PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something about the LSU defense...

The Maestro
9/27/2011, 02:55 PM
...and how "great" they are? Sure, playmakers all over the field...but how do the stats from last week's game at WVU get overlooked so much?

West Virginia rolled up 533 yards. One more yard than Missouri had on us and we acted depressed about our performance. West Virginia also had 533 yards of offense in another game this year.

Against Norfolk State. 480 against Maryland and under 300 against Marshall.

WVU threw the ball for 463 yards and had 28 first downs. Season highs in both categories.

Heck, WVU even ran the ball for 3.2 yards per carry so not great, but not like they didn't have any success.

The key was 4 turnovers for WVU and 0 for LSU. Yes, that is a stat that matters...and matters a lot.

Meanwhile, as Venables pointed out, OU gave up more yards than they got, had more turnovers than they forced and still had a 17 point lead most of the second half.

I'm not saying they are not talented on defense...but they were perceived as NFL worthy after last week while everyone is questioning our defense...and the stats are almost the same except for the turnover differential we overcame. One has to deduce that if WVU holds onto the ball...why wouldn't they have won the game or come close?

OULenexaman
9/27/2011, 03:06 PM
Alabama is the team with the D.....they are giving up almost nothing to the run.

EatLeadCommie
9/27/2011, 03:08 PM
LSU has what one would call an opportunistic defense.

Oldnslo
9/27/2011, 03:09 PM
Loopy Les Miles is the luckiest human being on the face of the earth!

sooneredaco
9/27/2011, 03:21 PM
I said the same thing on another forum and everybody just ignored it and said some BS about the SEC and defense wins championships blah blah blah. Overrated I say!

OhU1
9/27/2011, 03:39 PM
SEC speed. People run faster in the south (speed being a euphemism for "more black people"). The LSU defense is so fast that they over run plays sometimes.

SunnySooner
9/27/2011, 03:42 PM
Les Miles IS the luckiest motherlover I have ever seen in my LIFE!!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?! I keep thinking at some point, that luck is going to run out, but it doesn't! And don't give me the whole, "Luck is when hard work meets opportunity" crap. He has had a ton of just pure-dee-old pull-it-out-of-his-behind LUCK.

I think he sold his soul to the Debil. It's the only logical explanation.

the-rover
9/27/2011, 03:45 PM
SEC speed. People run faster in the south (speed being a euphemism for "more black people"). The LSU defense is so fast that they over run plays sometimes.

OU's defense overruns plays too....maybe that's why our coaches don't have a problem with sticking in a guy with a broken foot....that way, someone stays in position.

8timechamps
9/27/2011, 04:11 PM
Everything will be transparent soon. LSU gets a pushover UK team this week, but then they will show if they are really that good, or just another overrated SEC team (after UK, three of their next four are Florida, @Tennessee (much improved) and @ Alabama). We'll all know soon enough if they are "for real".

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2011, 04:20 PM
They are producing turnovers and if that happens consistently, it's not luck. But they haven't played enough games to make that conclusion yet. 2 of the TO in the duck game were brain-farts by the back-up punt returner. A third was forced, but it was a FR running back who had to play due to injuries to the top 2 guys. I think Cliff Harris had a big hand in losing that game for his team by getting his azz suspended. It would have been a very tight game had Harris cleanly fielded punts.

gernblansten
9/27/2011, 04:23 PM
Everything will be transparent soon. LSU gets a pushover UK team this week, but then they will show if they are really that good, or just another overrated SEC team (after UK, three of their next four are Florida, @Tennessee (much improved) and @ Alabama). We'll all know soon enough if they are "for real".

Are we "for real"? If so, when did we prove it? If not, when will we know if we're "for real"?

cccasooner2
9/27/2011, 04:42 PM
Who cares? I just want our boys getting the crystal. If they don't get it we can all join the woulda, coulda, shoulda discussions for another year.

SyN
9/27/2011, 06:02 PM
I will say this from the outside looking in... We best hope we don't play LSU or Alabama...

If we do... Landry will PooP himself many times and be running scared the whole game...And we all know Landry can't scramble... He would rather throw an interception... It's sad but true... I hope OU wins every game this year, but I'm realistic...

Everyone can say what they want... It's just opinions...But Defense Does Win Championships!!!

