PDA

View Full Version : The real reasons that A&M defected to the SEC. Some of this may surprise you.

champions77
9/30/2011, 03:27 PM
A&M to the SEC - Reasons Behind the Decision

By David Sandhop
Aggie Websider Publisher
Posted Sep 28, 2011

| More

The state and national media seem to think Texas A&M left the Big 12 due to emotional reasons surrounding the Longhorn Network. However, the decision to join the SEC had more to do with enhancing the university's national brand. Aggie Websider's David Sandhop takes an in-depth look at the factors behind A&M's move to the SEC.

After months of speculation, Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin did what every media pundit, college football analyst, and casual college athletics fan felt would never happen. On Monday, Loftin accepted an unconditional invitation to join the Southeastern Conference in front of SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, SEC board chairman and University of Florida president Dr. Bernie Machen, and several hundred celebrating Aggie students and supporters.

On June 30, 2012, Texas A&M will leave the Big 12 Conference and in the process split with long-time in-state rivals Texas Tech, Baylor, and Texas. It was something the Big 12 Conference thought would never happen as well. After all, Texas A&M has always been joined at the hip with its lone star state brethren. That was no more evident than in the mid-1990’s when the Longhorns and Aggies flirted with the SEC when the venerable old Southwest Conference was on its last legs. At the time, Texas governor (and Baylor graduate) Ann Richards and lieutenant governor Bob Bullock (Texas Tech graduate) used their political clout to force a merger between the Big Eight and four schools from the SWC to form the Big 12. SEC expansion into Texas was thwarted for the first time.

The shotgun wedding was expeditious for the political leaders from the state of Texas, but the alliance proved tenuous from day one when the Longhorns flexed its muscles immediately to end the unlimited use of academically-challenged “prop 48” athletes that were the cornerstone of old Big Eight powers Nebraska and Oklahoma. Texas also insisted on unequal revenue sharing based on TV appearances. There was also plenty of bickering regarding the location of the conference’s premiere football and basketball conference championship events. There were other spats over the course of 15 years, but Nebraska finally had enough of Texas’ perceived heavy-handed tactics and in 2010 bolted to the Big Ten while Texas planned to take OU, OSU, Texas Tech, Colorado, and Texas A&M to form the PAC-16.

But the Aggies started to have second thoughts about moving west, concerned about a poor cultural fit with many of the liberal west coast schools like Cal-Berkley. It was at this time that former Texas A&M player/coach and current regent Gene Stallings used his connections as a former Alabama coach to inquire about the SEC’s interest in his alma mater…and to the surprise of Texas A&M administration, there was great interest. In fact, SEC commissioner Mike Slive even traveled to College Station to meet with Texas A&M administration on the possibility of switching conferences. However, while the Aggies flirted with a possible move in June 2010, the university did not have the united support needed from administration, donors, and former students. With the state legislature going into session the spring of 2011, Texas politics was also a factor. As a result, President Loftin agreed to remain in the Big 12 with certain financial and operational concessions from the Big 12 Conference. The SEC’s expansion into Texas was thwarted yet again.

However, just six months later, the Longhorns not only signed an exclusive $300 million deal with ESPN for the Longhorn Network with ESPN, but the network pushed for Big 12 football game rights and broadcasting rights to Texas high school sporting events that featured Longhorn verbal commits and recruiting targets. This triggered the latest and ultimately final contact between Texas A&M and the SEC that eventually led to this week’s unconditional invitation and formal acceptance as the 13th member of the Southeastern Conference.

But, the underlying reasons for Texas A&M’s departure to the SEC did not revolve around the controversial Longhorn Network as many think. The issues surrounding the network definitely hastened the process, but make no mistake Texas A&M was eventually going to land in the SEC. This was an 18-month process, although seeds for this eventual move were likely planted back during the initial flirtation in 1994.

Many in the national media have suggested Texas A&M’s move to the SEC was an emotional decision based on jealousy toward the University of Texas. Some analysts have even suggested that the Aggies “wanted to take their ball and go home”, as if the decision to leave the Big 12 was a spontaneous move born out of anger and frustration toward the Longhorns.

