PDA

View Full Version : SEC Kool-aid - inside the numbers

prrriiide
9/26/2011, 09:52 PM
Why has LSU passed OU in the AP? The on-the field results don’t seem to justify it.

As of Friday night, the following stats were true:

Missouri was ranked the #12 rushing offense, with a 253 ypg average. OU held them slightly below their average. 241 yards is WAY too many, but it’s still under their average. WVU was the #115 ranked rushing offense, averaging 76.5 ypg. LSU held them to 70. Again, slightly below their average. You can’t point to a dominant run D when the team wasn’t running the ball anyway! OU’s rushing defense was ranked 54th, averaging 132 ypg. OU gave up half again as much as their average. The thing is…so did LSU! They came into the game with the #4 ranked rushing D, giving up an average of 53 ypg. You would think that with such a fearsome rushing defense as LSU has, and with the pitiful state of WVU’s rushing offense, WVU would have been held to less than LSU’s average! Instead, OU is being filleted for allowing too high of a rushing total from a team that is extremely tough running the ball!

Missouri had the #39 ranked passing offense, averaging 264 ypg. Vs. OU, they had 291, or about a 10% increase in passing production. WVU had the #3 ranked passing offense, averaging 383 ypg. They hung 463 on LSU, or an increase of about 20% over their normal passing production. Not exactly a dominating performance by the LSU D. OU’s passing defense was ranked #96, giving up an average of 260 ypg. Again, MU threw for 291, still only about a 10% overage from the average. LSU, on the other hand, came in with a #79 pass offense ranking, averaging 236 ypg. WVU blistered them for 463 yards – an increase of a whopping 96%, or nearly doubling their average ypg allowed through the air.

Missouri came in with a total offense ranking of #12, averaging 517 ypg. OU allowed 532, or 3% above their average. WVU came into the game sporting a #24 total offense ranking, averaging 459 ypg. The 533 yards allowed by the LSU D represent a 16% increase for the Mountaineer’s offensive production. Oklahoma had the #82 ranking in total defense, with a 393 ypg average. MU’s 532 yards represent a 35% increase in yards allowed from the average for the OU D. BUT…LSU came in with a #20 total D ranking, allowing 289 ypg. The 533 yards that WVU laid on them represents an 85% increase in yards allowed over their average by LSU.

Missouri was averaging 36 ppg in scoring offense, good for a 5-way tie for 33rd (ironically, including OU). MU’s 28 points represents a 23% decrease in point total from average. WVU came in ranked #29 in scoring offense at 36.75 ppg. Their 21 points represents a 33% reduction from the average point total, and is the only category where LSU had a clearly better outing than OU. OU came in as the #29-ranked scoring D, averaging 18 ppg. The 28 points that MU scored is a 55% increase from the norm. LSU came in with a #14 scoring offense ranking, averaging 14 ppg. WVU’s 21 points is a 33% increase from their average.

OU could have and should have had a better night Saturday. But to say that LSU did their job and OU didn’t is a straight up lie. On balance, LSU’s D had a worse outing than OU’s.

SoonerKnight
9/26/2011, 10:00 PM
Agreed!

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2011, 10:00 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC!

We need to just realize that the SEC is the king of media slobber and the best Professional league in the Nation!

sperry
9/26/2011, 10:04 PM
LSU won by 26 on the road. OU won by 10 at home and played like crap. You can't expect the voters not to notice. It didn't help anything that Florida St. lost.

SoonerKnight
9/26/2011, 10:08 PM
They did not watch! They saw the score and voted that is all! :jaded:

Frozen Sooner
9/26/2011, 10:15 PM
LSU won by 26 on the road. OU won by 10 at home and played like crap. You can't expect the voters not to notice. It didn't help anything that Florida St. lost.

This.

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2011, 10:32 PM

WVU had 4 turnovers that killed 4 of their drives.

LSU's offense did not score all their points. Their defense created a crap load of points for their pathetic offense.

In fact, average starting drive line of scrimmage: LSU 45.5 yard line, or they averaged starting damn near at the 50 yard line.

LSU also punted 6 times...They had 1 ST touch down.

LSU got the benefit of having WVU turn the ball over way too many times. WVU was doing what they wanted too when they kept the ball secure.

Does it look like LSU dominated? yes. But to a point. WVU play a mistake free game, the game would have been a lot closer..and who knows if the game would have had a different winner of not.

LSU has been benefiting all season so far on their defense and special teams.

In two weeks, their undefeated season ends when they travel to UF. They will also likely lose to Alabama and I wouldn't be surprised if Arky gives them a possible 3rd loss. Luck, that is the only thing making LSU look good this year.

If OU and LSU played right now, IMBO, OU would win!

silverwheels
9/26/2011, 10:35 PM
UF goes to Baton Rouge. LSU will end up in the BCS title game just because it's in New Orleans. And I think they would beat OU.

Frozen Sooner
9/26/2011, 10:50 PM
WVU had 4 turnovers that killed 4 of their drives.

LSU's offense did not score all their points. Their defense created a crap load of points for their pathetic offense.

In fact, average starting drive line of scrimmage: LSU 45.5 yard line, or they averaged starting damn near at the 50 yard line.

LSU also punted 6 times...They had 1 ST touch down.

LSU got the benefit of having WVU turn the ball over way too many times. WVU was doing what they wanted too when they kept the ball secure.

Does it look like LSU dominated? yes. But to a point. WVU play a mistake free game, the game would have been a lot closer..and who knows if the game would have had a different winner of not.

