PDA

View Full Version : Interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas Teleconference Comments, 9/28

SoonerMom2
9/28/2011, 10:57 PM
Interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas Teleconference Comments
Courtesy: Big12Sports.com
Release: 09/28/2011

By Wendell Barnhouse | [email protected]
Big12Sports.com Correspondent

Big 12 Conference interim commissioner Chuck Neinas covered a number of topics Wednesday evening during a call with a handful of reporters.

On Missouri's situation:
"We're working hard to create conference stability. Over the last two days I had an outstanding meeting with the directors of athletics on Tuesday and met with them individually Wednesday morning."

Missouri and the grant of first- and second-tier media rights:
"Relative to that issue, it has to be considered by the Missouri board of curators. They will have the opportunity to review what we've accomplished, what we're doing and what we plan to do. Once they have an opportunity to review and comprehend what the Conference is doing I think they will agree that Missouri should be a member of the Big 12 Conference."

On a timetable for the grant of media rights:
"That will depend on the process that each school is required to follow on a matter such as this."

On if there is a commitment from the eight schools other than Missouri to agree to the grant of media rights:
"I have no reason not to believe that based on the athletic directors meetings of the last two days."

Regarding a Big 12 board of directors meeting:
"The Big 12 board of directors will have a meeting (in the next few days). Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton, the chair of the board, had appointed a sub-committee of four presidents (from Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and Iowa State) and they will report their recommendations on a number of matters. The athletic directors also have some recommendations to pass on to the board of directors. Those items from both groups will be of interest to the entire Conference, not just Missouri."

On if Missouri has an offer from the Southeastern Conference:
"I know of no offer from the SEC ... that doesn't mean there hasn't been one. I've been in contact with Chancellor Deaton on a number of matters because he's chair of the Big 12 board. ... I have not been contacted by anyone from the SEC."

On his sales pitch to Missouri:
"I had a very interesting conversation with Andy Coats, dean emeritus of the Oklahoma law school and lead attorney for Oklahoma and Georgia when those schools sued the NCAA in 1984 and won an anti-trust decision. He pointed out that if Oklahoma had gone to the Pac-12 that the school would play games on the West Coast but the big loser would have been the state of Oklahoma. He asked would the Pac-12 baseball tournament be played in Oklahoma City, would the Pac-12 basketball tournament be played in Oklahoma City. He said the citizens of Oklahoma would have lost out on a number of events. Missouri would lose the rivalry with Kansas. And where's the Big 12 basketball tournament? Kansas City. Where are Missouri's roots? The Missouri Valley Conference, that became the Big Six and the Big Eight. There's always a pretty girl who walks down the aisle and you'd like to take her to the prom but there's also that girl who is tried and true who is going to be there."

On if the Big 12 wants to expand to 10 or 12 teams:
"Right now there is no goal. Expansion was discussed by the athletic directors but there was no recommendation at all. Some want to stay at 9. There was no unanimity or a plurality. They're waiting for the expansion committee to analyze the situation and we'll discuss more specifics down the line. (The expansion committee is made up of Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton, Kansas State president Kirk Schultz, Oklahoma State president Burns Hargis, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds and Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione).

On the difficulties with football scheduling in 2012:
"I don't think the conference will be prompted into expansion just to satisfy scheduling for one year. It's not just about finding a school to play but it's finding one that fits into the schedule to play the Big 12 schools that Texas A&M would play. It's moving pieces of the puzzle to fit the right dates. It won't happen overnight."

If Missouri leaves, that will be four schools lost in the last 15 months:
"There would be a problem of perception. We can build the house again with different pieces. I can tell you that there is no shortage of interest from schools exploring membership in this conference. But we want Missouri to continue to be a member of the Big 12.:

How will Texas A&M's exit fee be handled:
"My understanding is the Conference by-laws will apply."

Has everything been cleared up regarding any legal challenges for Texas A&M's departure:
"I can't speak for the individual member schools."

You said recently that regarding expansion the sentiment was against adding another team from Texas:
"I'd say that has changed."

What about the perception that Texas dominates and runs the Big 12:
"I can understand that perception. When I was commissioner of the Big Eight Conference I was as interested in the eighth-place team as the first-place team."

Source: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205304112

kevpks
9/28/2011, 11:21 PM
If the Big XII adds one team, and it's from Texas, I'll be disappointed. If they add three and only one is from Texas, I'm fine with it. Also, I'm sure Mizzou is going to savor this relevance for just a little while longer before committing to the conference and turning their attention to Insight Bowl preparations.

3rdgensooner
9/28/2011, 11:30 PM
Also, I'm sure Mizzou is going to savor this relevance for just a little while longer before committing to the conference and turning their attention to Insight Bowl preparations.Well said

OULenexaman
9/29/2011, 08:46 AM
Mizery is such an attention whore....