8timechamps
9/27/2011, 06:28 PM
Are we "for real"? If so, when did we prove it? If not, when will we know if we're "for real"?

What? Did I misread the title of this thread....oh, no, you did. This isn't about "us".

Carry on.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2011, 06:41 PM
The weakness with the LSU defense is the secondary..Not that they aren't exceptional athletes, they are young..But they are also aggressive ....The Dline is stellar..

The OU defense is really good at DE position and 1 corner and that's about all I know about them..inconsistency from the other positions makes it hard to say at this point..I think after Texas, I may be able to get a better idea..

fadada1
9/27/2011, 06:45 PM
the SEC is so fast that reports on how good their defenses are... have been written before the games have been played.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2011, 07:02 PM
Until someone from outside that conference wins a NC, it's really hard to argue against the hype.

picasso
9/27/2011, 08:59 PM
I will say this from the outside looking in... We best hope we don't play LSU or Alabama...

If we do... Landry will PooP himself many times and be running scared the whole game...And we all know Landry can't scramble... He would rather throw an interception... It's sad but true... I hope OU wins every game this year, but I'm realistic...

Everyone can say what they want... It's just opinions...But Defense Does Win Championships!!!
Good lord.

Go home and cry to Momma.

oudavid1
9/27/2011, 09:22 PM
I think they have the best defensive player in the country.

http://www.katc.com/images/thumbnails/0054F3881CA565A0BFFF330153BFDD2C_292_292.jpg

Also have won on the road. Against good teams, more than once.

Yes, OU beat a now 2-2 FSU team, but we also knocked out their QB (amongst other people).

picasso
9/27/2011, 09:27 PM

http://www.katc.com/images/thumbnails/0054F3881CA565A0BFFF330153BFDD2C_292_292.jpg

Yes, OU beat a now 2-2 FSU team, but we also knocked out their QB (amongst other people).
That kid a first class punk.

AzianSooner
9/27/2011, 09:29 PM
How many yards MIzzou gained on us?

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 10:01 PM
L$U

Just another piece of the money pie in the SEC!

SEC = Greatest professional football league in the nation!

o0Dan0o
9/27/2011, 10:42 PM
The LSU defense is very good, but it's still early in the season, everyone's still working out the kinks. We're no where close to mid-season form, but I think when we get to the OSU game we'll be playing at a pretty stunning level.

And neither LSU or Bama are likely to escape conference play without a loss. I still believe it'll be OU - Boise for the NC. I'm assuming Stanford drops one somewhere, then there's Wisconsin and Nebbish, they'd both need to loose one as well. But I want to OUr boys to knee cap BSU...

Soonerus
9/27/2011, 11:18 PM
OU is best team this year...

The Ghost of Mex
9/27/2011, 11:23 PM
OU is best team this year...

I imagined you saying this with a thick Russian accent...it was funny.

I agree...we will have great success.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/28/2011, 12:48 AM
Les Miles IS the luckiest motherlover I have ever seen in my LIFE!!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?! I keep thinking at some point, that luck is going to run out, but it doesn't! And don't give me the whole, "Luck is when hard work meets opportunity" crap. He has had a ton of just pure-dee-old pull-it-out-of-his-behind LUCK.

I think he sold his soul to the Debil. It's the only logical explanation.If evar there was a case made for soul-selling to old El Diablo, the Mad Hatter would be the example!

oudavid1
9/28/2011, 01:47 AM
That kid a first class punk.

I think that is a little unfair and he is still better than anyone we have in our defensive backfield.

Since71ASooner4Life
9/28/2011, 05:15 AM

That's a fact. We ought to be happy they jumped us in the AP poll - best scenario is we stay undefeated and develop a king size chip on the shoulder heading to January

picasso
9/28/2011, 07:59 AM
I think that is a little unfair and he is still better than anyone we have in our defensive backfield.
Unfair? He's a mouthy punk. Life is unfair there David.

Landthief 1972
9/28/2011, 08:30 AM

How is that any different than our own Travis Lewis? He's fully admitted 90% of his game is just talking trash on the field. Is he better because he uses bigger words, or does not end his sentences in prepositions?

The fact of the matter is that LSU plays a very opportunistic defense, an they've done so in more road games. Everyone keeps comparing the Mizzou game to their WV game - Mizzou is unranked, and we played at home. WV is ranked, and LSU played in Banjo Country. Everyone needs to stop the hand-wringing 4 weeks into the season, FCOL. We're still 2 weeks from Harris and BCS polls. If OU continues to improve and win out, they will be in a great position to play LSU...in their own backyard, AGAIN.

