PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M to join SEC in July 2012

Okie35
9/25/2011, 05:10 PM
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—The Southeastern Conference says Texas A&M is set to be join the league next year.

The SEC announced Sunday that the move will be effective next July, and says Texas A&M will participate in all sports during the 2012-13 academic year. That gives the SEC 13 members and its first addition since South Carolina and Arkansas in 1992.

The Aggies’ defection from the Big 12 had bhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=Ap7YI2imX0j63.UEfOQbuCo5nYcB?slug=ap-sec-texasameen held up with threatened legal action from Baylor and other schools. The statement released by the SEC did not mention that situation, and spokesman Charles Bloom did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

SEC presidents and chancellors voted in favor of the move on Sept. 6.

Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin says: We are excited to begin competition in the nation’s premier athletic conference.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=Ap7YI2imX0j63.UEfOQbuCo5nYcB?slug=ap-sec-texasam

SoonerofAlabama
9/25/2011, 05:20 PM
Does Texas A&M know they suck?

jumperstop
9/25/2011, 05:23 PM
I was happy that the pokes didn't choke and gave them the exit they deserve. We need to do our part now.

Okie35
9/25/2011, 05:28 PM
Does Texas A&M know they suck?

I find it funny its announced right after they lost. I think they were on the phones IMMEDIATELY after the game.

Sabanball
9/25/2011, 05:29 PM
As time goes by, it will be interesting to sit back and watch how this affects the rivalry that they have with Texas.

Any chance Chuck Neinas now picks up the phone and calls BYU?

soonervegas
9/25/2011, 05:30 PM
There is no rivalry anymore....

SoonerMom2
9/25/2011, 05:44 PM
Texas is refusing to play A&M ever again. I was asked an interesting question this weekend if UT would improve relations with the other schools with A&M gone? Would find it hard to believe that their hatred for each other spilled over to the whole conference, but interesting question.

kevpks
9/25/2011, 05:47 PM
I figured the SEC already had enough doormats.

bluedogok
9/25/2011, 05:49 PM
Texas is refusing to play A&M ever again. I was asked an interesting question this weekend if UT would improve relations with the other schools with A&M gone? Would find it hard to believe that their hatred for each other spilled over to the whole conference, but interesting question.
Dodds has softened that stance some since last season, at least publicly. I think they maintain some games against them in most sports if only to satisfy the desires of some legislators and influential donors which I think let him know that attitude was not acceptable. I doubt that A&M ever agrees to the football game being broadcast on LHN.

BudSooner
9/25/2011, 05:49 PM
Rather than playing A&M again as an OOC game, I could easily see Texas renewing a home/away series with Arkansas.

But then again....

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken....."

sooneredaco
9/25/2011, 05:53 PM
Good! That cult of wierdos are bizarre! Like Pat Forde just said in his last article about them, "gig 'em, more like gag 'em."

badger
9/25/2011, 06:01 PM
Well A&M... bye.

Sabanball
9/25/2011, 06:03 PM

Will be interesting to see if that holds up over the passage of time. That rivalry being what it is, I doubt it, even with all the bad blood between right now. Would be sad to see Te*as' ego finish off one of the game's most intense rivalries.

SoonerMom2
9/25/2011, 06:03 PM
Doubt if you see A&M play TX in any sport for the foreseeable future. They already diliked each other and think that dislike has turned into hate. The Aggie fan base would go nuts if they had to play UT in tiddlywinks!

UT already said the Thanksgiving weekend game is not going to happen after they leave and so have the Aggies.

kevpks
9/25/2011, 06:07 PM
I hope we don't schedule any football games with them in the future. I prefer for our OOC games to boost, not tank, our strength of schedule.

trwxxa
9/25/2011, 06:13 PM
I believe aTm has said they would like to keep playing Texas in all sports. Texas is the one hemming and hawing, like the bully that has been finally punched back. I would think there is too many $$$$ to stop the Thanksgiving night game. There is only one school that would draw as much as a replacement for aTm, but that game is already played in October.

trwxxa
9/25/2011, 06:15 PM
I hope we don't schedule any football games with them in the future. I prefer for our OOC games to boost, not tank, our strength of schedule.
Considering there has not been enough history to consider this a rivalry, I don't see us playing them again for a loooooong time.

