PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Big XII AD's Meeting Today

SicEmBaylor
9/27/2011, 08:15 PM
I haven't seen this posted. I'm not sure if JoeC has made any public comments, but our AD talked a little bit about what went on at the meeting today. He seemed to indicate that Mizzou will stay put and even hinted somewhat that the Big XII could go to 16 teams. I don't think that's likely but who knows...

Here's a podcast link:
http://www.1660espn.com/includes/news_items/6/1751/092711_ianmccaw1.mp3
http://www.1660espn.com/includes/new...ianmccaw21.mp3
http://www.1660espn.com/includes/new...ianmccaw22.mp3

I think the conference expansion stuff is mostly on part1 but I haven't listened to the entire thing yet.

NormanPride
9/28/2011, 09:56 AM
Who knows with Mizzou. They're the key now, and if they go then the conference falls apart.

OSU better be lobbying for them to stay real hard, because if they do then OU has to look out for itself first and foremost.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2011, 10:23 AM
hmmm

The Big 12 athletic directors were meeting Tuesday (and today) in Dallas, following a national major college athletic directors meeting that ended at noon. In attendance, of course, was WVU's Oliver Luck. How convenient.
http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/JackBogaczyk/201109273087

Widescreen
9/28/2011, 10:33 AM
Who knows with Mizzou. They're the key now, and if they go then the conference falls apart.

I used to believe that way too. This conference won't die as long as Texas doesn't want it to.

FtwTxSooner
9/28/2011, 10:44 AM
Texas will be very happy to stay put with their LHN even if they surround themselves with CUSA, Mountain West, or WAC teams.

badger
9/28/2011, 10:53 AM
This conference won't die as long as Texas doesn't want it to.

Then it will go on without us. OU only has to put up with so much crap before it walks. OSU, on the other hand... they don't have many options on their own. We do.

ouflak
9/28/2011, 11:23 AM
Then it will go on without us. OU only has to put up with so much crap before it walks. OSU, on the other hand... they don't have many options on their own. We do.

I just don't know that Boren has the courage to make that kind of hard-but-necessary decision. I feel his hands would literally be shaking as he tried fumble around with the phone and give the SEC or B1G commissioner a call.

Now granted, the subsequent phone call to OSU would really suck... "There's no easy way to put this so I'll just come out with it. We're going without you. <listens to gasps and wailing> I'm sorry. We did everything we could and it just isn't working out. <listens to shock and denial> I know it's hard. Look, I've got to go now. We'll be in touch ok? <listens to last-minute pleading tainted with sad acceptance> Yeah ofcourse we'll put in a good word for your no matter where you try to go. Alright then so take care. Bye."

No way I wouldn't feel bad about having to have that conversation.

OULenexaman
9/28/2011, 12:22 PM
so basically not a damn thing happened in this meeting today....some coffee was drank.....jokes exchanged......that's about it.

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 01:11 PM

Dude, Boren isn't even playing that anymore. He's submitted himself to Texas again, and is begging for their crap for six more years.

He has a parachute to the SEC, but he won't take it. The Big 12 plane will crash with us on board, watching Texas float harmlessly to the ground with the last parachute.

Boren has made chumps of us.

Look, they're letting Iowa State run around and be the mouthpiece. DeLoss doesn't even say anything because he knows whatever happens in the meetings won't apply to Texas anyway.

As nice a pair a fellas as they are, Boren and Castiglione lack vision and testicles.

soonerbub
9/28/2011, 01:25 PM
If OU announced a separation from osux the Legislature would freeze all appropriations to the University the next day. It is a non-starter & Boren knows it.

If mizzou leaves I think Boren should retire at the end of the school year.

badger
9/28/2011, 01:27 PM
Boren and Castiglione lack vision

Actually, I kind of like the direction the university has headed the past decade under their leadership and vision, aside from tuition and ticket prices skyrocketing :D

I love to see all of the expansion of programs and facilities (both academic and athletic) on campus.

So what if we're not Pac or SEC-bound. There's more to being a Sooner than being in a specific conference.

Neath a Western Sky
9/28/2011, 01:27 PM
Dude, Boren isn't even playing that anymore. He's submitted himself to Texas again, and is begging for their crap for six more years.

He has a parachute to the SEC, but he won't take it. The Big 12 plane will crash with us on board, watching Texas float harmlessly to the ground with the last parachute.

Boren has made chumps of us.

Look, they're letting Iowa State run around and be the mouthpiece. DeLoss doesn't even say anything because he knows whatever happens in the meetings won't apply to Texas anyway.

As nice a pair a fellas as they are, Boren and Castiglione lack vision and testicles.

Brilliantly said, Wall! The short version is we are Texas's biotsch. Prove me wrong, Boren.

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 01:41 PM
Actually, I kind of like the direction the university has headed the past decade under their leadership and vision, aside from tuition and ticket prices skyrocketing :D

I love to see all of the expansion of programs and facilities (both academic and athletic) on campus.

So what if we're not Pac or SEC-bound. There's more to being a Sooner than being in a specific conference.

A&M has new facilities and buildings, too. Kyle Field goes 90,000+ now. They've got a presidential library. Etc., etc., etc. And, they've pulled away from Texas.

The bottom line remains the same - we've got the opportunity to leave. Our leadership just won't do it. Texas A&M's did. Missouri's might. And, again...that would be the most disappointing...Mizzou going to a better conference and us being stuck in Southwest Conference II.

OULenexaman
9/28/2011, 01:44 PM
No one from Texas is saying anything after any meetings....silent.....the fockers are up to something.

SoonerMom2
9/28/2011, 02:03 PM
Texas A&M could leave because the legislature only meets every two years and are not in sessions until January 2013 unless the Governor calls them back into session. Why do you think A&M didn't leave last summer -- the legislature would have clipped their wings.

OK, which is a much smaller state, meets every year and they would freeze funds for OU so fast your head would swim. I find it reprehensible that they would do that but OSU controls the legislature because of all the rural districts and some in Tulsa. It is disgusting but that's a fact.

When are some of you going to quit whining about staying in the Big 12. None of us know what went on behind the scenes but some of you are so quick to blame Boren I have to wonder if you are even OU fans. I cannot say what else I would like to say on here but need to go to another forum. Suffice it say that some of your will never give him any credit just because he is a member of the opposition party and cannot separate what is good for OU from that. I know I have been in meetings where I may be his only supporter in the meeting surrounded by OSU people which made me want to gag. I solved that as I work out of state not in the state any more!

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 02:05 PM
I've resigned to the fact that we are tied to Texas. If, there is truth in the story that the PAC 12 said no to us because they didn't want us without Texas, and wouldn't take Texas without changes in the LHN, then it sure feels like we're stuck with them.

As for Mizzou, there doesn't seem to be any change on that front. Slive (SEC commissioner) said that the SEC is not looking at any schools for expansion right now, then said that "no universities have submitted an application for membership". Just sounds like Mizzou hasn't fully decided if they are staying or not.

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2011, 02:07 PM
A&M has new facilities and buildings, too. Kyle Field goes 90,000+ now. They've got a presidential library. Etc., etc., etc. And, they've pulled away from Texas.

The bottom line remains the same - we've got the opportunity to leave. Our leadership just won't do it. Texas A&M's did. Missouri's might. And, again...that would be the most disappointing...Mizzou going to a better conference and us being stuck in Southwest Conference II.

Clearly OU has dropped the ball in not getting President elected from the state so that OU can build a library.

sooneredaco
9/28/2011, 02:13 PM
Who cars what A&M did. OU be fine. We will continue collecting all of the hardware from all of our conference championships, we will continue to play in and win BCS bowls, we will continue to compete for and win National Championships. I'll leave the conference discussions with people who are paid a lot more than I am to make the necessary decisions

saucysoonergal
9/28/2011, 02:13 PM
Clearly OU has dropped the ball in not getting President elected from the state so that OU can build a library.

