PDA

View Full Version : He needs to be impeached

SanJoaquinSooner
9/30/2011, 12:59 AM
Clarence Thomas has got to go. Seriously.

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2011, 01:16 AM
What did he do now?

TheHumanAlphabet
9/30/2011, 03:57 AM
He is one of the best SCJ we have.

diverdog
9/30/2011, 04:05 AM

No he is not. But I do not think he should be impeached.

sappstuf
9/30/2011, 04:57 AM
I must have missed something...

Midtowner
9/30/2011, 06:58 AM

He's written that the Bill of Rights can be tossed aside for national security reasons.

diverdog
9/30/2011, 07:06 AM
He's written that the Bill of Rights can be tossed aside for national security reasons.

I think if it is grave enough he is probably right. The ole hidden nuclear weapon in a city would probably be a good example. At that point searches without warrants are going to happen to save peoples lives.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/30/2011, 08:07 AM
What did he do now?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/us/politics/25thomas.html

Justice Thomas said that in his annual financial disclosure statements over the last six years, the employment of his wife, Virginia Thomas, was “inadvertently omitted due to a misunderstanding of the filing instructions.”

Bull****.

jk the sooner fan
9/30/2011, 08:15 AM
impeached over financial disclosure statements?

lol....wow

sappstuf
9/30/2011, 08:20 AM
She made roughly $137K a year?? Hell, that is barely above minimum wage for the DC area.

Midtowner
9/30/2011, 08:22 AM
I think if it is grave enough he is probably right. The ole hidden nuclear weapon in a city would probably be a good example. At that point searches without warrants are going to happen to save peoples lives.

Except he wasn't talking about that. He was talking about Gitmo prisoners, which weren't an imminent threat to anyone.

At any rate, this kind of behavior would probably be enough to impeach a judge who was not on the SCOTUS. He's highly conflicted in various areas and not recusing.

lexsooner
9/30/2011, 08:45 AM

LOL! He sits through the arguments in complete silence, and then concurs with whatever Scalia decides.

Midtowner
9/30/2011, 10:34 AM
LOL! He sits through the arguments in complete silence, and then concurs with whatever Scalia decides.

Not really. Scalia is a principled conservative and probably the best writer on the Court. Thomas is a neocon.

jk the sooner fan
9/30/2011, 10:53 AM
midtowner - what kind of law do you practice?

Midtowner
9/30/2011, 10:58 AM
midtowner - what kind of law do you practice?

I'm not so pigeonholed as to stay away from anything in particular. Right now, most of my cases are family law cases. But I do handle civil rights, juvenile, criminal, probate, personal injury, eminent domain, appellate work and complex civil as well. Just about the only thing I won't do is bankruptcy.

jk the sooner fan
9/30/2011, 11:17 AM
ahh i see

OhU1
9/30/2011, 04:22 PM
He asked Sotomayor "Who has put pubic hair on my coke."

Frozen Sooner
9/30/2011, 04:32 PM

He refuses to ask questions because he feels that doing so during oral argument is disrespectful to the attorney. Let them make their argument. Any question he has should have been answered when he read the brief.

He actually splits with Scalia fairly frequently anymore. Scalia seems to have recognized that substantive due process is precedent. Thomas is bitterly opposed to SDP as a concept and clings to using 14th Amendment P&I. This might seem like a minor point of disagreement, but reversing SDP as precedent would have a rather radical effect.

While Thomas may not vote the way some would like on many issues, thinking he's unintelligent is wildly inaccurate. One simply does not come from his background and rise as high as he has without intelligence. He's also an incredibly personable and likable speaker, who went out of his way to answer every question a group of 186 first year law students asked.

Frozen Sooner
9/30/2011, 04:33 PM
Except he wasn't talking about that. He was talking about Gitmo prisoners, which weren't an imminent threat to anyone.

At any rate, this kind of behavior would probably be enough to impeach a judge who was not on the SCOTUS. He's highly conflicted in various areas and not recusing.

But of course, as we know, the canons of judicial conduct only have advisory force on SCOTUS.

soonercruiser
9/30/2011, 08:42 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/us/politics/25thomas.html

Justice Thomas said that in his annual financial disclosure statements over the last six years, the employment of his wife, Virginia Thomas, was “inadvertently omitted due to a misunderstanding of the filing instructions.”

Bull****.

Yup! Sounds waaayyyyy too much like the tax cheat Tim Geitner.
Or, Warren Buffet whining about everybody else - other than the $1 Billion that he owes the IRS.
:chargrined: