PDA

View Full Version : Maybe R.J. Washington heard you all calling him a "bust"

cleller
9/29/2011, 08:09 AM
A quote from today's paper. For his sake, and the team's, I hope this spells big performances for him:

“I didn't work as hard as I should have,” Washington said. “I kept messing up on the same things. I'm more athletic than most people, so it was an ‘If I keep making plays they'll have to play me' kind of thing. I didn't realize how important practice is the past couple of years.”

SoonerMarkVA
9/29/2011, 08:21 AM
He's been looking pretty good when he's in. Our 4-DE rotation right now is pretty amazing. All those guys are making plays.

badger
9/29/2011, 08:28 AM
If any other recruits or potential college players that are supremely talented and hate practice are reading, protip: Practice isn't for you, it's for preparing everyone around you to give you key blocks, and prepare to play alongside a player as fast, strong and talented as you. :D

NormanPride
9/29/2011, 08:32 AM
Good point, hon. You're very right.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2011, 08:38 AM
thanks babe

badger
9/29/2011, 08:42 AM
thanks babe

Is that what the scouts tell the kids too? Or do you have another funny argument that makes sense to people that can't make sense of practice :D

Breadburner
9/29/2011, 08:43 AM
Free your mind and your *** will follow......P.S. a couple of folks might need to get a room....!!!

OUVarsityXV
9/29/2011, 08:46 AM
He had 7 tackles all year last year. He already has 4 and 2 sacks! He is second behind Frank "I will eat your children" Alexander.

SoonerNomad
9/29/2011, 11:16 AM
It always amazes me when I see quotes like that, but even at Oklahoma where Broyles and Lewis and others pass on the tradition of work ethic some of the four and five star kids still seem to think it should be given to them without putting in the work. The good news is he now realizes he wasn't working hard enough. Now it remains to be seen if he can keep pushing hard to make up for the lost opportunities.

MyT Oklahoma
9/29/2011, 11:20 AM
It always amazes me when I see quotes like that, but even at Oklahoma where Broyles and Lewis and others pass on the tradition of work ethic some of the four and five star kids still seem to think it should be given to them without putting in the work. The good news is he now realizes he wasn't working hard enough. Now it remains to be seen if he can keep pushing hard to make up for the lost opportunities.

^^ Amen.

Meanwhile.. where is Geneo Grissom?

westbrooke
9/29/2011, 01:11 PM
If our "bust" debate had anything to do with his turn around, then bravo us. But it seems he's not the only one making comments like this recently (see: Jaz Reynolds). Give credit to our coaches for pounding this into their heads without driving them off.

^I think you're right about the character of our leaders having a lot to do with instilling this work ethic in younger classes. We've seen what can happen when a team thinks it's earned victory just by suiting up, both here and in other programs (5-7 anyone?). There will always be some kids that need to have their eyes opened when they get here, that have been the best player on any field they've stepped on for the better part of a decade, that must face the fact that they've now reached a level of competition that they can't master by simply showing up. If that attitude is pervasive, even good coaches often can't shake it loose. As long as we have leaders who have internalized this lesson (it's not like Broyles never had his entitlement issues *cough* gas card *cough*), then we can bring the newbies along.

pphilfran
9/29/2011, 01:42 PM
eGDBR2L5kzI

sperry
9/29/2011, 01:46 PM
^^ Amen.

Meanwhile.. where is Geneo Grissom?

Stuck behind some absurdly talented players... Alexander is gone after this year, and I think Ronnell will probably go pro, so Geneo will get his shot in the rotation next year. Feels like we have about 6 starting caliber players at DE and RB, but are perilously thin elsewhere.

yankee
9/29/2011, 01:50 PM
Sounds a little bit like the Pryce Macon story.

picasso
9/29/2011, 01:55 PM
Free your mind and your *** will follow......P.S. a couple of folks might need to get a room....!!!

Redneck noise. That's all that is.

MojoRisen
9/29/2011, 04:03 PM
RJ is looking good, he may turn out to be a beast afterall. Good to see him on the field he gets better every week.

prrriiide
9/29/2011, 04:05 PM
Redneck noise. That's all that is.