That simply wasn’t the case for the administration and the board of regents tasked to make such decisions impacting the university and its athletic program for the next century. Look at Loftin’s comments made at Monday’s press conference and you see hints at the real reason why Texas A&M is leaving the Big 12.

"The Southeastern Conference provides Texas A&M the national visibility that our great university and our student-athletes deserve," said Loftin. "Now, we have a venue. The SEC will be our national stage every day, every month, every year, giving extra value to our former students. The brand of Texas A&M is made by you, and it will be seen every day."

This was a business decision made by the university executives, not an emotional reaction to a third tier rights television network. The issue at hand for Loftin is building Texas A&M’s national brand, which is sorely weak at this point. That may come as a surprise to most Texas A&M former students and supporters, because the Aggie brand is strong within the state’s borders.

Sources have indicated that a study was commissioned last year to evaluate the current value of the Texas A&M brand, and the results were quite startling. Despite a well-recognized brand within the state of Texas, outside the region very little was known about the university’s established research capabilities and scholastic reputation within academia. In fact, the results suggested that few respondents outside the state could differentiate Texas A&M from other Texas institutions, and that Texas A&M needed to find a vehicle to improve visibility across the nation and enhance the value of the university’s brand.

One of those vehicles is the Southeastern Conference with its exclusive national TV contract with CBS. Add in the agreement with ESPN, and over half of the SEC institutions are on national television every week. In 2010, every LSU conference match-up was on national TV. By comparison, only the Thanksgiving date with Texas was a true national broadcast for Texas A&M despite Top 10 games with Nebraska and Oklahoma last year. Texas A&M leadership believes the opportunity to play regularly on the national stage is one of several moves necessary to begin the process of building the Aggie brand across the country.

Of course, that only happens if Texas A&M’s major athletic programs can compete at the highest levels, especially in football and basketball where exposure is the greatest. A&M officials feel that being the only SEC institution in the state of Texas will enhance overall recruiting in the lone star state and will also open up recruiting in Louisiana and surrounding areas. That means being more competitive on the recruiting trail against Texas and Oklahoma selling top prospects on what many believe is the best football played in the country. The Aggies hope to sell blue chips a unique opportunity to play in the best athletic conference while staying close to home near family and friends, something its Big 12 rivals can’t offer. Officials believe this message will be especially strong in the eastern parts of the state including the Greater Houston area and the piney woods of East Texas.

Finally, the financial component is critical to the future success needed to be consistently on the national stage. While Texas A&M’s athletic department budget is formidable in the $70 million range over the past couple of years, that pales in comparison to the top tier athletic departments like Texas, Ohio State, Florida, and Michigan with expense budgets over $100 million. Texas A&M believes the university can make big strides in this area under the SEC banner.

Most financial analysis regarding realignment discussed in the media focuses on conference TV contracts. In fact, detractors of Texas A&M’s move to the SEC point to a very small difference in the estimated financial TV package of the Big 12 once it renegotiates its tier one rights deal in three years versus the SEC. That can be debated, with the SEC looking to rework its existing TV contracts as well, but let’s put that aside for now. After all, conference and NCAA TV revenues account for only 15-20% of total athletic department revenue among the larger top tier programs. The majority of revenues are generated from general ticket sales and donations. In 2009, nearly 67% of all Texas A&M’s revenues came from these two components. Conference and NCAA television sources accounted for roughly 15% of the department’s revenues.

The university is banking that the move to the SEC will generate excitement and interest in the program among its supporters, which will increase that 67% piece of the pie. Early indications are that the move will pay off in this area. In fact, the ground swell of support for a move to the SEC in recent months by the former students and donors likely made the decision to leave the Big 12 much easier.

According to several sources close to the university, conditional donation pledges flooded the university when rumors surfaced that Dr. Loftin and his team were once again pursuing membership in the SEC. These donations will pay for the expenses of leaving the Big 12. There are also rumors that a significant “Boone Pickens-esque” nine digit donation pledge is in place that will be used for the Kyle Field renovation and expansion project to begin in 2013. The project should add a south end zone enclosure that will include more luxury suites and possibly more seats that could see Kyle Field approach the 100,000 seat capacity. Thus, the pieces will be in place to significantly increase ticket sales and associated donations.

