PDA

View Full Version : Had my first visit to OSU campus yesterday....

cleller
9/27/2011, 04:35 PM
I have two nieces attending OSU. My brother's daughter, and wife's brother's daughter. We took a drive up there to take them both to lunch and let them get better acquainted. It was the first time I have actually been on the OSU campus, and it felt strange at first. Here's what I picked up.

Campus nowhere near as pretty as OU, but not ugly. Easy to navigate.
"World's Largest Student Union" is underwhelming and confusing. It is under remodel; reminds me of an airport.
The kids- actually very nice and friendly.
The Strip, their version of Campus Corner is small and looks a little rundown.
Stillwater doesn't have much to offer, but traffic is not a problem.
Boone's Stadium is downright ugly. Plain and dull.

Now myself, my wife, and daughter are all OU grads, as is my wife's brother. The recurring positive thing I hear in OSU's favor is they have a strong advisor's program; they try hard to help and direct the students. From experience, this seems lacking at OU, and I don't understand why. It seems so basic.

No real point I'm trying to make, just curious how some of you feel about OSU. My nieces seem happy comfortable there, so that's a positive.

8timechamps
9/27/2011, 04:49 PM
I have two nieces attending OSU. My brother's daughter, and wife's brother's daughter. We took a drive up there to take them both to lunch and let them get better acquainted. It was the first time I have actually been on the OSU campus, and it felt strange at first. Here's what I picked up.

Campus nowhere near as pretty as OU, but not ugly. Easy to navigate.
"World's Largest Student Union" is underwhelming and confusing. It is under remodel; reminds me of an airport.
The kids- actually very nice and friendly.
The Strip, their version of Campus Corner is small and looks a little rundown.
Stillwater doesn't have much to offer, but traffic is not a problem.
Boone's Stadium is downright ugly. Plain and dull.

You think it's bad now? You should have seen it before the renovation...I remember the last time I went to a Bedlam game there (back in the 90's), I seriously thought the thing was going to fall in. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe how much it looked like a decent sized high school stadium. I will say it looks better now.

SicEmBaylor
9/27/2011, 04:54 PM
I may potentially get negged for this, but I actually like OSU's architecture better than OU's. I'm really not a fan of that dark red brick and thick cream colored trim on all the buildings. I find it somewhat depressing.

HOWEVER, once you get inside the buildings there's no question that OU's facilities are superior. A lot of OSU's buildings are a dump...plain and simple. You can almost smell the asbestos in the air. The Political Science department scared me.

I think someone once told me that OU's architecture is known as "Praire Gothic." Is that accurate?

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2011, 05:01 PM
I may potentially get negged for this, but I actually like OSU's architecture better than OU's. I'm really not a fan of that dark red brick and thick cream colored trim on all the buildings. I find it somewhat depressing.

HOWEVER, once you get inside the buildings there's no question that OU's facilities are superior. A lot of OSU's buildings are a dump...plain and simple. You can almost smell the asbestos in the air. The Political Science department scared me.

I think someone once told me that OU's architecture is known as "Praire Gothic." Is that accurate?

Cherokee Gothic

Coined by Frank Lloyd Wright

stoopified
9/28/2011, 05:03 PM
Never had anything against Stillwater or the oSu campus BUT the rabidly insecure Orange Rabble that is their fan base is another matter altogether.

Jacie
9/28/2011, 06:31 PM
Compared to OUr campus, Stillwater always seemed a little cozy . . . and the aroma quite . . . rich (when you have an excess of manure on your hands, it makes sense to fertilize everything in sight). My impression (gleaned from attending two games there in the early 70's) is that there is a kind of small town ambience to the place. It is easy to see why it appeals to kids who don't want to let go of the highschool experience. It is like they have joined a very large club but it is okay because everyone knows everybody else.

OhU1
9/28/2011, 06:40 PM
Stillwater is a decent town and due to its smaller size more of a college dominated town than Norman. The campus is nice looking but I prefer the quirky weirdness of OU's various styles of architecture. If you know some students you can have a fun time visiting up there. It's been about 15 years since I've visited so I don't know if things have changed much.

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2011, 06:53 PM
UT's campus is fugly. Tech's isn't much better. Nebraska sucks. I like Mizzou and OSU. I can't speak for the two Kansas schools since I've never been there.

yankee
9/28/2011, 11:55 PM
I took a visit to OSU my Junior year in HS before I became a Sooner, officially. Very nice campus, but I liked OU's better. Probably just the homer in me. I don't have a problem with anyone who says OSU's campus is nicer than OU's, because they both are impressive. However, if someone said UT's or aggy's was nicer, I'd think they were on drugs. Kansas has a great campus too, and Lawrence is a neat college town.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/29/2011, 12:13 AM
Norman is cooler than Stillwater, no two ways about it. And if I believed where one is buried is important, I would want to be buried in the South Oval lawn.

3rdgensooner
9/29/2011, 07:33 AM
It is easy to see why it appeals to kids who don't want to let go of the highschool experience. It is like they have joined a very large club but it is okay because everyone knows everybody else.This is exactly why my nephew--who grew up an avid Sooner fan in a Sooner family--is attending OSU. Well said.

NormanPride
9/29/2011, 08:00 AM
So OSU is for scared kids who can't handle change? That fits nicely, actually.

Peach Fuzz
9/29/2011, 02:19 PM
I attended both schools for a semester my freshmen year. OSU is a more small town easy transition from high school type place. It also got old really quick. It was like a never ending hick frat party and they're weren't too many people that would just be themselves. The university was (sad to say) a lot better for the students than OU imo, but OU was downright badass! OU is more of a who's who school and it seemed like everyone was cool as hell, except the scene kids that are full of **** 24/7. That being said, OU was a waaaay better experience.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/30/2011, 02:15 AM
UT's campus is fugly. Tech's isn't much better. Nebraska sucks. I like Mizzou and OSU. I can't speak for the two Kansas schools since I've never been there.

Top Big 12-3 schools campuses... 1 OU, 2 KU, 3 ISU.

The rest are industrial... LosuR is particularly ugly as is UT.

Now if CU were still in...they would be up there, Nebbish would be down there and aggie would be the Borg...