PDA

View Full Version : Brent Venables yells at Tom Wort in the 4th quarter.

agoo758
9/25/2011, 03:38 PM
Anyone know what that was about? It was strange seeing that after we stopped them on third down, but I am sure there was a good reason. Did anyone see anything on that play that I missed?

GottaHavePride
9/25/2011, 03:41 PM
Not only was he yelling, he was almost literally foaming at the mouth.

8timechamps
9/25/2011, 03:44 PM
This is why I continue to really like BV. HE wouldn't let it (whatever "it" was) go. The dude has some serious passion, and has to be hard as hell to please. Just the way a defensive coach should be.

On a side note, I felt sorry for the water girl when he slammed the water bottle back into the holder thingy.

oumartin
9/25/2011, 03:45 PM
He lost a bet with Wort, said I bet can't get off the field without them scoring a touchdown. Boom, Wort won the bet.

ocsooner
9/25/2011, 03:47 PM
On a side note, I felt sorry for the water girl when he slammed the water bottle back into the holder thingy.

The look on her face was like "glad that's not me he's yelling at!

tm250
9/25/2011, 04:34 PM
After the last defensive play at Florida State Brent V gets on Tom as he comes off the field....looks like Bob pushes Tom away from Brent.....Start watching at 2:17:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4F6xmLuMzM

ouduckhunter
9/25/2011, 04:36 PM
We noticed BV going ballistic too! It was funny to watch on tv, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that tirade.

cccasooner2
9/25/2011, 04:43 PM
You waited until 9/25/11 to ask the question? Why the week delay?

jk the sooner fan
9/25/2011, 04:46 PM
we laughed about that look on BV's face for quite some time last night - pretty funny

King Crimson
9/25/2011, 04:50 PM
OK, so in this OU-FSU pregame Brent says OU won 4 NC's in the 70 and 80's.....that ain't right. 74, 75, 85. or have we gone Bama/USC counting....? Jimbo quoting John Wooden in the open...

we are the best team in the nation in 78 but i don't think we are getting cred for that....

agoo758
9/25/2011, 04:55 PM
You waited until 9/25/11 to ask the question? Why the week delay?

This is a joke right? I was obviously talking about last night.

badger
9/25/2011, 05:06 PM
If you are referring to yesterday's game, it was right after Miz failed to convert on 3rd and 24. We gave up like 12 yards on that play. If I had to guess, it had something to do with giving up 12 yards on a single play. Sure, didn't result in giving up a first down, but normally, 12 yard giveups are giving up first downs.

So, that's my guess.

usmc-sooner
9/25/2011, 05:29 PM
Somebody needs to yell at Brent. Same ole same ole. Glad to see Travis Lewis call it like it is. We've got to be better on D.

btk108
9/25/2011, 05:30 PM
heh...refer to Bob Knights response to reporters when asked why he was yelling a player during a timeout.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 05:30 PM
Much more than a 12 yard gain..Tom was out of position a lot early including that play...He shot the wrong gaps a few times and just wasn't where he was supposed to be..

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2011, 05:38 PM
If you are referring to yesterday's game, it was right after Miz failed to convert on 3rd and 24. We gave up like 12 yards on that play. If I had to guess, it had something to do with giving up 12 yards on a single play. Sure, didn't result in giving up a first down, but normally, 12 yard giveups are giving up first downs.

So, that's my guess.

Most teams concede 12 yards on a 3rd and 24 by design unless it's a FG situation, which this was not. I'm guessing he missed his assignment and it could have happened on an earlier play.

ashley
9/25/2011, 07:13 PM
Much more than a 12 yard gain..Tom was out of position a lot early including that play...He shot the wrong gaps a few times and just wasn't where he was supposed to be.. How would you know what gap he was suppose to go in.

Sooner_Tuf
9/25/2011, 07:54 PM
How would you know what gap he was suppose to go in.

Well if the ball goes through the line in a different place than he is plugging then he shot the wrong gap. He is supposed to go to the ball in his designated area. If he shoots the wrong gap he effectively seals himself out on the play.

If Dillards is having a sale that you want to go to but you enter Things Remembered because the door is closer ..... You get the idea.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2011, 07:56 PM
So Dillards is having a sale?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 07:57 PM
What he said...OU's coverage schemes aren't different from anyone who has ran that same defense...It's just basic football

oumartin
9/25/2011, 08:38 PM
wouldn't a better analogy be "If the Gap was having a sale"

Chiliman
9/25/2011, 10:22 PM
Much more than a 12 yard gain..Tom was out of position a lot early including that play...He shot the wrong gaps a few times and just wasn't where he was supposed to be..

This will continue to be a weakness. I promise you, for Venables to get that mad, it was a blown assignment. Unfortunately, a consistent problem with Tom. Tom can deliver a blow and plays with passion but he is consistently out of position. He's 3 years in the system and in BV's mind he has no excuse to ever blow an assignment. Ever wonder why Venables loved Reynolds and Box even after injuries had robbed them of some of their explosiveness? They rarely blew assignments and as a result most everybody else was in position due to the gap control scheme that is so dependent on the MLB running the show.

Sooner_Tuf
9/25/2011, 11:29 PM
So Dillards is having a sale?

Yeah 10% off all Christmas Ornaments marked 2008. "When they are gone they will be gone forever"

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/25/2011, 11:51 PM
This will continue to be a weakness. I promise you, for Venables to get that mad, it was a blown assignment. Unfortunately, a consistent problem with Tom. Tom can deliver a blow and plays with passion but he is consistently out of position. He's 3 years in the system and in BV's mind he has no excuse to ever blow an assignment. Ever wonder why Venables loved Reynolds and Box even after injuries had robbed them of some of their explosiveness? They rarely blew assignments and as a result most everybody else was in position due to the gap control scheme that is so dependent on the MLB running the show.prolly what happened. Good post.

Sooners78
9/26/2011, 09:06 AM
Funniest thing about that was when BV is yelling and takes time to walk over to the water girl to get a drink!

stoopified
9/26/2011, 11:15 AM
This is NOT news,OU coaches havebeen yelling at players on the sidelines throughout Bob's career.This is especially true of OUr defensive coaching staff. Bob continues to say it was no big deal because OUr coaches are very passionate and vocal. I still recall when Mike Stoops was still here it was not uncommon to see Brent and Mike yelling at each other.

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2011, 11:27 AM
Speaking of Mike Stoops, hope you caught his tirade(s) in the UO game. They should just give him the MNC crystal ball for coach mad-face right now. One of his receivers got clocked by the duck safety and there was no flag. If you were to create a wikipedia page to explain the targeting rule, you would include a video of that hit. Mike was so mad, he almost chewed the refs head off and then went over to complain to Skip Kelly. I'd want my coach to defend me like that. The rest of his mad faces were at the refs and his own players screwing up in a game where they were getting their asses kicked. Nothing new there.