PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 should go to 14 schools...

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2011, 10:15 PM
I got this from rivals, not my idea or work, but I don't think it is a bad idea actually.....

Think about it... OU wants to move upward academically.

Well.... There is a Rice and Tulane sitting there looking at you. Both in Large Market Cities..

Think about it.

Big XII West
OU
Texas
OSU
Texas Tech
Baylor
Rice
TCU

Big XII EAST
KU
KSU
Mizzou
Tulane
Louisville
Memphis
South Florida

Memphis...
Memphis Television Market Size: 48 (((OKC is 45)))
Enrollment:23,000
The CEO of FedEX said he would "Boone Pickens" up the U-Of Memphis if an AQ Conference Picked them up. They already are good in Basketball and are sitting in the Middle of a recruiting hotbed. They are a sleeping Giant.

South Florida....
Orlando Television Market Size: 19
Enrollment: 47.000
Buy in on this growing school and get a foot in in the State of Florida (The SEC doesn't mind getting a foot in the door in Texas, Right aTm??). Growing Football program. Big TV Market. Both for the taking.

Louisville...
Television Market Size: 50
Enrollment: 20,000
Another Television Market "Footprint" with good basketball and capable Football. Also another Institution in "SEC Territory".

Rice:
Houston TV Market.
Brains. (If OU wants to rub elbows with Cal and Stanford it can settle for these guys)

Tulane:
South Louisiana (New Orleans / Baton Rouge)
Brains again (see Rice)

I see a workable future for basketball, football, and academic prestige in this scenerio. Opening new Markets for Television Contracts and a better opportunity for Football "balance" between divisions. What say you?

The only thing I disagree with is, TCU. Instead of TCU, why not BYU? If Rice is added, we dont need another Texas school.

silverwheels
9/26/2011, 10:22 PM
Conference USA+

BigTip
9/26/2011, 10:22 PM
I would comment that it's not a bad idea, sort of the "a strong offensive is the best defense" idea. Don't just maintain and get by, but go out and get big and improve. Interesting.

But I won't say that because I don't want to get yelled at for talking about realignment in not the realignment thread.:beguiled:

SCSooner71
9/26/2011, 10:26 PM
I like the South Florida idea

silverwheels
9/26/2011, 10:27 PM
Also, South Florida is in Tampa, Central Florida is in Orlando.

kevpks
9/26/2011, 10:29 PM
I'm a big fan of adding South Florida. There is a lot of upside with that program: big school, decent success, and a recruiting hotbed. As far as Memphis goes I recall the CEO of Fed Ex once said he'd make a huge donation to any BCS conference that took Memphis. Assuming Texas doesn't steal it all, that would be alright I guess.

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2011, 10:37 PM
Well, Boren made it cleat that he would love to rub elbows with Cal and Stanford. Rice and Tulane would help.

I think the Big 12, needs to also start something like the BiG has in the CIC.

cantwait48
9/26/2011, 10:55 PM
as long as we are staying it works for me

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/26/2011, 11:14 PM
I think it's better to add some "filler" schools to get us to 12+ schools than to stay at 9 schools.
And there are several schools who are "good enough" to add. Memphis is a great example off if they had major conference money could become good.
You have to think long term here (5-10 years) that these schools will get better and more competitive with big conference money. Look at osu, give them enough money and they become adequate.

I like the idea of the Big12 splitting up East and West, and adding some schools from the east, like USF, WVU, Cinncy, Memphis....etc. All of these schools are on the verge of being consistent quality teams.

silverwheels
9/26/2011, 11:16 PM
Filler schools do nothing for revenue, though. They take more than they contribute.

delhalew
9/26/2011, 11:39 PM
Surprisingly, I don't hate that at all.

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/26/2011, 11:42 PM
Filler schools do nothing for revenue, though. They take more than they contribute.

Well since we don't have equal revenue sharing, we might as well take advantage of it. Those schools I listed would be getting a raise if we gave them just 6-7 million a year. And more than they would get if the Big East dissolved.

sperry
9/26/2011, 11:49 PM
Getting to 12 is what we should do, both for on the field product and because I think we are really going to need a conference championship game in the future. Unfortunately, the almighty dollar will likely dictate that neither of these happen.

