PDA

View Full Version : Victory formation question...

rekamrettuB
9/28/2011, 04:59 PM
I'm bored and it's Wednesday, the week prior to OU/Tex, and OU plays Ball State.

So...did anyone see Ok State's victory formation Saturday? They performed this from the shotgun. Are they saying Weeden can't take a snap from under center? I would like to know people's thoughts on this issue...not because it's OK State but because I've never seen that before.

badger
9/28/2011, 05:01 PM
I have tormented CowboyMWC (or whatever his exact name is, heh) about this many times already, but last season, Brandon Weeden fumbled in victory formation at home and nearly caused OSU to lose the game in the final minute.

If I had to guess, OSU is taking no chances and not changing anything up for any formation that Old Man Weeden is not used to, lest they fumble in victory formation again, heh.

SoonerofAlabama
9/28/2011, 05:01 PM
Seen it a lot of places. Haven't understood it either.

OUHOMER
9/28/2011, 05:02 PM
Might be used to kill a few more seconds. Bad snap could make things intersting,

badger
9/28/2011, 05:05 PM
I peeked at articles from last year's articles, and Weeden's thumb was apparently injured and the center was used to doing shotgun snaps, so all things led to near-fail, if not for Troy turning the ball over right away back to OSU, heh.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2011, 05:16 PM
I'm bored and it's Wednesday, the week prior to OU/Tex, and OU plays Ball State.

So...did anyone see Ok State's victory formation Saturday? They performed this from the shotgun. Are they saying Weeden can't take a snap from under center? I would like to know people's thoughts on this issue...not because it's OK State but because I've never seen that before.

Poke swagger !!

Curly Bill
9/28/2011, 05:30 PM
They're much more used to the shotgun snap so it makes sense that's what they'd do there.

goingoneight
9/28/2011, 06:07 PM
What I find funny is how many (all of them) Poke fans who were knocking Sam Bradford as a pro prospect QB because he took like 40% of his snaps from out of the shotgun formation. Now, they literally have a guy who takes EVERY. SINGLE. SNAP. out of the gun and he's supposedly a can't-miss NFL guy.

Mark it down, Weeden will be knocked for age and style of offense by the so-called know-it-alls come this off-season.

Jacie
9/28/2011, 06:11 PM
I thought the reason they went with that instead of a snap and knee down was because of field position and the time remaining, which would have given the ball back to A&M with a chance to kick a game-tying field goal. Remember what happened in the big game scene in All the Right Moves? The decision to give up a safety was the right one under the circumstances.

Sooner_Tuf
9/28/2011, 06:32 PM
I peeked at articles from last year's articles, and Weeden's thumb was apparently injured and the center was used to doing shotgun snaps, so all things led to near-fail, if not for Troy turning the ball over right away back to OSU, heh.

It was basically torn out by the root. During the bedlam game it was just just kinda hanging there by a thread. Pretty much the same thing for Blackmon but instead of a thumb it was a leg.

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 07:30 PM
I thought the reason they went with that instead of a snap and knee down was because of field position and the time remaining, which would have given the ball back to A&M with a chance to kick a game-tying field goal. Remember what happened in the big game scene in All the Right Moves? The decision to give up a safety was the right one under the circumstances.

That's what I thought too. But, I really didn't watch much of the game, so I didn't know if the discussion was about some other victory formation I didn't see.

By the way, All the Right Moves was a great movie...before Tom Cruise got all weird.

oudavid1
9/28/2011, 08:18 PM
How about those wussy f**ks taking a safety, i mean WTH!!

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 08:28 PM
How about those wussy f**ks taking a safety, i mean WTH!!

You're kidding, right?

Jacie
9/28/2011, 08:31 PM
You're kidding, right?

He is afterall, the resident expert on wussy f**ks, though since there is no course in the OU catalog on it one has to wonder how he came by it . . .

badger
9/28/2011, 09:11 PM
What I find funny is how many (all of them) Poke fans who were knocking Sam Bradford as a pro prospect QB because he took like 40% of his snaps from out of the shotgun formation. Now, they literally have a guy who takes EVERY. SINGLE. SNAP. out of the gun and he's supposedly a can't-miss NFL guy.

Mark it down, Weeden will be knocked for age and style of offense by the so-called know-it-alls come this off-season.

Like I mentioned on another thread, their football worth is based on OU. If you didn't see my post earier, I congratulated a Poke fan on their College Station victory and they said that it was meaningless without a victory over OU also. Wha wha WHAT?!

