PDA

View Full Version : Don't see this posted yet, but LSU #1 in AP poll

cleller
9/25/2011, 02:52 PM
http://www.koco.com/slideshow/sports/28925585/detail.html

EatLeadCommie
9/25/2011, 02:56 PM
Good. They deserve it and it makes the target on our back slightly smaller.

SoonerPride
9/25/2011, 03:12 PM
Nothing better to get the team's focus. Travis and Brent were so disgusted last night this will help them focus the team's attention and effort.

8timechamps
9/25/2011, 03:18 PM
At this point, I think LSU deserves the top spot.

They have played better opponents to this point, and have done what they needed to. This is the time that I'm glad they're in the SEC. They have many tough games on their schedule, we have probably 2.

cleller
9/25/2011, 03:22 PM
My only regret is that every week we were adding to our record number of weeks ranked #1

stoopified
9/25/2011, 03:23 PM
The most shocking thing to me is T.Boone Sate moving up.

boomersooner28
9/25/2011, 03:32 PM
We needed FSU to beat Clemson. Anywho, who cares? SOOO much football left to play. It will all work out. Take care of what you can control...on the field.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/25/2011, 03:33 PM
Don't write off the Big 12 just yet. Our schedule is no cake walk.

Zin
9/25/2011, 03:48 PM
Good motivation, just be prepared to hear the SEC fanboys saying the national championship will be decided when LSU plays Bama.

soonermagicgirl
9/25/2011, 03:48 PM
hate to say it, but they did play a better game than we did..

agoo758
9/25/2011, 03:49 PM
We dropped in a poll that has no BCS implications?

Definitely doomed.:chargrined:

cccasooner2
9/25/2011, 04:23 PM
I'll bet the vote came with a nice looking trophy too. OSU gets a 5th place ring to wear too I'll bet.

OUHOMER
9/25/2011, 04:24 PM
We dropped in a poll that has no BCS implications?

THIS, but hopefully it will give the team some more motivation

LRoss
9/25/2011, 05:31 PM
Wow, I saw the poll and then was scared to come here afraid of people being angry or whatever. Color me VERY pleasantly surprised and proud to be a Sooner.

LSU right now probably DOES deserve the ranking more than OU based on results on the field so far. But dropping in the polls at this point will have NO bearing on whether or not we play for the MNC just as long as the winning doesn't lapse.

Also, I'd really like for this (and MANY other moments like this) submitted as evidence against everybody (not necessarily OU fans of the time) who whines whines whines about preseason polls etc. and how whatever team ends up with an unfair advantage because of polls that came out too early. They shake out. This is but one example. Quit whining, play a good schedule, and win games. Things will be all right.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 05:45 PM
I heard the Muskogee Phoenix has LSU number 1 also in their poll...it's gonna be tough to get that spot back

DenverSooner751
9/25/2011, 05:51 PM
I share in the feeling that this is actually a good thing for the team!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 05:56 PM
You guys do know we are still 1 in the poll that means something, right?

C&CDean
9/25/2011, 05:58 PM
IDGAS. If we're 1 or 2 in January, it's all good.

Soonermagik
9/25/2011, 06:15 PM
I'd prefer someone else carry the burden of #1. Even Miles said he would prefer to be ranked 1 number later on in the season. It doesn't matter.. because if OU wins out they are in the national title game, so who really cares?

josh09
9/25/2011, 06:47 PM
I know it's only one spot in the rankings, but this could honestly be a huge weight off of our shoulders. The pressure on you being #1 is much more than that of being #2.

kevpks
9/25/2011, 06:47 PM
I was curious who the jackass was who was voting Boise #1. Scott Wolf-LA Daily news, and his ballot is all kinds of jacked up:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3060/screenshot20110925at645.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/screenshot20110925at645.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://pollspeak.com/index.php?option=com_psreport&s=17&p=36&t1=12&t2=&v=57&w=5&r=V&Itemid=3

USC Trojan
9/25/2011, 07:10 PM
LSU has earned that billing, but It doesn't mean they are the best team.

OU_Sooners75
9/25/2011, 07:16 PM
1. At this point in time, rankings are meaningless.
2. The AP poll has ZERO baring on what happens in the BCS Title picture.
3. OU continues to win, they will be playing for #8 in New Orleans.

LSU at this point looks really good, but they are about to hit their brick wall for their season.

They have gotten some major breaks. WVU had 4 turnovers at the wrong time. TThey had 3 of their TOs occur when they were marching down the field on LSU.

LSU has also had some very good special teams.

LSU's remaining schedule:

Kentucky W
Florida ?
@ Tennessee W
Auburn W
@ Bama L
W. Kentucky W
@ Ole Miss W
Arkansas ?

LSU could very well lose 3 games. I think 2 more like it though.

They beat then #25 Miss St...which has gone on to have just one No. 25 vote in the AP since.
They beat then #3 Oregon...which is ranked #11 in coaches and #9 in AP right now.
They have beaten WVU which may not even finish ranked, nor win their conference.

