PDA

View Full Version : This is OU's best team since 1988...

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:07 PM
...IMHO ...

SoonerPride
9/29/2011, 09:10 PM
They have the potential, certainly, to play in a great way.

At least Miami isn't on the schedule.

oudavid1
I hope you turn out correct. Natty!

8timechamps
That's a big 'ole statement rus...but I like it.

I think we've had some very talented teams since then, but this one may be the most talented overall.

Soonerus
Certainly...

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2011, 09:15 PM
I just don't see it. Landry has always seemed pretty weak to me regardless of the records he's broken. I guess it's because he came in right after Sam Bradford.

Of course I always always thought (and still do) that Hybl was a great underrated QB while everyone else likes to pile on the poor guy so my opinions probably aren't too valid.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 09:20 PM
I just don't see it. Landry has always seemed pretty weak to me regardless of the records he's broken. I guess it's because he came in right after Sam Bradford.

Of course I always always thought (and still do) that Hybl was a great underrated QB while everyone else likes to pile on the poor guy so my opinions probably aren't too valid.

I can actually get what you're saying (about Landry). The kid is amazing, and I saw that Kiper just moved him up to #4 on his draft board. But, he's just not a magnetic guy...personality maybe? You could be right, maybe just a function of following Sam.

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=SicEmBaylor;3357458]I just don't see it. Landry has always seemed pretty weak to me regardless of the records he's broken. I guess it's because he came in right after Sam Bradford.

Of course I always always thought (and still do) that Hybl was a great underrated QB while everyone else likes to pile on the poor guy so my opinions probably aren't too valid.[/

QUOTE]

You are demonstrably clueless...

VA Sooner
9/29/2011, 09:25 PM
Remains to be seen... I was more convinced after the FSU game but maybe the Mizzou game was just a big letdown game and all 532 yards were a figment of my beer-induced imagination.

starclassic tama
9/29/2011, 09:25 PM

i think it's because landry always seems good for about 2-3 bonehead throws per game. he has as much talent as anyone that has thrown a ball at OU, but he still throws those few balls a game that he absolutely should not have given his ability and experience...

oumartin
9/29/2011, 09:26 PM
Talent wise 2003, 2004 teams were probably far more talented. as was 2008. Look at the draft picks.

As a team you can't say 88 was better than 2000's squad that went undefeated. This team might be in the top 4 or 5 of stoops best but thats it.

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:28 PM
He has passed for more yardage than any QB in OU history, he will easily be a top draft pick, what does it take??? Geez...

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:30 PM
Talent wise 2003, 2004 teams were probably far more talented. as was 2008. Look at the draft picks.

As a team you can't say 88 was better than 2000's squad that went undefeated. This team might be in the top 4 or 5 of stoops best but thats it.

I said it was my opinion, you are entitled to your's...I think we will all realize it soon enough...

OUNASH
9/29/2011, 09:34 PM
85, 86, 87 Sooners went 11-1 and the 88 team 9-3. I would say this team is on par with the 2004 team, if that. There is still alot of football to be played befgore making any comparisons. I hope we can say they rival the 2000 team if they win another National Championship.

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2011, 09:37 PM
He has passed for more yardage than any QB in OU history, he will easily be a top draft pick, what does it take??? Geez...
A national championship is what it takes. I want to see it happen, but it's hard for me to see Landry getting it done. I hope I'm wrong. I like the guy and I certainly like OU so I hope for the best with both.

Shawn Bell shattered every passing and TD record at Baylor and still only won 5 games. That's somewhat apples to oranges, but the point being that it really doesn't matter how many yards he throws for when it's the wins that count.

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:38 PM
I am talking 87-88, Orange Bowl MNC game vs. Miami...

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:40 PM
A national championship is what it takes. I want to see it happen, but it's hard for me to see Landry getting it done. I hope I'm wrong. I like the guy and I certainly like OU so I hope for the best with both.

Shawn Bell shattered every passing and TD record at Baylor and still only won 5 games.

That's somewhat apples to oranges, but the point being that it really doesn't matter how many yards he throws for when it's the wins that count.

