PDA

View Full Version : LHN pushing ahead with showing H.S. game highlights

emersonbiggins
9/26/2011, 11:34 AM
Mods, please merge if this is a dupe.

Dave Brown, LHN vice president for programming and acquisitions, has made a pitch to four Texas television affiliates in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston, offering to trade two-minute, LHN-produced clips in exchange for the station's high school football game highlights. LHN sent out a clip of Longhorns quarterback Garrett Gilbert as a leader, after he was benched. ESPN said Houston station KTRK agreed, but San Antonio's KSAT turned down the LHN offer.

per Austin American-Statesman (http://m.statesman.com/statesman/pm_21988/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=JY5wjFNA)

FtwTxSooner
9/26/2011, 11:37 AM
So much for all those concessions Boren said we had.

Tear Down This Wall
9/26/2011, 11:47 AM
So much for all those concessions Boren said we had.

We have no concessions. It's all talk to cover up Pac-12 pulling the rug out from under Boren and Castiglione. Now, if they would only stand up again and call the SEC.

daboman of Aggieland
9/26/2011, 11:49 AM
Texas doesn't compromise. They bully. It's what they have always been and what they will always be. The moment the remaining Big 12 schools sign the six year agreement, Deloss Dodds has zero incentive to negotiate with the special committee.

I like Norman. I make it up every other year for the OU baseball series. I would love to see you guys in the SEC.

badger
9/26/2011, 11:57 AM
The NCAA needs to stick their nose in this ASAP if the Big 12 et al can't put their foot down by themselves. Hell, let's all turn Bevo in. The NCAA has already said NO to school-affiliated networks showing high school games, highlights, etc!

Tear Down This Wall
9/26/2011, 12:00 PM
Texas doesn't compromise. They bully. It's what they have always been and what they will always be. The moment the remaining Big 12 schools sign the six year agreement, Deloss Dodds has zero incentive to negotiate with the special committee.

I like Norman. I make it up every other year for the OU baseball series. I would love to see you guys in the SEC.

The funny thing is people in Oklahoma think Boren is a great politician. DeLoss has no political experience whatsoever and whips him at every turn. Funny...not.

Soonerfan88
9/26/2011, 12:11 PM
The NCAA needs to stick their nose in this ASAP if the Big 12 et al can't put their foot down by themselves. Hell, let's all turn Bevo in. The NCAA has already said NO to school-affiliated networks showing high school games, highlights, etc!

NCAA is still not sure. We probably won't have a final answer until their Director's meeting next springs. From Dallas Morning News on 26 Aug:

The NCAA on Friday issued a statement that may clear the way for the airing of high school football highlights on the Longhorn Network.
“The NCAA is monitoring content on the Longhorn Network and its new coverage of high school sports,” the statement read. “With respect to NCAA bylaws … acceptable content is limited to scores, statistics, standings and news video used to report those details.
“We will continue to monitor the Longhorn Network to determine if the content is produced within those guidelines.”

Ton Loc
9/26/2011, 12:15 PM
So if they can get away with this, then what's stopping us from having our own network and showing our own highlights? If we're to be stuck in the Big 12 another 6 years lets at least get our own network out of it.

CBUS_SOONER
9/26/2011, 12:15 PM
if true, we need to cut ties with them

FtwTxSooner
9/26/2011, 12:17 PM
So if they can get away with this, then what's stopping us from having our own network and showing our own highlights? If we're to be stuck in the Big 12 another 6 years lets at least get our own network out of it.

We have integrity.

kevpks
9/26/2011, 12:21 PM
I like how you can't show a visiting recruit on the jumbotron at a football or basketball game but you can show highlights on a University network. That makes a lot of sense. The NCAA needs to shut the door on this.

daboman of Aggieland
9/26/2011, 12:23 PM
I don't think that any school can come up with enough content to fill a 24/7 "network." The Big Ten has struggled with 11 teams (pre-Nebraska) to fill their network. There is a limit to how many times you can replay the same volleyball game.

If the Big 12 had had the foresight to make it's own network when the Big Ten did theirs, we might still have Nebraska and be completely intact.