Personally, I'm getting ridiculously sick of college football becoming big business and completely driven by money. If I want to watch the best commercialized football money can buy, the NFL already does that. Wouldn't mind if the IRS stepped in and threatened to take away tax exempt status in order to make the entire purpose of college football stop being to make as much money as possible.

BoomerJ
9/27/2011, 01:08 AM
As far as Rice, Tulane, and Memphis go I would have to say hell to the no. What do they bring besides Memphis has basketball? I think it would be nice to return to 12 and possibly more, but we all know that money..uh...football is the driving force here. Why not go for the tougher football programs as of late: TCU, South Florida, Boise St., BYU, West Virginia.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 01:13 AM
As far as Rice, Tulane, and Memphis go I would have to say hell to the no. What do they bring besides Memphis has basketball? I think it would be nice to return to 12 and possibly more, but we all know that money..uh...football is the driving force here. Why not go for the tougher football programs as of late: TCU, South Florida, Boise St., BYU, West Virginia.

Boise State would actaully be a drain on the conference.

Rice...academics.
Tulance....academics

They may not be great at athletics, but Boren wants to be in a conference that has some academic clout as well. I would like to see the Big 12 be more than just an athletic conference. Be something like the Big 10 with the CIC.

sooner59
9/27/2011, 01:19 AM
No.

sooner KB
9/27/2011, 01:37 AM
Who the h*ll cares if the conference has a couple teams from schools with a little better academics? How does this improve the University of Oklahoma in any way at all? Does anyone really think about academics when OU plays football? Is playing Tulane and Rice in sports supposed to impress people? If we started playing Harvard, Yale, etc every year would people forget and start thinking OU was an ivy league school? This football program (and other sports) deserve to compete with other quality programs.

ouflak
9/27/2011, 02:22 AM
Who the h*ll cares if the conference has a couple teams from schools with a little better academics? How does this improve the University of Oklahoma in any way at all? Does anyone really think about academics when OU plays football? Is playing Tulane and Rice in sports supposed to impress people? If we started playing Harvard, Yale, etc every year would people forget and start thinking OU was an ivy league school? This football program (and other sports) deserve to compete with other quality programs.

Now if we could just convince Boren of this obvious truth.

Oh, and yeah, do try to keep the conferencere-alignment stuff in the sticky thread above.

Sooner_Tuf
9/27/2011, 03:06 AM
The problem I see with this is it creates a division that has very little chance of winning. Much like the Big XII North became cannon fodder for the south. A recipe for disaster down the road.

Sooner in Tampa
9/27/2011, 05:35 AM
I like the South Florida idea

I LOVE the USF idea...OU playing right here in Tampa every other year!!!!

USF is a great school...9th largest in the country, they play in an NFL Stadium (Raymond James -- so there are beer sales during the game), Hillsborough county has TONS of D1 talent (OU has a commit from Armwood this yr), and most importantly Skip Holtz has a damn good team...and they are only going to get better!

swardboy
9/27/2011, 05:56 AM
I like USF, BYU, and Memphis for TEH win! 12 teams.

DrZaius
9/27/2011, 06:03 AM
This is all good and there are plenty of teams that would be a good fit. Unfortunately the schools can only perform simple math. Money/10 > Money/14. This dictates all conference decisions which is the reason everyone was glad to stick to 10 or even 9 now that A&M is gone.

colleyvillesooner
9/27/2011, 07:16 AM
Dint think our TV contract will allow us to stay at 9, thus the search committee. Only issue now is are we looking or 1 or 2 teams

Rocker
9/27/2011, 07:41 AM
I got this from rivals, not my idea or work, but I don't think it is a bad idea actually.....

The only thing I disagree with is, TCU. Instead of TCU, why not BYU? If Rice is added, we dont need another Texas school.

Where's Iowa State?

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2011, 07:50 AM
Where's Iowa State?

heh.

rock on sooner
9/27/2011, 07:59 AM
Good question about ISU...nearly 30k on campus,really good ag and engineering school, very good women's BB, rising (again)football
program and been in the conference for a long time...don't think ISU should be kicked to the curb.

EatLeadCommie
9/27/2011, 08:11 AM
So we go from 9 to 14, replacing NU, CU, and aTm with the likes of TCU, USF, Louisville, Rice, Tulane, and Memphis.

