PDA

View Full Version : What Urban Legends Have You Believed?

lexsooner
9/28/2011, 09:34 AM
I fell for the one about the girl who wanted a great tan for her prom so she had a number of tanning sessions and it fried her inner organs and she died as result. This one makes no sense and I wish I had given it more thought. Of course I also believed Rod Stewart had gallons of semen pumped out of his stomach. I have since wised up and I refuse to believe Matthew McCoughangay was found dancing naked with another guy and playing the bongos. ;)

Pricetag
9/28/2011, 09:46 AM
Sometime back in '95, I called my brother in Dallas to warn him that gangs were having inititations by driving around at night with their lights off and chasing down and murdering anyone who flashed their lights at them.

Boomer.....
9/28/2011, 09:58 AM
I thought it was Alanis Morissette who had to get her stomach pumped?

Partial Qualifier
9/28/2011, 10:14 AM
Sometime back in '95, I called my brother in Dallas to warn him that gangs were having inititations by driving around at night with their lights off and chasing down and murdering anyone who flashed their lights at them.

I remember that! Same timeframe too.

Did we ever figure out if the Mathis Bros. dude really did have to have a rat & broken glass extracted from his bunghole? I think everyone in the metro "personally knows a nurse or doctor who was in the operating room" for that supposed fiasco

JohnnyMack
9/28/2011, 10:16 AM
I believed :dean: when he told me he needed help unlocking the bathroom door in the RV at the tailgate.

:mad:

Boomer.....
9/28/2011, 10:20 AM
I remember that! Same timeframe too.

Did we ever figure out if the Mathis Bros. dude really did have to have a rat & broken glass extracted from his bunghole? I think everyone in the metro "personally knows a nurse or doctor who was in the operating room" for that supposed fiasco

It was a gerbil. :D

saucysoonergal
9/28/2011, 10:22 AM
Well, one time I actually woke up in a hotel bathtub covered in ice and missing a kidney, does that count?

Breadburner
9/28/2011, 10:29 AM
It was a Gerbil and it was not pieces of broken glass it was pieces of broken habitrail.........

OhU1
9/28/2011, 10:34 AM
I fell for the one about the girl who wanted a great tan for her prom so she had a number of tanning sessions and it fried her inner organs and she died as result. This one makes no sense and I wish I had given it more thought. Of course I also believed Rod Stewart had gallons of semen pumped out of his stomach. I have since wised up and I refuse to believe Matthew McCoughangay was found dancing naked with another guy and playing the bongos. ;)

LOL at the tanning myth. I remember laughing at that one and being told in a very indignant "that was uncalled for" voice that the story was "medically documented!"

I believed the Mathis Brother's gerbil story (and a gay guy at work even embellished the story with the further "fact" that a local news guy named Dean Slocum was the other gerbil stuffer).

When I was a kid I probably believed most urban legends. What I find a little surprising is the number of people who accept these as adults.

A great deal of people seem eager to be credulous. As if it is "more fun" to be gullible than to employ critical, skeptical, and analytical thinking skills. I typically find people to be "let down" when you fill them in on the details that the story is not true. More stubborn folk will get defensive and still insist the story is true despite a lack of any credible evidence.

badger
9/28/2011, 10:36 AM
Adults used to tell us kids that if we crossed our eyes or made a stupid face for too long that it would stay that way forever. Amazing how it deterred some of us and made others just want to do it more :D

SoonerLaw09
9/28/2011, 10:36 AM
I believed the one about girls flashing their hooters on Splash Mountain at Disneyland...then I found out it was true!

(also the one about there being a secret club in New Orleans Square which is the only place they serve booze there. That's also true.)

lexsooner
9/28/2011, 10:42 AM
I thought it was Alanis Morissette who had to get her stomach pumped?

That might be the more modern version of that myth. Back in school in the 70s and 80s, it was Rod the Wad. Now I have heard from many sources that Alanis is an unfriendly beatch in real life, which I do not believe is a mere urban legend.

lexsooner
9/28/2011, 10:43 AM
Well, one time I actually woke up in a hotel bathtub covered in ice and missing a kidney, does that count?

Yes, and BTW, your missing kidney is function very well, thank you!

lexsooner
9/28/2011, 10:46 AM

The borderline retarded head security guy at work put out an alert over e-mail warning about the light flashing and also about bitter gay people putting AIDS infected needles on movie theatre seats. And this guy was supposed to protect us?

badger
9/28/2011, 10:48 AM
One of the funniest hoax/urban legends that came out was pedobear. Our local police department here in Tulsa (God bless TPD!) actually sent a release to all of the local media saying that pedobear was a symbol of pedophilia.

Just read The Lost Ogle's take here. (http://www.thelostogle.com/2010/09/21/tulsa-tuesday-attack-of-the-pedobear/) :D

lexsooner
9/28/2011, 10:50 AM
One of the funniest hoax/urban legends that came out was pedobear. Our local police department here in Tulsa (God bless TPD!) actually sent a release to all of the local media saying that pedobear was a symbol of pedophilia.

Just read The Lost Ogle's take here. (http://www.thelostogle.com/2010/09/21/tulsa-tuesday-attack-of-the-pedobear/) :D

That is beyond absurd. However, the circled k on drink and food containers does mean it is endorsed by the KKK.

SoonerTerry
9/28/2011, 11:20 AM
Manbearpig

its real
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1444/ibelieveinmanbearpig.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/ibelieveinmanbearpig.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Not mine, found it here
http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/frakenstiens-monster-vs-manbearpig/577154/

soonerboomer93
9/28/2011, 11:24 AM
Manbearpig

its real

We know, we just refer to him as Mongo though

OhU1
9/28/2011, 11:24 AM
We had a conference speaker who told a tale about a disabled retarded boy who came to bat with 2 outs in the final inning with his team down by 3 and the bases loaded. The punch line was that the kids on the other team allowed the boy to score and his team to win the game. They carried him off the field like Rudy, everyone cried, and no one will ever forget that day!

The speaker not only told the story as if it actually happened, but he embellished the story with details and even made himself the hero of the story because it was he who had the idea. I looked around the room as this yarn was being delivered and most of the women in the audience were crying. After the class they gushed about what a great guy the speaker was and how moved they were by the story. No one questioned whether the story was fake.

It would have been cool to have busted this motivational speaker con man by calling out his story as a lie, but of course one can't do that in a work situation. :)

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2011, 11:26 AM
We had a conference speaker who told a tale about a disabled retarded boy who came to bat with 2 outs in the final inning with his team down by 3 and the bases loaded. The punch line was that the kids on the other team allowed the boy to score and his team to win the game. They carried him off the field like Rudy, everyone cried, and no one will ever forget that day!

The speaker not only told the story as if it actually happened, but he embellished the story with details and even made himself the hero of the story because it was he who had the idea. I looked around the room as this yarn was being delivered and most of the women in the audience were crying. After the class they gushed about what a great guy the speaker was and how moved they were by the story. No one questioned whether the story was fake.

It would have been cool to have busted this motivational speaker con man by calling out his story as a lie, but of course one can't do that in a work situation. :)

I really wish you would have because, you see, I was that disabled retarded boy.

cleller
9/28/2011, 11:29 AM
The two kids named Orangejello and Lemonjello.

What really bugs me is the old folks falling for all the "gang initiation" tales.

saucysoonergal
9/28/2011, 11:29 AM
The two kids named Orangejello and Lemonjello.

That one is true! ;)

http://suburbanbanshee.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/lemonjelo-is-a-real-name/

OUDoc
9/28/2011, 11:30 AM
I'll be back for the other one. Is 7pm for drinks okay?

saucysoonergal
9/28/2011, 11:33 AM
I'll be back for the other one. Is 7pm for drinks okay?

Are you buying? Just to warn you, I have built up my resistance to Roofies.

Breadburner
9/28/2011, 11:39 AM
I'll be back for the other one. Is 7pm for drinks okay?Sicem already has that slot.....

saucysoonergal
9/28/2011, 11:41 AM
No he doesn't

lexsooner
9/28/2011, 11:51 AM

Aw, come on, OhU1, I know you cried too.

lexsooner
9/28/2011, 11:59 AM
I really wish you would have because, you see, I was that disabled retarded boy.

I can beat that. I saved young Winston Churchill from drowning and Lord Randolph paid for my OU education.

saucysoonergal
9/28/2011, 12:04 PM
I can beat that. I saved young Winston Churchill from drowning and Lord Randolph paid for my OU education.

Dang you are older than OldSooner! :)

OhU1
9/28/2011, 12:11 PM
A young girl named Lisa was left alone on several accounts as her parents worked late. Her parents bought her a dog to keep her company. One night Lisa was awoken by a constant dripping sound. She got up and went to the kitchen to turn off the tap properly. As she was getting back into the bed she stuck her hand under the bed and the dog licked it. The dripping sound continued, so she went to the bathroom and turned off the tap properly in there, too. She went back to her bedroom and stuck her hand under the bed, and the dog licked it again. But the dripping continued, so she went outside and turned off the taps out there. She came back to bed, stuck her hand under it, and the dog licked it again. The dripping continued, drip, drip, drip. This time she listened and located the source of the dripping — it was coming from her cupboard. She opened the cupboard door, and there was her dog hanging upside down with its neck cut, and written on the window on the inside of the cupboard was, "HUMANS CAN LICK TOO!!!"

MR2-Sooner86
9/28/2011, 12:42 PM
Just to warn you, I have built up my resistance to Roofies.

So that's what went wrong...

OULenexaman
9/28/2011, 12:45 PM
Dang you are older than OldSooner! :) Now there's a guy who can write some urban legends....in fact OLDSOONER is an urban legend.

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 01:18 PM
I heard that if I bought this girl a drink, then took her back to her hotel room in Vegas, that she would strip down and get into a bathtub full of ice.

It worked, but then I didn't know what to do...so I knocked her out and ran away. Still don't know what ever happened to her.

I did take her Kidney, just to keep on my keychain.

Jacie
9/28/2011, 06:44 PM
Well, there was this story about a girl fed some Spanish Fly and a Volkswagon Beetle . . .

lexsooner
9/28/2011, 06:50 PM
A young girl named Lisa was left alone on several accounts as her parents worked late. Her parents bought her a dog to keep her company. One night Lisa was awoken by a constant dripping sound. She got up and went to the kitchen to turn off the tap properly. As she was getting back into the bed she stuck her hand under the bed and the dog licked it. The dripping sound continued, so she went to the bathroom and turned off the tap properly in there, too. She went back to her bedroom and stuck her hand under the bed, and the dog licked it again. But the dripping continued, so she went outside and turned off the taps out there. She came back to bed, stuck her hand under it, and the dog licked it again. The dripping continued, drip, drip, drip. This time she listened and located the source of the dripping — it was coming from her cupboard. She opened the cupboard door, and there was her dog hanging upside down with its neck cut, and written on the window on the inside of the cupboard was, "HUMANS CAN LICK TOO!!!"

OK, so where is the part about the hook hanging from a door handle?

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 07:25 PM
Well, there was this story about a girl fed some Spanish Fly and a Volkswagon Beetle . . .

Geez, how the hell did she eat a Volkswagon Bettle?! :P

OhU1
9/28/2011, 07:43 PM
OK, so where is the part about the hook hanging from a door handle?

The classic "tales of the hook" are the campfire urban legends that I really enjoy. I remember my older cousin telling us "maniac stories" when I was 9 or 10 years old when we were camping out. Of course my cousin told the stories as if they were real and happened locally. I was sure that I would wake up during the night and find everyone slashed to death.

I love the spooky and weird urban legends. The "Mexican Pet" is another one, not really that scary, but kind of creepy anyway. Lots of these legends have a racist angle: the doberman found choking to death on three black fingers (a burglar he had de-fingered). The Eddie Murphy or Reggie Jackson elevator story: a group of white, female tourists visiting New York City were joined in an elevator by a black man with a large dog in tow. As the elevator doors closed, the man firmly commanded his dog to "Sit," at which point the timorous ladies - assuming they were being mugged - sat.

thecynic
9/28/2011, 07:46 PM
all of them

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/30/2011, 04:16 AM
You can tell a lot by the space between the tip of a man's pinkie and the tip of a man's thumb.

lexsooner
9/30/2011, 07:43 AM
I was skeptical about the story of the love triangle gone bad between two Eastern Kentucky country boys and a pit bull, but then the story-teller sent me the news clipping, so it was not mere urban legend.

8timechamps
9/30/2011, 01:40 PM
lex,
Have you ever been to Snopes (www.snopes.com)? It's interesting to read about what is real and what isn't.

lexsooner
9/30/2011, 01:50 PM
lex,
Have you ever been to Snopes (www.snopes.com)? It's interesting to read about what is real and what isn't.

Yes, that is actually a pretty accurate source for separating truth from bs. There are some less common stories I always thought were true which turn out to be untrue urban legends according to Snopes.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/30/2011, 04:03 PM
If you don't want to get pregnant, jump up and down afterwards.

OhU1
9/30/2011, 04:09 PM
A lady pulled up at noon to the drive-in window at KFC and ordered a Kentucky Fried Chicken sandwich. She told them to "hold the mayo." She then took the sandwich and took a big bite into it. She said, "oh shoot, they put mayo on it." After her first bite she left the sandwich in her car and went back to work. She got deathly sick. They rushed her to the hospital, found the sandwich in her car and found out the chicken had a tumor inside it. She was actually eating a pus squirting tumor!

rekamrettuB
9/30/2011, 04:31 PM
Bloody Mary...Bloody Mary...Bloody...

lexsooner
9/30/2011, 09:11 PM
A lady pulled up at noon to the drive-in window at KFC and ordered a Kentucky Fried Chicken sandwich. She told them to "hold the mayo." She then took the sandwich and took a big bite into it. She said, "oh shoot, they put mayo on it." After her first bite she left the sandwich in her car and went back to work. She got deathly sick. They rushed her to the hospital, found the sandwich in her car and found out the chicken had a tumor inside it. She was actually eating a pus squirting tumor!

That story is actually true. Have you ever eaten at KFC?

OhU1
10/1/2011, 10:21 AM
That story is actually true. Have you ever eaten at KFC?

Yeah, I don't know what the big deal was. Pus squirting tumors are an acquired taste I suppose.