Man....who you callin' redneck??

http://entimg.s-msn.com/i/mu/s/slyAndTheFamilyStone/sly_2_150x200.jpg

Fraggle145
9/29/2011, 04:07 PM
...Ronnell will probably go pro...

heh

cccasooner2
9/29/2011, 04:14 PM
eGDBR2L5kzI

I know what yer sayin bro.

Curly Bill
9/29/2011, 05:25 PM
I'm glad me calling him out turned him around. :victorious:

I have taken notice that he's played well.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 05:32 PM
I think falling out of the #1 spot and playing a closer than expected game against Mizzou (at home nonetheless) may have served as a "come to Jesus" meeting for this team

May be the best thing that could've happened.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/29/2011, 05:40 PM
If our "bust" debate had anything to do with his turn around, then bravo us. But it seems he's not the only one making comments like this recently (see: Jaz Reynolds). Give credit to our coaches for pounding this into their heads without driving them off.

^I think you're right about the character of our leaders having a lot to do with instilling this work ethic in younger classes. We've seen what can happen when a team thinks it's earned victory just by suiting up, both here and in other programs (5-7 anyone?). There will always be some kids that need to have their eyes opened when they get here, that have been the best player on any field they've stepped on for the better part of a decade, that must face the fact that they've now reached a level of competition that they can't master by simply showing up. If that attitude is pervasive, even good coaches often can't shake it loose. As long as we have leaders who have internalized this lesson (it's not like Broyles never had his entitlement issues *cough* gas card *cough*), then we can bring the newbies along.GOOD. WELL SAID

badger
9/29/2011, 05:48 PM
I think falling out of the #1 spot and playing a closer than expected game against Mizzou (at home nonetheless) may have served as a "come to Jesus" meeting for this team

They have had lots of those lately, haven't they? The adversity of losing to Texas A&M and Mizzou should have been motivation. The deaths of Austin Box and Brandon Everage should have been motivation. Now this.

:) Perhaps there is just no motivating the young teenage, early 20s dude. :D

9/29/2011, 05:58 PM
They have had lots of those lately, haven't they? The adversity of losing to Texas A&M and Mizzou should have been motivation. The deaths of Austin Box and Brandon Everage should have been motivation. Now this.

:) Perhaps there is just no motivating the young teenage, early 20s dude. :DPerhaps some folks with NFL aspirations have a tendency to hold back, for fear of injury?

badger
9/29/2011, 06:11 PM
Perhaps some folks with NFL aspirations have a tendency to hold back, for fear of injury?

We need to slip this nugget into the heads of bammer and tigger players.

"Well, you COULD win a championship for Bama and LSU, but really, wouldn't you rather save yourselves and your health and well being for when you'll be paid millions instead of thousands?" :D

9/29/2011, 06:40 PM
We need to slip this nugget into the heads of bammer and tigger players.

"Well, you COULD win a championship for Bama and LSU, but really, wouldn't you rather save yourselves and your health and well being for when you'll be paid millions instead of thousands?" :DSumpin like that.

As good as Demarco was, por ejemplo, I remember his freshman yr, when he was SUPERSONIC, before he got kneestrung in that tx tech game. His performance the next yr was a shadow of his former self. Even though he improved over time, it never seemed to me he completely opened up for the rest of his OU career. Maybe he did the best he could. I sure don't know. But, that IS how it seemed to me.

mightysooner
9/29/2011, 08:46 PM
How exactly do you make it to OU football and not realize how important practice is?

VA Sooner
9/29/2011, 09:21 PM
Time to rise and shine, Mr. Washington. Go out there and make us proud.

VA Sooner
9/29/2011, 09:22 PM

Best thing to happen to the team and come out with a win. Wake up call, especially before the Texas game. Can't go into the Cotton Bowl feeling too comfortable.

bluedogok
9/29/2011, 10:30 PM
How exactly do you make it to OU football and not realize how important practice is?
When you have excelled and been the best in your area without having to work at it you just assume that is natural. That is why some of the highly rated recruits flame out, they have never been challenged and never get that work in addition to talent will make them a better player. Marcus Dupree was a prime example of this.

It also applies to some of the brightest students as well, if good grades came easy many have a hard time adjusting to more work and studying in college.