PDA

View Full Version : Can Chris Christie Be A Viable Presidential Candidate In Spite Of His Looks?

lexsooner
10/1/2011, 06:16 PM
He seems to have substance, but he is also, well, a big fat slob. I don't think there is any precent for a physically unattractive person winning the White House in modern times. It may not be fair, but appearances mean a lot. I actually don't recall any Presidents who were shorter than average. Taller and slender or average weight seems the formula. Clinton was heavy, but he's a big tall guy and did not look anything like Christie.

OU_Sooners75
10/1/2011, 06:31 PM
WOW.

Way to be mature about this. Why call someone a big fat slob, just because they are obese?

If Christie ran, he would be the best candidate in the race!

Serge Ibaka
10/1/2011, 07:27 PM
This just means he looks like most Americans (Big 12 + SEC football fans especially). His appearance wouldn't hurt him.

Still, he's already said 1 billion times that he isn't going to run.

47straight
10/2/2011, 01:21 PM
If we elected a man without the self-discipline to stop smoking, can't see why we wouldn't elect a man without the self-discipline to stop overeating.

badger
10/2/2011, 02:05 PM
Gov. Christie has made fun of his own appearance on numerous occasions and even poked fun at it when his opponent tried to point it out in attack ads. I don't see it impacting voters in the least... at least not a majority of them. Minimal impact, if any.

However, there are other factors that would stop Gov. Christie from being a viable candidate at this point, one of which is the fact that we might have our first-ever December caucus and/or primary. Beyond ridiculous, yes I know, and it hurts candidates that haven't established themselves yet (or haven't established themselves enough) in the early primary/caucus states because they have so little time to campaign, prepare, fund raise, get on the ballot, etc.

So, no President Christie in 2012, but not because he weighs more than the three guys standing in front of me at Saturday's game (they were tall, too!)

TUSooner
10/2/2011, 09:22 PM
Wm. H. Taft weighed over 300 lbs, albeit in a pre-TV age (not modern times?).

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 09:55 PM
If we elected a man without the self-discipline to stop smoking, can't see why we wouldn't elect a man without the self-discipline to stop overeating.

Maybe it goes beyond self-discipline?

I know my mom had a thyroid problem and had to have a gastric bypass or whatever they call it to help her lose weight.

Some people that are obese can eat healthy and be very disciplined and conscience eaters, yet still gain weight.

BTW, you know why Americans are the fattest people in the world?

It isn't because we are lazy. We work the most hours in a week compared to all other countries.
We put more into our work than any other nation.

No, it is because America also has the lowest smoking rate of any nation, or at least industrialized nation.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 09:58 PM
Gov. Christie has made fun of his own appearance on numerous occasions and even poked fun at it when his opponent tried to point it out in attack ads. I don't see it impacting voters in the least... at least not a majority of them. Minimal impact, if any.

However, there are other factors that would stop Gov. Christie from being a viable candidate at this point, one of which is the fact that we might have our first-ever December caucus and/or primary. Beyond ridiculous, yes I know, and it hurts candidates that haven't established themselves yet (or haven't established themselves enough) in the early primary/caucus states because they have so little time to campaign, prepare, fund raise, get on the ballot, etc.

So, no President Christie in 2012, but not because he weighs more than the three guys standing in front of me at Saturday's game (they were tall, too!)

If Christie decided to run this month, it wouldn't matter. He would be a top 3, even if there is primaries or caucuses in December or not.

There is a big part of the republican voters that want him to run.

MountainOkie
10/3/2011, 08:46 AM
Has the country become so vain and shallow that weight is now an indicator of likely Presidential "performance"?

TUSooner
10/3/2011, 08:52 AM
I confess political ignorance, and few would dispute it. But it seems like the GOP has tasted and spit out any number of bizarre-o "flavors of the month." If this Christie fellow walks upright, speaks reasonably good English, believes the Earth is round and goes around the Sun, and thinks science and reason still have a place in Government and the Republican Party, then he has a chance and would probably get my vote.

OU_Sooners75
10/3/2011, 08:55 AM
Has the country become so vain and shallow that weight is now an indicator of likely Presidential "performance"?

Yeah, because the last two average sized guys have done such a great job. You obviously have to be average sized to be able to perform for this nation. [/sarcasm]

badger
10/3/2011, 09:05 AM

If there was any concern, it would be that Christie had breathing issues recently while in office, and the Oval Office would probably be 200 times more health stressful than New Jersey's governor's mansion.

Link
(http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/07/28/gov-chris-christie-rushed-to-hospital-with-breathing-problems/)
Still, I think that since we're in October and presidential primaries keep moving up on the calendar, we are a little too late for a presidential candidate to declare. Definitely not too late for a veep nominee, though, if Christie wanted to go that route.

XingTheRubicon
10/3/2011, 10:44 AM
I've never seen a fat person in a concentration camp. If you're fat, you eat too much.

soonercoop1
10/3/2011, 04:34 PM
Not in the south...

Midtowner
10/3/2011, 04:45 PM
He's #1, a sure thing, the messiah until he declares. Then he'll poll well for a few weeks, then be in the also-ran category with Perry.

badger
10/3/2011, 04:55 PM
He's #1, a sure thing, the messiah until he declares. Then he'll poll well for a few weeks, then be in the also-ran category with Perry.

I know you're being semi-sarcastic, but you post has extreme merit. People usually get a big bump upon initial declaration and then unless something else major gets announced or happens, their polls flatline for weeks if not months.

AlboSooner
10/3/2011, 09:20 PM
Add him to the list of the people who will never become president. Christie wouldn't even win the GOP primary.

MR2-Sooner86
10/3/2011, 10:36 PM
I was worried the presidential elections were becoming like American Idol. Whew! Thanks for showing me that's not the case.

Sooner5030
10/3/2011, 10:46 PM
just like mangino.......every time I see him I want to put down my beer and run five miles just as a preventive measure. Maybe Christie would be good for my health.