OklahomaTuba
9/25/2011, 06:18 PM
Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck
Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck
Good bye to texas university
So long to the orange and the white
Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the real old fight
"the eyes of Texas are upon you"
That is the song they sing so well (Sounds like hell!)
So good bye to texas university
We're gonna beat you all to…Chigaroogarem, Chigaroogarem
Rough, Tough, Real stuff, Texas A&M
Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Short! A!
Varsity's horns are sawed off
Short! A!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/25/2011, 07:08 PM
Peace out. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Have fun chanting SEC during bowl games while you are sitting at home during bowl week.

BigTip
9/25/2011, 08:24 PM
Well A&M... bye.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-IwRqiWD56NUedoTssOxjdxaIpxu-ws5dhVW3DOslQF8bS0Tb-jcgtVPn6Q

FtWorthSooner
9/25/2011, 09:08 PM
I guess they won't have to worry about losing 77-0 again.
They can't win the conference they are currently in...they certainly won't be winning anything in their new one.

"Texas A&M is the biggest disappointment in college football over the past 25 years..." - Colin Cowherd

SoonerMarkVA
9/25/2011, 09:31 PM
I have to admit, I sure wish it was us leaving in July, 2012.

MyT Oklahoma
9/25/2011, 09:37 PM
:pop:

SoonerinSouthlake
9/25/2011, 09:42 PM
I guess they won't have to worry about losing 77-0 again.

Id guess they will have to worry about every other week of the season

SoonerinSouthlake
9/25/2011, 09:44 PM
Doubt if you see A&M play TX in any sport for the foreseeable future. They already diliked each other and think that dislike has turned into hate. The Aggie fan base would go nuts if they had to play UT in tiddlywinks!

UT already said the Thanksgiving weekend game is not going to happen after they leave and so have the Aggies.

My bet will be about 10 years plus or minus before they play each other.

there will have to be a turnover of the presidents probably too.

You can bet with they both have 7-5 ish seasons that there will be Bowls trying to get them together though. We'll see how that plays out

sperry
9/25/2011, 10:08 PM
So now you have to wonder who #14 for the SEC will be? Clemson and Florida St. seem to be the most likely candidates.

SouthTxSooner
9/25/2011, 10:13 PM
http://president.tamu.edu/2010/07/29/statement-about-the-big-12-july-28/Did anyone else catch the sideline reporter, during the OSU game, say that she asked Lofton if he would be willing to talk to the interim commish about possibly remaining in the Big 12? Apparently Lofton said they made the decision to leave a year and a half ago.. I'm not a lawyer, but maybe Baylor does have a case if TAMU was doing everything in bad faith when the conference was "saved" back in June 2010..

sooner518
9/25/2011, 10:27 PM
Dear SEC,

This is the president of A&M. The rest of the school and fan base is correspondingly retarded. You have been warned.
http://president.tamu.edu/files/2010/02/loftin4.jpg

SoonerKnight
9/25/2011, 10:45 PM
Dear SEC,

This is the president of A&M. The rest of the school and fan base is correspondingly retarded. You have been warned.

Really?

sooner518
9/25/2011, 10:52 PM
Really?
Sadly, yes. Really.

Curly Bill
9/25/2011, 10:55 PM
I know several aggies, there's something wrong with all of em.

Sooner1972
9/25/2011, 11:11 PM
More egg on the face of Texass, imo. They are so damn arrogant and vile that the 3rd-5th best teams in the conference have all run away from them as fast as they could, including their only significant in-state rival.

It'll be interesting to see how A&M makes out in the SEC. My guess is that they cannot possibly be prepared for eight straight weeks of intense competition, as there are no IA States, Kansas, and Baylors over there.

BB37
9/25/2011, 11:22 PM
It'll be interesting to see how A&M makes out in the SEC. My guess is that they cannot possibly be prepared for eight straight weeks of intense competition, as there are no IA States, Kansas, and Baylors over there.

Just Vandys, Kentuckys and Mississippi States (probably add 'Ole Miss to that list too).

BB37
9/25/2011, 11:23 PM
Dear SEC,

The folks on Fark would have a field day...

GreenSooner
9/25/2011, 11:30 PM
More egg on the face of Texass, imo. They are so damn arrogant and vile that the 3rd-5th best teams in the conference have all run away from them as fast as they could, including their only significant in-state rival.

Calling CU the 5th best team in the conference is a bit unfair to MU, lOSUr, Baylor, KState, Tech, KU...and Iowa State, come to think of it!

Sooner_Tuf
9/25/2011, 11:58 PM
Calling CU the 5th best team in the conference is a bit unfair to MU, lOSUr, Baylor, KState, Tech, KU...and Iowa State, come to think of it!

Which one of those programs has won a MNC? Colorado has more history than any of those.