When the latest SEC rumors heated up in late July, Texas A&M’s athletic department saw an immediate surge in remaining ticket sales, selling out all season tickets for the first time in recent memory. Just two seasons ago, football attendance averaged approximately 74,000 for the Aggies’ first three home non-conference games. For the first two non-conference home games in 2011, attendance spiked to 86,800 which is above official capacity.

With these figures in place and the excitement generated by the possibility of joining the SEC, the short-term financial risk of leaving the Big 12 is minimal. In fact, the early evidence clearly shows that the Aggies will have a significant bump in revenues and capital funds. Add in the extra conference TV revenues from the SEC (which several internal sources project will end up being over $30 million annually), potential increases in licensing and merchandising, sponsorships, and concessions, and the Texas A&M administration feels that the university will soon approach the same financial area code of the big boys.

Of course, ultimately the excitement and shine of joining the SEC will eventually fade, and then the hard work begins. Excitement will be replaced by expectations. To sustain the expected revenue growth and to fill a 100,000 capacity Kyle Field in the long term, the Aggies must put winners on the field, and be able to consistently compete with Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, etc. for conference titles.

Dr. Loftin and the Texas A&M administration are betting big that the Aggies will thrive in the SEC environment. They are betting on the Aggies going national. They’ve gone all in, and the university and its supporters and stakeholders are hoping for a royal flush.

Related Stories
Hop's Final OSU Report Card
-by Websider.com Sep 27, 2011
SEC Press Conference Photo Gallery
-by Websider.com Sep 27, 2011
SEC unlikely to remain at 13?
-by KentuckySportsReport.com Sep 26, 2011

sooner n houston
9/30/2011, 03:59 PM
Hey champs, I have some beach front property in Tulsa to sell ya.

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 04:06 PM
I stopped reading after this:

"The Southeastern Conference provides Texas A&M the national visibility that our great university and our student-athletes deserve," said Loftin. "Now, we have a venue. The SEC will be our national stage every day, every month, every year, giving extra value to our former students. The brand of Texas A&M is made by you, and it will be seen every day."

Oh, is that what was holding you back?

What a joke. Looks like the author was gettin' his spin on!

SoonerMom2
9/30/2011, 04:15 PM
A&M wanted to go with AR to the SEC way back when so they have been plotting their exit for years to a conference where they can join AR in not going to BCS bowls but then they didn't go to them in the Big 12 either.

A&M had no desire to come to the Big 12 but the powers at be in office in TX took it out of their hands. That's the real story not this phony garbage being put out.

One thing I have to agree with having been through that area is that they are a much better fit in the SEC then the Big 12 or the PAC 12. I can see them yelling SEC, SEC where the rest of us wouldn't come close. Their mindset is much more SEC IMHO.

A&M was not a rival for OU before the Big 12 and it won't be after A&M leaves.

marfacowboy
9/30/2011, 04:17 PM
Aggie is a national brand?

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 04:21 PM
A&M wanted to go with AR to the SEC way back when so they have been plotting their exit for years to a conference where they can join AR in not going to BCS bowls but then they didn't go to them in the Big 12 either.

A&M had no desire to come to the Big 12 but the powers at be in office in TX took it out of their hands. That's the real story not this phony garbage being put out.

One thing I have to agree with having been through that area is that they are a much better fit in the SEC then the Big 12 or the PAC 12. I can see them yelling SEC, SEC where the rest of us wouldn't come close. Their mindset is much more SEC IMHO.

A&M was not a rival for OU before the Big 12 and it won't be after A&M leaves.

Agreed 100%. They are weird enough to fit right in.

CowboyMRW
9/30/2011, 04:30 PM
This article is GARBAGE!!!!!!!! And the editor that let it come out is garbage

TheUnnamedSooner
9/30/2011, 04:33 PM
ghey.

badger
9/30/2011, 04:53 PM
Somebody who didn't work hard, didn't show up to every practice, had a terrible diet (smoking, possibly drugs) and ran slow as a result did poorly on the track team one season. To not add insult to injury, I suggested that perhaps she just wasn't running in the best events for her.