Will Rogers turned them down.

badger
9/28/2011, 02:14 PM

Yeah... stupid Texas is about to have yet another president. I'd like to think that they'll eventually run out of universities to put presidential libraries in, but... yeah, probably not.

yankee
9/28/2011, 02:20 PM
The question is not whether OU WANTS to walk, it's WHERE does it walk to? Pac-12 doesn't want us. B1G doesn't want us. The SEC is our only realistic/somewhat feasible option and I'm not sure Boren wants OU to be associated with that group of cheaters. Some of you need to lay off the Boren hate train. What he's done for this university during his tenure is nothing short of remarkable.

badger
9/28/2011, 02:22 PM
Some of you need to lay off the Boren hate train. What he's done for this university during his tenure is nothing short of remarkable.

I will drink* to that! :D

*Water, but it's filtered!

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 02:28 PM
I'm an OU football fan. Boren is temporary. OU football was here long before him, and it will be here long after him. I don't have to be a fan of Boren to be a fan of the Sooners. I've haven't been a fan of all OU presidents in the past.

But, unlike the others, Boren went down a long path, making it sound like we were gone and sticking it to Texas. Then, the Pac-12 presidents kicked him in his fat *ss, and he came back saying that he planned the *ss-kicking all along!

I'd have more respect for the man if he and Castiglione hadn't pumped Stoops' head so full of "We're Gone" crap that he popped off about not having a problem with leaving the OU-Texas game in the dust.

No way Bob Stoops in a million years says something like that unless those two clowns told him it was a done deal. The truth is, they never knew what the hell was going on, and they put Bob in a bad position.

Bob's a company man and tows the company line. He does his job and believes - to a fault, apparently - that those above him are telling him the truth and doing theirs. Bob's blue collar honest and Boren is white collar full of crap.

And, Castiglione is a dish rag when you compare him to DeLoss Dodds, Tom Osborn, Bill Bryne...and possibly Mike Alden. They can all speak for their school when this stuff is happening. But, not Joe. What the hell is he doing?

Screw Boren. OU football - Yes. David Boren getting his *ss kicked by a basketball conference, and cowering from the premier football conference - No.

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 02:38 PM
The question is not whether OU WANTS to walk, it's WHERE does it walk to? Pac-12 doesn't want us. B1G doesn't want us. The SEC is our only realistic/somewhat feasible option and I'm not sure Boren wants OU to be associated with that group of cheaters. Some of you need to lay off the Boren hate train. What he's done for this university during his tenure is nothing short of remarkable.

Here's a list of NCAA violations by conference, not including whatever comes up in 2011...like Oregon's recruiting scandal:

Dirtiest Conferences:
1. Big 12: 39 football related major violations

2. SEC: 32 football related major violations

3. Pac-10: 26 football related major violations

4. Big 10: 19 football related major violations

5. ACC: 17 football related major violations

Note: Big East was next with 9.

No matter where we go, we'd be in a less dirty conference. Only six violations separate the Pac-12 and SEC...although Oregon is doing their best to rectify that...and with Dennis Erickson at Arizona State, shenanigans are always right around the corner.

Save the "SEC is the dirtiest" for another day. It's as irrelevant as the bogus academic argument.

The fact is, Boren has some sort of personal issue with the SEC that will keep us in a crappy conference that is fast becoming crappier.

sooneredaco
9/28/2011, 02:44 PM
What's the Big 12-2-1 out of conference record this year? How many times has this conference competed in National Championships? So Wall you're going to have to enlighten me on why you say the Big 12-2-1 is a crappy conference

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 02:58 PM
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/02/07/ncaa_punishes_almost_half_of_members_of_football_b owl_subdivision_for_major_rules_violations

From 2001-2010, Major Violations:

Pac-10: 6 of 10 schools busted = 60%
SEC: 7 of 12 schools busted = 58%
Big 12: 7 of 12 schools busted = 58%

Quit your "SEC is cheaters" baloney. Over the past 10 seasons, Pac-10 was the leader in NCAA Major Violations per capita.

So, just be honest and say you don't want to compete in a better football conference.

There's not a dime's worth of difference in the honesty of the Pac-12, SEC, and Big 12. If you think there is, you're high on David Boren's bullsh*t.