Shawn Bell(??) play much in the NFL ???

oumartin
9/29/2011, 09:44 PM
rus is just drunk again

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2011, 09:45 PM
Shawn Bell(??) play much in the NFL ???
As much as Landry has.

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:47 PM
As much as Landry has.

I will save this for a couple of years...

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:51 PM
rus is just drunk again

Gawd...oumartin is doing meth again...

oumartin
9/29/2011, 09:54 PM
i never stopped.. shows what you know

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:58 PM
i never stopped.. shows what you know

I guess I was in the Nile...

Lott's Bandana
9/29/2011, 09:59 PM
'78, '88, '08

We do pretty well on the "8"s. Like the Weather Channel...

Peach Fuzz
9/29/2011, 10:00 PM
JMO, I don't think we're even as good as 04. CFB is down as a whole this year IMFO...

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 10:00 PM
'78, '88, '08

I still think 78 was the best OU team ever !!!

agoo758
9/29/2011, 10:09 PM
See 98'. :mad:

Salt City Sooner
9/29/2011, 10:33 PM

Just call me nobody then, because I agree wholeheartedly w/ you.

Iam4OUru
9/29/2011, 10:35 PM
85, 86, 87 Sooners went 11-1 and the 88 team 9-3. I would say this team is on par with the 2004 team, if that. There is still alot of football to be played befgore making any comparisons. I hope we can say they rival the 2000 team if they win another National Championship.

Wasn't '04 the one they said "couldn't be beat"? "The best ever"? Or, was that '08? Or, both?

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 10:35 PM
Come on, Hybl worst QB of the Stoops era, maybe Blake era too....

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2011, 10:55 PM
Come on, Hybl worst QB of the Stoops era, maybe Blake era too....
Seriously? He won and was MVP of the Rose Bowl. He won a Big XII Championship, and he never lost a bowl game. How many Blake era QB's did that? Sometimes I'm astounded by how dense you can be at times.

btb916
9/29/2011, 10:55 PM

Shawn Bell shattered every passing and TD record at Baylor and still only won 5 games. That's somewhat apples to oranges, but the point being that it really doesn't matter how many yards he throws for when it's the wins that count.

LOL.

I love it when people say, "He's good, but he can't win a title."

Sam Bradford couldn't win a title. Neither could Jason White.

Instead it took a kid from way up north with a bum arm and a damn good defense.

Landry Jones is a killer in big moments now. I have the utmost confidence that, even if he makes a bad decision or two, when it counts -- he will throw a touchdown to Kenny Stills.

btb916
9/29/2011, 10:58 PM
Seriously? He won and was MVP of the Rose Bowl. He won a Big XII Championship, and he never lost a bowl game. How many Blake era QB's did that? Sometimes I'm astounded by how dense you can be at times.

This makes me laugh at your earlier statement even more.

Did Bradford win a bowl game? No. Has Landry lost a bowl game? No.

How can you criticize Landry in one breath, and then come back and laud Hybl? It makes no sense because they are the same in one sense -- they follow a loved QB -- and similar in many others (undefeated in bowls, won BCS bowl, hated by a chunk of the fan base).

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2011, 11:06 PM
This makes me laugh at your earlier statement even more.

Did Bradford win a bowl game? No. Has Landry lost a bowl game? No.

How can you criticize Landry in one breath, and then come back and laud Hybl? It makes no sense because they are the same in one sense -- they follow a loved QB -- and similar in many others (undefeated in bowls, won BCS bowl, hated by a chunk of the fan base).
You have a fair point.

Widescreen
9/29/2011, 11:10 PM
I see rus continues to harbor his irrational dislike for Hybl even after all these years. Worse than the Blake QBs? LOL.

btb916
9/29/2011, 11:20 PM
You have a fair point.

I think so.

Landry is a solid QB and he has matured a great deal before our eyes. I think he would have been much more "loved" by the fan base if he was not forced to step into an before he was really ready. Some people remember that 2009 game against Nebraska so vividly they can't see the here and now. At least that's my take on it.