College stats are so meaningless in a week-to-week comparison. Everyone had spreadsheets of data about why OU was going to mop the floor with USC in '04, and we embarrassed ourselves. I for one would welcome super conferences, because it would facilitate a playoff much better.

OU is a great team. LSU is great team for different reasons. Both have weaknesses. But up to this point, LSU has played better. It's not a giant chasm of difference, but it's enough - for now. Let this crap shake itself out, and if it's meant to be, so be it.

Okie35
9/28/2011, 08:55 AM
they just capitalize on turnovers, i could play the could've should've would've game but really if you protect the ball against them you should be able to beat them and their passing defense is as inconsistent as they come

Okie35
9/28/2011, 09:00 AM

Not really, Claiborne is their best DB. Mathieu is no better than Flemming. We go up against better offenses/qbs consistently. Darron Thomas (who isn't that good of a passing QB) & Geno Smith are nothing compared to Robert Griffin, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Tennahill, etc. Mathieu and Claiborne let Geno Smith throw for over 460 yards on them, hilarious.

SoonerAtKU
9/28/2011, 09:17 AM
Geno Smith is going to be very good, and it might be worth noting that we haven't yet played ANY of those three great QBs mentioned this year. What happens if they all three throw for 600 yds and 6 TDs each on this defense?

I will certainly agree that the quality of QB play in the Big XII is vastly superior to that in the SEC, but at this point in the season, the OU defense has only faced one of them, and didn't set the world on fire.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2011, 09:35 AM

Funny you pick that play which was an example of LSU getting lucky. #7 may be a great player, but he did nothing outside of making an easy tackle on that one. The backup punt returner fielded the ball too close to his own goal line and then didn't protect the ball at all. It popped out on a simple tackle and bounced right back into 7's hands for a walkin score. I do credit 7 for keeping his head up and seeing the ball came out, but that was an unforced error. Cliff Harris should have been back there, but cost his team big time by his suspension. We'll see if the ball continues to bounce their way (and with Lester on the sideline, it might).

Okie35
9/28/2011, 09:36 AM
Geno Smith is going to be very good, and it might be worth noting that we haven't yet played ANY of those three great QBs mentioned this year. What happens if they all three throw for 600 yds and 6 TDs each on this defense?

I will certainly agree that the quality of QB play in the Big XII is vastly superior to that in the SEC, but at this point in the season, the OU defense has only faced one of them, and didn't set the world on fire.

True, I'm saying they didn't either though (set the world on fire) so why would their DBs be any better? Geno Smith is decent but this is his 3rd year so I don't know about very good. Its funny he had oneof his better games at WVU against that oh so great LSU secondary.

Fraggle145
9/28/2011, 09:36 AM

You suck at the interwebs. Quit being a whiny tit.

Some people are born on third base, and go through life thinking they hit a triple. -The King

sooneron
9/28/2011, 09:47 AM
...And we all know Landry can't scramble... He would rather throw an interception... It's sad but true... \

Really? This may be the most stupid thing that I have ever read on here and Lid posted some stupid ****.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/28/2011, 12:31 PM

If they do that, than all we'll have to worry about is being bowl eligible not comparing ourselves to LSU.

oudavid1
9/28/2011, 12:38 PM

Haha I know life is unfair, but there are plenty of mouthy punks on Oklahoma's team too. Most defensive players are.

Not really, Claiborne is their best DB. Mathieu is no better than Flemming. We go up against better offenses/qbs consistently. Darron Thomas (who isn't that good of a passing QB) & Geno Smith are nothing compared to Robert Griffin, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Tennahill, etc. Mathieu and Claiborne let Geno Smith throw for over 460 yards on them, hilarious.

You named all QBs we havent played yet. This kid has made plays vs (I guess bad) the bad QBs/teams in front of him so far. He is a playmaker and Oklahoma would be lucky to have him. Thats all im saying.