Somebody must have told Texas A&M the same thing. You can't recruit (because you change coaches so often and you lose a lot), you can't get on TV (because you lose so often), you can't win conference championships (again, losing!) or make it to the BCS (LOSING!!!!!!!). Perhaps you're just in the wrong conference?

LASooner
9/30/2011, 04:57 PM
I'll hold my opinion until I hear how the dead dogs feel about it.

BeaSooner
9/30/2011, 05:06 PM
puff puff pass

badger
9/30/2011, 05:06 PM

I was kind of picturing what an expanded endzone would look like. Would they have to build AROUND the dead dog memorial? It's weird to think about, but I'm sure that will just make Kyle Field even more sacred to Aggie :rolleyes:

And this (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3029075) is how I picture Aggie recruiting going in the SEC in a few years when they're losing as much as Ole Miss did under Coach O. :D

A bunch of borderline prospects that are probably going to juco instead of the SEC and having everyone defect to LSU and better programs. Hey, maybe you'll get them in a few years when Lester grayshirts em or takes away their scholarship! :les:

OUmillenium
9/30/2011, 05:24 PM
Aggie branding is way overrated in their state, now they want to be considered overrated and insignificant on a national scale.

badger
9/30/2011, 06:00 PM
Aggies:

http://www.myfitnessstudio.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/mirror.jpg

http://lateralaction.com/base/media/post-images/muscle2.jpg

oumartin
9/30/2011, 06:02 PM
A&M haven't beaten an SEC team since 95

yukonsooner
9/30/2011, 06:09 PM
Tomorrow will be a welcoming to the SEC by Arkansas. This should set the scene for what is yet to come for the aggies. I fully expect Arkansas to win. You think the aggies will be chanting S-E-C, S-E-C? Don't they do that win or lose???

sooner518
9/30/2011, 06:20 PM
Tomorrow is gonna be the SEC bowl. No matter which team wins, they'll all be chanting SEC after the game is over. Losers. That article is full tardbilly aggie spin

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 06:57 PM
I can't wait for reality to set in for aggie fans. Sure, the money they're getting in the SEC is going to be great for the university, but it will do absolutely nothing for most fans. They think that moving to the SEC is going to be a great sell for recruits...as if magically, because they're in the SEC recruits are going to pick them over LSU or Bama. The only recruiting benefit anyone is getting, are the SEC schools that now have an in to the Texas recruiting base.

No matter how it's spun...the aggies will have as much success in the SEC, as they did in the Big XII (and that's to say, none.).

Have fun aggie...we hardly knew you were here.

Sooner1972
9/30/2011, 07:01 PM
Other than more money, more national visibility, being in a stable conference that isn't dominated by one team, better competition, and more excitement on a weekly basis, I have no idea why A&M (or Mizzery) would ever consider leaving the B12-2-2. No idea whatsoever.

sooneredaco
9/30/2011, 07:34 PM
Bawhahahahaha!!!! Welcome to the land of getting your a$$es handed to you, again.....

bluedogok
9/30/2011, 07:47 PM
I agree with one point of the article, this wasn't a hasty decision made in anger at UT, this has been in the works for a long while and has been on their minds for many years....of course you could say that anger towards UT has been building for many, many years.

LASooner
9/30/2011, 08:13 PM
Tomorrow will be a welcoming to the SEC by Arkansas. This should set the scene for what is yet to come for the aggies. I fully expect Arkansas to win. You think the aggies will be chanting S-E-C, S-E-C? Don't they do that win or lose???

Actually I expect the opposite, I expect A&M will win, and they'll say "SEE, We told you we belong in the SEC!"

When in reality, they are just beating another Southwest Conference team who hasn't done anything but disappoint and never live up to expectations year in and year out. Their one chance at greatness left flailing in the grass when they couldn't run the clock out.

http://youtu.be/nkqPT5Vv7zw?t=2m52s

picasso
9/30/2011, 08:28 PM
I never read it because I never really cared why they want out. I only wish Nebraska had stayed.