GreenSooner
9/26/2011, 12:49 AM
Which one of those programs has won a MNC? Colorado has more history than any of those.

Fair enough. CU has history. But that's pretty much all they have at this point. That program is a basket case. Of the three teams that have left or are planning to leave the Big XII-II-I, CU is the one that we might actually be able to upgrade from.

Sooner_Tuf
9/26/2011, 01:34 AM
Fair enough. CU has history. But that's pretty much all they have at this point. That program is a basket case. Of the three teams that have left or are planning to leave the Big XII-II-I, CU is the one that we might actually be able to upgrade from.

We can probably add some teams. We might even be able to add some interesting ones. We probably can't add any that are as big of programs as the ones we are losing. Unless we can lure a big name program from another conference (not happening) there won't be any upgrades.

ouflak
9/26/2011, 01:44 AM

I had high hopes that the way this would play out was that the PAC would say no, and Boren had the SEC as plan B, set and ready to go. Pretty disappointing that this appears to very much not be the case.

Anyway guys, try to keep all of this conference re-alignment discussion in the sticky thread above. Just a friendly reminder. This will probably be merged in.

marfacowboy
9/26/2011, 06:52 AM
Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. Adios, muchachos.

DCsooner22
9/26/2011, 08:36 AM
Will they continue the tradition of List-eating while in the SEC?

http://www.thebatt.com/2.8485/ticket-window-no-ate-1.1202447

I guess they would have to make a bowl game first though....

kevpks
9/26/2011, 10:01 AM
soonerstats.com already scratched the Aggies off of our future schedules. It will be interesting to see who replaces them.

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2012

If the conference goes with 9 next year, I see some FCS schools in our future, which really sucks. I don't know who else we could get on such short notice as a non-conference game. Also, I noticed that TCU is a non-conference game next year. If they join the Big XII, scheduling could get really interesting.

Tear Down This Wall
9/26/2011, 11:49 AM

Agreed...and to the SEC.

Tear Down This Wall
9/26/2011, 11:56 AM
I had high hopes that the way this would play out was that the PAC would say no, and Boren had the SEC as plan B, set and ready to go. Pretty disappointing that this appears to very much not be the case.

Anyway guys, try to keep all of this conference re-alignment discussion in the sticky thread above. Just a friendly reminder. This will probably be merged in.

Dude, we're stuck here in the Big 12. Whomever DeLoss Dodds decides to glue-in to replace NU, CU, and A&M is what we'll get. I just know that it'll be three crappier programs with a lot less football history.

Hard to believe what saps we've turned out to be.

As much as it hurts to see A&M getting into the best football conference, it will really sting if the Mizzou rumors turn out to be true and they also get to go to the SEC.

ouflak
9/26/2011, 03:32 PM
C'mon guys where's your pride???? Run off to the NCAA and tell them what the big bad Texas did WAAH, WAAH, WAAAAHHH....

We're the University of Oklahoma! If Texas wants to do day-in-the-life specials of every 5 star in Texas, ****ing let them! We either:

1. Leave the conference and find our own destiny and schedule them as an OOC opponent until they get the death penalty.

2. Start our own network do the same thing only BETTER.

Screw the NCAA. **** Texas.

What happened? You guys watched Boren get bent over a barrel and decided that this is now our new philosophy. We're better than this. Way better than this. Sheesh!

S008NER
9/26/2011, 03:43 PM

The bigger story line here is that the sec programs just got more exposure in the texas. What impacts will that have on recruiting? Will the sec and a&m included gain a recruiting advantage by casting the big 9 as a weaker, dysfunctional conference ready to implode at any moment.

badger
9/26/2011, 03:53 PM
The bigger story line here is that the sec programs just got more exposure in the texas. What impacts will that have on recruiting? Will the sec and a&m included gain a recruiting advantage by casting the big 9 as a weaker, dysfunctional conference ready to implode at any moment.

I'd have to say no. The programs that will really get impacted will be the ones in Texas that aren't BCS conference programs, because suddenly, there's more options for them that sound a lot better. Kids will say publicly that they want to stay close to home, but that's their families talking, isn't it? The kid is probably thinking "get me somewhere far enough away that they can't hover over me every moment." :D

SoonerMom2
9/26/2011, 06:37 PM
Did it hurt TX recruiting when we were the in the Big 8 and AR was still part of the SWC? Seems like we still got our fair share of talent out of TX. How about going into CA and getting Roy Williams? Does a football player want to go to a storied program that is national recognizing that got 3 out of 4 NFL picks in 2010 or do they want to go to a SEC school. The ones that wanted to go to LSU already do and same with AR and AL. A&M is more like LSU than they are OU or even UT.

trwxxa
9/26/2011, 07:22 PM
soonerstats.com already scratched the Aggies off of our future schedules. It will be interesting to see who replaces them.

