PDA

View Full Version : Any cooks out there? - How do you make a great burger??

landrun
9/29/2011, 06:00 PM
My wife's the cook. And she's a great one.

But every now and then, it becomes my chore to make dinner.

I just fried some burgers. They're very bland.

So, I fry my burgers, not grill. How do you make some really outstanding burgers??

All I know is to add some salt and pepper and that's it.

Any recipes??

pphilfran
9/29/2011, 06:09 PM
Add some Lipton Onion Soup Mix...the powder stuff...

Curly Bill
9/29/2011, 06:10 PM
Garlic powder, Lawry's Seasoning Salt, and high heat for that good charred flavor.

SoonerMom2
9/29/2011, 06:11 PM
Use garlic salt for starters and the larger pepper. Also if I fry hamburgers I also fry up some onions and green peppers in the skillet with them to give flavor. I used the olive oil I Cannot Believe It is Not Butter or Smart Balance with Olive Oil to fry them up. It doesn't take much but gives them flavor and then I put provolone or pepper jack cheese on top of the hamburger on top of a garlic piece of bread. I keep garlic sliced frozen bread on hand that can be browned on the stove.

If you want plain hamburgers, use garlic salt instead of salt but I would still put a little of the Olive Oil butter tasting spread to give some flavor -- you can still spice them up wtih pepper jack or even cheddar cheese slices with all the trimmings.

Trust me I know what those burgers taste like -- I grew up on them and then learned to make my own.

Turd_Ferguson
9/29/2011, 06:19 PM
Olive oil, Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Grill medium heat till they have a char on both side then let them rest for a few minutes. Makes a perfect med rare burger. If you fry them, keep some butter on the top of the meat while it's frying...

silverwheels
9/29/2011, 06:26 PM
If you can, buy whole cuts of meat and grind them yourself and aim for 80/20 lean to fat ratio. Season the meat with at least salt and freshly cracked black pepper before you form the patties and let them come to room temperature before cooking them. If you're using a skillet, go with just a little bit of fat, oil, butter, bacon fat, whatever, to help heat move into the food, and cook over medium-high heat for a nice sear on the outside. If you want them cooked all the way through, transfer them to the oven after they're out of the skillet to help finish them off. Everything else, cheese, condiments, etc., is up to you.

northspeter
9/29/2011, 06:28 PM
butter and blue cheese always go well with burgers or steaks....

jumperstop
9/29/2011, 06:38 PM
Grill....that'll help. Then I usually get some Mccormick grillin mates. Have all the good smokey burger seasoning and everything already mixed.

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2011, 06:44 PM
Lowry's and a bit of ground pepper.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/29/2011, 06:55 PM
sea salt, cracked pepper, not extra lean ground beef, bacon, home grown tomatoes, sliced pickles, crispest lettuce you can find, fresh sliced onion, and dijon mustard.

C&CDean
9/29/2011, 07:12 PM
you left out the jalapenos juan.

cleller
9/29/2011, 07:39 PM
For me, the secret is kosher salt. Make out your patties, sprinkle with kosher salt and a little pepper. Let them sit about 20 minutes. Grill over a hot charcoal fire. Hot enough that there is still some flame to give the burgers some char.

Simple, classic taste, like The Charcoal Oven.

Lott's Bandana
9/29/2011, 07:58 PM
There isn't just one way. I made a Siracha/Blue Stilton burger last night...it was orgasmic.

This is a good guide, from Bourdain's "Techniques" episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afWK65oOdIw

sperry
9/29/2011, 08:11 PM
Worcestshire sauce. Tony Chachere's all purpose seasoning.

diverdog
9/29/2011, 08:31 PM
There isn't just one way. I made a Siracha/Blue Stilton burger last night...it was orgasmic.

This is a good guide, from Bourdain's "Techniques" episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afWK65oOdIw

A couple of things:

1. The butter is clarified.
2. Don't use ground burger. Go to a butcher shop and get good ground steak....20% fat content.
3. Good buns are key.
4. Make your own fries from fresh cut potatoes in peanut oil.
5. Caramelized onions are wonderful.
6. The better the ingredients the better the burger.

olevetonahill
9/29/2011, 08:45 PM
Worcestshire sauce. Tony Chachere's all purpose seasoning.

I had to log in and say
That shat is the WORST thing ya can ad to burger
Onion soup mix. add an EGG to help hold the meat together
Nuff said .