No thanks. That kind of disproves the old adage that there is strength in numbers. Frankly, that conference would suck. Rice, Tulane, and Memphis are all HORRIBLE. USF is up and down. Louisville has been in decline since their Orange Bowl win a few years ago. TCU is ok, but adds no television sets, which is the whole thing surrounding this idea. Also, apart from Rice and maybe TCU and Tulane, those schools are academic disasters. Academics will play a factor in any expansion talk.

jk the sooner fan
9/27/2011, 08:58 AM
love the USF idea as well - not a big fan of Rice, Memphis or Tulane. and by "not a big fan", i Mean 'NO THANKS" - but Louisville - while not doing much for the football - does a whole bunch for the basketball

we're at 9 now - we need three to get back to 12.....i'd be midly happy with BYU, USF and Louisville

I dont think TCU wants any part of the big 12, or vice versa - not sure why really but thats what the papers here in dallas lead me to believe

OklahomaTuba
9/27/2011, 09:20 AM
I like the East/West part of this. Let's us scoop up the remaining Big-East/MWC schools. But I wouldn't add Tulane or Rice, and get TCU (a great get for OU in terms of another DFW game for recruiting) and the stormin mormans (a no brainer at this point).

Big XII+2 West
OU
Texas
OSU
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
BYU

Big XII+2 EAST
KU
KSU
Mizzery
ISU
West By God Virginia
Louisville/Cincinnati/Memphis?
South Florida

I know these are mid-majors, today. But programs like TCU, USF, etc will continue to grow, built tradition, etc.

CBUS_SOONER
9/27/2011, 09:41 AM
guys, academics has nothing to do with all this mess. its about $$$$$$$

Breadburner
9/27/2011, 09:46 AM
Air force.....Northern Illinois.....and the Hogs.....

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/27/2011, 09:56 AM
Anyone know how the conference, and the teams involved lose by not having a championship game now?

SoonerMom2
9/27/2011, 10:15 AM
What better honor to LeRoy Selmon than have USF join the Big 12. Add UCF and you have two schools from the same state.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 10:18 AM
I LOVE the USF idea...OU playing right here in Tampa every other year!!!!

USF is a great school...9th largest in the country, they play in an NFL Stadium (Raymond James -- so there are beer sales during the game), Hillsborough county has TONS of D1 talent (OU has a commit from Armwood this yr), and most importantly Skip Holtz has a damn good team...and they are only going to get better!

If they are a member of the Big 12, then no beer sales at the stadium during games.

At least that was how it was during the 2008 Conference championship in Kansas City.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 10:19 AM
This is all good and there are plenty of teams that would be a good fit. Unfortunately the schools can only perform simple math. Money/10 > Money/14. This dictates all conference decisions which is the reason everyone was glad to stick to 10 or even 9 now that A&M is gone.

Yet, if you add schools from bigger markets, like USF, BYU, Memphis, and others, you tend to get more money because of more TV sets.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 10:20 AM
love the USF idea as well - not a big fan of Rice, Memphis or Tulane. and by "not a big fan", i Mean 'NO THANKS" - but Louisville - while not doing much for the football - does a whole bunch for the basketball

we're at 9 now - we need three to get back to 12.....i'd be midly happy with BYU, USF and Louisville

I dont think TCU wants any part of the big 12, or vice versa - not sure why really but thats what the papers here in dallas lead me to believe

So would Memphis.

Sooner98
9/27/2011, 10:21 AM
Why, as a fan of OU, should I care about academics in this discussion? Are we afraid that fans of other schools are going to shout the Theory of Relativity at us, or recite the Periodic Table to us when we visit their stadium? Are we looking to build a powerhouse chess program? Is this what it has come to - we are now excited that OU could be in a conference with Rice and Tulane because of academics? Blech.

FriscoTXsooner
9/27/2011, 10:21 AM
I think if we were to expand, the East/West split works if you want to have an annual game with Texas, however if you go with the North/South, you need to separate OU and Texas, and this would limit the RRS to every other year, but would probably have OU and Texas meeting each year in the conference championship game. Which would give the Big XII a good chance of being in the NC most years. This is because of the Sooner dominance and not the Whorns!