The cool thing about the Big Ten network, to me at least, is being able to watch non-revenue sports, and in HD. I am a huge Aggie Baseball fan. I would love to be able to see road series in HD. We are one of the top three NCAA baseball conferences and had something like six games televised nationally last season... disgraceful.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/26/2011, 01:15 PM
We have integrity.

wasnt their plans of a Sooner network too?
Dont be so quick to paint us on the high road here. I can see us doing the same thing if whorn doesnt back down from this

SoonerinSouthlake
9/26/2011, 01:23 PM
Here is something Im surprised I havent heard.

Why are groups of Sooners, Aggies, Hornedfrogs, Red Raiders, etc etc etc not being vocal about boycotting cable companies who pick up LHN???

I dont know 'bout you guys in other areas...but between, ESPN proper, Sports Radio Stations in Dallas, and EVEN THIS MESSAGE BOARD, Im being inundated with LHN Advertising. So the are clearly spending a lot of capital on spots that tell people to "call their cable provider and tell them to pick up LHN

If all the whorn haters start communicating to their cable company that they will switch providers if the LHN shows up...Seems like that thwart efforts to shove this POC down our throats

sooner518
9/26/2011, 01:33 PM
Here is something Im surprised I havent heard.

Why are groups of Sooners, Aggies, Hornedfrogs, Red Raiders, etc etc etc not being vocal about boycotting cable companies who pick up LHN???

I dont know 'bout you guys in other areas...but between, ESPN proper, Sports Radio Stations in Dallas, and EVEN THIS MESSAGE BOARD, Im being inundated with LHN Advertising. So the are clearly spending a lot of capital on spots that tell people to "call their cable provider and tell them to pick up LHN

If all the whorn haters start communicating to their cable company that they will switch providers if the LHN shows up...Seems like that thwart efforts to shove this POC down our throats
because there arent enough people that would do it to make the cable providers care.

and you are getting hit with LHN advertising on this site because this site, along with half the internet, uses targeted advertisements based on websites you have looked at in the past. So if youve looked at anything regarding the LHN, or been to the LHN website, or been to hornfans or UT sports site, theyll think youre interested in the LHN and that ad will show up for you.

Try getting adblock extension for Chrome or Firefox.

badger
9/26/2011, 01:37 PM

I heard Aggie is already doing this enough to cover every other d@mn fanbase in the Texas area vicinity.

The thing that really seems to be convincing providers to not pick up Bevo TV is the reported 40 cents per subscriber pricetag. ESPN is notorious for overcharging for its network and cable companies probably welcome the chance to give them the finger.

pac10SUX
9/26/2011, 01:39 PM
“The NCAA is monitoring content on the Longhorn Network and its new coverage of high school sports,” the statement read.

How the heck are they going to monitor LHN when no provider carries it? :fat:

NCAA might actually become the first subscriber.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/26/2011, 02:06 PM
because there arent enough people that would do it to make the cable providers care.

and you are getting hit with LHN advertising on this site because this site, along with half the internet, uses targeted advertisements based on websites you have looked at in the past. So if youve looked at anything regarding the LHN, or been to the LHN website, or been to hornfans or UT sports site, theyll think youre interested in the LHN and that ad will show up for you.

Try getting adblock extension for Chrome or Firefox.

they dont have to call...just have to have someone who is good with social networking to get a ton of followers on twitter and FB...Like that kid did a few years back trying to get people to vote for whorn instead of us in poll (I know it didnt work but he made a difference and got a lot of pub)

daboman of Aggieland
9/26/2011, 02:24 PM
A number of posters on Texags.com cancelled Grande Communication (cable company) in San Marcos when they added the LHN. They went as far as to write Grande and tell them that they had lost a customer and their $$$ because they added the LHN. I have DirecTV and can't imagine that they will ever add it.

Sooner98
9/26/2011, 02:29 PM
Boy, I sure am glad that our "demands" were all met.

:rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
9/26/2011, 02:31 PM
Cox Communications is the dominant cable provider in Oklahoma. I doubt they see the point in adding it here anyway.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/26/2011, 04:55 PM
Cox Communications is the dominant cable provider in Oklahoma. I doubt they see the point in adding it here anyway.

I can understand in Oklahoma.

Just in Texas, especially in Dallas, I know there are tons of Sooners and Ags.