GottaHavePride
9/29/2011, 11:00 PM
Cooking a burger indoors? Don't fry it in deep oil.

Make the patties. You don't need onion soup mix or an egg to hold it together. Just buy good meat - go to a butcher shop, not the Wal-Marts.

Season it. Both sides. Salt and black pepper. Plenty.

Get a cast iron skillet. A cheap-o Lodge is what you want. Get it really freaking hot. Do NOT put oil in it. Lightly oil (olive or vegetable oil) the burger patties. Slap them in the hot pan. Expect a lot of hissing, spitting, and some smoking. Don't move them around or squash them.

3 or 4 minutes later, flip the burger over. Another 3 or 4 minutes later, take the burgers out of the skillet. Eat.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/30/2011, 12:55 AM

I thought about it, but I know you don't care for the 1000 island...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/3288478970_6011ae471c_z.jpg

Actually, my first jalapeno burger I can recall was one from Sonic in Norman.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/30/2011, 04:05 AM
I'm all for simple is better when it comes to the actual grilling of the meat.

Prep:
1) Meat must be room temperature before grilling.
2) Make your patties then put a little well in the middle to help retain juices when grilling.
3) Liberally coat both sides with sea salt and course ground pepper.

Grilling:
Set your grill to the highest setting.
When grill is hot, throw burgers on the grill for 3-4 minutes on first side.
Flip and grill for another 3-4 minutes for a medium done burger.

If making cheeseburgers, move them to indirect heat during last minute or so of cooking and add cheese.

Do not eff with the burgers while they are on the grill. No mashing or poking them.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/30/2011, 04:07 AM
I had to log in and say
That shat is the WORST thing ya can ad to burger
Onion soup mix. add an EGG to help hold the meat together
Nuff said .
Are you making a burger or a meatloaf? No egg needed. I do use onion soup mix for sliders though.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/30/2011, 08:03 AM
Well now we know it takes a burger to get vet back on the board.

pphilfran
9/30/2011, 08:05 AM
He has also posted on the Fire the home crowd thread...

salth2o
9/30/2011, 08:16 AM
A couple of things:

1. Good buns are key.

Hail to tha yeah.

My anaconda don't want none
Unless you've got buns, hun

stoops the eternal pimp
9/30/2011, 08:59 AM
square meat > round

sooner_born_1960
9/30/2011, 09:01 AM
Why would anyone make a hamburger when they can be bought for less than the cost of the fixings?

Boomer.....
9/30/2011, 09:11 AM
Why would anyone make a hamburger when they can be bought for less than the cost of the fixings?

Kind of like making a homemade pizza.

;)

sooner_born_1960
9/30/2011, 09:11 AM
Exactly.

ouleaf
9/30/2011, 09:16 AM
I'm all for simple is better when it comes to the actual grilling of the meat.

Prep:
1) Meat must be room temperature before grilling.
2) Make your patties then put a little well in the middle to help retain juices when grilling.
3) Liberally coat both sides with sea salt and course ground pepper.

Grilling:
Set your grill to the highest setting.
When grill is hot, throw burgers on the grill for 3-4 minutes on first side.
Flip and grill for another 3-4 minutes for a medium done burger.

If making cheeseburgers, move them to indirect heat during last minute or so of cooking and add cheese.

Do not eff with the burgers while they are on the grill. No mashing or poking them.

Pretty much agree with all of this....for my taste though about 3 mins a side.

Also, don't just buy generic hamburger buns....look at using different types of bread/rolls.

rekamrettuB
9/30/2011, 09:20 AM
Put the cheese in the burger patty...BOMB!!!

A1 sauce in the mix is pretty good too.

There's also a cajun seasoning that I throw on mine...it's in a yellow shaker but the name escapes me.

soonerbrat
9/30/2011, 10:28 AM
Don't press it down or squish it into the pan, it squishes the fat/juice out and makes it dry...make sure they are the shape you want before you put it in there...

soonerbrat
9/30/2011, 10:29 AM
Put the cheese in the burger patty...BOMB!!!

A1 sauce in the mix is pretty good too.

There's also a cajun seasoning that I throw on mine...it's in a yellow shaker but the name escapes me.

yeah, mixing up shredded or crumbled cheese of choice into the patty is very delicious

virginiasooner
9/30/2011, 03:46 PM
First step to a good burger is to grind your own hamburger meat. I use a combination of chuck and sirloin. And you should be able to get it done at your supermarket -- just ask the butcher. I haven't purchased hamburger meat for about six years. Of course it helps to have a Kitchenaid with a meatgrinder attachment.