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2012

If the conference goes with 9 next year, I see some FCS schools in our future, which really sucks. I don't know who else we could get on such short notice as a non-conference game. Also, I noticed that TCU is a non-conference game next year. If they join the Big XII, scheduling could get really interesting.

When Beebe renegotiated the TV deal with Fox last year, Fox stipulated the contract was based on maintaining a minimum 10 team conference. I don't know what will happen if we only have 9.

trwxxa
9/26/2011, 07:32 PM
I'd have to say no. The programs that will really get impacted will be the ones in Texas that aren't BCS conference programs, because suddenly, there's more options for them that sound a lot better. Kids will say publicly that they want to stay close to home, but that's their families talking, isn't it? The kid is probably thinking "get me somewhere far enough away that they can't hover over me every moment." :D
Agree here. The SEC has always cherry picked Texas, but their home states are pretty fertile right now. The kids that come to OU want to play for OU. aTm may get an uptick in pulling kids from Louisiana, an area they have had some success in lately. I think these kids were sold on aTm going to the SEC anyway.

The landscape will only change as coaching regimes change.

bowfin
9/27/2011, 10:49 AM
The Longhorns are having a hard time getting over this break up.

Shaggy Bevo forum could change their name to "All Aggie, All the time" forum, Like a jilted frat boy who's odd EMO girlfriend took up with someone else, they are obsessed with who their ex is seeing, how sorry the ex going to be, the ex never had it so good, We're better off, blah, blah, and more blah. They even want to stop Aggie from playing "their song" any more.

Dr. Phil needs to do the half time show for Texas\Texas A&M and see if he can talk both of them through their feelings and emotions. You know, see what they need to do to go forward in a healthy way from that point forward.

OULenexaman
9/27/2011, 10:59 AM
I just hate to end up being the last ones off the Titanic....we could have already been on our life boat but instead we're just running around looking for love and yelling "Rose....Rose ...Rose!!!"

Herr Scholz
9/27/2011, 05:14 PM
There's no room on the schedule to play aggy in the forseeable future, it's as simple as that. If the Big XII adds a 10th team (which everyone expects), that will be a 9-game round robin conference schedule every year. UT has 3 OOC games already scheduled through 2017. That's 12 games.

There's simply no room to play aggy until 2018. Scheduling conflicts are not a made up reason not to play. It's simply reality after aggy left the conference.

Future Texas schedules
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/fb-future-schedules.html

LiveLaughLove
9/27/2011, 05:14 PM
I don't for the life of me, understand why the SEC is a no go with Boren and or Stoops (as is being reported nationally). Bob doesn't strike me as one that would be afraid of competition. His former boss Spurrier isn't. I would be sorely disappointed if he is.

Word is Boren doesn't think the academics are good enough in the SEC. This is a flat out falsehood. The SEC's academics are superior to the big xii's.

I am suspecting that Boren's personal politics might be playing a role in his anti-sec stand and the academics are his cover.

kevpks
9/27/2011, 06:52 PM
There's no room on the schedule to play aggy in the forseeable future, it's as simple as that. If the Big XII adds a 10th team (which everyone expects), that will be a 9-game round robin conference schedule every year. UT has 3 OOC games already scheduled through 2017. That's 12 games.

There's simply no room to play aggy until 2018. Scheduling conflicts are not a made up reason not to play. It's simply reality after aggy left the conference.

Future Texas schedules
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/fb-future-schedules.html

Wow the Horns are actually playing some decent teams in the coming years. Next year is a bit of a joke, but I guess they could not have known that Ole Miss would be so terrible and that New Mexico would be the worst team in division 1.

Herr Scholz
9/28/2011, 01:34 AM
No aggy will respond to the scheduling conflict argument. All they say is "Anytime, anywhere...we're not ending the rivalry, they are...blah, blah, blah..."

When are we supposed to play them? Cancel with one of the schools we already scheduled to play OOC? Idiots. They left the conference, not us.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/28/2011, 02:14 AM
As time goes by, it will be interesting to sit back and watch how this affects the rivalry that they have with Texas.

Any chance Chuck Neinas now picks up the phone and calls BYU?

If Deloss Dodds has his way, it is dead. Some tx legislators are trying to make the game at Thanksgiving a law.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/28/2011, 02:16 AM
Just Vandys, Kentuckys and Mississippi States (probably add 'Ole Miss to that list too).