Funny you pick that play which was an example of LSU getting lucky. #7 may be a great player, but he did nothing outside of making an easy tackle on that one. The backup punt returner fielded the ball too close to his own goal line and then didn't protect the ball at all. It popped out on a simple tackle and bounced right back into 7's hands for a walkin score. I do credit 7 for keeping his head up and seeing the ball came out, but that was an unforced error. Cliff Harris should have been back there, but cost his team big time by his suspension. We'll see if the ball continues to bounce their way (and with Lester on the sideline, it might).

Disagree on the luck aspect because its major D1 football. I mean being a gunner is hard from what I hear. I do agree that i want to see more (who dosnt), but I think this kid deserves more respect than any OU player in the secondary.

You suck at the interwebs. Quit being a whiny tit.

Some people are born on third base, and go through life thinking they hit a triple. -The King

Not whining, just trying to argue without offending anyone. Not what im about.

And the quote is awesome!

The Maestro
9/28/2011, 12:45 PM
Well, my point was simple. Everyone is jerking off the LSU Defense and acting like OU's Defense is lousy with similar stats, other than turnovers...against similar opponents. Turnovers count, but without them it is very conceivable that WVU gets even more yards, more points, gives up fewer points and maybe wins.

We are fine on D...and LSU is a good defense, but not great.

And for those that keep saying "Defense wins championships"...Auburn and Oregon were very average on defense last year.

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 12:48 PM
We've played three of the better QBs in the country already. Frankilin and Manuel are young, but no doubt dynamic playmakers. Kinnie is (well, before his injury anyway) a stud.

I'm not so sure LSU has played better competition. Possibly a little better, but not a ton. The difference is that they have won road games against ranked competition. The SEC loves them some SEC roads wins, so my guess is that most of the votes in the southeast went to LSU for that reason.

Still don't think their defense has played to the level of hype they receive.

SoonerAtKU
9/28/2011, 01:08 PM
Geno Smith is decent but this is his 3rd year so I don't know about very good.

First year in an offense that has a shot against a better team, so yes, I'd say he's going to be better than his previous years.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2011, 01:31 PM
And for those that keep saying "Defense wins championships"...Auburn and Oregon were very average on defense last year.

Bingo. Auburn was 107th in pass defense last season. But Auburn and UO were 1 and 2 in total offense or close to it. Auburn could stop the run and that was key (along with having Cam Newton).

thecrimsoncrusader
9/28/2011, 02:39 PM
Talented, well coached and healthy teams win championships. They are all just about equally important.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2011, 02:59 PM
Haha I know life is unfair, but there are plenty of mouthy punks on Oklahoma's team too. Most defensive players are.

You named all QBs we havent played yet. This kid has made plays vs (I guess bad) the bad QBs/teams in front of him so far. He is a playmaker and Oklahoma would be lucky to have him. Thats all im saying.

Disagree on the luck aspect because its major D1 football. I mean being a gunner is hard from what I hear. I do agree that i want to see more (who dosnt), but I think this kid deserves more respect than any OU player in the secondary.

Not whining, just trying to argue without offending anyone. Not what im about.

And the quote is awesome!

Okay, David - #7 is the most awesomist defensive player to ever pull on a jersey. And he can get under a pooch punt like nobody else. My point was that LSU caught a big break that the guy that was suspended ended up being such a critical factor in the game. I'm not feeling sorry for the ducks because Harris has a history of off the field issues so you could almost count on him getting in some kind of trouble over the long off-season. And this could have happened to us too - imagine if FSU had been game #1 with Stills and Mcgee suspended. We'll see if LSU continues to catch such breaks or if they are so good it doesn't matter.

gernblansten
9/28/2011, 03:11 PM
We've played three of the better QBs in the country already. Frankilin and Manuel are young, but no doubt dynamic playmakers. Kinnie is (well, before his injury anyway) a stud.

I'm not so sure LSU has played better competition. Possibly a little better, but not a ton. The difference is that they have won road games against ranked competition. The SEC loves them some SEC roads wins, so my guess is that most of the votes in the southeast went to LSU for that reason.

Still don't think their defense has played to the level of hype they receive.

Careful now, remember, this thread is not about us.

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 03:40 PM
Careful now, remember, this thread is not about us.

What's your beef? This thread was clearly about someone not being impressed with LSU's defense (nor am I). My initial comment was regarding MY OPINION as to whether or not LSU was "for real". You know, same thing the post was about.

Then, as will happen in message board posts, someone mentioned how many good QBs are on "our" schedule, and my response was about who we had already played (all in context to LSU playing ranked teams). Again, what this thread was about.