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 10:27 AM
Why, as a fan of OU, should I care about academics in this discussion? Are we afraid that fans of other schools are going to shout the Theory of Relativity at us, or recite the Periodic Table to us when we visit their stadium? Are we looking to build a powerhouse chess program? Is this what it has come to - we are now excited that OU could be in a conference with Rice and Tulane because of academics? Blech.

So because you never have stepped foot in an OU classroom, we should throw the academics of Student-Athletes to the curb?

Yes, there are a few that attend school for the purpose of the school to be their D-League for the pros.

You do know that less than 2% of the student athletes go pro, right? Meaning the vast majority of student-athletes rely on their scholarship to gain their degree and work toward their future. But, yeah, lets just throw out the chance, or a chance to get a better, education to the wayside since this is sports we are talking about.

A lot of conferences (not just in D-1) have plans set in place for each school to meet certain criteria on the academic side of things when it comes to conference affiliation. So why would it be so bad to have some schools in our conference that could help lead the way to make each and every school better in the education department?

stoopified
9/27/2011, 10:35 AM
Can't see adding Rice or Tulane.AFA,Cincinatti , Houston,and even West Virginia are better options

Sooner Tri
9/27/2011, 10:37 AM
Why go to 14 schools? Why not jump straight up to 16 and be the first conference to establish itself as a 'Super Conference'. Four pods of four teams, with OU & tx in different pods.
I think this would set the Big 12 up for the future, and prevent getting folded into another conference when the rest of them inevitably start going to 16. Play from out front instead of behind!

Eielson
9/27/2011, 10:39 AM
I actually like adding Louisville, Memphis, and South Florida. I'm not an expert on this whole deal, but I think they could easily carry their weight on the financial side. Louisville and Memphis would add a lot for basketball, and with the added perks of being in the Big XII, I think their football could soon be at the level of the three schools that departed. As for the three other schools being added in this scenario, I'm not a big fan of those. Texas and academics are two things I don't think we need more of.

OULenexaman
9/27/2011, 10:41 AM
Where's Iowa State? my 1st thought too...a quiet eviction?

Sooner98
9/27/2011, 10:43 AM
So because you never have stepped foot in an OU classroom, we should throw the academics of Student-Athletes to the curb?

Yes, there are a few that attend school for the purpose of the school to be their D-League for the pros.

You do know that less than 2% of the student athletes go pro, right? Meaning the vast majority of student-athletes rely on their scholarship to gain their degree and work toward their future. But, yeah, lets just throw out the chance, or a chance to get a better, education to the wayside since this is sports we are talking about.

A lot of conferences (not just in D-1) have plans set in place for each school to meet certain criteria on the academic side of things when it comes to conference affiliation. So why would it be so bad to have some schools in our conference that could help lead the way to make each and every school better in the education department?

Who said I've never stepped foot in an OU classroom?

I just don't see how getting Rice and Tulane into the Big 12 somehow gives the U. of Oklahoma some sort of huge boost in academic prestige, and if there is some little benefit to it, how that would outweigh the overall prestige of, say, moving to the SEC (which I have advocated all along). The SEC would actually be an academic step up from the Big 12, by the way.

OklahomaTuba
9/27/2011, 10:45 AM
Perhaps its the expectation of the B1G picking off ISU when they expand to 16? (B16?)

Eielson
9/27/2011, 10:46 AM
We're still considered a pretty good academic school despite being associated with OSU for all these years, so...

jk the sooner fan
9/27/2011, 10:46 AM
So would Memphis.

very true, but they just recently got hammered by the NCAA for infractions......i think? i dunno- i acknowledge their contribution in basketball but i dont think it goes beyond that at all

Eielson
9/27/2011, 10:58 AM
very true, but they just recently got hammered by the NCAA for infractions......i think? i dunno- i acknowledge their contribution in basketball but i dont think it goes beyond that at all

Memphis hasn't done so well recently, but not long ago they went to bowl games 5 out of 6 years (2003-2008). Being added to a conference like the Big XII would give them much better recruiting than being in Conference USA, and it sounds like that Fed Ex guy could pour a lot of money into the program. I don't think great athletes would hesitate at all to go to a school like Memphis once they joined a BCS conference. I think Memphis is kinda considered a "cool" school among teenagers, mainly because of their basketball, but they've also produced some players like DeAngelo Williams and Isaac Bruce over the years.

