to the BCS title game. We all know that. I realize it is mathematically within the realm of possibility, but so is the chance of an asteroid hitting earth tomorrow. It is NOT going to happen.

Truth. It's not going to happen and it shouldn't happen even if Bama/LSU are clearly the 2 best teams. You get one shot in football; this isn't a best of 7 sport. And re-matches generally suck.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/2/2011, 01:20 PM
I agree. We weren't pushovers and played both tough in what amounts to 2 road games. The problem is, we were favored in both and had an offense that was putting up video game type stats and in both our offense struggled to move the ball.

Not to mention the pasting we took to USC which amounts to 3 straight NC game losses.

Jason White having a broken hand on his throwing arm had everything to do with the LSU game. Reverse roles where Matt Mauck has the broken hand on his throwing arm and Jason White is healthy and well, it goes the other way.

Oklahoma not having it's best 1000 yard rusher in Demarco Murray and it's best linebacker and most important defender in Ryan Reynolds against Florida was a major hit as well. Swap roles where Demarco Murray and Ryan Reynolds plays and Brandon Spikes and Percy Harvin don't play and well, it goes the other way.

Injuries suck. Football isn't a game of inches, it's a game of injuries. The healthiest team wins in an NC game.

soonercastor
10/2/2011, 01:41 PM
The ONLY and ONLY way this is even mentioned about is if Bama wins a VERY CLOSE one at home against LSU and both finish undefeated. But that's just that it will be talked about and nothing else. A one-loss BCS conference championship would get in before a potential rematch of a season game.

badger
10/2/2011, 02:00 PM
I don't see another big boy conference's undefeated champion getting left out so that the SEC can hog the big game. Undefeated Wisconsin, undefeated Clemson, undefeated Stanford, undefeated OU, we'd ALL top a 1-loss SEC team or there's BCS shenanigans at play that the other conferences WOULD NOT stand for... and we all know how dead the BCS would be if the conferences all ganged up and formed a playoff, which is what would happen if the BCS made the championship SEC vs SEC.

Lott's Bandana
10/2/2011, 02:06 PM
I just don't like the fact that there no longer is an objective outlet for real analysis, just crap that is simply a message board poster that gets paid to post.

The Sporting News
CBS
ESPN

They all say the same thing. No objectivity or independence any longer.

soonerhubs
10/2/2011, 02:13 PM
I just don't like the fact that there no longer is an objective outlet for real analysis, just crap that is simply a message board poster that gets paid to post.

The Sporting News
CBS
ESPN

They all say the same thing. No objectivity or independence any longer.

Perhaps there never was objectivity. I'm just sayin... :)

soonerboy_odanorth
10/2/2011, 02:17 PM

You should have known it by the end of the Missouri game. We have a QB with a confidence problem, no reliable kicker, and a pass defense that is marginal, at best. This has as much to do with how uninspiring OU has been, as it does with how dominant LSU and Bama have been.

OUNASH
10/2/2011, 02:19 PM
One way to shut up all the media outlets is to go beat the SEC power in a National Championship game. I think we might just get that chance if we satyed focused. I dont think LSU is any better than we are after watching them play a bad Kentucky team yesterday. Bama might have the edge due to their defense.
There is still alot of football to be played before the media starts pimping an all SEC Natl Champ game.

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 03:02 PM

"Football is a hard sport. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Sabanball
10/2/2011, 03:06 PM
One way to shut up all the media outlets is to go beat the SEC power in a National Championship game. I think we might just get that chance if we satyed focused. I dont think LSU is any better than we are after watching them play a bad Kentucky team yesterday. Bama might have the edge due to their defense.
There is still alot of football to be played before the media starts pimping an all SEC Natl Champ game.

I am Sabanball and I approve of this message.:fat:

Iam4OUru
10/2/2011, 03:09 PM
The thing is even if we did win I doubt it would change that much.

It will then go to "5 of the past 6".

BlownGP
10/2/2011, 03:26 PM

What’s funny is my bama friend thinks LSU and BAMA should place in the NC game even if one of them has 1 loss..

Really???? Well ****, lets just make it so no other conference can make it to the NC game. Only SEC teams.. Then we can end all this crap.. hahahahaah

marfacowboy
10/2/2011, 03:33 PM
I guess we should just fold up the tent, fellas. The season is over after LSU and Bama play, at least according to this ****** bag.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/3/2011, 09:21 AM
It must have been Jarret Lee's 8 for 21 passing performance against Kentucky that convinced him of that.

CBUS_SOONER
10/3/2011, 09:40 AM
RIGHT NOW, We could beat LSU... However, I think Bama would handle us rather easily. imho

badger
10/3/2011, 10:41 AM
We need to win another title immediately for one reason: Bammer now has the lead on us in recognized national championships with 8 (according to that $5 program I bought at the game Saturday, heh). We of course have 7.

It is fun being first. :D

NYC Poke
10/3/2011, 11:32 AM
Media Criticized for Biased Hometown Sports Reporting (http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/media-criticized-for-biased-hometown-sports-report,962/)

(it's The Onion and sfw)

I agree that the espn stuff is pretty annoying. Out of control, even.

oudavid1
10/3/2011, 11:39 AM
Well it was a good season everyone. Is it off-season yet?

perculator
10/3/2011, 11:52 AM
I agree. We weren't pushovers and played tough in what amounts to 2 road games. The problem is, we were favored in both and had an offense that was putting up video game type stats and in both our offense struggled to move the ball.

auburn wasn't good defensively last year.......but given a month off they shut down oregon's offense. the one month off gives defenses a huge advantage. put us in the sec where they only have a week and it'd be a lot different story.
that said, we make it there against bama and we better change stuff up and RUN THE BALL!!

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2011, 12:39 PM
auburn wasn't good defensively last year.......but given a month off they shut down oregon's offense. the one month off gives defenses a huge advantage. put us in the sec where they only have a week and it'd be a lot different story.
that said, we make it there against bama and we better change stuff up and RUN THE BALL!!

Last I checked, we are running pretty well this season.

SoonerNomad
10/3/2011, 12:43 PM
I am one of those very impressed with the early success and achievements of the two SEC powers. LSU, by beating Oregon by slowing them down and then going into West Virginia and making them look pedestrian, possesses two great wins and a defense that looks like it can play with anyone. Alabama's defense has been ridiculous. Florida ran for only 15 yards the other night and the game was over when Upshaw intercepted that pass and made it 17-10.

I believe and always believe the "hype" that you all complain about from the networks is generated by the play on the field and not some secret (or perhaps not so secret) objective to publicize certain conferences or teams. OU has been on the recipient side of that hype on a number of occasions over the last decade and probably would be if they had not started slow against Missouri.

Its all about play on the field and if you watched Alabama on Saturday night they looked pretty damn good.

The one thing that does jump out at me. If in fact the SEC is the so good top to bottom, why the hell is everyone so certain that neither of these teams will be beaten in conference play except by each other? How does Auburn get through unscathed in that conference. Why was it Florida and Alabama undefeated to Atlanta in '09. If the conference is as balanced as everyone thinks it should be more difficult to get through undefeated than it appears to have been the last four years.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/3/2011, 12:43 PM
Kevin Wilson is no longer around to let Oklahoma's play-calling and run game be read like a book in a bowl game.

Mississippi Sooner
10/3/2011, 12:45 PM
I would like to mention that, regardless of this particular issue, Matt Hayes is a third rate journalist at best, and The Sporting News is a shell of what it was even five years ago. Even Tom Dienhart had sense enough to jump ship and head over to Rivals. It's sad, considering it was one of the original national sports publications and The Baseball Bible, but TSN's sellout was made complete when they jumped into bed with AOL.

soonertravis
10/3/2011, 04:32 PM
My problem with the SEC talk is that the league is rather mediocre below Alabama and LSU. Arkansas is probably three with South Carolina and Florida next. All three of those teams have holes. Arkansas just beat our number three in a tight game on a neutral field. Otherwise our league has faired very well in non-conference play.

For us OU and OSU are both top 5-10 teams, Texas and A&M will battle for 3 and 4, most likely. K-State is tougher. Baylor is decent. Iowa St. and Mizzou are no pushovers. That is 8 deep in our league this year. Tech and Kansas appear to be at the bottom.

Their bottom of Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Miss St. are not good. Tennessee isn't much better. Georgia is not that good. I think that our top 8 could compete with or beat most of their bottom 6. Not sure where Tech falls in there this year.

That conference lives on the reputation of 5 national titles. We need to end that string.

soonertravis
10/3/2011, 04:36 PM
I am one of those very impressed with the early success and achievements of the two SEC powers. LSU, by beating Oregon by slowing them down and then going into West Virginia and making them look pedestrian, possesses two great wins and a defense that looks like it can play with anyone. Alabama's defense has been ridiculous. Florida ran for only 15 yards the other night and the game was over when Upshaw intercepted that pass and made it 17-10.

I believe and always believe the "hype" that you all complain about from the networks is generated by the play on the field and not some secret (or perhaps not so secret) objective to publicize certain conferences or teams. OU has been on the recipient side of that hype on a number of occasions over the last decade and probably would be if they had not started slow against Missouri.

Its all about play on the field and if you watched Alabama on Saturday night they looked pretty damn good.

The one thing that does jump out at me. If in fact the SEC is the so good top to bottom, why the hell is everyone so certain that neither of these teams will be beaten in conference play except by each other? How does Auburn get through unscathed in that conference. Why was it Florida and Alabama undefeated to Atlanta in '09. If the conference is as balanced as everyone thinks it should be more difficult to get through undefeated than it appears to have been the last four years.

Your last point is my pont to some degree. The argument that there is depth is built on the fact they have done well in BCS games, but is not indicative of the true depth of each team each season. The difference is that the conference has more teams that on a given year can win it all or are a national power. It doesn't mean that each year they are great. Think of Tennessee and Georgia. Where would they end up in the Big 12? Bottom tier in my mind, but because you conjure up history when you say those school's names people give them a boost. Georgia or Kansas St.? I know who I would pick this year.

soonertravis
10/3/2011, 04:43 PM
You should have known it by the end of the Missouri game. We have a QB with a confidence problem, no reliable kicker, and a pass defense that is marginal, at best. This has as much to do with how uninspiring OU has been, as it does with how dominant LSU and Bama have been.

How quickly people forget the dominant defense that played in Tallahassee. We can play with and beat both Alabama and LSU. Teams that give us fits are spread teams. Bama and LSU will not do that. We won't score at will on them, but we can beat them.

GDC
10/3/2011, 08:42 PM

They have been in a national championship game with two losses before. Or was it three?