PDA

View Full Version : A tragety of the highest order

SoonerTerry
9/26/2011, 01:17 PM
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1059479--disabled-pickering-boy-took-his-own-life-after-he-was-mugged-and-bullied?bn=1

Disabled Pickering boy took his own life after he was mugged and bullied

By his 11th birthday, Mitchell Wilson had already endured a lifetime of pain.

He was 8 when his mother died of cancer three years ago.

Were you a bully or bullied as a kid? We want to hear from you. Email [email protected] with your stories.
The next year he was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, a degenerative and incurable disease that was slowly destroying his muscles and would one day leave him paralyzed.

PHOTOS: The life of Mitchell Wilson

And last November, while on one of his prescribed daily walks, Mitchell was jumped by a 12-year-old boy he knew from his elementary school in Pickering. The older child, who was after the iPhone Mitchell borrowed from his father to listen to music while he walked, smashed Mitchell’s face into the pavement so hard he broke some of the boy’s teeth.

The attack, Mitchell’s parents say, led their son on a downward spiral which culminated in his suicide earlier this month.

“He was never the same after the mugging,” said Mitchell’s father, Craig Wilson, who found his son’s lifeless body on Sept. 6 — a plastic bag tied around the young boy’s head — when he went to wake him up for what would have been his first day of Grade 6. “Ultimately it shattered his life.”

The alleged mugger was arrested the day after the attack, charged with assault and removed from Westcreek Public School.

But the older boy’s friends remained, and they blamed Mitchell for getting their friend in trouble — following him home from school and taunting him about his slow and laboured gait.

Meanwhile, the spectre of the attack continued to haunt Mitchell, who had grown fearful of walking alone and began to suffer severe anxiety and panic attacks.

While there is no known cure for muscular dystrophy, one of the treatments is to stay as active as possible to delay the deterioration of muscles; inactivity accelerates their ruin.

Once a proud stroller, Mitchell walked less and less. His mobility decreased and he needed more help to accomplish tasks that had once been easy.

For the first time in his life, his father says, Mitchell was beginning to foresee a time when he could no longer walk. “That in turn created more depression, more anxiety.”

Mitchell became prone to uncharacteristic emotional outbursts, fights with his parents and temper tantrums.

When a few weeks after the alleged attack he said he would rather kill himself than continue to go to school, Wilson and Mitchell’s stepmother, Tiffany Usher, sought counselling and psychiatric treatment.

But their son would not open up about his feelings and treatments were unsuccessful.

As the summer wore on, Mitchell became increasingly anxious.

The start of a new school year is an especially high-risk time for youth and teen suicide, which remains the second-leading cause of death for Canadians aged 10 to 24.

Christopher Howell, a 17-year-old Hamilton student, killed himself two days after Mitchell following years of being bullied, according to his mother.

But Wilson is reluctant to attribute his son’s suicide to any single factor.

He thinks Mitchell had post-traumatic stress — exacerbated by the bullying — as well as a deepening depression about his disability.

“It was a combination of everything that ultimately caused Mitchell to take his own life.”

Wilson is also hesitant to blame Westcreek Public School for the torment his son suffered. The principal removed the accused mugger as soon as he was charged, and paired Mitchell up with an older student mentor to protect him.

“But schools can always do more for disabled kids,” Wilson added, shrugging.

On Labour Day, hours before Mitchell killed himself, he was served with a subpoena to testify against his alleged assailant on Sept. 28. Mitchell was terrified of having to face the other boy in court, his father says.

Now the charges may be dropped because Mitchell can no longer testify. Wilson and his wife say they have been told by the Crown’s office it is unlikely the case will go ahead without Mitchell.

Although they have little faith in the justice system, they are hoping for a compromise: in exchange for the charges to be dropped, they want the accused boy to be ordered to do community service for people with disabilities and — most importantly — be forced to listen to their victim-impact statements.

“I need this kid to understand the impact he’s had on this family . . . I want him to choose a different route than the one he’s on, a different path in life.”

Wilson is also hoping that by speaking to the media, visiting schools and telling Mitchell’s story he can prevent other kids from being bullied and educate people about what it’s like to live with a disability.

“Ultimately everybody has to be nicer to each other.”

ENDNOTE:

If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts, or if you are in distress and need to speak with someone, please call one of the city’s crisis support lines:

Toronto Distress Line: 416-408-4357

Survivor Support Program: 416-595-1716

www.torontodistresscentre.com

OutlandTrophy
9/26/2011, 02:48 PM
that's terrible. WTF is wrong with people?

