PDA

View Full Version : Hunnicut,B.Williams look like the real deal...

Soonerus
10/1/2011, 11:32 PM
Good news for the Sooners......

Boomer.....
10/1/2011, 11:35 PM
I've been impressed with Hunnicutt but was surprised he was still second string this week. Maybe they will open up the job after this week.

hotshot13422
10/1/2011, 11:37 PM
Williams is probably our best RB on this team

Boomer.....
10/1/2011, 11:42 PM

At this point, not so much.

101sooner
10/1/2011, 11:44 PM

What does Whaley have to do?

hawaii 5-0
10/1/2011, 11:48 PM
I thought Williams played offensive tackle.

5-0

Soonerus
10/1/2011, 11:48 PM
Whaley and Williams are best...

SoonerKnight
10/1/2011, 11:54 PM
What does Whaley have to do?

It's a stigma! People don't see 5 stars or blue chip next to a person's name and they assume the guy who has it is better! Wiliams played for the first time tonight after we had a huge lead! He played against a really bad school! Whaley has heart and determination! He has what this team had in 2000! That team was considered the underdogs and not good enough because these players were not highly recruited and did not have blue chip or 5 stars. What they had was a hunger and dertimination that they were going to succeed! Whaley has that and is my favorite sooner right now! He has worked hard in school and on the field! He is truly ready for life! We forget how hard it is for young kids to do what he has done!

Look how many 5 star players come in and they can not even pass the most basic classes to keep their eligibillity. They don't care they have everything handed to them and do not need to work as hard. Not saying Williams is like that but what Whaley has done is great and inspirring. I am rooting for him to get so national awards and a GD Scholly!!

thatmediadude
10/1/2011, 11:55 PM
As I sat there watching the game in the 3rd, it looked like B.Williams just glided when he took off with the ball. There was no hitch movements, or any hesitations. He just took what he was given, and looked like he was on ice skates (in a good way). Fun to watch. I can see him being a feature back in 2 years. He and Whaley are definitely most impressive. Both fall forward. Don't second guess. They just GO! Love it. LET'S GO GET TEXAS!

SoonerKnight
10/1/2011, 11:55 PM
Whaley and Williams are best...

Exactly. Williams showed he could play but he has not truly been tested. I think those two would be a hell of a combo!!

hotshot13422
10/1/2011, 11:56 PM
No doubt that you keep starting Whaley, he's been our best RB this year. Just don't be surprised if Williams is our best RB by the end of the year

SoonerKnight
10/1/2011, 11:57 PM
No doubt that you keep starting Whaley, he's been our best RB this year. Just don't be surprised if Williams is our best RB by the end of the year

Whaley did not send tapes or go to camps! If he had he would been highly sought after. His HS stats are good! I believe he'll still be our best back at the end of the year!!

SoonerofAlabama
10/1/2011, 11:57 PM
^ You talk about heart, just look at Whaley in this game. Gets hurt, is out, comes back in runs for a big gain, next play 25-yard TD. Kids got heart. Love him.

Widescreen
10/2/2011, 12:00 AM
Those guys are good but they're not as good as Nate Hybl.

SoonerKnight
10/2/2011, 12:01 AM
^ You talk about heart, just look at Whaley in this game. Gets hurt, is out, comes back in runs for a big gain, next play 25-yard TD. Kids got heart. Love him.

I said that already!! LOL!

Dwight
10/2/2011, 12:17 AM
Brandon Williams is a boss.

101sooner
10/2/2011, 12:24 AM
Thing about Whaley is that I can't find a single thing about his game that I don't like.

Whaley has no faults right now. He is VERY good at everything. What does he not do well?

Williams looked fantastic!

sooner KB
10/2/2011, 12:28 AM
Didn't Hunnicut miss two FGs?

Widescreen
10/2/2011, 12:30 AM
He missed one.

sooner KB
10/2/2011, 01:11 AM
Oh. How many was Stevens missing per game?

Widescreen
10/2/2011, 01:31 AM
Not sure what your point is. Stevens missed one occasionally too.

yankee
10/2/2011, 01:37 AM
And not sure if there is a "good" missed FG, but at least it wasn't an ugly miss that Jimmy Stevens had all the time.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/2/2011, 01:48 AM
I wanna see more of Finch, and much less of Clay. Clay runs like Kejuan Jones, and is the only running back we have that doesn't impress. Maybe he's a good blocker, which is superb, of course. He just needs to get fewer carries.

sooner KB
10/2/2011, 06:40 AM
Not sure what your point is. Stevens missed one occasionally too.