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 03:02 PM
What's the Big 12-2-1 out of conference record this year? How many times has this conference competed in National Championships? So Wall you're going to have to enlighten me on why you say the Big 12-2-1 is a crappy conference

How many have the SEC schools competed in and won? How many times has a two-loss Big 12 team gotten into the national title game because of strength of schedule? None. SEC - One.

And, our strength of schedule is weaker with every good school that leaves. People may scoff at Texas A&M and Nebraska leaving, but they're both winning again and give us much more than any SMU, Houston, BYU, or Air Force would.

Get real.

ouflak
9/28/2011, 03:07 PM
If OU announced a separation from osux the Legislature would freeze all appropriations to the University the next day. It is a non-starter & Boren knows it.

We already are separate from OSU. They are a separate university with their own regents and everything.

And it is absolutely insane to think that Oklahoma would cut off any appropriations to its flagship university, effectively embarrasing themselves in front of the entire nation, perhaps even the world to some extent, just because a football team decides to go play in another athletic conference. The only circumstance I can imagine where they would take this extreme action is if the entire university leadership, along with most of the student body, decided to overthrow the government of the United States violently.

And even then, I think there would some kind of negotiations to see things couldn't be worked out somehow.

badger
9/28/2011, 03:09 PM
I think it was said that the SEC was a self-monitoring group that kept each other in check by reigning in everyone who was cheating too much, while allowed each other to cheat a little.

What apparently ruined this "perfect" system was Fat Phil Fulmer, who decided to rat Bama out so that the NCAA would let him off for Tennessee's own issues.

No telling if this still SEC system still goes on in Fulmer's absence, but my guess is that it does.

So anyway, I think the SEC cheating numbers are a bit... under-reported, let's say.

ouflak
9/28/2011, 03:12 PM
OK, which is a much smaller state, meets every year and they would freeze funds for OU so fast your head would swim. I find it reprehensible that they would do that but OSU controls the legislature because of all the rural districts and some in Tulsa. It is disgusting but that's a fact.

And it is absolutely insane to think that Oklahoma would cut off any appropriations to its flagship university, effectively embarrasing themselves in front of the entire nation, perhaps even the world to some extent, just because a football team decides to go play in another athletic conference. The only circumstance I can imagine where they would take this extreme action is if the entire university leadership, along with most of the student body, decided to overthrow the government of the United States violently.

And even then, I think there would some kind of negotiations to see things couldn't be worked out somehow.

badger
9/28/2011, 03:19 PM
There was an Associated Press story today (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20110928_336_0_OLHMIY584190) on an Oklahoma lawmaker that is looking to cut state higher ed funding regardless... oh wait, isn't that's all of them? LOL.

Seriously, it's only a matter of time before we're Michigan and UM gets like 17 percent of its funding from the state now.

State funding, even before this whole conference realignment thing really blew up, was cut during the past two fiscal years in Oklahoma by $44 million. (http://www1.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=330&articleid=20110519_330_0_OLHMIY227201) Even deeper cuts are expected in 2012, once again, regardless of conference affiliation.

So yeah, take any legislative threats concerning conferences with a grain of salt, because they are cutting state funding for higher ed, whether OSU is in the same conference as OU or not.

PS: Please don't turn this into a political discussion, or the real Modadors are going to get angry.

sooneredaco
9/28/2011, 03:23 PM
How many have the SEC schools competed in and won? How many times has a two-loss Big 12 team gotten into the national title game because of strength of schedule? None. SEC - One.

And, our strength of schedule is weaker with every good school that leaves. People may scoff at Texas A&M and Nebraska leaving, but they're both winning again and give us much more than any SMU, Houston, BYU, or Air Force would.

Get real.

It blows my mind how you and others get this worked up over something you have absolutely no control over. Get over it. We are in the big 12 until further notice. Oklahoma can and will continue to compete for championships regardless of what conference they compete in. We'll start by adding number 8 this year.