CrimsonCommando
9/29/2011, 09:18 AM
Chuck Neinas hired Deloss Dodds in 1977. Do NOT underestimate Texas in their Big12 going forward.

OklahomaTuba
9/29/2011, 09:38 AM
Only texas would want to stay @ 9 teams.

I'd stay at 10 if we could have a yearly game with Nebraska again.

SoonerMom2
9/29/2011, 09:59 AM
Neinas also helped hire Joe C and Bob Stoops. The best news is that he knows Dodds and no way will he be able to sway Neinas the way he did Beebe. TX already got voted down on no expansion in TX. UT has had problems with Houston and TCU over the years on the football field.

delhalew
9/29/2011, 10:14 AM
Lots of folks have had trouble with TCU on the field. That doesn't mean they add anything to our conference.

badger
9/29/2011, 10:58 AM
I know that Arrowhead is freezing in December, but if we go to 12 or more, we should offer the city of Kansas City the Big 12 football championship in addition to the basketball tournament (and axe KC as host city for the basketball tourney if Mizzou leaves).

I know we had issued contracts for both the football championship and the basketball tourney already to Jerryworld and KC, but with the changing situation, we should be able to go back on both deals, considering the changing situation.

Besides... KC isn't that bad of a place for both and it would really be a compromise by Texas to the Big 12's northern, lesser schools.

EatLeadCommie
9/29/2011, 11:14 AM
We should alternate locations for the championship venues. Playing outside in KC in December sucks. Hoops locations should, IMO, alternate between KC, OKC, and Dallas.

badger
9/29/2011, 11:16 AM
We should alternate locations for the championship venues. Playing outside in KC in December sucks. Hoops locations should, IMO, alternate between KC, OKC, and Dallas.

Conferences should be give-and-take. It's time to GIVE in order for Mizzou to sign, then TAKE as soon as they're stuck with six years in the Big 12 like the rest of us :D

FtwTxSooner
9/29/2011, 11:54 AM
Until Neinas can prove otherwise with actions and actual changes, I consider him no different than the previous Commish as Dodds' b#%@$! I want to see results, not just some third hand accounts as to what may be going on in these discussions.

sooneron
9/29/2011, 12:30 PM
I know that Arrowhead is freezing in December, but if we go to 12 or more, we should offer the city of Kansas City the Big 12 football championship in addition to the basketball tournament (and axe KC as host city for the basketball tourney if Mizzou leaves).

I know we had issued contracts for both the football championship and the basketball tourney already to Jerryworld and KC, but with the changing situation, we should be able to go back on both deals, considering the changing situation.

Besides... KC isn't that bad of a place for both and it would really be a compromise by Texas to the Big 12's northern, lesser schools.

KC is much closer to KU than Miz. It's there not just for the tiggers...

BeaSooner
9/29/2011, 12:42 PM
Conferences should be give-and-take. It's time to GIVE in order for Mizzou to sign, then TAKE as soon as they're stuck with six years in the Big 12 like the rest of us :D

hahahahah. that made me chuckle

badger
9/29/2011, 12:46 PM
hahahahah. that made me chuckle

Welcome to SF.com, by the way.

SEE, PEOPLE?! Even n00bs are using vBookie, so you should too!!!!! :D

BeaSooner
9/29/2011, 12:49 PM
Welcome to SF.com, by the way.

SEE, PEOPLE?! Even n00bs are using vBookie, so you should too!!!!! :D

Shameless plug

badger
9/29/2011, 01:08 PM
Shameless plug

All plugs for vBookie are shameless. I can justify this by whining about how much time and effort goes into the vBookie effort... but meh, I won't do that here. :D

aurorasooner
9/29/2011, 07:57 PM
Until Neinas can prove otherwise with actions and actual changes, I consider him no different than the previous Commish as Dodds' b#%@$! I want to see results, not just some third hand accounts as to what may be going on in these discussions. FWIW
Neinas, Dodds among the advisers to new college sports consulting firm
Interim Big 12 Commissioner Chuck Neinas and Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds will be among the current college administrators serving as advisers in a new venture by a sports consulting firm designed to provide one-stop shopping for athletic programs looking for guidance.

JMI Sports LLC has started the JMI Sports College Division, which will provide universities assistance with everything from finding a new coach to finding a new conference, from dealing with NCAA issues to building a new stadiumhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fsport s%2Fcolleges%2Fneinas-dodds-among-the-advisers-to-new-college-sports-consulting-firm%2F2011%2F09%2F26%2FgIQAhRFH0K_story.html&ctbm=nws&ei=vg-FTsnEGc7XiALlnf29DA&usg=AFQjCNGvYZD03sMswYdHsDDxNPlmA7j4xA&cad=rja

http://www.jmisports.com/college/advisors/

BeaSooner
9/29/2011, 09:33 PM
All plugs for vBookie are shameless. I can justify this by whining about how much time and effort goes into the vBookie effort... but meh, I won't do that here. :D

Fair enough...