Sabanball
9/30/2011, 08:56 PM
Good read, and what's not to understand about it? Makes perfect sense to me. You can laugh, but AM does have a brand to sell and promote. It's a business decision first and foremost.

At least they have more guts than your president and are willing to play big boy football, instead of hiding behind 'academics' and trying really to just protect an easier path to the BCSCG every year. I still say if the sooner nation--including posters on this forum-- and OU 'sidewalk alumni' had a vote you guys would be coming to the SEC too--in a landslide....David Boren is out of step with the r/f OU fan. But, hey, what do they know, right?

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 09:07 PM
Good read, and what's not to understand about it? Makes perfect sense to me. You can laugh, but AM does have a brand to sell and promote. It's a business decision first and foremost.

At least they have more guts than your president and are willing to play big boy football, instead of hiding behind 'academics' and trying really to just protect an easier path to the BCSCG every year. I still say if the sooner nation--including posters on this forum-- and OU 'sidewalk alumni' had a vote you guys would be coming to the SEC too--in a landslide....

Come back in 10 years, and let us know what you think about aggies.

badger
9/30/2011, 09:09 PM
Actually I expect the opposite, I expect A&M will win, and they'll say "SEE, We told you we belong in the SEC!"

BYU beat Ole Miss in Oxford this season. Do THEY belong in the SEC too?*

*This is how I would respond if they were to argue that based on a single win over Arky they really belong in the overrated conference.

Sooner98
9/30/2011, 09:40 PM

At least they have more guts than your president and are willing to play big boy football, instead of hiding behind 'academics' and trying really to just protect an easier path to the BCSCG every year. I still say if the sooner nation--including posters on this forum-- and OU 'sidewalk alumni' had a vote you guys would be coming to the SEC too--in a landslide....David Boren is out of step with the r/f OU fan. But, hey, what do they know, right?

Spot on. Lots of people in denial here.

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 10:25 PM
Spot on. Lots of people in denial here.

Some may be in denial, oooooor, some of us may realize that none of us know what really went on. It's all speculation. For instance, we don't know why (or even if) Boren has no interest in the SEC. But, there are people on here that apparently have it all figured out.

BB37
9/30/2011, 10:48 PM
I can't wait for reality to set in for aggie fans. Sure, the money they're getting in the SEC is going to be great for the university, but it will do absolutely nothing for most fans. They think that moving to the SEC is going to be a great sell for recruits...as if magically, because they're in the SEC recruits are going to pick them over LSU or Bama. The only recruiting benefit anyone is getting, are the SEC schools that now have an in to the Texas recruiting base.

No matter how it's spun...the aggies will have as much success in the SEC, as they did in the Big XII (and that's to say, none.).

Good point. If the SEC recruiting hype were accurate, then Vandy, KY, 'Ole Miss and MSU would be much better than they have been historically. It's hard to imagine HS players are going to suddenly start choosing aTm over **censored**, OU and Boone State just because they've joined the SEC.

BigTip
9/30/2011, 10:55 PM
Soooo.....I guess A&M isn't going to stay, huh?

BigTip
9/30/2011, 11:02 PM
They think that moving to the SEC is going to be a great sell for recruits...as if magically, because they're in the SEC recruits are going to pick them over LSU or Bama.

No, they don't think recruits will pick them over LSU of Bama, they think now recruits will pick A&M over Texass and us.

We can make fun of aggie all we want, but in reality, this is good for them and I can't think of one reason why it's good for us.

They'll still be goofy losers, but this will elevate them from being pathetic goofy losers to being only sad goofy losers.

Neath a Western Sky
9/30/2011, 11:13 PM
Some may be in denial, oooooor, some of us may realize that none of us know what really went on. It's all speculation. For instance, we don't know why (or even if) Boren has no interest in the SEC. But, there are people on here that apparently have it all figured out.

Texas is proceeding with their high school highlights programming on the LHN, we gave up a share of our cash to the Little Sisters Kansas, I-State, mighty mighty Baylor, et al, and we're "handcuffed" with "grants of rights" in the Texas 9. Which might well soon be the Texas 8 if Mizzou leaves. No PAC. No SEC. No Big 12. We are Texas' biotsch. Well done, Boren. None of that is speculation.

