PDA

View Full Version : T Boone Pickens: Big 12-3 needs to think big and add TCU, Houston, Rice, and SMU

Sooner1972
9/27/2011, 03:57 PM
Discussing what the conference should do regarding the three members that have left and a potential Mizzou exit, Pickens just tweeted this (which has already been picked up by CBS and ESPN):

boonepickens T. Boone Pickens
by McMurphyCBS
#Big12 - if you want to talk expansion you have to think TCU. If you want to talk bigger, Houston makes sense. Even bigger? Rice and SMU.

Thanks Boren. You have absolutely relegated this fine institution into the doldrums for many years to come. Rather than further cultivate our growth in many sports and academically, we are now hoping to "think even bigger" in hopes that Rice and SMU join us in this hell hole.

sooneredaco
9/27/2011, 04:05 PM
Boone is an idiot

BASSooner
9/27/2011, 04:06 PM
Boone is an idiot
*facepalm*

badger
9/27/2011, 04:07 PM
Normally I'd glare and moan about the fact that another conference reallignment has been started, but sure, let's talk about Boone Pickens and the fact that he can't keep. his. mouth. SHUT!

Sept 2: Dallas Morning News: (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/tcu-horned-frogs/20110902-osu-benefactor-t.-boone-pickens-big-12-should-go-after-tcu.ece)

“If I was running the conference, I'd quickly go to TCU,” Pickens told the paper. “I don't think OU or Texas either one wants 'em.”

Sept 3: Austin-American Statesman: (http://www.statesman.com/sports/collegefootball/osus-boone-pickens-chides-texas-predicts-big-12s-1818353.html)

Pickens believes the Cowboys will end up in the Pac-12, with Oklahoma. He largely blames Texas' insistence on creating the Longhorn Network.

"The network could have been the straw that broke the camel's back," Pickens said.

Dodds "is a friend of mine," Pickens said. "But DeLoss had too many cards and he played every damn one of them. I think that's too bad. You get tired of saying ‘aaah' while you get something shoved down your throat."

Sept. 5: Deseret News: (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700176590/BYU-Notre-Dame-disrespect-T-Boone-Pickens-has-to-know-Provo.html)

"Notre Dame already has a network and they're damaged merchandise, as far as I'm concerned," said Pickens. "I don't want Notre Dame. And BYU? Who in the hell knows where Provo, Utah, is?"

Sept. 17: Tulsa World: (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110917_93_B3_CUTLIN987715)

"We're smart enough that we won't be left high and dry," he said.

Sept 21: CBSSports.com: (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/32154984)

"I still have great hope that the Aggies stay with the Big 12," Pickens told me.

And just today: All over the AP wire: (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/27/big-12-pickens.ap/)

In San Antonio on Tuesday, Pickens said "we got a real problem" if Missouri doesn't stay in the Big 12/

As the Boone Pickens Stadium PA system said every time our band played Boomer Sooner last season, "SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!"

Breadburner
9/27/2011, 04:07 PM
@OP are you stupid....???

Sooner98
9/27/2011, 04:08 PM
"Even bigger" = Rice and SMU.

Good heavens.

cherokeebrewer
9/27/2011, 04:14 PM
Just what we need, three more Texas schools...ugh.

cherokeebrewer
9/27/2011, 04:17 PM
or four...I'm dizzy from it all.

SoonerMom2
Who is in charge of OSU -- Hargis or Pickens -- my money is on Boone! Wouldn't you hate to be the President and have a Booster running his mouth all the time. Worst thing is that the media caters to him. UGH.

humblesooner
The only two differences between Pickens expressing his opinions about re-alignment and me expressing mine, are a few billion dollars (his) and a few billion brain cells (mine).
Boone is a fan and booster. I am a fan and a booster.

Widescreen
9/27/2011, 04:18 PM
Pickens needs to shut his pie hole. Why does anyone care what he thinks? Apparently ESPN thinks we do.

badger
9/27/2011, 04:23 PM
We really can't trust OSU anymore, can we? Anytime we try to work with them and give them information, their leadership feels obligated to tell Boone everything, and then, Boone tells everything to the world. :(

Till he starts giving millions/billions to OU, I say we cut OSU out of future discussions concerning the future conference of OU. That way, no worries about Boone blabbing.

Feel bad, Boone? You're not even an Oklahoman anymore.

TexasEx4OU
9/27/2011, 04:25 PM
I'm still processing the apparent fact that Boone tweets...

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2011, 04:29 PM

Exactly. I know he likes to project the image of being on the cutting edge of technology and all, but I have a hard time picturing a guy old enough to be my dad tweeting his thoughts and whims to the world.

rekamrettuB
9/27/2011, 04:30 PM

He's hired a team that tweets for him.

rekamrettuB
9/27/2011, 04:30 PM
Exactly. I know he likes to project the image of being on the cutting edge of technology and all, but I have a hard time picturing a guy old enough to be my dad tweeting his thoughts and whims to the world.

You're 60?

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2011, 04:34 PM
You're 60?