P.S. I'm happy that Baylor is having a couple of good years. Great to see fans of teams that are historically weak get some time to shine. (Except for OSU fans, of course ;))

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2011, 11:21 PM
P.S. I'm happy that Baylor is having a couple of good years. Great to see fans of teams that are historically weak get some time to shine. (Except for OSU fans, of course ;))

I just want to get back to where we were in SWC. We do that and I'll be one extremely happy Bear.

Eielson
9/29/2011, 11:23 PM
Landry hasn't looked good thus far. He didn't play well at the start of his first two seasons either, though, and he ended up playing much better as the year progressed.

BigTip
9/29/2011, 11:31 PM
I think the knock on Mr Jones is that he is not much of a scrambler. He has rushed for a total of 3 yards this year. So perhaps the perception is that he's not a "do anything I have to to get the job done" kind of quarterback.

But I don't know if that is valid either. Sam didn't exactly set any rushing records himself.

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2011, 11:35 PM
I think the knock on Mr Jones is that he is not much of a scrambler. He has rushed for a total of 3 yards this year. So perhaps the perception is that he's not a "do anything I have to to get the job done" kind of quarterback.

But I don't know if that is valid either. Sam didn't exactly set any rushing records himself.
Neither did Jason White...at least post-knee injury.

OUNASH
9/30/2011, 05:41 AM
Wasn't '04 the one they said "couldn't be beat"? "The best ever"? Or, was that '08? Or, both?

Neither of those teams said they couldnt be beat. The 04 team slogan was finish, since the 03 team lost their last 2 games.

oumartin
9/30/2011, 05:52 AM
um, obviously you guys forgot the two huge runs Landry had against Mizzou. When the chips are down that boy is a player! It's just hard to be a good runner when you look like you are running in quicksand.

Hybl is the most under appreciated player of the stoops era.

owenfieldreams
9/30/2011, 06:24 AM
This team's O-line is an overall better unit that '04 as is the WR unit. RB, not so much but Whaley and Millard are our best bet to move up the chart. Defensively, this unit has a chance to be the best we've had since Mike Stoops left.

As to LJ, remember, Sam lost to UT in '08 and it wasn't until that late Nov.-Dec. run that the '08 team started it's incredible offensive onslaught. If this team progresses as most Stoops' teams have, by the end of the season I believe it'll be the best overall team we've had since Bob came in 1999.

ashley
9/30/2011, 07:30 AM
Our secondary may prevent us from being truly great.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2011, 07:41 AM
Our secondary may prevent us from being truly great.

But not from being truly exciting ! :cower:

PrideMom
9/30/2011, 08:17 AM
I just hope that OU doesn't have to play LSU in the Sugar Bowl. The last time was not a fair environment, as even the half time performers were in purple and gold.

Iam4OUru
9/30/2011, 08:47 AM
I just hope that OU doesn't have to play LSU in the Sugar Bowl. The last time was not a fair environment, as even the half time performers were in purple and gold.

Seems OU always has to play for the title in the opponents home state.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/30/2011, 08:53 AM

Agree from start to finish

jkjsooner
9/30/2011, 09:37 AM
'78, '88, '08

Now we're talking apples and oranges. You're talking about the real '78 and '08 teams. Rus, for some inexplicable reason, wants to call the '87 team the '88 team (joking).

Considering the real '88 season was a letdown, I wouldn't proclaim the 8's are that special.

That was 2003. For some reason we chose not to show up in KC that year - probably because everyone was busy telling us it didn't matter whether we won that game or not (which turned out to be true).

As for '08, I don't think anyone called us the best ever. Our defense was pretty maligned that year and the consensus in the media was the Florida was going to put up 50+ on them.

rekamrettuB
9/30/2011, 09:50 AM
As for '08, I don't think anyone called us the best ever. Our defense was pretty maligned that year and the consensus in the media was the Florida was going to put up 50+ on them.

I know injuries are part of it but wouldn't it have been nice to have Ryan Reynolds (football player, not actor) the entire year?

sperry
9/30/2011, 09:52 AM

I agree with this. Saying he is weak isn't fair, but he definitely looks a little worse because he is nowhere close to Sam Bradford (although Bradford might be the best pure passing QB in college football history so take that for what it's worth). However, I think Landry is a good, not great QB. He's not deadly accurate, and he still makes a few idiotic decisions every game, despite being a 4th year junior. Don't talk about yards either, because that's a function of him throwing it more than any of the QBs who have come before him.

