PDA

View Full Version : Questions about our secondary?

trpltongue
9/26/2011, 03:21 PM
After re-watching the game, and watching the first 2 games of the season, it seems like Gabe Lynn can be an all-star on one play, and then wiff on the next. He makes some amazing open field tackles at times, and can cover like a jacket, but then other times he's biting on play action repeatedly, or letting his receiver run right past him and getting burned. Am I the only one seeing this? I like the kid because he has a ton of talent and can make some fantastic plays, but my father in law who was watching the mizery game with us at one point asked me if he was a freshman? Said he was surprised that BV hadn't pulled him out of the game.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing what I'm seeing, or if I'm just over sensitive to our secondary with them being rather young and inexperienced.

SoCal
9/26/2011, 03:29 PM
My wife had to leave the house because she got tired of me yelling #$%#@$%$! at #9!

En_Fuego
9/26/2011, 03:30 PM
There has been talk of this on numerous threads.

htownsooner7
9/26/2011, 03:31 PM
I have the same questions. I would hope that if we bring in a corner to shut down a slot receiver, that he can do a better job than was done on Saturday.

Widescreen
9/26/2011, 03:37 PM
Fleming hasn't been awesome but he almost wasn't here at all this year so we should be thankful for that.

Breadburner
9/26/2011, 03:50 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?159804-We-are-looking-BAD!!!

KantoSooner
9/26/2011, 04:41 PM
a couple of pedestrian observations:

1. Our coverage was getting faked pretty badly at times. I really don't want to be hearing about 'McCoy to Shipley across the middle' yet one more gd time in two weeks.

2. Our DLine was getting very little penetration and not much pressure on the QB. Maybe they had been told to stay home to run protect, but Franklin connected on many passes because he had something like 90 seconds to stand in the pocket and watch his receivers run around until somebody got open.

3. Okay, so the DLine stayed home to run protect....except they didn't do such a hot job at that.

I'll agree with the Tulsa World and give the D a D- on this game.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/26/2011, 05:06 PM
What about Jefferson? I think he has been average against the run (overrunning plays and missing tackles) and below average against the pass...but maybe I'm just crazy.

cccasooner2
9/26/2011, 05:14 PM
After re-watching the game, and watching the first 2 games of the season, it seems like Gabe Lynn can be an all-star on one play, and then wiff on the next. He makes some amazing open field tackles at times, and can cover like a jacket, but then other times he's biting on play action repeatedly, or letting his receiver run right past him and getting burned. Am I the only one seeing this? I like the kid because he has a ton of talent and can make some fantastic plays, but my father in law who was watching the mizery game with us at one point asked me if he was a freshman? Said he was surprised that BV hadn't pulled him out of the game. I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing what I'm seeing, or if I'm just over sensitive to our secondary with them being rather young and inexperienced.

I have never seen Lynn cover like a jacket. In fact I've never seen him cover anything. Even in two-a-days, it didn't matter who he was covering he was ALWAYS beaten badly. When Fleming was hurt for a couple of plays against FSU, I was holding my breath until his return. Sure enough the camera was on him as he was three paces behind the wide open receiver. Fortunately, the ball was uncatchable 5 yds out of bounds. He does well in run support, but that's about it. Wasn't he the one chasing Washington into the EZ from about 5 yds away?

thecrimsoncrusader
9/26/2011, 05:30 PM
There has been talk of this on numerous threads.

So what's your point?

thecrimsoncrusader
9/26/2011, 05:30 PM
McCoy to Shipley wasn't jack ship in the 2009 season.

En_Fuego
9/26/2011, 06:01 PM
So what's your point?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/Ani_04/thguest_point_finger.jpg

En_Fuego
9/26/2011, 06:08 PM
From another thread

Lynn got abused on 3 of their 4 TD drives. Like I said above, they got some favorable matchups on our #5 defensive back. When you play man coverage with no safety over the top, that is going to happen. Everyone has been screaming for more man coverage for the last decade, well this is what happens in man coverage when you have a coverage mismatch.

:pop:

VA Sooner
9/26/2011, 06:34 PM
Definitely some issues here... lots of game film and review, Mr. Lynn.