Yeah I know, I just find it interesting that Stevens is the worst kicker that ever existed according to this board, but Hunnicut misses one and all of a sudden he's "The Real Deal."

pphilfran
10/2/2011, 07:01 AM
I've been impressed with Hunnicutt but was surprised he was still second string this week. Maybe they will open up the job after this week.

If Stevens had kicked in a similar fashion you would have worn his azz out...he hit the crossbar on one kick...missed a gimme 30 yarder...

pphilfran
10/2/2011, 07:03 AM
And not sure if there is a "good" missed FG, but at least it wasn't an ugly miss that Jimmy Stevens had all the time.

Does an ugly, hitting a crossbar make apply?

pphilfran
10/2/2011, 07:09 AM
Stevens for extra points and field goals under 40...

Hunnicut for kickoffs and long field goal attempts...

cleller
10/2/2011, 08:06 AM
Being too cheap to buy the PPV, I'll have to see Williams on the Stoops show. One thing I do know, Whaley is a fearless, tough, holding on to the ball machine.

EatLeadCommie
10/2/2011, 08:23 AM
Whaley is so good it's ridiculous. Best back on the team without question. And Clay is great too, btw.... Guy is solid and gets no love on the boards. All he does is produce yards. Williams will be a beast, but it's not his time.

SoonerMom2
10/2/2011, 09:04 AM
Stevens kicks for extra points are way too low and barely clear the crossbar more often than not. He does kick ugly even when they go through and you cringe. Hunnicut's kicks are much higher and he has been kicking a lot shorter period of time in a game situation. Stevens hasn't gotten better with getting his kicks higher. Comparing the two is apples and oranges after two games for Hunnicut and way too many games for Stevens.

jk the sooner fan
10/2/2011, 09:10 AM
personally i'd like to see what Brandon Williams can do against a more than inferior team, in the fourth quarter when they're sucking wind and down by 50 points

i think he has great potential but i'm going to reserve any anointing until he's got some carries against a quality opponent..you know, "meaningful carries"

EatLeadCommie
10/2/2011, 09:24 AM
by the way, Clay = Chris Brown. No flash, but totally solid. Every time he touches the ball, you know he's good for at least 4 yards. He always falls forward too. Very Marcus Allen in that respect.

tcrb
10/2/2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah I know, I just find it interesting that Stevens is the worst kicker that ever existed according to this board, but Hunnicut misses one and all of a sudden he's "The Real Deal."

Hunnicut missed from 30, but made FG's from 39 and 44. The 39 yarder glanced off the upright and through, but the 44 yarder was right down the middle. He put all of his pat's well over the crossbar and down the middle. When was the last time Jimmy made a fg over 40 yards...or for that matter over 30 yards? Hunnicut at least inspires confidence that there's a better than 50/50 chance he's going to make it when it's t'd up outside the 15 yard line.

cccasooner2
10/2/2011, 09:46 AM

O'Hare for kickoffs instead and I think we have a familiar setting. :)

sooner518
10/2/2011, 09:50 AM
Hunnicut missed from 30, but made FG's from 39 and 44. The 39 yarder glanced off the upright and through, but the 44 yarder was right down the middle. He put all of his pat's well over the crossbar and down the middle. When was the last time Jimmy made a fg over 40 yards...or for that matter over 30 yards? Hunnicut at least inspires confidence that there's a better than 50/50 chance he's going to make it when it's t'd up outside the 15 yard line.

it was actually his 44 yarder that hit the upright. and it hit about 2/3 of the way up the upright. the dude's definitely got the leg that Stevens can only dream of

soonersponge
10/2/2011, 09:55 AM

Stevens made from 41 against UCONN. He also made over 30 vs. FSU.