LSU has 3 teams remaining that are currently ranked. OU has 4 (Texass, Baylor, OSU, and A&M).

At this point in time, LSU has played the tougher schedule and has looked impressive. If I had a vote in either the AP or Coaches, I would vote them #1 in the nation as well. But OU has what looks to be a much tougher road ahead of them while LSU as their cupcake schedule yet to come.

SO, IMHO, OU is in great shape...and if they continue to win, everything will work out in the end. The only way OU slips lower than the top 2 is if they lose this year!

BlownGP
9/25/2011, 07:36 PM
^^^^Nice...

Now I gotta sum up all that for my LSU fans at work...lol

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 07:47 PM
Once again..

You guys realize that OU is still 1 in the coaches poll which is the one that matters?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 07:49 PM
I was curious who the jackass was who was voting Boise #1. Scott Wolf-LA Daily news, and his ballot is all kinds of jacked up:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3060/screenshot20110925at645.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/screenshot20110925at645.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://pollspeak.com/index.php?option=com_psreport&s=17&p=36&t1=12&t2=&v=57&w=5&r=V&Itemid=3

Ah, there he is..For you guys who don't know, Scott Wolf also refused to vote OU #1 in the 2000 season because even though they were the only undefeated, there was no way they could play with Florida State in his eyes.

Boomer.....
9/25/2011, 07:50 PM
Bork, Bork, Bork!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 07:52 PM
Hey, we post here, but don't make us read anything!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 07:58 PM
Just seen the Eufaula Newspaper doesn't have us number 1 either...that should definitely make the team less tense.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/25/2011, 08:03 PM
Good motivation, just be prepared to hear the SEC fanboys saying the national championship will be decided when LSU plays Bama.

well...Alabama claims every other big game as one of their national championships.....so why will this be any different

hotshot13422
9/25/2011, 08:18 PM
So OU stays number 1 in the only poll right now that counts towards the BCS, but we get the motivation of not being number 1 in the other poll that is completely irrelevant but people like to use? Win-win for us.

ouflak
9/26/2011, 02:02 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the OOC for the conference as a whole is very strong. There have been only two losses by Big XII teams (to Georgia Tech and Arizona State). Everybody except for Kansas and Missouri respectively, has gone 3-0 in their non-conference games, which should boost us in the computer rankings as time goes by.

Oh, and count me as another one who thinks that at this point, LSU probably deserves it.

LSUdeek
9/26/2011, 10:23 AM
1. At this point in time, rankings are meaningless.
2. The AP poll has ZERO baring on what happens in the BCS Title picture.
3. OU continues to win, they will be playing for #8 in New Orleans.

Agreed

LSU at this point looks really good, but they are about to hit their brick wall for their season.

Huh?

They have gotten some major breaks. WVU had 4 turnovers at the wrong time. TThey had 3 of their TOs occur when they were marching down the field on LSU.

Tyrann Mathieu took the ball out of a WR's hands and batted an interception to himself. He wasn't standing all alone in the middle of the field when a pair of passes magically appeared in his hands.

LSU has also had some very good special teams.

What's the point of stating this.... other than to actually give us credit for being awesome in all 3 phases of the game and justifiably ranked #1?

LSU could very well lose 3 games. I think 2 more like it though.

Arkansas is not as good this year. We will beat UF and Ark at home. The BCS NCG will be decided in Tuscaloosa.

They beat then #25 Miss St...which has gone on to have just one No. 25 vote in the AP since.

They will be back in the top 25 by season's end.

They beat then #3 Oregon...which is ranked #11 in coaches and #9 in AP right now.
Based on nothing more than their loss to LSU -- and they are rolling people by 50 in their conference right now. Are you really comparing LSU's schedule to yours? REALLY?

They have beaten WVU which may not even finish ranked, nor win their conference.

Wow..... Just....wow.

LSU has 3 teams remaining that are currently ranked. OU has 4 (Texass, Baylor, OSU, and A&M).

At this point in time, LSU has played the tougher schedule and has looked impressive. If I had a vote in either the AP or Coaches, I would vote them #1 in the nation as well. But OU has what looks to be a much tougher road ahead of them while LSU as their cupcake schedule yet to come.

Which is it? Are we about to hit our brick wall, or go play some cupcakes?

kevpks
9/26/2011, 10:31 AM
LSU might be the best team in the country. I think their schedule is too brutal to go undefeated and they'll only make the title game if Wisconsin, Stanford, and the other contenders have a loss as well. The only undefeated team they could beat out with one loss is Boise.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2011, 10:35 AM
I think a 1 loss SEC champ gets in no matter what..especially with the schedule LSU plays...

soonercastor
9/26/2011, 01:58 PM
Same song every year, go undefeated and don't worry about the rest. Weekly rankings give us something to talk about though.

marfacowboy
9/26/2011, 02:02 PM
Same song every year, go undefeated and don't worry about the rest. Weekly rankings give us something to talk about though.

Yep. I think it's better to be the hunter than the hunted. Let some other team carry that load for a while.