PDA

View Full Version : Nex Mexico coaching vacancy

badger
9/26/2011, 02:58 PM
Any OU assistants have a chance at landing the open job? Yes, there's an interim there now, but how bout at season's end?

Here's another possibility thrown out there: Mike Leach to New Mexico. (http://www.lostlettermen.com/9-26-2011-mike-leach-new-mexico/)

If that were to happen, I'd endorse any "New Mexico to Big 12" talk. It'd give Landry a trip home too if he decided to stay his senior year.

BillyBall
9/26/2011, 03:07 PM
Artesia is far closer to Lubbock than Albuquerque

OUHOMER
9/26/2011, 03:10 PM
Mike leach would not take NM, he waiting for rick neuheisel to get fired and take over UCLA

sooneredaco
9/26/2011, 03:12 PM
I'm from New Mexico, I'll do it

BillyBall
9/26/2011, 03:13 PM
Artesia is far closer to Lubbock than Albuquerque

You are wrong, it's only a 40-50 mile difference. I guess I thought it was more because the number of kids that go either to Tech or NM State compared to UNM.

UNM would have to throw quite a bit of money around to land Leach. They might though, Steve Alford is paid well. Albuquerque had never been much of a football town though.

sooneredaco
9/26/2011, 03:15 PM
You are wrong, it's only a 40-50 mile difference. I guess I thought it was more because the number of kids that go either to Tech or NM State compared to UNM.

UNM would have to throw quite a bit of money around to land Leach. They might though, Steve Alford is paid well. Albuquerque had never been much of a football town though.

New Mexico as a state isn't big on football. Seems to have more of a basketball following

the-rover
9/26/2011, 03:21 PM
I'm from New Mexico, I'll do it

Me too...in a heartbeat

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/26/2011, 03:22 PM
I know UNM is not great in athletics, but I would love to see UNM in the Big XII. Way more than SMU.

badger
9/26/2011, 03:28 PM
Albuquerque had never been much of a football town though.

New Mexico as a state isn't big on football. Seems to have more of a basketball following

Tech had the same problem --- they didn't care about football either time I came to Lubbock. Didn't even sell out their stadium when OU came to town those times (I think that was 2003 and 2005). But, oh man, when Gameday is in town and Tech is undefeated hosting big brother Texas, THEN they suddenly cared and rushed the field three times to prove it! :rolleyes:

They need a coach that can bring football excitement to New Mexico and Mikey needs a coaching job. I'm sure money will not be the obstacle that holds them apart if they're meant to be together --- UNM will offer more than they might want and Leach will accept less than he was would get at a BCS program to make it happen... so it could happen!

crawfish
9/26/2011, 03:32 PM
If they hire Mike Leach, I hope they get into the Big 12 so Leach can beat Tech every year.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2011, 03:37 PM
If we have to settle for New Mexico joining the big 12, I'm gonna shoot myself in the face with a bazooka

badger
9/26/2011, 03:42 PM
If we have to settle for New Mexico joining the big 12, I'm gonna shoot myself in the face with a bazooka

I'm not saying they be the only invite. I'm saying they could be one of several.

Their statistics don't suck. 35k students. "The Pit" basketball arena holds 17k and has averaged more than 15k per game during its tenure, yet the team hasn't had comparable success to its attendance (don't even see a Sweet 16 on their track record). It's like Penn State's football team: 100k+ football attendance even with a losing record!

The football program has room to expand. 38k stadium capacity and lots of losing lately. However, they did win a bowl game in 2007 and have had some NFL-bound Lobos over the years, including Big Bear Brian Urlacher.

sooneredaco
9/26/2011, 03:53 PM
It would be cool to go see OUr Sooners playing ball there.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2011, 04:05 PM
I'm not saying they be the only invite. I'm saying they could be one of several.

Their statistics don't suck. 35k students. "The Pit" basketball arena holds 17k and has averaged more than 15k per game during its tenure, yet the team hasn't had comparable success to its attendance (don't even see a Sweet 16 on their track record). It's like Penn State's football team: 100k+ football attendance even with a losing record!

The football program has room to expand. 38k stadium capacity and lots of losing lately. However, they did win a bowl game in 2007 and have had some NFL-bound Lobos over the years, including Big Bear Brian Urlacher.

They are the worst team in a lower level conference..The worst in the MWC...Their basketball crowd is as big as the football crowd..

That would be like adding North Texas.

SoonerKnight
9/26/2011, 04:07 PM
Meh! I don't see leach going there. Either UCLA or Arizona.

SCSooner71
9/26/2011, 04:11 PM
We better give Bob another raise before he jumps all over that!:smug:

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/26/2011, 04:31 PM
They are the worst team in a lower level conference..The worst in the MWC...Their basketball crowd is as big as the football crowd..

That would be like adding North Texas.

Or SMU...or Boise State...or Houston...or Air Force...or TCU...or Rice...or anyone else. They all suck as replacements for Colorado, Texas A&M, and Nebraska.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2011, 04:33 PM
If they could add TCU, BYU, and potentially Houston, I wouldn't say it would be a fare trade off but closer than New Mexico and anyone else..At least those teams have been relevant to football in recent history.

BillyBall
9/26/2011, 04:52 PM
If they could add TCU, BYU, and potentially Houston, I wouldn't say it would be a fare trade off but closer than New Mexico and anyone else..At least those teams have been relevant to football in recent history.

I got my MBA at UNM and I can tell you as a student that games are almost a non-event. It would make a game at Baylor look like OU-TT circa 2008.

I will say that the basketball atmosphere at the Pit is MUCH better than Lloyd Noble though.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/27/2011, 12:26 AM
You mean UNM finally pulled the plug on the guy. He had problems on and off the field.

Sooner_Tuf
9/27/2011, 03:36 AM

It's 170 miles to Artesia from Lubbock vs 325 miles to Albuquerque.

New Mexico seems to be more into green chilis, burritos, and firewater than any athletics.

jellyfish
9/27/2011, 04:10 AM
MIGHT be a short visit. Once Lane is out at usc, then Steve leaves UW, then it should be Seattle for Leach.

AlbqSooner
9/27/2011, 07:02 AM
Don't look for UNM to make a wise decision on a replacment for Locksley. At the time the were looking and hired Locksley, a big booster told me that Bob Davie expressed an interest. He was willing to accept a 2 year contract at $750K, with the provision that if they wanted to renew at the end of that contract he would get $1 million. The opted for Locksley instead. As a result Locksley brought them a record that puts them at the bottom of the BCS with three lawsuits against Locksley and the University.

Basketballwise, Steve Alford has done well and, as mentioned, they sell more season tickets for BBall than football.

Oh yeah, from Norman to Albq is 8-8 1/2 hours driving, depending on the number of orange barrels on I-40.

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2011, 08:10 AM
You guys scoffing at adding UNM to the Big XII aren't looking at the big picture. I mean, just imagine the t-shirt possibilities.

http://epicbuy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/wolf_shirt_zoom.gif

badger
9/27/2011, 08:17 AM
You guys scoffing at adding UNM to the Big XII aren't looking at the big picture. I mean, just imagine the t-shirt possibilities.

http://epicbuy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/wolf_shirt_zoom.gif

Tres lobos!...um... what's the word for moon? Luna? LUNA! Um... TRES LOBOS LUNA! :D

Sooner_Tuf
9/27/2011, 09:18 AM
Thats not the moon, it's the PAC16 :(