I think he's a good, not great QB, and I don't seem him having much of a professional career. JMHO. I do think he's good enough to win us a national championship.

Iam4OUru
9/30/2011, 10:05 AM
In you guys opinion, has Jones progressed or regressed from last year? Compared to the difference in '09 and last year....I don't think he's any better now.

sperry
9/30/2011, 10:23 AM
In you guys opinion, has Jones progressed or regressed from last year? Compared to the difference in '09 and last year....I don't think he's any better now.

Admittedly, it's early, but he looks exactly the same as he did last year early in the year.

The Maestro
9/30/2011, 10:24 AM
Jones is very solid...yet to prove he is what I would call great. And while it counts because he played in the games, the ONLY reason he is the all time passing leader is because of Sam getting hurt. Otherwise, Landry been the starter for just a year.

As far as Hybl being worst of Stoops era and maybe Blake...no credibility with that statement (see Brandon Daniels, Garrick McGee, Eric Moore, Jake Sills, Justin Fuente and more). Hybl was better than Paul Thompson or what we saw from Rhett Bomar--sure that would have changed had he actually worked at BRSI.

oumartin
9/30/2011, 10:25 AM
wrong,, two times already this year this team has faced adversity. Both those times he's stepped up when it mattered.
Last year he would freaked that early in the season at FSU

rekamrettuB
9/30/2011, 10:39 AM

Progressed...big time. This time last year OU losses that game at FSU. He was feeling as much pressure from the DLine as he did at Nebraska a couple years ago and we saw how that game shook down. He is so much better throwing the deep ball too, IMO. He does need to learn to take a sack every now and again instead of trying to get the throw off that's not there.

Breadburner
9/30/2011, 10:52 AM
OP was lickered up.....!!!!

stoopified
9/30/2011, 10:54 AM

As a team you can't say 88 was better than 2000's squad that went undefeated. This team might be in the top 4 or 5 of stoops best but thats it.TRUE enough .........to this point.However if we end up 13-0,12-1 this team moves up the list.

Condescending Sooner
9/30/2011, 10:55 AM
My problem with Hybl was that he had absolutely no field vision. We would have receivers running wide open and he would be locked onto a covered receiver. He had a great arm, but if his read wasn't open we were screwed.

JLEW1818
9/30/2011, 11:20 AM
2003 so much talent. we just choked. 2004 was great too.

2008 the defense started to get better at years end, but the offense lost us the national title.

Boomer.....
9/30/2011, 11:26 AM
I hope you turn out correct. Natty!

I'm going to need to see an ID.

BigDeezy
9/30/2011, 12:01 PM
I just find it interesting that Weeden is being hyped this week for his "all-american player of the week" performance last week (which admitedly was pretty good, and he is deserving of praise for it), but everyone is dismissing Landy's performance even though Landry had more yardage than Weeden on fewer throws, and 1 more touchdown. Yes, he had 2 interceptions, but it was an impressive perforamce none-the-less. My point is simply that Landry seems to be taken for granted and overlooked, mostly by OU fans who just don't seem to appreciate what we have.

The Maestro
9/30/2011, 12:04 PM
I just find it interesting that Weeden is being hyped this week for his "all-american player of the week" performance last week (which admitedly was pretty good, and he is deserving of praise for it), but everyone is dismissing Landy's performance even though Landry had more yardage than Weeden on fewer throws, and 1 more touchdown. Yes, he had 2 interceptions, but it was an impressive perforamce none-the-less. My point is simply that Landry seems to be taken for granted and overlooked, mostly by OU fans who just don't seem to appreciate what we have.

Since I am not about individual honors and care more about team results for OU, I love this. I love that the national media just thinks OU is just a system and whoever they plug in at quarterback will just throw for 400 yards and 5 touchdowns week after week after week. Fine by me! Just keep doing it...

sooneredaco
9/30/2011, 12:30 PM
This team seems to have some grit, which I like. I hope the subpar performance that we had at the start of last week was a wake up call for this team and they can live up to the hype and expectations that they and the media have placed on them.