Sooner98
9/28/2011, 03:30 PM

The problem with the Big 9 is that it is the perfect system for us to finish as National Runner-Up on a consistent basis. We'll run through our crap conference schedule, say, scoring 60 points a game, then get completely exposed against, say, Florida. The SEC winner is battle-tested and ready to go when they compete in the BCSNC game. When we get there and go up against an SEC team, we get exposed and embarrassed like we did against Florida and LSU, because we just went through a gauntlet that included Iowa State and Baylor. A move to the SEC would remedy this.

kevpks
9/28/2011, 03:34 PM
The problem with the Big 9 is that it is the perfect system for us to finish as National Runner-Up on a consistent basis. We'll run through our crap conference schedule, say, scoring 60 points a game, then get completely exposed against, say, Florida. The SEC winner is battle-tested and ready to go when they compete in the BCSNC game. When we get there and go up against an SEC team, we get exposed and embarrassed like we did against Florida and LSU, because we just went through a gauntlet that included Iowa State and Baylor. A move to the SEC would remedy this.

I could live with getting to the National Championship game on a regular basis and I don't think we'd necessarily lose or even be underdogs in all of them. We did not get embarrassed against Florida or LSU. Those were both very competitive games. We only were embarrassed in...oh wait that game never happened.

CBUS_SOONER
9/28/2011, 03:37 PM
misery can go... As long as u got OU and texass, you will always have a solid conf

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 03:38 PM
I think it was said that the SEC was a self-monitoring group that kept each other in check by reigning in everyone who was cheating too much, while allowed each other to cheat a little.

What apparently ruined this "perfect" system was Fat Phil Fulmer, who decided to rat Bama out so that the NCAA would let him off for Tennessee's own issues.

No telling if this still SEC system still goes on in Fulmer's absence, but my guess is that it does.

So anyway, I think the SEC cheating numbers are a bit... under-reported, let's say.

Yeah, I can just see in the backrooms Auburn and Alabama "allowing" each other to cheat.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HtioAIy6N_k/Tb6-9SVbkhI/AAAAAAAAANs/aZk_aLBKav8/s1600/ilhat.jpg

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 03:44 PM

Exactly.

sooneron
9/28/2011, 04:09 PM
Exactly.

Really? Then you weren't watching the mnc games in 04 and 09. One game we led at halftime and the other we were knocking on the door down by a td. I would NOT call that exposed. Actually, both losses could be laid at the doorstep of one coordinator. It had NOTHING to do with being battle tested.

Sooner98
9/28/2011, 04:25 PM
Really? Then you weren't watching the mnc games in 04 and 09. One game we led at halftime and the other we were knocking on the door down by a td. I would NOT call that exposed. Actually, both losses could be laid at the doorstep of one coordinator. It had NOTHING to do with being battle tested.

Sure they were competitive games, but we were exposed because both years (especially '08), we had the nation believing that we were some sort of unstoppable offensive juggernaut that was going to destroy everything in our path. Then, we went up against an acutal GOOD defense, and managed...14 points. Same against LSU.

By the way, we have won a total of one national championship in the last 26 years in the Big 8/12. I am willing to wager a year's income that we could at least match that, as part of the SEC.

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 04:57 PM
LSU's defense had their way with us all game long. We had 150 or so total offensive yards.

Against Florida, we couldn't crack the goal line twice inside the five in the first half. Then, they ran all over us in the fourth quarter.

Both games were far different that the regular season blowouts we were handing to everyone because...shocking...we were finally playing defenses with speed.

14 points is 14 points. Twice SEC champions held our record-setting offenses and Heisman winning quarterbacks to 14 points. That means they were stopping us more often than not. A lot more often than not.

And...Florida's QB lit our defense up for 100+ on the ground. Against LSU, a freshman back lit us up for 100+.

We dominated no facet of either game.

Blaming the coordinators who somehow produced record-setting offenses? For one game? Come on. We played equal or better speed and coaching in each game and lost out. Both Saban and Meyers had two national champions guiding SEC schools over the last eight years. Bob had one, and played for two others. Our coaching was fine. Executing against LSU and Florida is different than executing against Iowa State, Baylor, and the rest of the Big 12 garbage.

yankee
9/28/2011, 05:11 PM
I think Joe C or Boren stole lunch money from Wall as a child. :distress: