PDA

View Full Version : Sad to lose Tyler Caldwell

SanJoaquinSooner
10/2/2011, 10:16 AM
But I'm happy for his dreams of becoming an Olympian ...

Tyler Caldwell will train with U.S. wrestling team
1 Comment
BY JOANNA CHADWICK
The Wichita Eagle
BY JOANNA CHADWICK
The past few months have been about change for Tyler Caldwell, a Goddard graduate.

In March, the Oklahoma sophomore was the 165-pound runnerup at the NCAA wrestling championships, losing to Nebraska senior Jordan Burroughs, a two-time national champion.

In May, Caldwell, a two-time All-American, chose to transfer to Nebraska after a coaching change at Oklahoma.

And last week at the U.S. World Team Trials in Oklahoma City, Caldwell finished in the top eight at 163 pounds. Because of that finish, he will train with the U.S. Olympic team and receive a college redshirt year.

"I'll get to train with Jordan all year while he's getting ready for the Olympics, and I'll compete overseas," Caldwell said."... I'll get to wrestle world-class guys, and I hope to have it pay off."

Caldwell lost to Burroughs three times last season, although Caldwell nearly beat him in the Big 12 finals two weeks before the NCAA finals.

The two have forged a friendship and will live together for the next year.

On May 12, Burroughs (@alliseeisgold) sent a Twitter message regarding Caldwell's transfer —"Welcoming Tyler Caldwell to the Huskers ... A future 2x national champ!"

Caldwell will head to Nebraska for his junior season in the fall of 2012. But the idea of competing in the Olympics is what Caldwell, a four-time state champion at Goddard, is focused on now.

Wrestling in the Olympics "is my ultimate goal," he said.

"It wasn't my plan, but then I went to the trials to get experience, and I did well, so I get to go with the team."

Caldwell is unsure of his exact schedule, but in July he will be in Colorado Springs for the world team camp at the U.S. Olympic Training Center. After the camp, the team will go to Cuba for a tournament.

Currently he's earning money by working at wrestling camps. He was at a camp in Chanute earlier in the week and will do other camps in Kansas, Missouri, Washington and California.

While his travel and training will be paid for while with the Olympic team, he must pay for rent and other living expenses to maintain his amateurism.

"You have to sacrifice," Caldwell said. "I'll be busy, but it will be fun."

SanJoaquinSooner
10/2/2011, 04:51 PM
I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - as the old saying goes.