CatfishSooner
9/30/2011, 01:13 PM
um, obviously you guys forgot the two huge runs Landry had against Mizzou. When the chips are down that boy is a player! It's just hard to be a good runner when you look like you are running in quicksand.

Hybl is the most under appreciated player of the stoops era.

Hybl F'n SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!

Widescreen
9/30/2011, 01:26 PM
Hybl F'n SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!
I see you and your dad suffer from the same delusion. You have my condolences.

Widescreen
9/30/2011, 01:27 PM
N/m

CatfishSooner
9/30/2011, 01:32 PM
YOU are delusional if you think hybl was a good qb...so what if he won the rose bowl and was mvp in it...every squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. He looked like big bird back there w/ happy feet...if we didn't have such great D's at the time we might have struggled to win half our games!!!

oumartin
9/30/2011, 01:35 PM
YOU are delusional if you think hybl was a good qb...so what if he won the rose bowl and was mvp in it...every squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. He looked like big bird back there w/ happy feet...if we didn't have such great D's at the time we might have struggled to win half our games!!!

and had your mom had that abor....

CatfishSooner
9/30/2011, 01:41 PM

screw you man...Garrett Gilbert > hybl

oumartin
9/30/2011, 01:44 PM

I'm sorry, you still have scars from the hanger?

Widescreen
9/30/2011, 01:46 PM
This just proves my longstanding theory that Hybl did something to personally offend the soonerus family. Thats the only explanation for their irrational hatred of a sooner football player.

The Maestro
9/30/2011, 01:49 PM

Is this a joke I am missing cause if not you are having Hybl issues that are epic.

BillyBall
9/30/2011, 01:49 PM
This Hybl obsession is borderline scary.

PalmBeachSooner
9/30/2011, 01:54 PM
...IMHO ...

...at the end of the day...whithout question...

SoonerPride
9/30/2011, 01:55 PM

The guy was not only a great quarterback BUT HE PLAYED WITH A MOTHEREFFIN BROKEN EFFIN COLLARBONE.

He was driven INTO THE TURF by dirty ksu and when White snapped his first freakin' ACL, out comes Hybl, WITH A BROKEN FREAKING COLLARBONE TO TOUGH IT OUT.

Yeah, the offense was more anemic from that point on. You think his BROKEN COLLARBONE HAD ANY AFFECT ON HIS ABILITY TO THROW THE DANG BALL?

He has more grit, toughness and heart in his LITTLE PINKY than you and your ilk. I am sick and tired of anyone ragging on Hybl. Who are you, JIM TRABER and DOUG GOTTWEED?

Pathetic.

Eff the haters man.

sooneredaco
9/30/2011, 02:02 PM
I just read some straight up retarded comments in here about Hybl. What effing planet have you dipsh!ts been on? Really Gilbert better than Hybl? Freaking retarded

stoops the eternal pimp
9/30/2011, 02:12 PM
Good stuff

oumartin
9/30/2011, 02:13 PM
Colt McCoy>Sam Bradford

:eek:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/30/2011, 02:22 PM
****er!

Mississippi Sooner
9/30/2011, 02:23 PM
Hybl suffered from an acute lack vowels.

King Crimson
9/30/2011, 02:27 PM
our O line in 01 was so bad and inexperienced it was absurd.

Hybl won the job. the lame playcalling came after. the hits Hybl took against KSU and later the stupid game against NU where we have a guy with a concussion and a guy who cant walk....that gets beat by the (joke) Eric Crouch Heisman winning throwback play.

no excuse for losing to Les and OSU that year in Norman. none. that is system wide bacteria crap hell.

Boomer.....
9/30/2011, 02:40 PM
Hybl suffered from an acute lack vowels.

That's funny. STEP suffers from an acute abundance of bowels.

SicEmBaylor
9/30/2011, 02:41 PM
+1

stoops the eternal pimp
9/30/2011, 03:02 PM
That's funny. STEP suffers from an acute abundance of bowels.

