SanJoaquinSooner
10/1/2011, 12:22 AM
nm

AlbqSooner
10/1/2011, 07:09 AM
Good stuff. I am happy for her.

btk108
10/1/2011, 07:35 AM
so she's been here legally all this time and working?

CrimsonJim
10/1/2011, 11:09 AM
Suuuurvey says... ???

SoonerStormchaser
10/1/2011, 11:24 AM

SanJoaquinSooner
10/1/2011, 12:16 PM
She's been working continuously with at least one job for the 21 years she's been in California.

I taught her to say, "Yo soy un Sooner."

Sooner_Tuf
10/1/2011, 12:25 PM
So she has been here illegally for 21 years?

unbiasedtruth
10/1/2011, 12:40 PM
She's been working continuously with at least one job for the 21 years she's been in California.

I taught her to say, "Yo soy un Sooner."

let me see..... are your bragging that you knowingly and willingly harbored an illegal for 21 years?

SanJoaquinSooner
10/1/2011, 01:18 PM
Whoaaa, you're going waaay overboard with your unfounded presumptions. With all this legality talk, I'll need to see your Fish & Game badge.

CrimsonJim
10/1/2011, 03:15 PM
It was a simple yes or no question. What did you expect everybody to take from your non-answer?

MR2-Sooner86
10/1/2011, 04:14 PM
:pop:

Serge Ibaka
10/1/2011, 04:23 PM
Hey, she took somebody's job. :mad:

Get real. Seriously happy for you and yours. Congrats.

Sooner_Tuf
10/2/2011, 10:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JedX0y-T0oo&feature=related

CrimsonJim
10/2/2011, 12:45 PM
nm

nm? Please, don't get shy on us now. ;)

8timechamps
10/2/2011, 12:49 PM
For the love of God!

Congrats SJS, sounds like a happy ending.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 07:59 PM
For the love of God!

To an illegal problem!

btk108
10/2/2011, 09:41 PM
For the love of God!

exact reason my college graduate, tax paying, social security supporting since she was 15, government guaranteed student loan, daughter cant' find a job that makes a living.

your nonchalant attitude just contributes to the problem.

Petro-Sooner
10/2/2011, 11:22 PM
Build a wall and those won't come.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2011, 11:49 PM
Build a wall and those won't come.

Better yet, why not round them up and ship them back?

bonkuba
10/3/2011, 01:54 AM
heh :smug:

Sooner_Tuf
10/3/2011, 06:04 AM
nm

Shine a little light and like a ****-a-roaches.....

SanJoaquinSooner
10/3/2011, 08:26 AM
exact reason my college graduate, tax paying, social security supporting since she was 15, government guaranteed student loan, daughter cant' find a job that makes a living.

btk,

I sincerely apologize for giving that perception. I don't know anything about your daughter's circumstances, her professional field or expertise, but if I could help a fellow Sooner in this area, I would.

I have my own family circumstances too. My mom had a ruptured aneurysm, followed by a stroke, and has needed 24/7 care for many years. It cost every penny of her pension and social security to pay for home care that has unbelieveable turnover and quality control issues. I think one's own family may be offer a level of caring others may not. But the gov't won't let me bring one of my sister-in-laws to the U.S. to do this. As I've stated many times, I am against illegal immigration and would never consider paying the smuggling fee to bring her across. I am in favor of changing laws that I realize have no chance of changing while we are in a severe economic downturn.

badger
10/3/2011, 08:31 AM
btk,

I sincerely apologize for giving that perception. I don't know anything about your daughter's circumstances, her professional field or expertise, but if I could help a fellow Sooner in this area, I would.

I have my own family circumstances too. My mom had a ruptured aneurysm, followed by a stroke, and has needed 24/7 care for many years. It cost every penny of her pension and social security to pay for home care that has unbelieveable turnover and quality control issues. I think one's own family may be offer a level of caring others may not. But the gov't won't let me bring one of my sister-in-laws to the U.S. to do this. As I've stated many times, I am against illegal immigration and would never consider paying the smuggling fee to bring her across. I am in favor of changing laws that I realize have no chance of changing while we are in a severe economic downturn.

Congrats to your sister. It sounds like she's worked hard toward getting her visa.

It's a touchy issue, but I think many can respect someone who has worked hard in menial jobs for years and eventually earn the right to be a legal resident.

NormanPride
10/3/2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I'm sure a girl taking a job busing tables in California is why college grads can't find work.

soonerboomer93
10/3/2011, 09:49 AM

Has she been applying to be a manager at a buffet restaraunt?

yermom
10/3/2011, 09:54 AM
NP and sb93 both beat me to it :(

Lott's Bandana
10/3/2011, 10:21 AM
SJS has done a great job showing how personalizing an issue makes it much more difficult to hang on to big picture black&white certainties about scenarios.

My knee-jerk reaction to illegals has always been rather conservative, but then I get presented with an example provided by SJS, showing what seems to be a quality woman working hard to make her circumstances better...I would have to say I completely understand her motivation and can't fault her at all.

This particular woman is not (as far as I can tell from what has been presented) committing felonies, hurting anyone or impacting anyone else's livelihood, unless you want to argue the minutia that she has taken a citizen's table-bussing job.

My opinion is my own and none of you really care, but I will say I commend SJS for his family commitment, family pride and starting a thread that made me have to really think.
I like thinking.

Sooner_Tuf
10/3/2011, 10:52 AM
It's a complicated issue and one that can pull at your heart strings. There is still the matter of the law, which exists for a reason. People can chose immigrate legally or illegally.

Maybe we should just open the border? After all the vast majority of the people crossing are good people.

3rdgensooner
10/3/2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I'm sure a girl taking a job busing tables in California is why college grads can't find work.

NP and sb93 both beat me to it :(

Ditto

My opinion is my own and none of you really care, but I will say I commend SJS for his family commitment, family pride and starting a thread that made me have to really think.

I like thinking.

Ditto

badger
10/3/2011, 11:42 AM

Nothing to do with the present conversation, but I was joking with a friend before the game Saturday that college grads that stayed in Norman (or any college grads that try to stay in their college's town) tend to not work in their major's field and often seem to find work well below their education level.

Seriously SJS, your in-law deserves kudos for sticking it out this long and now getting her visa to be legal and all.

CrimsonJim
10/3/2011, 08:40 PM
Still waiting on a simple answer to a simple question...