CowboyMRW
9/29/2011, 12:41 AM
Maybe the guy is looking at NC aspirations this year and is meaning that if we slip up then this game was meaningless as far as MNC implications are concerned. I don't know his line of thought.

For a lot of Pokes, especially the ones over 45, beating OU might literally make their season. Hell, this was probably true up until Boone came along and rescued our program and made it relevant. It seems to me that the older generations of Pokes are focused on 1 game a year, while the younger generations, especially college age, know that how good your season was is defined throughout the course of 12 games or whatever it is now.

Also it seems that college students get along quite well with each other at the Bedlam games, it's the "grownups" that take things too far. Maybe this is a sign of things to come in the near future, as far as "hatred for each other" goes.

Sooner_Tuf
9/29/2011, 03:48 AM
No way Weeden is delusional enough to be realistically thinking about a NC or the NFL. The pokes won't be in the NC game, and Weeden's baseball career will be considered stellar compared to any time he might spend in the NFL.

I don't like Weeden much as a QB but the guy isn't stupid. He knows how to sell himself and has done a great job of doing so in the past. As a guy nears thirty talking a great line doesn't go as far if your hat isn't hanging on some successes.

I wish him all the luck in the world except against OU. If he does make it into the NFL I'll be pulling for him. I won't miss any sleep either way though.

rekamrettuB
9/29/2011, 08:51 AM

They did it 3 times and then on 4th down Blackmon ran the ball 30+ yards backwards and out of the endzone. I'm talking about the 1st 3 - snap the ball and take a knee - plays. They did all 3 of those from the shotgun. Pretty odd if you ask me.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:19 PM
You're kidding, right?

He is afterall, the resident expert on wussy f**ks, though since there is no course in the OU catalog on it one has to wonder how he came by it . . .

you retreat 40 yards and 2 points because your scared to cover a punt? If you agree with that then I think less of you as a football mind.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 08:21 PM
you retreat 40 yards and 2 points because your scared to cover a punt? If you agree with that then I think less of you as a football mind.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Go back and watch the 2000 Orange Bowl. Let me know if you think less of Bob Stoops football mind.

Curly Bill
9/29/2011, 08:22 PM

You can't be serious?

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 08:24 PM
You can't be serious?

I am pretty sure he is. Clearly needs to learn more about football.

Curly Bill
9/29/2011, 08:28 PM
I am pretty sure he is. Clearly needs to learn more about football.

I agree with him often, and have even taken up for him on occasion, but yup..he's clearly wrong on this one.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:29 PM
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Go back and watch the 2000 Orange Bowl. Let me know if you think less of Bob Stoops football mind.

Your talking about a snap over the punters head? That was not planned. Bob Stoops did not design that play to give up a safety, the punter made that decision and it was either give FSU ball on own 2, or give them 2.

This was the last play of the game. You cant play defense/cover a punt for one more play?

Curly Bill
9/29/2011, 08:30 PM
Your talking about a snap over the punters head? That was not planned. Bob Stoops did not design that play to give up a safety, the punter made that decision and it was either give FSU ball on own 2, or give them 2.

This was the last play of the game. You cant play defense/cover a punt for one more play?

But why risk that, not to mention the possibility of having a punt blocked, when to take the safety GUARANTEES the win?

oudavid1
I agree with him often, and have even taken up for him on occasion, but yup..he's clearly wrong on this one.

I respect your opinion. But OSU was not on their own 2 yard line with 30 seconds left. They were at their own 40 with 4 seconds left. Just punt it out of bounds. You have a kicker that can kick it out of the stadium. His average hang time is about 3 seconds, I can promise that.

8timechamps

I'm not going to argue this with you, as you clearly don't have a clue.

Curly Bill
9/29/2011, 08:31 PM
I'm not going to argue this with, as you clearly don't have a clue.

Ditto

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:32 PM
But why risk that, not to mention the possibility of having a punt blocked, when to take the safety GUARANTEES the win?

You would also say this was a guaranteed touchdown...
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1520182/medium.jpg

That is the same player who had fumbled without being touched on the A&M 2 yard line and cost his team a touchdown who was running backwards with the ball in 1 hand in the same game.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:34 PM
I'm not going to argue this with, as you clearly don't have a clue.

Ditto

I dont get how we can be so far apart, and you two are acting like I banged your wives or something.