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 11:16 PM
No, they don't think recruits will pick them over LSU of Bama, they think now recruits will pick A&M over Texass and us.

We can make fun of aggie all we want, but in reality, this is good for them and I can't think of one reason why it's good for us.

They'll still be goofy losers, but this will elevate them from being pathetic goofy losers to being only sad goofy losers.

I'm sure which conference a team plays in has some effect on a recruits choice, but I can't imagine it's that big of an affect. We get kids from Florida, California and even New Jersey, and something tells me it's not because playing in the BiG XII is so much better than playing in the PAC 12 or Big EAST/ACC. Their decision is based on how well the school they choose will prepare them to get to the next level, or how close is it so my mama can see me play. When the aggies find themselves among the bottom dwellers of the SEC, how is all the "we're" in the SEC recruiting going to work? Check Ole Miss, Kentucky, etc. Doesn't seem to work too well for them.

A&M was mediocre at best in the Big XII, and got some decent recruits from their home state. When they go to the SEC and find themselves below mediocre, what's the draw then? "We're in the SEC son, you have to come here"..."Yeah, but ya'll suck, I can stay close to home and at least play for a championship!".

I don't see how we lose in this situation.

Let's say you live in Louisville, KY,
If you had an offer to go play for Kentucky, or go play at Florida State, where would you go? Kentucky right? They are in the SEC afterall.

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 11:21 PM
Texas is proceeding with their high school highlights programming on the LHN, we gave up a share of our cash to the Little Sisters Kansas, I-State, mighty mighty Baylor, et al, and we're "handcuffed" with "grants of rights" in the Texas 9. Which might well soon be the Texas 8 if Mizzou leaves. No PAC. No SEC. No Big 12. We are Texas' biotsch. Well done, Boren. None of that is speculation.

Can you link to these points? I've seen a lot of media speculation (using their "sources"), but I have yet to see anything signed that says all of this. Do you happen to have a transcript from the conversations Boren had with Scott? What about the Meeting of the Big XII members? Nothing? Again, I'll stick to my nobody really knows what was said, or what is planned.

Prodigal
9/30/2011, 11:44 PM
Good move by A&M. It looks even better than it did a few months ago.

It is pretty much a no-lose situation for them, and it causes Texas and OU to have a little more risky situation.

CowboyMRW
10/1/2011, 01:18 AM

I recently read an article that said that if they stay in the Big 12, then they would receiver more money than leaving. This factors in even more considering the athletic department is already in debt, plus exit fees, which I've seen reported to be around 27 million.

I really do believe that they are just running away from Texas. I don't give a rats *** what they say, they are scared of Texas

OUHOMER
10/1/2011, 05:38 AM
It should be fun to see LSU show up for a game and the LSU fans are told they can not touch the grass. That should be fun to watch.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/1/2011, 07:41 AM
Kentucky, Mississippi St., Ole Miss, South Carolina and Vanderbilt aren't on the national stage, so I don't see how ATM thinks they will. And then the SEC has other programs such as Arkansas and Georgia who only thinks they are on the national stage, but ultimately, haven't done crap in the the annuals of college football history.

BeaSooner
10/1/2011, 08:20 AM
It's 8:19 a.m. and I still hate tu

Lott's Bandana
10/1/2011, 09:25 AM
^^^Why do you hate Tulsa?

As far as the article, the inability to spell BERKELEY tells me you are correct in not fitting in with the culture of the PAC-12's academic priorities.

<insert rimshot here>

mehip
10/1/2011, 09:25 AM
A&M to the SEC - Reasons Behind the Decision

Dr. Loftin and the Texas A&M administration are betting big that the Aggies will thrive in the SEC environment. They are betting on the Aggies going national. They’ve gone all in, and the university and its supporters and stakeholders are hoping for a royal flush.

This makes me laugh pretty hard. I've lived in several states and most outside of Texas thinks the ATM machines are a joke athletically, academically and culturally.