Sco
9/27/2011, 11:05 AM
The answer is not to raid the Conference USA. We need to go after bigger programs in the Big East and/or Independents. Why would we want to add more Texas schools to the conference - that doesn't increase our footprint or income and hurts our recruiting strategy throughout the conference.

12 should be the goal. I love the idea of USF and BYU. Cincinnati would also give us Ohio, which would be awesome.

delhalew
9/27/2011, 11:13 AM
I think the most exciting among those is USF, although I could easily be talked into Memphis. I have no problem with WVU.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 11:13 AM
Who said I've never stepped foot in an OU classroom?

I just don't see how getting Rice and Tulane into the Big 12 somehow gives the U. of Oklahoma some sort of huge boost in academic prestige, and if there is some little benefit to it, how that would outweigh the overall prestige of, say, moving to the SEC (which I have advocated all along). The SEC would actually be an academic step up from the Big 12, by the way.

I assumed that is what you meant when you said, "as a fan of OU." Most people that have attended a school would say something like, "since I am an alumni and fan."

I know, assuming. But if you are an alumnus, you would love the idea of their academics getting better and would support it, or one would think so!

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 11:14 AM

So, because a team gets in trouble with the NCAA, they shouldn't be allowed to be a member of the Big 12?

Well, OU, OSU, Texas, Kansas, etc should leave the conference now!

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 11:15 AM
We're still considered a pretty good academic school despite being associated with OSU for all these years, so...

We are?

jk the sooner fan
9/27/2011, 11:51 AM
So, because a team gets in trouble with the NCAA, they shouldn't be allowed to be a member of the Big 12?

Well, OU, OSU, Texas, Kansas, etc should leave the conference now!

not quite what i said

my point is that if you're inviting NEW members to the conference, looking at a weak wounded team on probation, or just fresh off if it - may not be the smartest idea

sperry
9/27/2011, 11:57 AM
12 won't happen. Too much greed, and apparently OU and Texas generate essentially all of the revenue for the conference, so every time we subtract a member, each school gets more money.

TMcGee86
9/27/2011, 12:10 PM
As much as I, living in Houston, would love to add Rice and get a game in Houston every other year that would not only be a cakewalk but an easy ticket to purchase in a fun atmosphere, the Big12 should not add Rice.

They are barely hanging on to their athletic programs as it is. They don't bring in revenue, and the administration is all anti-athletics. They will be lucky to have a football team in ten years, much less be a valid member of the conference.

Sooner1972
9/27/2011, 12:17 PM
Sounds like a second coming of C-USA. There are some decent travel locations mentioned, and the schools listed would be easy wins in places that tickets would be easy to come by. I'd obviously rather go to another conference, but if we have to stay in this hellhole we might as well make it a little more enjoyable.

CarolinaSoonerFan
9/27/2011, 12:27 PM
Why not try and bring in some of the ACC schools? They expect to get raided by the SEC, so why don't we beat them to the punch. I do like the idea about USF though.

the-rover
9/27/2011, 12:31 PM
If we're going to add teams from the SE area, why not Southern Mississippi? Huge recruiting area there. Add Memphis, Louisville, Cinncinatti, West Virginia and stay the heck out of texas!

IronHorseSooner
9/27/2011, 12:34 PM
Here's an idea, for football, merge the remain Big East and Big XII teams. Either Mizzou or WVU will end up being team #14 in the SEC, and we could be the first to go to 16 teams.

OUwinsagain
9/27/2011, 12:50 PM
I LOVE the idea of South Florida! Get back at the SEC in a way. Open up the recruiting pipelines to Florida!! The School is the 9th largest in the country as far as enrollment goes and they have hot cheerleaders!

tcrb
9/27/2011, 12:56 PM
Except for USF....

Grasping.
at.
straws.