You both call me wrong and then walk away. I think you both dont think what you said was easily as defensible as you first thought.

Curly Bill
9/29/2011, 08:36 PM
I dont get how we can be so far apart, and you two are acting like I banged your wives or something.

You both call me wrong and then walk away. I think you both dont think what you said was easily as defensible as you first thought.

We can compare resumes if you'd like? I'm willing to bet my footing on this issue is a lot more solid than yours.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 08:38 PM

Okay, you sucked me in...but for future reference, I'm divorce, so you can bang my (ex) wife as much as you like...she probably needs it.

David,
Some times, it's better to give up the field position and seconds on the clock to GUARANTEE a one point win, on the road, against a top 10 team than to punt and hope you can cover it. Ask any coach, and they'll tell you it's better to retain control of the football than to play defense.

That's as much as I can muster with this argument. Either you know football and get it, or you don't.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:44 PM
We can compare resumes if you'd like? I'm willing to bet my footing on this issue is a lot more solid than yours.

That may be true. But why would that matter. I would be interested in learning about your football history just because I love learning about other people experiences.

Okay, you sucked me in...but for future reference, I'm divorce, so you can bang my (ex) wife as much as you like...she probably needs it.

David,
Some times, it's better to give up the field position and seconds on the clock to GUARANTEE a one point win, on the road, against a top 10 team than to punt and hope you can cover it. Ask any coach, and they'll tell you it's better to retain control of the football than to play defense.

That's as much as I can muster with this argument. Either you know football and get it, or you don't.

d8FkMKZq9OM

9 seconds left. For a national championship. They punted.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Nick_Saban_2009_retreat.jpg

So I guess this guy dosnt get it.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 08:49 PM
This is why I didn't want to argue with you.

9 seconds is MUCH different than 4 seconds. I've coached a lot more football than you have, and I assure you I would have done the exact same thing Gundy did. As would 99.9% of football coaches in American.

Like I said, if you don't get it, then you don't get it.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 08:50 PM
Not to mention the game you used as your example was not a 3 point game.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:53 PM
This is why I didn't want to argue with you.

9 seconds is MUCH different than 4 seconds. I've coached a lot more football than you have, and I assure you I would have done the exact same thing Gundy did. As would 99.9% of football coaches in American.

Like I said, if you don't get it, then you don't get it.

I never said you were a bad coach. Im saying a would think less of your football mind if you thought that was the best move. And your right, 9 seconds is more, but what is your point? That punt wasted 9 seconds and didnt get blocked. Little more pressure on LSU than OSU as well. 99.9%? So you have more examples of this happening?

Not to mention the game you used as your example was not a 3 point game.

Tell me about it.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 08:57 PM
I never said you were a bad coach. Im saying a would think less of your football mind if you thought that was the best move. And your right, 9 seconds is more, but what is your point? That punt wasted 9 seconds and didnt get blocked. Little more pressure on LSU than OSU as well. 99.9%? So you have more examples of this happening?

Ignorance is bliss.

Never. Should. Have. Even. Tried.

PrideTrombone
9/29/2011, 09:00 PM
You realize that we took an intentional safety during the game in WHICH WE WON A FREAKING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, right? Idiot.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 09:00 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

Never. Should. Have. Even. Tried.

I would have left you alone if you didnt make it personal.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 09:02 PM
I would have left you alone if you didnt make it personal.

WTF are you talking about? Take a break from the computer dude.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 09:07 PM
WTF are you talking about? Take a break from the computer dude.

Ill show you how you make things personal for no reason.

I'm not going to argue this with you, as you clearly don't have a clue.

You realize that we took an intentional safety during the game in WHICH WE WON A FREAKING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, right? Idiot.

What exactly do you think im arguing against?

Soonerus
9/29/2011, 09:09 PM
What is wrong with you guys ??? I would have never done anything like this....

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 09:16 PM
Ill show you how you make things personal for no reason.

David, I've been here for a loooooong time, and I say a lot of things on these boards, but I assure you, it's never personal. Don't be so sensitive. Besides, this is all about a freakin' OSU game!

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 09:17 PM
David, I've been here for a loooooong time, and I say a lot of things on these boards, but I assure you, it's never personal. Don't be so sensitive. Besides, this is all about a freakin' OSU game!

Well I just dont want to make it about me. Thats all. Because thats a waste of time. We all know Im a dbag, but I cant quit talkin ball. And i see your point.