[hairGel] !!!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2011, 04:38 PM
Even though I wouldn't mind adding TCU and Houston, adding those teams means about 4 additional TVs than before..

cleller
9/27/2011, 04:43 PM
He's a self-fulfilling media magnet. He bought his way into the conversation, and just keeps running his mouth. He has no ability to realize how selfish, obnoxious, and rude he is. He has no authority to make decisions, yet overshadows Hargis every chance he gets.

Its like paying someone to talk to you, pathetic.

badger
9/27/2011, 04:49 PM
He's a self-fulfilling media magnet. He bought his way into the conversation, and just keeps running his mouth. He has no ability to realize how selfish, obnoxious, and rude he is. He has no authority to make decisions, yet overshadows Hargis every chance he gets.

Its like paying someone to talk to you, pathetic.

Like that Family Guy episode on Sunday of Peter Griffin winning the lottery and finding new ways to treat everyone like crap. :mad:

Glad he's OSU's problem mostly. I just wish he wasn't partially ours too.

Widescreen
9/27/2011, 05:37 PM
He's hired a team that tweets for him.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/08/monkey-typewriters-simpsons-paper.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
9/27/2011, 05:39 PM
I wonder when they are going to rename the school Oklahoma State Pickens.

3DSooner
9/27/2011, 07:32 PM
He is a turd on the landscape of college football!
He is a poke! I get it! That is his school! I get it!
He has a gadzillon $$$$$, I get it!
He is a friggen Booster!
Nothing more, nothing less.

That does not make his opinion on college football relevant!
He Is A BOOSTER! NOT A PRESIDENT, NOT A AD, Just a rich FAN!

SunnySooner
9/27/2011, 07:43 PM
Oh HAAYL no!!!! Uh-unh. Nyet. Negative. Non. Worst idea evarrrrrr. Go tilt at some more windmills, T. Booger.

oumartin
9/27/2011, 08:17 PM
Adding those schools is about the only way to keep his school relevant. If they add any schools that may be any good theres a chance OSU goes back to the cellar.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/27/2011, 08:20 PM
Adding those schools is about the only way to keep his school relevant. If they add any schools that may be any good theres a chance OSU goes back to the cellar.Any tx school addition to any conference we are in hurts our recruiting. Not complicated.

Breadburner
9/27/2011, 08:32 PM
He's The Obama of college football......

9/27/2011, 08:37 PM
He's The Obama of college football......rut-roh, move the thread!

dennis580
9/27/2011, 10:46 PM
We NEED 12 teams, but none of those team should be from the state of Texas. I think both OU, and Texas will get togeather make sure we add no new teams from Texas.

My best guess is that we add BYU, West Virgina, and Air Force.

9/28/2011, 12:26 AM
We NEED 12 teams, but none of those team should be from the state of Texas. I think both OU, and Texas will get togeather make sure we add no new teams from Texas.

My best guess is that we add BYU, West Virgina, and Air Force.I sure hope you're correct. And, if we do add ONE texas team, I want it to be Rice or Houston, rather than TCU or SMU, due to proximity to our recruiting base.

lexred
9/28/2011, 07:59 AM
He is right about one thing, if we lose Mizzou we are in deep do do if the goal was to keep the "Big 12" togather. Their football team has improved and most of their other sports are pretty good. Anyone that replaced them would not bring as much to the table. If Mizzou decides to bolt to the SEC I think a lawsuit is in order. To try to deny that there is no backdoor dialogue prior to a departure announcement is absurd. Maybe some of the board attorneys can comment.

Widescreen
9/28/2011, 08:01 AM
A lawsuit for what? Boren stated recently that litigation is not the right way to hold a conference together. I haven't heard that any agreements had been actually made yet with the remaining Big 12 members.

lexred
9/28/2011, 08:10 AM
A lawsuit for what? Boren stated recently that litigation is not the right way to hold a conference together. I haven't heard that any agreements had been actually made yet with the remaining Big 12 members.

I am not really sure, but the SEC seemed very concerned about about a possible lawsuit in regard to Texas A&M. As for Boren's comments, I tend to agree, but he has confused the hell out of me on this issue. I know that membership in a Conference is a voluntary issue, but the whole issue of realignments is out of control. The only reason the SEC might want MIzzou is that they are pretty decent, but will not threaten the traditional football powers.

Monster Zero
9/28/2011, 08:14 AM
Boone is an idiot

Boone is an idiot and he needs to STFU

Sooner in Tampa
9/28/2011, 08:16 AM
T. Booger needs to just STFU!!!!

jkjsooner
9/28/2011, 08:26 AM
The rest of the Big 12 (and media) needs to start ignoring Pickens. Last I heard he's a donor to OSU. If he wants to give the Big 12 a few hundred million dollars then maybe we'll care about his opinion. Until then his opinion means nothing to anyone outside of OSU.

SoonerMarkVA
9/28/2011, 12:28 PM
Welcome to being in a conference that will soon have roughly the prestige of the Big East.

I cannot believe this is happening when we could have gone with Aggie last year into the SEC. I won't say SEC is my first choice, but it sure would be an improvement over what we have now (and our short-term future prospects).

boomerinhou
9/28/2011, 02:19 PM

My best guess is that we add BYU, West Virgina, and Air Force.