TAMU = Miss State

ouflak
9/28/2011, 02:45 AM
No aggy will respond to the scheduling conflict argument. All they say is "Anytime, anywhere...we're not ending the rivalry, they are...blah, blah, blah..."

When are we supposed to play them? Cancel with one of the schools we already scheduled to play OOC? Idiots. They left the conference, not us.

Herr, the reality is that schedules are scheduled and re-scheduled and re-shuffled and toyed with endlessly by all teams all of the time. Heck one of the upcoming games we have with Notre Dame was originally meant to be played in 2005! Landscapes change. Conflicts creep up out of nowhere. Its life. No schedule is static and neither is UT's or A&M's.

If you guys (UT and A&M) want to keep that rivalry alive, you will. Period.

If you don't *shrug*, you don't and you won't.

My advice. Let some of the emotions die down. Wait 'til after the game this year and decent cooling off period. Then try and work this out one way or the other. It certainly can't hurt to do that and atleast try to salvage something. At worse, you guys never play each other again and that's that. At best, your rivalry stays alive for another century (and you both continue to cash in on that game).

John Kochtoston
9/28/2011, 05:43 AM
I don't think it's academics as much as it is the SEC recruiting culture. Boren doesn't want a repeat of the issues OU had in the late 1980s.

Also, the SEC supposedly has no interest in Stillwater High. Leaving the Ags behind would be a hard sell to the Oklahoma Legislature.

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 08:25 AM
I don't think it's academics as much as it is the SEC recruiting culture. Boren doesn't want a repeat of the issues OU had in the late 1980s.

Also, the SEC supposedly has no interest in Stillwater High. Leaving the Ags behind would be a hard sell to the Oklahoma Legislature.

I call bull here. Boren was begging to get us into a conference with cheating Oregon and USC. The Pac-10 was never squeaky clean, and neither is the Pac-12 version of it. Plus, there is the Vegas incident earlier this year where the league cowed to Vegas over the last play of a game. PLUS, the sh*tty officiating of the Pac-10/12.

Boren is thinking only of what he wants. If A&M and Missouri are both added to the SEC, it will have almost as many AAU schools as the Pac-12. The academic argument is made a farce anyway because the Pac-12 had no problem taking in non-AAU Utah, a school with no strong academic or football tradition. It's as much a Johnny-come-lately as Boise State and the Pac-12 opened their doors to them.

It's about football and equal revenue sharing. The SEC has the best of it. A&M gets to join. We sit and wait to DeLoss Dodds to tell us which p*ssant schools will be replacing A&M, NU, and CU.

Boren...master politician my *ss. More like master chump. Now we've got Granpa Money Bags McOSU talking up the crappiest programs in Texas - Rice, SMU, and TCU. Yeah...I know TCU has had some good years...in some crappy conferences. They wouldn't do jack in anything but inferior conferences. They have to have weak schedules to get by.

The reality is Rice, SMU, and TCU would be like three more Baylors. It's atrocious. Why not throw in North Texas? They've been to more bowl games than Rice and SMU combined since the Big 12 formation in 1996. I mean, if we really want crappy football to replace A&M, NU, and CU, let's go all the way.

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2011, 08:30 AM
I think one of the real drivers here is the stupid OU Network they're dreaming up. As stupid as they are for passing up a shot at the SEC, they're even dumber for thinking an OU Network will get anywhere near a contract Texas did.

First, the Texas Network is already failing, so no one will make the same mistake twice. Second, cable television is going to be the Blockbuster Video of the 2010s as a la carte outfits such as Hulu keep offering a wider variety of content at much lower rates.

Finally, again, it's all about football. Advertisers are not stupid. They're not going to pay top dollars to anyone's soccer, swimming, and nutcracking programs. Football is king.

I've said before, and I'll say it again...what these school-based programs really want is to turn this thing into boxing, where they show every game pay-per-view. I'm afraid greed may be behind Boren and Castiglione's lack of push for the SEC. In the end, they may be just as willing to eat themselves with greed as Texas has been.

Herr Scholz
9/28/2011, 03:28 PM
Some tx legislators are trying to make the game at Thanksgiving a law.
Two aggys to be exact. Weren't those hypocrites just crying like girls about Baylor "not letting them do what they wan't"? If hypocrisy were uranium, aggy could fuel the entire Western hemisphere.

ouflak
9/29/2011, 02:03 AM

Well then, it's a good thing we don't have to sell it them. They can read about in USAToday... if it were to happen....