KantoSooner
9/26/2011, 02:51 PM
I hope the little shiit who beat this kid recovers and does something with his life.

On the other hand, I've played with a legal concept for some time in which perpetrators receive, as part of their punishment, a stripping of their legal protections. Literally define them as 'not human' under the law. Whatever anyone wants to do to them, free ball! It's essentially drawn from English Common Law's banishment. In this case, the perp would simply be meat for whoever wanted to abuse him. Old Testament, in a way, but also deeply 'just'.

SicEmBaylor
9/26/2011, 03:08 PM
I hope the kid is repeatedly anally raped before he's released.

OUHOMER
9/26/2011, 03:29 PM
I hope the kid is repeatedly anally raped before he's released.
I dont think more bulling will help the situation, but i do hear where your coming from.

Do unto others as you have them do unto you vs. Eye for an Eye?

badger
9/26/2011, 03:32 PM
I'd say that the thought of knowing he was partially responsible for someone's death would be enough punishment, but some people just don't realize when they've done something wrong and if they're willing to bash someone's head in for a stupid iPhone, maybe they don't think it's their fault (even partially) the kid got depressed and committed suicide.

SicEmBaylor
9/26/2011, 04:01 PM
I dont think more bulling will help the situation, but i do hear where your coming from.

Do unto others as you have them do unto you vs. Eye for an Eye?
I'm an eye-for-an-eye type guy.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2011, 04:08 PM
I always wonder about the parents in these situations..

My son is 5 years old and I'm already telling him we don't treat people bad...And if he does, he'll be in serious trouble..

Tulsa_Fireman
9/26/2011, 04:16 PM
But do you back it up by kicking the **** out of him?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2011, 04:18 PM
Oh no, I don't kick him.

lexsooner
9/26/2011, 05:23 PM
I'd say that the thought of knowing he was partially responsible for someone's death would be enough punishment, but some people just don't realize when they've done something wrong and if they're willing to bash someone's head in for a stupid iPhone, maybe they don't think it's their fault (even partially) the kid got depressed and committed suicide.

Some people have little to no conscience and/or just can't take personal responsibility for their actions. Prisons are full of people who were "victims" of conspiracies, discrimination, the Man, "caught a charge" or "fell in with a bad crowd" [note the passive tone of these statements].

achiro
9/26/2011, 05:42 PM
I always wonder about the parents in these situations..

My son is 5 years old and I'm already telling him we don't treat people bad...And if he does, he'll be in serious trouble..
In addition to not treating others badly, never let what someone else says have any sort of power over you. Bullies look for a victim, don't be a victim. Be powerful, be strong, so what if someone can beat you up, those bruises will heal, don't let it do more to you than that.

SoonerTerry
9/27/2011, 07:25 AM
We have the house on the block where all the neighborhood kids play. The kids know the fastest way to **** off Mr. E is to pick on one of the other kids there. The thing I always say is "We treat each other with dignity and respect". I hope that its make at leats a bit of a difference.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/27/2011, 07:57 AM
I was the kid that was always bullied. Has it really gotten that much worse, or are parents and schools starting to take it more seriously? I didn't tell my parents 90% of the stuff kids said/did to me, especially in junior high and high school.

GrapevineSooner
9/27/2011, 08:28 AM
I was the kid that was always bullied. Has it really gotten that much worse, or are parents and schools starting to take it more seriously? I didn't tell my parents 90% of the stuff kids said/did to me, especially in junior high and high school.

Well, I'm 35. And I got moderately bullied until my senior year in high school.

But I knew as soon as I came home, that would be a safe haven. Because we didn't have the Internet back then.

These days, the bullying extends to social media, such as Facebook and Twitter.

And as far as how to deal with it as a parent, we've taught our daughter from the first day she set foot in pre-school that we won't tolerate her bullying other kids. And if other kids tried to bully her by taking her book or toys, we told her to tell the teacher. And failing that, punch the bully back.

Which is what she did to some poor kid who tried to take her book one day.

She's in the 3rd grade now and she's taking Tae Kwon Do.

Moreso because she enjoys doing it. But it's also good to know she'll be able whip out a can on somebody if the situation calls for it.

Obviously, the poor kid who took his life in Canada was severely limited by self defense options.

Which is also why I'll teach her that using Tae Kwon Do can be used to defend those who can't defend themselves.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/27/2011, 09:06 AM
I think it's good that you are teaching your daughter to defend herself. So much of the time, kids are taught that violence is not an option. However, sometimes it is the only thing a bully will understand.

My nephew had been getting bullied and my brother told him to defend himself because the teacher's answer was just for them to work it out among themselves. He ended up wailing on the kid the next time he got bullied.