Not sure if you ever post on message boards, but so far you're not off to a good start here. There are literally hundreds of threads about our team (and if you look hard enough, you can even find the ones I posted in)...if you want to question my reasoning on our team (which is the only reason I can see why you posted in this thread in the first place), feel free to find one of those.

Or, you can continue to troll and question everyone else's comments instead of actually adding anything to the discussion....since you seem to already be pretty good at that.

oudavid1
9/28/2011, 08:11 PM
Okay, David - #7 is the most awesomist defensive player to ever pull on a jersey. And he can get under a pooch punt like nobody else. My point was that LSU caught a big break that the guy that was suspended ended up being such a critical factor in the game. I'm not feeling sorry for the ducks because Harris has a history of off the field issues so you could almost count on him getting in some kind of trouble over the long off-season. And this could have happened to us too - imagine if FSU had been game #1 with Stills and Mcgee suspended. We'll see if LSU continues to catch such breaks or if they are so good it doesn't matter.

Im just saying the kid has made plays and almost have 2 defenisve touchdowns in this young season. So far, he has lived up to his reputation.

And I think the Oklahoma defense is really good as well. A lot of talent, a lot of size, and enough experience.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2011, 08:54 PM
Im just saying the kid has made plays and almost have 2 defenisve touchdowns in this young season. So far, he has lived up to his reputation.

And I think the Oklahoma defense is really good as well. A lot of talent, a lot of size, and enough experience.

And my point was only that LSU got some unusual breaks in UO game. That particular play was 95% on the returner. I didn't see the WVU game, but I believe that UO will prove they are much better than WVU anyway and that's the game that will provide LSU the most SOS. I didn't make any comparison with OU.

SoonerPride
9/28/2011, 09:41 PM
What's your beef? This thread was clearly about someone not being impressed with LSU's defense (nor am I). My initial comment was regarding MY OPINION as to whether or not LSU was "for real". You know, same thing the post was about.

Then, as will happen in message board posts, someone mentioned how many good QBs are on "our" schedule, and my response was about who we had already played (all in context to LSU playing ranked teams). Again, what this thread was about.

Not sure if you ever post on message boards, but so far you're not off to a good start here. There are literally hundreds of threads about our team (and if you look hard enough, you can even find the ones I posted in)...if you want to question my reasoning on our team (which is the only reason I can see why you posted in this thread in the first place), feel free to find one of those.

Or, you can continue to troll and question everyone else's comments instead of actually adding anything to the discussion....since you seem to already be pretty good at that.

gernblansten is one of the better posters from when I used to post at OUInsider.

He posts a ton. He's smart and knows his stats. And his dry wit is razor sharp.

I, for one, welcome him here.

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 09:57 PM
gernblansten is one of the better posters from when I used to post at OUInsider.

He posts a ton. He's smart and knows his stats. And his dry wit is razor sharp.

I, for one, welcome him here.

I never posted at OUI, so that doesn't help me.

He's posted 21 times since being here, not quite a ton.

He may be smart and know his stats, but so far, all he's done is troll me.

I hope you're right, and he ends up being great to have around...but until that time, consider me unimpressed....seems like the "holier than thou" type.

picasso
9/28/2011, 10:50 PM
How is that any different than our own Travis Lewis? He's fully admitted 90% of his game is just talking trash on the field. Is he better because he uses bigger words, or does not end his sentences in prepositions?

The fact of the matter is that LSU plays a very opportunistic defense, an they've done so in more road games. Everyone keeps comparing the Mizzou game to their WV game - Mizzou is unranked, and we played at home. WV is ranked, and LSU played in Banjo Country. Everyone needs to stop the hand-wringing 4 weeks into the season, FCOL. We're still 2 weeks from Harris and BCS polls. If OU continues to improve and win out, they will be in a great position to play LSU...in their own backyard, AGAIN.

College stats are so meaningless in a week-to-week comparison. Everyone had spreadsheets of data about why OU was going to mop the floor with USC in '04, and we embarrassed ourselves. I for one would welcome super conferences, because it would facilitate a playoff much better.