LSU has been benefiting all season so far on their defense and special teams.

In two weeks, their undefeated season ends when they travel to UF. They will also likely lose to Alabama and I wouldn't be surprised if Arky gives them a possible 3rd loss. Luck, that is the only thing making LSU look good this year.

If OU and LSU played right now, IMBO, OU would win!

So you don't give LSU any credit for forcing those turnovers? Or for scoring on special teams? They also beat a pretty good Oregon team.

I'd like nothing more than to see LSU lose in Tuscaloosa, by the way, though I think that moves Alabama to #1 ahead of OU (assuming Alabama doesn't lose in Gainesville on Saturday, which I think is a distinct possibility). I'd much rather play Alabama in New Orleans. If OU keeps winning, we'll be either #1 or #2.

boomersooner28
9/26/2011, 11:00 PM
You will hear the SEC lovefest until somebody beats their *** in a National Championship game. Hopefully that will happen this year...by us!

Zin
9/26/2011, 11:09 PM
LSU is looking good and lets face it, the SEC has been winning national championships. I have no problem with LSU being ahead of OU, if I wasn't biased I would vote LSU ahead of OU as well.

Besides, OU controls its destiny.

BlownGP
9/26/2011, 11:29 PM
Good stats priiide

Im not jumping on this. I got into it enough with local forum loaded with SEC swingers...
Tired of it really.
Somebody other then a SEC team needs to win this year to shut them up a while..Hell at this point I dont care if its Boise State.lol

I wish I could say we would beat down bama or LSU and I think we can contain there offesne, but I just think there D will shut down our O;i.e. Florida 2008...

But unlike that team, this crew has faced some tough games, lost games and came back to win games. So we have a chance..lol

Sco
9/26/2011, 11:36 PM
Rankings don't really matter this early on in the season.

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2011, 11:55 PM
They did not watch! They saw the score and voted that is all! :jaded:

You could be right. Normally, everyone watches the #1 team in primetime, but it was directly opposite LSU/WVU. OU did play poorly at times and got off to a slow start. But they effectively won by 17 anyway giving up a meaningless score with less than 1 min to go. But even if everyone watched, the FSU loss really took the shine off last week.

UF goes to Baton Rouge. LSU will end up in the BCS title game just because it's in New Orleans. And I think they would beat OU.

I would agree with you if they played today. We have 9 games to change that tune.

BoomerJ
9/26/2011, 11:59 PM
I'd like to see Les Miles staring in a new Dos Equis comercial playing "The Luckiest Coach In The World".

LASooner
9/27/2011, 01:18 AM
The AP.....DOES.....NOT....MATTER

Sooner_Tuf
9/27/2011, 03:30 AM
I don't know that LSU beats OU. If the tired looking Sooners show up that played Missouri I think LSU wins. But if the upbeat in your face Sooners show up I don't think LSU has enough Offense to win that game.

LSU special teams are very good. Frequently that is enough to tip the scales to make a team very hard to beat.

Sooner in Tampa
9/27/2011, 05:29 AM
Rankings don't really matter this early on in the season.
^^^^ THIS

It's stupid to argue about rankings in September!!!

bigfatjerk
9/27/2011, 05:36 AM
LSU's offense isn't good enough to go undefeated and they won't cause a ton of turnovers against everyone they play.

bigfatjerk
9/27/2011, 05:38 AM
LSU special teams are very good. Frequently that is enough to tip the scales to make a team very hard to beat.

I hate how people say OU's special teams is bad just because the fg kicking isn't great. OU's great in punt and kickoff coverage so far. Great in punting. Has a great punt returner that nobody will punt towards. Kickoff returning isn't but then again we haven't had that many returns. And our FG kicking hasn't really been an issue this year.

picasso
9/27/2011, 07:39 AM
Right now, yeah. Not so sure if we wait until January.

We will get better.

Anyone talk about Navy nearly beating South Carolina? Nope. Nada.

Okie35
9/27/2011, 07:46 AM

LSU won't beat Alabama. They'll struggle with UF, they may even struggle with Tennessee (as usual). Either way I think we can beat LSU based on the fact that if we shut down their run game its pretty much over. Our offense just can't be too complacent.

NormanPride
9/27/2011, 08:20 AM
Bama's offense isn't good enough to go undefeated and they won't cause a ton of turnovers against everyone they play.
Yup.

Spray
9/27/2011, 09:01 AM
All those numbers are great, but what do your eyes tell you? And the answer to that could go either way, or even tell you that Bama is #1. Or Boise. Or Oklahoma State (okay, if your eyes told you that, I would suggest a check-up)

thecrimsoncrusader
9/27/2011, 09:15 AM
Conferences don't win national championships, teams do.

delhalew
9/27/2011, 10:07 AM
By January, I expect to confident going against Bama or LSU.

Okie35
9/27/2011, 10:35 AM
LSU's offense isn't good enough to go undefeated and they won't cause a ton of turnovers against everyone they play.

Exactly.

By January, I expect to confident going against Bama or LSU.

I would LOVE for it to be Boise State.

PDXsooner
9/27/2011, 10:45 AM
Bottom line: Until someone beats the top dog in the SEC in the title game (list of victims below), you're gonna keep hearing it.

2003 - OU
2006 - Ohio St
2007 - Ohio State
2008 - OU
2009 - Texas
2010 - Oregon

Sco
9/27/2011, 11:07 AM
I'm calling it right now - no one in the SEC will go undefeated this year. First victim could very well be this Saturday - I think Florida has a great chance to take out Alabama.