OUTrumpet
10/2/2011, 09:58 AM
Williams has the best first steps for a tailback that I've seen this season. Incredible acceleration.

tcrb
10/2/2011, 10:06 AM
I want to be clear that I'm not bashing on Jimmy. I've been a supporter of his since he's been on the team, and as ugly as his kicking has been, he has a pretty good made/missed record. I'm just pointing out that Hunniicut inspires far more confidence in OUr kicking game than Jimmy has ever done.

cccasooner2
10/2/2011, 10:25 AM
I don't think anyone thought Williams was not the real deal, it was his ball protection issues that had the coaches concerned. If anyone watched the All-Access preseason drill and scrimage videos, it was pretty obvious Brandon was not protecting the ball very well. I saw Gundy strip the ball from him twice and he fumbled several times in the scrimages. The coaches obviously were happy with his progress and he had a very nice game for his first outing. I hope this game was a confidence builder and portends well for his future.

MI Sooner
10/2/2011, 10:56 AM

This is so obvious as to make me wonder what the coaches are thinking pulling a guy who has hardly missed inside 40. Who GAF how ugly they are if they're effective. I've said it before and I'll say it again, kicker is not like QB. There's no "if you have two, you have none" issue.

soonersponge
10/2/2011, 11:02 AM
This is so obvious as to make me wonder what the coaches are thinking pulling a guy who has hardly missed inside 40. Who GAF how ugly they are if they're effective. I've said it before and I'll say it again, kicker is not like QB. There's no "if you have two, you have none" issue.

I would agree. That is the best scenario. But Stevens is hurt right now. That is why he has not played last 2 games.

oumartin
10/2/2011, 11:13 AM
Ya know who the best runner on this team is. Landry Jones. We need to run more option with this dude.. Deceptive speed.. :)

dennis580
10/2/2011, 11:33 AM

I will take this as either a joke or a grave insult to Whaley.

SoonerofAlabama
10/2/2011, 11:34 AM
I will take this as either a joke or a grave insult to Whaley.

Whaley has seen this post and will respond with 400 yards rushing against UT.

dennis580
10/2/2011, 11:36 AM

The only way that happens is if Whaley gets hurt. Whaley will continue to get more, and more of the carries, and he will be the feature back.

stoopified
10/2/2011, 11:38 AM
Williams is probably our best RB on this teamBest RUNNER maybe but there is more to playing RB than just running.In that regard I would say he is still #4 behind Whaley,Clay,Finch.

Okie35
10/2/2011, 11:39 AM
Whaley has seen this post and will respond with 400 yards rushing against UT.

I'm really impressed with Whaley. His vision and his toughness are unmatched right now. I swear he breaks so many tackles and he's not even a big guy. His ball security is also very good.

dennis580
10/2/2011, 11:40 AM
Whaley is so good it's ridiculous. Best back on the team without question. And Clay is great too, btw.... Guy is solid and gets no love on the boards. All he does is produce yards. Williams will be a beast, but it's not his time.

Clay is NOT great he is very mediocre. Its just a waste giving him carries.

hotshot13422
10/2/2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah, Clay hasn't been very impressive. Solid, yes but no great. I'd have Whaley and Williams as the top 2 RB's right now. Finch just keeps making too many mistakes on the field right now.

rock on sooner
10/2/2011, 11:56 AM
Speaking of runners, there was a lot of excitement in the radio booth when Blake Bell took off.....

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2011, 01:01 PM
I wish I could see the B. Williams carries - sounds like he was pretty impression. I've been surprised he hasn't come in the game until now given they were not planning to redshirt him (or maybe that's a recent change of heart). I'm guessing they can't trust him yet on pass blocking or getting his non-running assignments correct. Makes me doubt we will see him next week assuming the game is close.

ouwasp
10/2/2011, 01:04 PM
I've become a Whaley fan along with everyone else... but I saw something on hornfans last night that warmed my heart and made me an even bigger fan of Dom: horns grumbling about a great running back coming out of nowhere; didn't seem fair... :)

ashley
10/2/2011, 01:30 PM
Williams has been in the doghouse because of fumbling and pass protection in practice. They have thought all along he wouldbe great if those could get corrected.

10/2/2011, 02:01 PM
Whaley is so good it's ridiculous. Best back on the team without question. And Clay is great too, btw.... Guy is solid and gets no love on the boards. All he does is produce yards. Williams will be a beast, but it's not his time.Clay is brought down FAR too easily! VERY unimpressive.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/2/2011, 03:40 PM
Clay is brought down FAR too easily! VERY unimpressive.