OU is a great team. LSU is great team for different reasons. Both have weaknesses. But up to this point, LSU has played better. It's not a giant chasm of difference, but it's enough - for now. Let this crap shake itself out, and if it's meant to be, so be it.
Yeah, lots of guys talk during the game but I've yet to see ANY Sooner player jaw it up so obviously as this #7 kid. Stoops would have curbed that **** down already.
Give me a break.

cantwait48
9/29/2011, 12:12 AM
Whoever wins the sec, if we are lucky enough to get to the title game to play them, will have the athletes to play us tight man to man and with the 5 weeks to prepare will give us fits. Our offense seems to lose some of its timing with that long of a lay off also. That is why it is important that we develop a physical enough running game to take some of the load off the passing game and open up some play action. also our D needs to be healthy, eligible, etc. so that whichever sec team it is does not out physical us in the trenches with the run game too badly. We also need to be able to kick field goals longer than 25 yards with confidence in a tight game. Having said all that we have some tough games in the big12 this year, it is not the cake walk many thought it would be pre season. BU, KSU and as we all knew osu will be tough on the road and texas seems to be coming together so getting there may toughen us up enough to handle the challenge IF we can run the table. No one on our schedule though will present the defensive challenge that an sec champ would present in the title game whether it be bama, lsu, or even fla or usc.

King Barry's Back
9/29/2011, 05:46 AM
SEC speed. People run faster in the south (speed being a euphemism for "more black people").

I'm calling bs on the racial comments above. People run faster in the South because the weather is warm - and the natural athletes spend almost the whole year outside playing sports.

In the North, the natural atheletes avoid the bitter cold by becoming gym rats and pumping iron all day long.

South = speed; North = strong

King Barry's Back
9/29/2011, 05:52 AM
Talented, well coached and healthy teams win championships. They are all just about equally important.

Plenty of coaches say "defense wins championships," but as far as I know, Bud Wilkinson is the only coach that really justified the cliche.

He said that a champion has to win every game, on both good days and bad days. Given that a succesful offense is dependent on finely tuned coordination between all 11 eleven players on the field - the O is going to be inconsistent. And when the timing or rythm is off on the offense, the team won't score many points.

BUT a defensive effort is based on outstanding, individual playmaking. Therefore, the defense should never have a bad day as a group.

And if the defense can keep the opponent off the scoreboard, the team will never lose a game -- they could only at worse tie at 0-0.

In the modern college football game, offenses are so intricate, that sophisticated defenses are necessary to stop them.

So I think the game has gone away from purely individual playmaking.

I guess it's food for thought, either way.

LSUdeek
9/29/2011, 02:15 PM
LSU chose to sit back and play coverage against WV because LSU knew that Smith would be throwing it 65 times (no tailbacks or run blocking to speak f) out of three step drops. I really would enjoy seeing how OU would defend WV at their stadium. Smith is a much better passer than DT at Oregon. The game had a lot of similarities to Oregon. Teams like that *will* get their yards. They won't win very many games against good competition, though... because there is no ball control running game or defense to speak of.

We should have had 4 interceptions. Two were in our hands and dropped.

As far as not playing Tanehill, I'm pretty certain we tore aTm a new one at JerryWorld last year... 41-24 in a game that wasn't that close.

Y'all can keep hating us, and LSU will let its play on the field do the talking.

gernblansten
9/29/2011, 03:09 PM
Y'all can keep hating us, and LSU will let its play on the field do the talking.

Darn it, I was hoping LSU players were going to start posting here.

SOONERINARK
9/29/2011, 05:08 PM
BCS championship game in New Orleans hope they don't get a 3rd home field advantage in 6 years.

9/29/2011, 05:35 PM
BCS championship game in New Orleans hope they don't get a 3rd home field advantage in 6 years.GO BAMMER, ER AH FU, OR VANDY! YEAH, VANDY

SoonerShay
9/29/2011, 06:57 PM
LSU chose to sit back and play coverage against WV because LSU knew that Smith would be throwing it 65 times (no tailbacks or run blocking to speak f) out of three step drops. I really would enjoy seeing how OU would defend WV at their stadium. Smith is a much better passer than DT at Oregon. The game had a lot of similarities to Oregon. Teams like that *will* get their yards. They won't win very many games against good competition, though... because there is no ball control running game or defense to speak of.

We should have had 4 interceptions. Two were in our hands and dropped.

As far as not playing Tanehill, I'm pretty certain we tore aTm a new one at JerryWorld last year... 41-24 in a game that wasn't that close.