3 times today..hot links for breakfast

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 04:19 PM
For the record, I still think the 85 Sooners were the best (in my lifetime anyway). Hard to know if we win the Miami game if Troy doesn't break his leg, but if he doesn't, maybe Jamelle doesn't see the field that year. Anyway, I loved watching that defense play.

Back to the Stoops era, I still agree that this team has the ability to be Stoops' best. We can't compare this team to any other yet, especially only three games in. The talent is there, and other than the kicking game, I don't see much of a weakness anywhere.

jkm made a comment last weekend that I agree with...this may be the best set of DE's Stoops has ever had. Which I think makes up for the lack of a standout DT. Also, probably why the gameplan last week was to play a three man front. The staff has a lot of confidence in these DEs, as they should.

OUNASH
9/30/2011, 04:37 PM
Greatest Team in my opinion is the 1974 National Champ Team great on both sides of the ball. I was at the Utah State game that year and we scored 42 points in the first qtr. never seen it since and probably never wil again. Steve Davis and Joe Washington on Offense and the GREAT Selmon Brothers on defense. I think this team ahs alot of heart and I hope we can bring it home.

SoonerNomad
9/30/2011, 04:55 PM
The best OU team since 1988 basaed on how they played and competed is the 2000 team, followed by 2003, 2008, and 2004.

the Best based on talent and potential would go 2003, 2008, 2004, 2000, 2002, 2001.

IMHO

SoonerNomad
9/30/2011, 04:58 PM
As an addition, what exactly has this team accomplished that would even prompt someone to say this team is the best since 1988. The win over FSU was great, but it was followed by FSU giving up tons of points and losing the next week and by the Sooners giving up 500+ and reverting to giving up too many plays. Was the OP basing this assertion on the potential or the hype? Certainly not enough has happened on the field yet to warrant even comparing this team with 2003, 2004 or 2008 and certainly not 2000.

OUmillenium
9/30/2011, 05:09 PM
The best OU team since 1988 basaed on how they played and competed is the 2000 team, followed by 2003, 2008, and 2004.

the Best based on talent and potential would go 2003, 2008, 2004, 2000, 2002, 2001.

IMHO

This...

Plus - Hybl had similar tunnel vision to what LJ has. Both limited mobility with strong arms. Neither that great in checking off the 1st option. Both apt to make more than 1 "terrible" throws in a game. Experienced QBs in a passing system should not make "terrible" throws/reads as a JR or SR. If they are still doing that, then they don't have "it". Good QBs but not great.

Hybl never lost to Uterus but lost to lOSUr twice.

En_Fuego
9/30/2011, 05:10 PM
Was the OP basing this assertion on the potential or the hype?

Nah...Just a Natty Lite

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 05:16 PM
As an addition, what exactly has this team accomplished that would even prompt someone to say this team is the best since 1988. The win over FSU was great, but it was followed by FSU giving up tons of points and losing the next week and by the Sooners giving up 500+ and reverting to giving up too many plays. Was the OP basing this assertion on the potential or the hype? Certainly not enough has happened on the field yet to warrant even comparing this team with 2003, 2004 or 2008 and certainly not 2000.

I agree it's still early, but there is a lot of talent on this team, and they have shown they can be dominating on offense and defense, but I'll reserve "the greatest ever" title, until I see more.

I don't think you can judge FSU based on what happened to them last Saturday. Clemson is a good team, and an ever better team at home. But, I think the injuries FSU suffered in the OU game hurt them (especially losing their starting QB). I wish they could have won, but I don't think they are any less of a team because they lost a close one with a backup qb.

En_Fuego
9/30/2011, 05:19 PM
I'm going with these guys

a0CHjahWtxU

oumartin
9/30/2011, 05:26 PM
My gosh look how young Bob and Brent look. If you think about it. Bob was only 10 years older than Weinke

SicEmBaylor
10/24/2011, 01:10 AM

ttt

Too soon?

soonercastor
10/24/2011, 01:23 AM
http://images.covers.com/covers/emoticons/quiet.gif

SoonerKnight
10/24/2011, 01:31 AM
ttt

Too soon?

YES!!!