For seasoning, all a good burger needs is salt and pepper. Condiments are your choice.

I don't have the luxury of an outdoor grill, just my frying pan. Get it REALLY SUPER HOT. And if you're making bacon cheeseburgers, be sure to mix in the bacon fat into the burgers before cooking. Or, better yet, fry some onions in the bacon fat, and add that to your bacon cheeseburger (use real cheddar from a block of cheese, not that stuff wrapped in plastic). And if you're making a thick burger, make a dent in the top of it.

KuppiKunta
9/30/2011, 04:00 PM
I like to grind briskets for my hamburger meat.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/30/2011, 04:00 PM

Also, don't just buy generic hamburger buns....look at using different types of bread/rolls.Crest has some good buns that are cheddar jalapeno. I like the ones that aren't traditional burger buns.

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 04:25 PM
I like to grind biskets for my hamburger meat.

That's weird, and you spelled biscuits wrong.

soonerinabilene
9/30/2011, 06:19 PM
Try smoking them indirectly for about an hour at around 200 degrees, seasoned with kosher salt and pepper.one of the best ways to make a burger that no one really talks about.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/30/2011, 11:06 PM

This. Try my spike burgers.

Jar jalapenos, diced. Mix 'em in with the hamburger and season as appropriate.

Preheat your cast iron pan, nothing crazy. Rub in just a touch of oil with a paper towel so it won't stick. But just a little. Just enough to darken the iron. Throw in your burgers THEN add the juice from the jalapeno jar (along with a number of jalapeno slices) to about half the depth of your burger. Cover and let 'em gin on medium heat for roughly 10 minutes. Your pan MUST be covered.

Once that's done, remove the lid, drain the remaining juice, remove the loose peppers, and add a touch of real unsalted butter to relube your pan and add a lil' counter to the vinegar and heat. Saute the burgers to your liking and serve. Add a slice of pepper jack cheese and a few of the pepper slices you softened in the juice from before and BLAM.

Spike burgers. Awesome in a bun.

booomer
10/2/2011, 10:02 AM

So, I fry my burgers, not grill. How do you make some really outstanding burgers??

Any recipes??

Makes 4 1/2-Pound Burger Patties
Ingredients:

2 pounds ground chuck
1 cereal bowl full of Kellogg's Corn Flakes
1/2 small onion diced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Cavender's Greek Seasoning
1/4 cup water

BajaOklahoma
10/2/2011, 11:30 AM
What is with putting salt on the hamburger before cooking? All you are doing is pulling the moisture out. Salt should be applied after cooking.
And it sounds like a lot of you cook meatloaf patties.

Meat should be room temerature.

SoonerJack
10/2/2011, 03:13 PM
Cooking a burger indoors? Don't fry it in deep oil.

Make the patties. You don't need onion soup mix or an egg to hold it together. Just buy good meat - go to a butcher shop, not the Wal-Marts.

Season it. Both sides. Salt and black pepper. Plenty.

Get a cast iron skillet. A cheap-o Lodge is what you want. Get it really freaking hot. Do NOT put oil in it. Lightly oil (olive or vegetable oil) the burger patties. Slap them in the hot pan. Expect a lot of hissing, spitting, and some smoking. Don't move them around or squash them.

3 or 4 minutes later, flip the burger over. Another 3 or 4 minutes later, take the burgers out of the skillet. Eat.

^ This.

SoonerJack
10/2/2011, 03:17 PM
What is with putting salt on the hamburger before cooking? All you are doing is pulling the moisture out. Salt should be applied after cooking.

Baja I'd agree with that if we were talking about pre-salting cuts (porkchops, steaks, etc.) but I don't think that pre-salting burgers hurts that much.

Usually I'll hit mine with Montreal Steak seasoning about 3 minutes before I pull them from the grill. Don't frequently fry them inside, but I'm fine with them that way. When I do cook them indoors, I always cook onions along with them. And, put the buns on the griddle/pan to put a little char on them. Good stuff.