Funny, BIG12 fans have been saying this same thing all along. OUr defensive stats looks worse mainly because we have to face much better offenses and quarterbacks through our league. SEC fans would of course call that just an excuse and point to a game played a month after the season is over as proof. OUr defense did a better job against UF in the BCSCCG in 08, does that mean we had a better defense than any team in the SEC?

Go look at the stats from when both teams played aTm, we gave up a whole 9 more yards than you did with 5 more plays ran on us. 382yards to 373yards, the difference in scores is a kickoff return touchdown and a high snap for a safety.

By the way the LSU defense gets ripped by a few good offenses every single year on the field. The WVU game was not some anomaly.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:17 PM
And my point was only that LSU got some unusual breaks in UO game. That particular play was 95% on the returner. I didn't see the WVU game, but I believe that UO will prove they are much better than WVU anyway and that's the game that will provide LSU the most SOS. I didn't make any comparison with OU.

I know you didnt, I did. Because your an Oklahoma fan. I believe the only reason anyone would argue about LSU's rank is because the team they jumped (in the AP poll only) is Oklahoma.

And I disagree, I think LSU dominated an Oregon team with size and speed. True superiority.

Sabanball
9/29/2011, 08:38 PM
Yes, while WV did pile up some yards against LSU, the tigers were in complete control that whole game. Sometimes stats don't tell the complete story. They've beaten three ranked teams on the road, all pretty decisively. LSU is loaded and anyone that doesn't think so is fooling themselves.

At this point in time, I'd say there is little dispute among serious college football fans that LSU and Bama have the best D's. As to which one of those two is the best, well no worry that will be settled on the field on Nov. 5.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:40 PM
At this point in time, I'd say there is little dispute among serious college football fans that LSU and Bama have the best D's. As to which one of those two is the best, well no worry that will be settled on the field on Nov. 5.

I would agree they are both top 5. Too early to say they are 2 best for sure. Could see it happening though.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 08:41 PM

No dispute, Alabama has a better defense than LSU. At least at this point in the season.

Sabanball
9/29/2011, 08:53 PM
No dispute, Alabama has a better defense than LSU. At least at this point in the season.

Statistically, you would be correct. But I'm not discounting LSU one bit. Their front 4 is THE best in the country IMO, whereas our back 7 is the strength of our D. We completely shut down Arkansas' pro style passing attack last saturday. Teams that make their living playing pitch and catch are going to struggle against us.

Nov. 5 at BDS will be a war.

9/29/2011, 08:54 PM
No dispute, Alabama has a better defense than LSU. At least at this point in the season.Looks like that to me, too. Top 3 teams are:
Bammer
LSU
OU

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 08:56 PM
Statistically, you would be correct. But I'm not discounting LSU one bit. Their front 4 is THE best in the country IMO, whereas our back 7 is the strength of our D. We completely shut down Arkansas' pro style passing attack last saturday. Teams that make their living playing pitch and catch are going to struggle against us.

Nov. 5 at BDS will be a war.

I would say your completely shut down their running game, they still got 209 yds through the air. Your pass defense is very good, but I would say completely shut down Arkansas.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2011, 08:56 PM
I know you didnt, I did. Because your an Oklahoma fan. I believe the only reason anyone would argue about LSU's rank is because the team they jumped (in the AP poll only) is Oklahoma.

And I disagree, I think LSU dominated an Oregon team with size and speed. True superiority.

I also didn't argue LSU's ranking. Just addressing the topic of the thread. BTW, my ballot would not have OU at #1, but that's not relevant here.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 09:02 PM
I also didn't argue LSU's ranking. Just addressing the topic of the thread. BTW, my ballot would not have OU at #1, but that's not relevant here.

I see your point. I probably made too much out of nothing...again. I see what your saying now.

Sabanball
9/29/2011, 09:05 PM
I would say your completely shut down their running game, they still got 209 yds through the air. Your pass defense is very good, but I would say completely shut down Arkansas.

Fine. Good enough for me. I'm not going to argue semantics or split hairs, I'll still take that as complete domination against what most people consider to be the best foursome of WR's in the country. They were held way below their averages and had only one long, sustained drive all day long. And you're right, through 3 qtrs of play, they had 5 yards net of total rushing.

oudavid1
9/29/2011, 09:09 PM
Fine. Good enough for me. I'm not going to argue semantics or split hairs, I'll still take that as complete domination against what most people consider to be the best foursome of WR's in the country. They were held way below their averages and had only one long, sustained drive all day long. And you're right, through 3 qtrs of play, they had 5 yards net of total rushing.