Clay's YPC aren't that much different than Demarco/Brown 2 years ago (3.8 vs 4.1 for those 2). He is missing that extra wiggle at the end of the run that Brown had and its costing him 1/2 yard a carry. He needs another year to get his avg over 4.0.

Now that being said, Whaley is averaging 5.4/carry which is an incredibly high 1st year average (only a 1/3 of a yard behind AD's 2004 campaign). Williams is at 5.3 against the scrubs but he is still able to do it with the 2nd team O. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 of them are the rotation 1/2 way through the year. Finch is just missing so many keys it isn't funny.

SoonerJack
10/2/2011, 05:04 PM
I wanna see more of Finch, and much less of Clay. Clay runs like Kejuan Jones, and is the only running back we have that doesn't impress. Maybe he's a good blocker, which is superb, of course. He just needs to get fewer carries.

^ this

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/2/2011, 05:13 PM
Clay is NOT great he is very mediocre. Its just a waste giving him carries.

His YPC are almost the same as DeMarco's from last year, was he very mediocre?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2011, 05:16 PM
His YPC are almost the same as DeMarco's from last year, was he very mediocre?

This...I think they are pretty much the same player with Clay with slight less driving power in his legs

85sooners
10/2/2011, 05:36 PM
whaley runs circles around this clay guy

sooner KB
10/2/2011, 06:27 PM

I'm with you. I just still think it's silly that the bar has been lowered so much where when we have a kicker that "at least inspires confidence that there's a better than 50/50 chance he's going to make it", it makes him "The Real Deal." Not trying to dog him or anything.

sooner KB
10/2/2011, 06:29 PM
Being too cheap to buy the PPV, I'll have to see Williams on the Stoops show. One thing I do know, Whaley is a fearless, tough, holding on to the ball machine.

Can anyone tell me when and on what station I can see the Stoops show? It's been forever since I've watched it, but finally need to.

10/3/2011, 02:36 AM
Clay's YPC aren't that much different than Demarco/Brown 2 years ago (3.8 vs 4.1 for those 2). He is missing that extra wiggle at the end of the run that Brown had and its costing him 1/2 yard a carry. He needs another year to get his avg over 4.0.

Now that being said, Whaley is averaging 5.4/carry which is an incredibly high 1st year average (only a 1/3 of a yard behind AD's 2004 campaign). Williams is at 5.3 against the scrubs but he is still able to do it with the 2nd team O. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 of them are the rotation 1/2 way through the year. Finch is just missing so many keys it isn't funny.It appears to me we are run-blocking considerably better than we did last yr. That being the case, even more proof that Clay isn't getting it done when carrying the ball.

gernblansten
10/3/2011, 02:35 PM
Florida State is probably the best defense we've faced. All Clay did was open the game with runs of 12, 4, 4, and 7. That same drive, Whaley went for 6, 1, 4, and 9. I'm not sure why anyone is down on Clay. Whaley should continue to get the most carries, but Clay is a good player.

10/3/2011, 03:14 PM
Florida State is probably the best defense we've faced. All Clay did was open the game with runs of 12, 4, 4, and 7. That same drive, Whaley went for 6, 1, 4, and 9. I'm not sure why anyone is down on Clay. Whaley should continue to get the most carries, but Clay is a good player.haha. anecdotal evidence to prove a point is not very convincing. Anyway, betcha Stoops will figger it out.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/3/2011, 03:47 PM
It appears to me we are run-blocking considerably better than we did last yr. That being the case, even more proof that Clay isn't getting it done when carrying the ball.

haha. anecdotal evidence to prove a point is not very convincing. Anyway, betcha Stoops will figger it out.

Couldn't have said it better myself

gernblansten
10/4/2011, 08:32 AM
haha. anecdotal evidence to prove a point is not very convincing. Anyway, betcha Stoops will figger it out.

Yes, looking at a game against the best defense we've played in which Clay averaged 4.3 ypc is not nearly as convincing as "Lookin' at the line block compared to last year, I don't think Clay's getting it done."

dennis580
10/4/2011, 09:41 AM
Whaley is a far better runner in every way then Clay. He's far more explosive, far more powerful, and far better at making people miss. Clay just screams mediocre in every way. Its just wasted carries to give Clay the ball. I hope Whaley gets 25+ carries against Texas.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2011, 09:55 AM
Whaley is a far better runner in every way then Clay. He's far more explosive, far more powerful, and far better at making people miss. Clay just screams mediocre in every way. Its just wasted carries to give Clay the ball. I hope Whaley gets 25+ carries against Texas.