XingTheRubicon
10/1/2011, 09:27 AM
Envious of A&M, our conference sucks.

A&M will never be a big dog, in any way, in any conference....but they are also not going to spend the rest of their lives going to Ames, Manhattan, Lubbock, Lawrence and Waco. Our conference sucks.

Lott's Bandana
10/1/2011, 09:36 AM
Envious of A&M, our conference sucks.

A&M will never be a big dog, in any way, in any conference....but they are also going to spend the rest of their lives going to Starkville, Oxford, Gainesville, Baton Rouge. Our conference sucks.

meh.

Lott's Bandana
10/1/2011, 09:37 AM
On second thought, maybe not Gainesville, as they are in the West.

Seamus
10/1/2011, 11:37 AM
This article is GARBAGE!!!!!!!! And the editor that let it come out is garbage

Consider that shark jumped ...

Phil
10/1/2011, 12:06 PM

I was kind of picturing what an expanded endzone would look like. Would they have to build AROUND the dead dog memorial? It's weird to think about, but I'm sure that will just make Kyle Field even more sacred to Aggie :rolleyes:

Actually, the dead dog memorial is outside the north end zone that they already enclosed. They took care of that by putting up a little scoreboard on the outside of the stadium so the dead dogs can always see the score. Oh, and during construction, they put some poor corps freshman out there with a chalkboard to keep the dead dogs updated. And no, I am totally not kidding.

bluedogok
10/1/2011, 12:26 PM
The only time that A&M had any measure of success in the Big 12 was when OU, Texas and to some extent OSU were down, in fact they didn't have much of a national profile even when they won the SWC since their only national championship in 1939. Coincidentally that was the only time that K-State had their only measure of success. Since Stoops, Brown and Miles arrived in the conference both A&M and K-State have been pretty much mired in mediocrity.

XingTheRubicon
10/1/2011, 12:53 PM
meh.

I know what you mean, and don't get me wrong, I loathe the SEC and their inbred fans, but their gameday venues are really incredible.

Take OU, for example...we don't go to Austin, so now, without Lincoln, Boulder, or College Station, and soon Columbia, our best in conference road game is ?????? Lawrence? Stillwater? Everest Center?

The SEC has 10 better away game venues than OU's best away game venue in the Big XII.

1. The Swamp
2. Bryant Denny
3. Rocky Top
4. War Eagle
5. inbRed Stick
6. 12th man
7. between the hedges
8. the grove
9. Fayettenam
10. cocks

SEC - 10
Big 12-2-1-1 - zero

Lott's Bandana
10/1/2011, 01:16 PM
Lawrence is beautiful and a great trip.

I miss Boulder.

Did you really include Baton Rouge on your list? I was listening to your argument until you included that festering puss-latrine of a gene-diluted warthog's sphincter-hole.

OUmillenium
10/1/2011, 04:59 PM
Arkie welcomes aggie to the SEC with a loss. How bout ESPiN marketing during the game. "You're watching the SEC on ESPN", repeatedly.

NYC Poke
10/1/2011, 10:40 PM
soonerfans is the only site for another school that I have posted on with anything close to regularity (I'm genuinely interested in what's going on with OU football, and it can be difficult to follow up here). And I generally don't troll other teams' message boards after their losses.

But texags is a different story. They elevate suffering to an art form. It can be fascinating to watch. Now they are in epic meltdown mode after their second epic meltdown in as many weeks. Poor Aggies.

I have been collecting some of their choicer quotes here: http://www.orangepower.com/threads/warning-texags-meltdown.127481/

For those of you who just can't stand the sight of orange, I'll summarize. They want Sherman gone; the want Urban Meyer, Jackie Sherrill, RC Slocum or (yes) Mike Gundy to replace him; Tannehill is a "tard"; their new SEC buddies are consoling them, letting them know that this is what to expect in the Mighty SEC; and they're discussing smearing themselves with poop.

I am not making any of this up.

Last week they heard the chant of "Big XII! Big XII!" and they did not like it. This week they heard the chant of "S-E-C! S-E-C!" and they did not like it.

Poor Aggies.

eta: Oops. Forgot Bill Cowher on the coaching list.