VA Sooner
9/29/2011, 09:26 PM
Tougher and tougher for "Old Man Weeden" to get under center to take a snap. Hard to stand back up again sometimes with the joints aching so much.

CowboyMRW
9/29/2011, 10:18 PM
I think that what we did was the safest thing to do at that moment.

On one of your posts it was mentioned that there were 9 seconds left, so they really had no choice but to punt. You can't really run around for 9 seconds and not get tackled.

If there would've been more than 5 seconds on the clock I bet that we would've punted in that situation

dennis580
9/30/2011, 06:55 AM

You do what gives you the best chance to win the game. Its not about style points its about winning. I believe OSU made the right choice in that situation, and if OU was in a the excate same situation I think we would do the same thing.

LesNessman
9/30/2011, 11:59 AM
As I recall, the snap unintentionally went over the punters head, and he quickly kicked it out of the endzone for a safety, but it was not intentional, or planned that way.

badger
9/30/2011, 12:17 PM
You can't really run around for 9 seconds and not get tackled.

Gundy couldn't even dance for 9 seconds in postgame [hairGel]

JamesBob02
9/30/2011, 05:28 PM
I haven't posted here in years, but I just had to comment. It's not saying anything that hasn't been said but I suppose just throwing in my vote.

My blood's as crimson as they come, but Gundy made a smart move by retaining control of the ball through the final seconds. Punting it away is simply an unnecessary risk. What if they'd blocked the punt? What if the punter accidentally kept it in bounds and it was returned for a touchdown? These are low probability, of course, but they are ZERO probability if you don't punt. There is of course the risk of fumbling the snap, but that could also happen in a punt play so that's a wash.

I absolutely guarantee you that if Bob were in the same situation, he would run out the last 4 seconds also. I don't know if it would involve running out the back of the endzone - which may not have been necessary - but he WOULD NOT have punted it. Bob will be around a long time, so one of these days you'll get a chance to see for yourself.

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 05:55 PM
I haven't posted here in years, but I just had to comment. It's not saying anything that hasn't been said but I suppose just throwing in my vote.

My blood's as crimson as they come, but Gundy made a smart move by retaining control of the ball through the final seconds. Punting it away is simply an unnecessary risk. What if they'd blocked the punt? What if the punter accidentally kept it in bounds and it was returned for a touchdown? These are low probability, of course, but they are ZERO probability if you don't punt. There is of course the risk of fumbling the snap, but that could also happen in a punt play so that's a wash.

I absolutely guarantee you that if Bob were in the same situation, he would run out the last 4 seconds also. I don't know if it would involve running out the back of the endzone - which may not have been necessary - but he WOULD NOT have punted it. Bob will be around a long time, so one of these days you'll get a chance to see for yourself.

Well said.

OUNC06
9/30/2011, 08:33 PM

Bob did do this against KState in 2001. We were going to have punt from our own end zone. We took a safety instead. I think there was still one second left, and we kicked off from the 20. We won the game by 1 point.

rekamrettuB
10/1/2011, 08:31 AM
Stay on point guys...this isn't about the safety (right decision w/out a doubt). This is about a college QB (or center) that can't perform an under the center snap.

King Barry's Back
10/1/2011, 09:37 AM
Maybe the guy is looking at NC aspirations this year and is meaning that if we slip up then this game was meaningless as far as MNC implications are concerned. I don't know his line of thought.

For a lot of Pokes, especially the ones over 45, beating OU might literally make their season. Hell, this was probably true up until Boone came along and rescued our program and made it relevant. It seems to me that the older generations of Pokes are focused on 1 game a year, while the younger generations, especially college age, know that how good your season was is defined throughout the course of 12 games or whatever it is now.

Also it seems that college students get along quite well with each other at the Bedlam games, it's the "grownups" that take things too far. Maybe this is a sign of things to come in the near future, as far as "hatred for each other" goes.

I've rarely seen so much misleading and inaccurate information in one place in my life.

oudavid1
10/2/2011, 02:23 AM
You do what gives you the best chance to win the game. Its not about style points its about winning. I believe OSU made the right choice in that situation, and if OU was in a the excate same situation I think we would do the same thing.

I guess for me its like a coaching ego thing. I just dont see Stoops ever intentionally called a safety and you never see it really in football. Especially from more than 20 yards out. I mean I have my opinion, but its almost political in the sense that no one is truly wrong (even OSU).