You can't look at the stats and say that Clay is mediocre without saying Finch is flat out bad (since Clay is at 3.8 and Finch is at 3.5 YPC). Clay is a Chris Brown clone that RARELY loses yardage (only lost yardage on 1 carry this season) which is why the coaches are so high on him. I mean everyone absolutely slobbered over Murray because he was the better back, yet his YPC wasn't that much better than Clay's last year (or the year before).

NormanPride
10/4/2011, 11:08 AM
Do you think Williams seems more carries vs Texas or will the coaches wait and use the more steady hand of Clay?

I tend to think that we haven't even scratched the surface of what this O can do, formation and personnel wise.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/4/2011, 01:51 PM
To play RB in this offense, you have to be able to do it all well and be able to stay on the field in every situation...I have no doubts that the Williams could eventually be a good runner, but this is a big game for a freshman to miss his spots and get the quarterback blown up

NormanPride
10/4/2011, 02:40 PM
Agreed, I just don't think he's ready. Next year...

hotshot13422
10/4/2011, 02:59 PM
Our best running back this year

1. Whaley
2. Williams
3. Clay
4. Finch

Our running backs based on potential

1. Williams
2. Whaley
3. Finch
4. Clay

who will have the best career at OU

1. Williams
2. Whaley
3. Clay
4. Finch

I just don't see Finch getting any playing time, if he does I have him ahead of Clay

pphilfran
10/4/2011, 03:34 PM
Finch was the flavor of the month in the past...now it is Williams...with 58 yards on 11 carries in mop up duty against Ball State we have now crowned him King of Running backs...

He looks stout but it is much too early to proclaim his as AA material...

hotshot13422
10/4/2011, 03:40 PM
Finch was the flavor of the month in the past...now it is Williams...with 58 yards on 11 carries in mop up duty against Ball State we have now crowned him King of Running backs...

He looks stout but it is much too early to proclaim his as AA material...

nm. Comprehension

10/4/2011, 03:48 PM
Finch has superb running ability. Clay is the only RB we have been using that does NOT.(unfortunately)

pphilfran
10/4/2011, 03:52 PM
Comprehension? You have placed a kid with 11 carries in mop up duty against Ball State as the number two back....for ME, it will take more than that before he gets moved ahead of Clay...

Last year Finch was all the rage with fans...where is he now?

He may end up being a stud but I will withhold judgement until I see him with more carries against top notch competition...

stoops the eternal pimp
10/4/2011, 03:55 PM
Hey Rush, what was your opinion on Murray?

10/4/2011, 04:02 PM
Hey Rush, what was your opinion on Murray?He ran tough for his size, but never regained the superb cutting ability and evasiveness he had as a RS freshman, before he got hurt in the TxTech game in Lubbock, where we got screwed by the officials... yet again.(the pass in the end zone by our reserve QB Joey Halsle, which should have been a TD, with a couple other bad calls)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2011, 07:57 PM
Comprehension? You have placed a kid with 11 carries in mop up duty against Ball State as the number two back....for ME, it will take more than that before he gets moved ahead of Clay...

He may end up being a stud but I will withhold judgement until I see him with more carries against top notch competition...

I'm having flashbacks to 2000 and Works over Q

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2011, 07:58 PM
He ran tough for his size, but never regained the superb cutting ability and evasiveness he had as a RS freshman, before he got hurt in the TxTech game in Lubbock, where we got screwed by the officials... yet again.(the pass in the end zone by our reserve QB Joey Halsle, which should have been a TD, with a couple other bad calls)

So a guy who was a 3rd round draft pick wasn't good enough. Got it.

10/4/2011, 08:10 PM
So a guy who was a 3rd round draft pick wasn't good enough. Got it.You're just being obstinant for the heck of it, aren't you?

hotshot13422
10/4/2011, 08:57 PM

It was an edited post because I had responded to your message then re-read it and realized it said something else than I thought it did. That's why I said comprehension, because I didn't comprehend your post. Sorry for confusion.