PDA

View Full Version : "launching"

Iam4OUru
9/30/2011, 09:33 PM
A player was ejected from the BYU-USU game tonight for leading with his head gear. While I think the call was justified, the ejection was not, IMO. It didn't appear to be any worse a hit than when the Shaw kid was whacked in the FSU game. Protecting these players should be priorit one, but, IMHO.....it is becoming a bit ridiculous.

Thoughts?

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 10:31 PM
I watched it, and pretty much have the same opinion.

I don't know for sure, but I think the kid has to sit out of next weeks game. Either way, the ref was too quick to eject him. Maybe they instructed the officials to start cracking down on it. Right call, bad decision.

soonerboomer93
9/30/2011, 10:45 PM
the difference was in how he left the ground to make a hit above the numbers.

I don't really agree with the ejection, but the plays really aren't that comparable.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/30/2011, 10:47 PM
We pulled up the NCAA rule on it here the other day. Ejection is part of the rule, not an option to enforcement. If you flag the hit, the kid has to go. Not real sure why there's grey area to be honest.

Iam4OUru
9/30/2011, 11:04 PM
We pulled up the NCAA rule on it here the other day. Ejection is part of the rule, not an option to enforcement. If you flag the hit, the kid has to go. Not real sure why there's grey area to be honest.

I didn't know that. Reckon you could post the rule?

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 11:08 PM

So, it's got to be in the initial wording on the infraction I guess. Leading with your helmet won't get you tossed, but launching will. Strange.

Iam4OUru
9/30/2011, 11:43 PM
So, it's got to be in the initial wording on the infraction I guess. Leading with your helmet won't get you tossed, but launching will. Strange.

Yes, that is a bit "strange". The intepretation of this rule by the officials will cause a team to lose a big game before this season is done. I just hope it ain't us.