PalmBeachSooner
9/27/2011, 01:16 PM
The question is how can the Big XII expand without diluting the share of money that's going to its current members? If you can answer that question then you can answer who will be invited to join. This has always been about money and it will always be about money.

stoopified
9/27/2011, 03:32 PM
If we're going to add teams from the SE area, why not Southern Mississippi? Huge recruiting area there. Add Memphis, Louisville, Cinncinatti, West Virginia and stay the heck out of texas!Not a bad idea BUT I would stll consider TCU as well.

badger
9/27/2011, 03:53 PM
Pickens opened his big fat mouth again to lament the potential of losing Mizzou to the SEC. Seriously, I wish the billionaire would STFU already, but I suppose owning and operating a college athletic program makes him feel like Jerry Jones or something. meddle meddle meddle :rolleyes:

8timechamps
9/27/2011, 04:20 PM
Unless or until the college football rules are changed to add a debate portion to the games, I don't give a rat's *** how wonderful the new member schools are academically. It's about the product on the field.

sooner KB
9/27/2011, 05:23 PM
I know, assuming. But if you are an alumnus, you would love the idea of their academics getting better and would support it, or one would think so!

Can you please explain how playing Tulane and Rice in sports would make the academics of OU any better? Thanks.

BillyBall
9/27/2011, 05:26 PM
No.

This.

sooner KB
9/27/2011, 05:36 PM
And by the way, Tulane is not that impressive academically. They rank right behind Washington, Penn St, Wisconsin, and Texas, and just ahead of Texas A&M. Good academic school, but nothing to drool over and sacrifice the strength of the conference over.

AlbqSooner
9/27/2011, 06:07 PM
Another nice thing about adding South Florida is that when they first addressed the question of whether to start a football team they formed a committee to study the feasibility. The chairman of that committee was a senior loan officer at then First Florida Bank - LeeRoy Selmon.

LASooner
9/27/2011, 06:14 PM
12 won't happen. Too much greed, and apparently OU and Texas generate essentially all of the revenue for the conference, so every time we subtract a member, each school gets more money.

That's like the Kids in the Hall skit where the boss fired everyone because the bottom line kept going up, then after everyone was gone, he felt the best move at that point was to fire himself.

sooner KB
9/27/2011, 07:16 PM
Lets consider the all-time win-loss record, bowl record, stadium size, and academic ranking (US News & World Report) of each of the contenders mentioned in this thread. To me, stadium size is the best measurement. Not only because of the stadium itself and how many tickets they can sell, but because it is a good indicator of how much money their program has brought in, how successful they've been over a period of time, the size of their fan base, etc. Therefore, I'll order the list by stadium size. It should be strongly noted that Tulane and South Florida play in NFL stadiums, so those schools are "cheating" a bit.

I think it would be better to go by win-loss record since 1970 or something like that, but I'm too lazy to look any of that up.

Tulane

483-554-38 (.467)
4-7
69,073 (Louisiana Superdome)
50th of National Universities

South Florida
103-62-0 (.624)
4-2
66,321 (Raymond James)
181st of National Universities

BYU
484-369-26 (.565)
11-17-1
71 of National Universities

Memphis
432-449-33 (.491)
4-3
Unranked National University (2nd Tier)

West Virginia
694-454-45 (.601)
13-16
164th of National Universities

Air Force
337-278-13 (.547)
10-10-1
33rd of National Liberal Arts Colleges

Louisville
431-411-17 (.512)
7-7-1
164th of National Universities

TCU
581-512-57 (.530)
12-14-1
97th of National Universities

Rice
428-548-32 (.440)
4-4-0
17th of National Universities

Southern Miss
548-371-27- (.594)
9-8
Unranked National University (2nd Tier)

Cincinnati
552-553-51 (.500)
5-6-0
143rd of National Universities

Boise State
368-144-2 (.718)
7-4
67th of Regional Universities (West)

Now, who do you eliminate? I say first eliminate those schools that are not a 1st tier national university academically. I wasn't sure how to consider Air Force in this regard, but they are Air Force, which has to count for something. So I'll leave them. Out of the ones left, I'll eliminate the two schools with less than .500 all-time winning percentage. That means Tulane and Rice are out. Sorry, I just don't think their academics really helps OU. Out of the ones that are left now, I'll eliminate the one that only has a 35,000 capacity stadium (Cincinnati).