I wish there'd be some concerted effort to encourage non-whorns to be proactive. With Facebook and Twitter it gotta be doable.....and effective

Keller Sooner
9/26/2011, 05:31 PM
I have Verizon FIOS. When they picked up the lhn, I called and told them I didn't want it and if they charged me I was cancelling my subscription. I was told I would not be charged. I got my first bill since and sure enough it does not cost me. I haven't even turned to their channel, and never will. If they ever start to charge me Verizon is out of here.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/26/2011, 05:46 PM
I have Verizon FIOS. When they picked up the lhn, I called and told them I didn't want it and if they charged me I was cancelling my subscription. I was told I would not be charged. I got my first bill since and sure enough it does not cost me. I haven't even turned to their channel, and never will. If they ever start to charge me Verizon is out of here.

I think thats a good thing that you called. Really think if people are vocal about it...the cable companies will get the message and not pick it up.

If companies dont pick it up...it'll eventually fail

theresonly1OU
9/26/2011, 07:08 PM
I think thats a good thing that you called. Really think if people are vocal about it...the cable companies will get the message and not pick it up.

If companies dont pick it up...it'll eventually fail

All due respect, no it won't; ESPN/Disney isn't going to sink $300 mil into anything they aren't dedicated to long term. My feeling is the creation of the LHN was to get a foothold in the new frontier of a 24/7 school network, and could care less if it remains a dismal failure.

I'm just glad I live in OKC and don't have to put up with it for the forseeable future.

FtwTxSooner
9/26/2011, 07:15 PM
ESPN will likely play hardball when their carrier contracts are up. ESPN will raise their price to the cable company and force them to pick LHN up by bundling it with the rest of their channels. The cable company will have the choice of agreeing to ESPN's demands, or explaining to their customers why they no longer can get ESPN. On the other hand, ESPN doesn't want to lose a bunch of subscribers. Its all a big game of chicken.

LHN will appear sort of like channels such as BET end up in everyone's package, but nobody watches it.

King Barry's Back
9/26/2011, 07:20 PM
wasnt their plans of a Sooner network too?
Dont be so quick to paint us on the high road here. I can see us doing the same thing if whorn doesnt back down from this

The problem is that our network is not going to have the "world's leader in sports" pimping us all the time. That is why we are at a disadvantage.

What I don't quite get is how/why TX gets away with everything. They only have one vote. The other schools can still overrule them. Why are we/they such p*ssies?

SoonerinSouthlake
9/26/2011, 07:39 PM
All due respect, no it won't; ESPN/Disney isn't going to sink $300 mil into anything they aren't dedicated to long term. My feeling is the creation of the LHN was to get a foothold in the new frontier of a 24/7 school network, and could care less if it remains a dismal failure.

I'm just glad I live in OKC and don't have to put up with it for the forseeable future.

maybe you are right.

just dont see the harm in trying when some freshman with a good grasp of facebook, twitter and every other social network could probably get the attention of abot half a million peops from several universities that are chapped about this.

MI Sooner
9/26/2011, 08:11 PM
Have OU fans turned into a bunch of whiners? If Texas isn't violating an NCAA bylaw, more power to them in trying to air HS highlights if they think that will help recruiting. If they are violating the NCAA rules, then the NCAA will handle it. It's not like they can sweep their network's broadcasts under the rug (as much as cable/satalite carriers seem to be trying). I'm ashamed of the jealousy and butthurt our fans have displayed during this last trip on the realignment merry-go-round. We have obvious disadvantages compared to Texas is recruiting base, population base, affiliated state schools, and academics. But we've hung with them on the field -- winning bigger more often than they have and since we've been in the same conference, beating them both head to head and dominating in conference championships.

We were perfectly fine with unequal revenue distribution and school-branded networks. Now because they got theirs giftwrapped by ESPN and we have to develop ours, we go out and demand that Kansas get the same revenue as us? Great ****ing move, Boren. I really don't have too much of a problem with us negotiating as best we can to limit whatever natural advantages Texas has, but we need to realize it's merely looking out for our best interests, and not some goddamn morality play with Texas as the dastardly villan and OU on its white horse. There are no permanent alliances, only permanent interests, and people need to grow up and realize that everyone is merely looking out for their best interests, as they should.

bluedogok
9/26/2011, 10:08 PM
The funny thing is they can't get Time Warner to pick it up and they are the dominant provider in Austin and San Antonio.