Ok, now I'm hungry for a burger. Great thread!!!

okiegirl
10/2/2011, 03:43 PM

Any recipes??
I like to taste the meat, not the spices...so I buy the right %....thats the real trick, I like 90% lean...they have it in iowa and it is called special blend. I also like meat that is aging....then fry it on a med to lower setting(add a dash of pepper before it is done). then fry some hashbrowns, put the burger on top of the hashbrowns.. add some bell pepper to the burgers (cook to crispy/done), and top with pepper jack cheese...YUMMY..you now have what is called a flash burger...don't server on bread/buns...just eat it and enjoy!!

silverwheels
10/2/2011, 05:45 PM

Salt is always applied before or during cooking...anything, especially meat. Sometimes afterwards, too, depending on what it is (like a light sprinkling of fleur de sel on, say, fried chicken), but if you salt food correctly before/during cooking it shouldn't have to be done after. It doesn't necessarily pull the moisture out (unless you salt it like 2 days in advance), it just moves it around.

SoonerAtKU
10/3/2011, 09:59 AM
Salting the meat a bit before cooking brings some extra proteins to the top surface of the meat, allowing for a better crust. Just don't let it sit in salt for 20-30 minutes before cooking. Let it come to close to room temp before salting and cooking. Putting a small well in the center of each side helps the burger to swell in the center and become level, instead of creating "burgerballs" like so many home cooked versions. 90% lean meat is crumbly. 70% lean meat is mushy and the mouth feel is almost slimy. 80% or close to it is just right for burgers.

Honestly, just watch the Bourdain video above. If you're adding cornflakes to your burgers, just make meatloaf and slice it. No shame in that, and it's delicious on a bun or thick country toast.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/4/2011, 01:08 AM
All I needed to learn about burger makin I learned from Bobby Flay.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/8/2011, 10:39 PM

Also, don't just buy generic hamburger buns....look at using different types of bread/rolls.I made some Bevo burgers tonight. I cooked them on the first side for 3 minutes. Flipped them and cooked them 2 minutes. Then for the last minute I moved them to a not as hot part of the grill and added the cheese. Perfection.

Penguin
10/9/2011, 02:44 PM
This is what I do and I am very satisfied with my burgers.

I work in the seasoning before I make the patties. I usually work in an egg, seasoned salt (or Tony Chachere's), Worcestershire sauce, and if I got a craving for salt, I throw in some soy sauce, too. I used to use seasoned bread crumbs, but it dries out the burgers too much. Make the patties. Stick them in fridge for 60 minutes to help them keep their shape.

You need to get 2 skillets going. One on the highest heat and one on medium heat. Now here's the secret. Roll the patty you are about to cook in sugar. Throw it on the high heat skillet for about 20-30 seconds on each side. This caramelizes the sugar and sears in the moisture. Now, put the burgers on the medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side. The medium heat skillet does the real cooking. NEVER, EVER squish the burger!!!! This makes a cool sound, but it squeezes out the precious juice.

Tasty and juicy. Enjoy.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/9/2011, 04:01 PM
This is what I do and I am very satisfied with my burgers.

I work in the seasoning before I make the patties. I usually work in an egg, seasoned salt (or Tony Chachere's), Worcestershire sauce, and if I got a craving for salt, I throw in some soy sauce, too. I used to use seasoned bread crumbs, but it dries out the burgers too much. Make the patties. Stick them in fridge for 60 minutes to help them keep their shape.

You need to get 2 skillets going. One on the highest heat and one on medium heat. Now here's the secret. Roll the patty you are about to cook in sugar. Throw it on the high heat skillet for about 20-30 seconds on each side. This caramelizes the sugar and sears in the moisture. Now, put the burgers on the medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side. The medium heat skillet does the real cooking. NEVER, EVER squish the burger!!!! This makes a cool sound, but it squeezes out the precious juice.

Tasty and juicy. Enjoy.

How did you learn the sugar angle?

StoopTroup
10/9/2011, 04:25 PM
I like the idea of the steel bowl with a knob on the top to put over the burger and melt the cheese. I like the cheese dripping down the sides of the burger. Also....if you can't just take the burger plain off the grill and enjoy it with out any buns, onions, pickles, lettuce, Tomato or whatever you might put on one....you have no idea whether you know how to cook a good burger or not. Experiment with it until you have your technique down....then start adding things. Not everybody's tastes are the same and if you cook a good burger....when they add what they want on it....they are gonna love what you cooked for them.

Back in the day when Goldies was just one Restaurant they had this double burger that they put cheese and onions in between the two patties and then patted them together. They then seasoned them with Goldie's Salt and cooked them until they were Medium....medium well if you wanted and then top it with another piece of cheese. I know I'll need a bypass someday.