This leaves WVU, Louisville, South Florida, BYU, TCU, and Air Force. I personally think WVU should be a shoe-in, with the 700+ all-time wins they will have after this season, and the 13 bowl game wins which tops the list. What the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th as a backup in case Mizzou bolts) teams should be is an interesting question. Louisville brings basketball, BYU brings a big market, TCU brings a currently successful football program, the benefits of South Florida have been mentioned in this thread. Hard to decide.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2011, 09:52 PM
Can you please explain how playing Tulane and Rice in sports would make the academics of OU any better? Thanks.

Are you really this stupid?

The comment was about academics, not sport.

sooner KB
9/28/2011, 10:49 AM

The comment was about academics, not sport.

Once again, please explain how playing Rice and Tulane would have any effect or impact on anything. I would like to here it.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2011, 11:11 AM
Houston is preferable over Rice or Tulane. Houston is a bigger school than OU is enrollment wise.

And SMU for the hot methodist girls.

badger
9/28/2011, 11:15 AM

Seriously man, lighten up. You've been coming very mean-spirited to a lot of posters lately.

soonergirlNeugene
9/28/2011, 12:23 PM
I also like SF in this conference but w/ those divisions, West>>>East. Needs more balance imo

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 03:05 PM
And by the way, Tulane is not that impressive academically. They rank right behind Washington, Penn St, Wisconsin, and Texas, and just ahead of Texas A&M. Good academic school, but nothing to drool over and sacrifice the strength of the conference over.

Tulane is in that AAU thingy. Maybe they'll get a Pac-12 or Big Ten invite.

starclassic tama
9/28/2011, 03:43 PM
Seriously man, lighten up. You've been coming very mean-spirited to a lot of posters lately.lately? dude is always roid ragin'

badger
9/28/2011, 03:44 PM
lately? dude is always roid ragin'

You be nice, too :)

In fact, EVERYONE BE NICE! Undefeated season! Top ranking in the poll that matters! Awesome team! Awesome coaches! Awesome players! Awesome walk-on!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/28/2011, 04:44 PM
If OU is really expecting conference affiliation to change their academic reputation I now know why we are so poorly ranked nationally.

3DSooner
9/28/2011, 09:07 PM
Okay-

So that's settled. Somebody call Texas and get permission to do this!

sooner KB
9/28/2011, 10:07 PM
Tulane is in that AAU thingy. Maybe they'll get a Pac-12 or Big Ten invite.

Iowa State, Texas A&M, Kansas, Colorado, and Mizzou are also in the AAU.

soonercoop1
9/29/2011, 04:40 PM
There aren't 4 quality teams that could or would choose to be added to replace those 3 lost....thats why this conference is done...

silverwheels
9/29/2011, 05:42 PM
If Texas and the smaller schools want it to stay together, then it will stay together.

8timechamps
9/29/2011, 05:44 PM
If Texas wants it to stay together, then it will stay together.

I fixed it for you.

YWIA

silverwheels
9/29/2011, 05:46 PM
I fixed it for you.

YWIA

Mostly true, but the smaller schools could still threaten with litigation, so I included them as well, since they have nowhere else to go if the Big 12 collapses.

PLaw
9/29/2011, 08:57 PM
The Big 2 / Little 12 mid-major.

OU seriously needs to reconsider the SEC. If for no other reason, as a short term stepping to a better academic conference while this * dung heap melts down.

BOOMER

sooner KB
9/30/2011, 03:06 AM
West

OU
OSU
Texas
Tech
BYU
TCU

East

WVU
Louisville
South Florida
Clemson
Kansas
KSU

You're welcome.

Clemson isn't elitist enough academically to shrug off the Big 12. They know the ACC will probably be raided by the SEC. So there you have it. Yeah, and kick out Baylor and ISU. They belong in the MWC or C-USA anyways.

Sco
9/30/2011, 10:04 PM
^Clemson with $20 million in exit fees? I don't think so.

Sooner1972
9/30/2011, 10:20 PM
Why would Clemson leave the ACC for this quagmire? Will never happen.

I like the idea suggested above for a short-term move to the SEC. Why not rest our hat there for a couple of years, with the understanding both ways that we might head elsewhere sometime down the road?

sooner KB
9/30/2011, 11:06 PM
^Clemson with $20 million in exit fees? I don't think so.

Did I say Clemson? I meant Air Force.

West:
OU
OSU
Texas
Tech
TCU
BYU
Air Force

East:
WVU
Louisville