What gets me are the parents that act like "oh well" when it's brought to their attention that their kid is a bully or they lead the charge - like that mom who made up the fake Facebook account to torment that girl her daughter didn't like.

Sooner_Tuf
9/27/2011, 09:23 AM
Bullies understand violence. The fact that most of them aren't very old makes it really easy to kick their little butts.

MsProudSooner
9/27/2011, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately, some kids seem to be born with a bullying personality and others are born with a personality that won't let them take up for themselves. My grandson is 15 months old. There was a kid in his day care group that was bigger than all the others and regularly tried to push them around and take the toys they were playing with. One day, he tried to take the toy my grandson was playing with. Something in his one year old brain said, "Not this time!" and he bit the bigger kid! Now, no one wants to encourage their kid to bite and my daughter was appalled. I told her it would be easier to teach him not to bite than it would be to teach him to take up for himself if he wasn't so inclined.

marfacowboy
9/27/2011, 09:34 AM
That's so sad. I remember a lot of mean kids when I was growing up. I learned pretty quickly there was only one way to deal with them.
I had a first cousin that was handicapped. She had Friedreich's Ataxia, a progressive neuro-muscular disease similar to MS. Struck her when she was ten. This bully at the pool used to make fun of her. I guess she was 12, and I was 13. I told him what would happen if he did it again. He didn't believe me, and kept on running his mouth. So, I jumped in the pool (at a country club) and beat the snot out of him.
I recently learned from a mutual acquaintance that he became a doctor and a fine person. He sure wasn't then, however. Maybe that whipping changed his attitude.

SicEmBaylor
9/27/2011, 09:48 AM
That's so sad. I remember a lot of mean kids when I was growing up. I learned pretty quickly there was only one way to deal with them.
I had a first cousin that was handicapped. She had Friedreich's Ataxia, a progressive neuro-muscular disease similar to MS. Struck her when she was ten. This bully at the pool used to make fun of her. I guess she was 12, and I was 13. I told him what would happen if he did it again. He didn't believe me, and kept on running his mouth. So, I jumped in the pool (at a country club) and beat the snot out of him.

I recently learned from a mutual acquaintance that he became a doctor and a fine person. He sure wasn't then, however. Maybe that whipping changed his attitude.

Some people just need a good *** kicking. There was a kid in my class growing up that was disabled. Something happened to him when he was being delivered that made him very slow and gave him a gimp arm. I wouldn't say he was mentally retarded but probably close to it. Anyway, he's exactly the kind of kid that you would expect to get picked on a lot. But my class, even as young as 2nd grade, was always very very kind to this poor kid. I never heard an instance of him getting picked in those 12 years. We had our reunion a few weeks ago and he showed up. He remembered everyone's name and gave us all a hug when he saw us.

Anyway, there were definitely some kids that got picked on here and there but for the most part I neither saw nor experienced serious bullying growing up. I'm sure it happened, but I never saw or heard about it.

Pricetag
9/27/2011, 09:53 AM
I remember an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" where there was an awful bully at the school house. Everyone tried to deal with him for the whole episode. Finally, at the end, all the kids beat him down with their lunch buckets. I don't understand why stuff like this doesn't happen more often. The overwhelming majority of folks hate bullying, but they never actually band together to snuff it out.

Heh, found it:

HoOosWcB6gY

That Willie Olson was a turd, but even he got it right there at the end.

achiro
9/27/2011, 10:29 AM
Then you hear stuff like this. A mom trying to protect her kid from bullies is the one in trouble.
http://www.fox26medford.com/entertainment/kiah-online-dish-mom-banned-from-sons-school-after-confronting-bullies-story,0,5871110.story

yermom
9/27/2011, 10:37 AM
**** that.

my kid would magically not be at the school the rest of the year either

kids need to understand that there is always someone badder than they are, be it cops or whatever

OhU1
9/27/2011, 10:44 AM
Then you hear stuff like this. A mom trying to protect her kid from bullies is the one in trouble.
http://www.fox26medford.com/entertainment/kiah-online-dish-mom-banned-from-sons-school-after-confronting-bullies-story,0,5871110.story

In most of these kind of parent vs. school stories I'm usually sympathetic to the school because I know today's parents think their kid can do no wrong and they attack the teacher or bus driver who disciplines their bratty monster of a child. Here we have an apparent failure to act by the school and a parent who stepped in but did not go too far IMO.

The parent in this case needs to press her case to the school board - at least to raise awareness of the problem. Bullying persists when adults don't act.