Yeah, i wasnt trying to degrade Bama's performance. It was a great game by that really good defense. Just being a ******. The 5 yards rushing is one hell of a stat though. Domination, I agree.

Iam4OUru
9/29/2011, 10:18 PM
Yes, while WV did pile up some yards against LSU, the tigers were in complete control that whole game. Sometimes stats don't tell the complete story. They've beaten three ranked teams on the road, all pretty decisively. LSU is loaded and anyone that doesn't think so is fooling themselves.

While I agree that LSU is solid, defensively, I don't buy into MSU being a "ranked" team on their sked. Louisiana Tech took them to OT in Starkville last week. I'll be surprised if Mullen sees the Top 25 again this year. If not, is it fair to assume them as a "ranked" team?

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2011, 10:21 PM
I see your point. I probably made too much out of nothing...again. I see what your saying now.

No problem. At this point in the season, every team still has questions if you look closely. It doesn't mean those questions won't be answered the way people are assuming. At this point last year, everyone had 'Bama written into the title game in permanent ink and it didn't turn out that way. That ink this year has the winner of Bama/LSU there and maybe it will happen. If it doesn't turn out that way, you could probably see some of the signs in these early games that everyone is glossing over. I only really care about OU and we all see things that could trip us up later if our team doesn't improve.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2011, 10:57 PM

Really?

The game was 27-21...then a kick off return for a TD happened for LSU making it 34-21. This after is was 27-7 at half time.

That is hardly having complete control the entire game.

LSU was in trouble the second half until that kick off return completely took the wind out of the sails for WVU. And lets not forget that Geno Smith fumbled in the 4th quarter when WVU was moving down the field. That fumble resulted in a Touchdown for LSU

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/29/2011, 11:56 PM
Can't decide which is better at D, Bama or *****cats, but it's amazing how both can be so dominate, yet have opposite styles.

LSU build with speed, and forcing TO, while Bama is just massive. Their front 7 is the largest I have ever seen. Their LB are huge. Not sure how that will work out against a fast offense.

Iam4OUru
9/30/2011, 09:02 AM
Can't decide which is better at D, Bama or *****cats, but it's amazing how both can be so dominate, yet have opposite styles.

LSU build with speed, and forcing TO, while Bama is just massive. Their front 7 is the largest I have ever seen. Their LB are huge. Not sure how that will work out against a fast offense.

We'll find out in about 36 hours.

Iam4OUru
9/30/2011, 09:46 AM
Really?

The game was 27-21...then a kick off return for a TD happened for LSU making it 34-21. This after is was 27-7 at half time.

That is hardly having complete control the entire game.

LSU was in trouble the second half until that kick off return completely took the wind out of the sails for WVU. And lets not forget that Geno Smith fumbled in the 4th quarter when WVU was moving down the field. That fumble resulted in a Touchdown for LSU

I agree. With their last TD, WVU had LSU's defense on it's heels and had caused a huge momentum swing. That return broke their will....especially since they had Claiborne pinned to the sidelines and let him escape.

IMO, LSU has not played what I would call a decent defense. But, even a good defense cannot overcome turnovers at the rate that LSU has been gettin' 'em. They are a part of the game and I have to give LSU credit for capitalizing on them. I am just not yet convinced that their offense is all that

oudavid1
10/2/2011, 02:20 AM
No problem. At this point in the season, every team still has questions if you look closely. It doesn't mean those questions won't be answered the way people are assuming. At this point last year, everyone had 'Bama written into the title game in permanent ink and it didn't turn out that way. That ink this year has the winner of Bama/LSU there and maybe it will happen. If it doesn't turn out that way, you could probably see some of the signs in these early games that everyone is glossing over. I only really care about OU and we all see things that could trip us up later if our team doesn't improve.

I think the one thing overlooked in college football is also the most exciting element of it. The fact that it is played by younger people who have enough on their plate as it is with class/football/social/girls. Its hard to stay focuses and get up for every game the same way. Not to mention that home field advantage is almost everything in college ball.