Guys...the interim commissioner Chuck Neinas has stated twice during interviews last week that if the Big 12 adds new teams, none will be added from the state of Texas. He said there's resistence from all schools from adding any teams from Texas.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7009735/interim-commissioner-chuck-neinas-aims-closer-big-12

sooneredaco
9/28/2011, 02:23 PM
Guys...the interim commissioner Chuck Neinas has stated twice during interviews last week that if the Big 12 adds new teams, none will be added from the state of Texas. He said there's resistence from all schools from adding any teams from Texas.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7009735/interim-commissioner-chuck-neinas-aims-closer-big-12

I already like this guy!

badger
9/28/2011, 02:26 PM

This is the video of that interview he had on Gameday last weekend, isn't it? (sorry, videos make my compy act weird, so I'm avoiding). I lol'd that he was living in Boulder, Colo. and was the new Big 12 commish in new Pac 12 country :D

I remember his two criteria seemed to be:

1- NOT in Texas, and
2- GOOD at football.

9/28/2011, 02:51 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7009735/interim-commissioner-chuck-neinas-aims-closer-big-12Best news I've heard all day! srsly!

bowfin
9/28/2011, 03:21 PM
He said there's resistence from all schools from adding any teams from Texas.

I wonder if there is any resistance to keeping any teams from Texas?

stoopified
9/28/2011, 05:10 PM
"Even bigger" = Rice and SMU.

Good heavens.Exactly what I was thinking.

tulsaoilerfan
9/28/2011, 08:35 PM
Houston, Rice, and SMU would bring absolutely nothing to the conference; PASS

Lott's Bandana
9/28/2011, 09:33 PM
Neinas has changed his tune.

Now apparently there is interest in Texas' teams now.

SoonerPride
9/28/2011, 10:02 PM
if we end up adding more texas teams let's just rename the conference the Southwest Conference.

At least it has a catchy ring to it. :chargrined:

Plexis22
9/28/2011, 10:03 PM
Playing Rice, SMU, Houston, and TCU would not be very exciting...

bluedogok
9/28/2011, 10:05 PM
Remember that Pickens first went to Texas A&M before transferring to Oklahoma A&M. I think he is more Texan than Oklahoman after all his years spent down here, plus he probably views those schools as lesser competition for OSU.

sooner KB
9/28/2011, 10:22 PM
He's The Obama of college football......

T. Boone Pickens is a Republican.

SCSooner71
9/29/2011, 04:22 AM
Just sign the checks and shut your pie hole you old fart!

mainline13
9/29/2011, 07:33 AM
Boone is an idiot

In many ways, perhaps, but here - not so much.

When the Houston Chronicle suggested adding TCU and Houston, I just figured they were thinking football rather than market share. But T-Bone knows money stuff. In that sense, he is certainly not stupid. So what do you figure?

I think he's trying to get the Big <however many> to become even bigger, without doing anything to simultaneously increase revenue. This dilutes each school's share of the money, of course, but the Chowpokes have his deep pockets behind them. He'll make up the difference for them.

So this is his way of increasing OSUcks' share of the conference money without being too obvious about it. Well, sort of obvious, if I can figure it out, but still.

ouflak
9/29/2011, 08:08 AM
Please keep all political discussion off this board guys. Friendly reminder. It doesn't matter who started it. The Mods will end it. They are a bit touchy right now.

soonercoop1
9/29/2011, 04:37 PM
Discussing what the conference should do regarding the three members that have left and a potential Mizzou exit, Pickens just tweeted this (which has already been picked up by CBS and ESPN):

boonepickens T. Boone Pickens
by McMurphyCBS
#Big12 - if you want to talk expansion you have to think TCU. If you want to talk bigger, Houston makes sense. Even bigger? Rice and SMU.

Thanks Boren. You have absolutely relegated this fine institution into the doldrums for many years to come. Rather than further cultivate our growth in many sports and academically, we are now hoping to "think even bigger" in hopes that Rice and SMU join us in this hell hole.

If any of those teams are added a certain person in charge needs to seriously consider retirement

cccasooner2
9/29/2011, 04:49 PM
"Dodds "is a friend of mine," Pickens said. "But DeLoss had too many cards and he played every damn one of them. I think that's too bad. You get tired of saying ‘aaah' while you get something shoved down your throat."

T-Boone's been spending too much time with STEP.

badger
9/29/2011, 04:53 PM
T. Boone Pickens is a Republican.

He was at the DNC last time around if I'm not mistaken. 60 Minutes captured him on camera trying to go up to Kerry to shake his hand and Kerry went another direction (TBP funded the Swift Boat Vets for Truth campaign).

So, without making this discussion political, TBP does what's in TBP's interest and nobody else's. Makes me wonder how he's using OSU to his advantage. Methinks the hedge fund money he "donated" to his alma mater might have just been "donated" for tax purposes. Poor OSU. They think they have money.

cccasooner2
9/29/2011, 05:13 PM
........Methinks the hedge fund money he "donated" to his alma mater might have just been "donated" for tax purposes.....

Golly gee, I knew there was a catch. Now I'm an OSU jock strap for TBPs benefit, at least we have jorbs.