PDA

View Full Version : Winning ugly

cherokeebrewer
9/25/2011, 10:14 AM
beats the heck out of losing pretty...

Injuries are becoming a concern... obviously.

Sabanball
9/25/2011, 10:29 AM
Congrats on the win. I was wrapped up in the LSU/WVU game, so I didn't watch you guys, so I'm only going by the box score and press wire reports. Looks like you guys got off to a slow start, but then once you got it going on O it was just a matter of time before the Mizzou futility/winless streak in Norman continued.

However, I'd have to vote LSU as no. 1 this week for two reasons--they soundly beat a ranked WVU in Morgantown and not only did you guys struggle early against an unranked Mizzou team, but Clemson beating FSU the way they did--hell, Clemson beating FSU at all- TO ME kinda takes some of the luster off your win against them last week. Even after beating Auburn, I'm still not sold on the Clemson Tigers as a national contender. My top three this week would be LSU 1, OU 2, Bama 3, and I still think our two programs are on track to meet in New Orleans.

Okie35
9/25/2011, 10:32 AM
Congrats on the win. I was wrapped up in the LSU/WVU game, so I didn't watch you guys, so I'm only going by the box score and press wire reports. Looks like you guys got off to a slow start, but then once you got it going on O it was just a matter of time before the Mizzou futility/winless streak in Norman continued.

However, I'd have to vote LSU as no. 1 this week for two reasons--they soundly beat a ranked WVU in Morgantown and not only did you guys struggle early against an unranked Mizzou team, but Clemson beating FSU the way they did--hell, Clemson beating FSU at all- TO ME kinda takes some of the luster off your win against them last week. Even after beating Auburn, I'm still not sold on the Clemson Tigers as a national contender. My top three this week would be LSU 1, OU 2, Bama 3, and I still think our two programs are on track to meet in New Orleans.

They can have the 1. It'll be gone after Bama.

NormanPride
9/25/2011, 10:46 AM
Yup. I can agree with most of that. The only caveat I would say to the Clemson/FSU game is that FSU was without their starting QB and had to run with that 13 year old Trickett. They still probably should have won on the road.

I still say we're damn good. Not championship caliber yet, but the team is learning how to win in tough situations. They've responded maturely when the chips were down and that is what I really pull from these games. We get Landry to stop ****ing turning the ball over twice every game and we're going to trash some teams.

cherokeebrewer
9/25/2011, 10:50 AM

I wouldn't argue against LSU and Bama being rated above us, but I don't agree entirely with your assesment of the Sooners. Yes, we struggled some coming off the highly emotional win over FSU in a very hostile environment. Conversely, FSU coming off a very physical game against OU and having to play in a hostile environment at Clemson...It makes some sense.

cleller
9/25/2011, 10:59 AM
For me its a three horse race right now. OU/LSU/Bama. Any of the three could win it all on a good day. I sure like watching Clemson, if they can win on the road, they'll have something going. Lot of enthusiasm on that team, and good coaching on the offense.

NormanPride
9/25/2011, 11:01 AM
Everyone forgets Wisconsin, Stanford, South Carolina, VaTech and Clemson are still in it. LSU and Bama are the biggest names, but you can't count out those other teams. We don't have any gimmes on the schedule, so we need to focus and stay healthy to even be in the picture.

SoonerOX
9/25/2011, 11:04 AM
I agree with Sabanball on this one. LSU looks like the number one team in the land.

IronHorseSooner
9/25/2011, 11:08 AM

SB, good post, but I have two issues. First, you don't knock out a #1 team if they didn't lose- especially by double digits to a good conference foe. Being #1 is different than anything else, you should know that from last year. Whereas LSU may be "playing" like #1, they don't have that target on them like we do, or you guys did for the first half of last year. Coaches, and most media, understand this, and thus, I don't think LSU leap frogs us. In the end, it won't matter as you guys will monkey-stomp them in Tuscaloosa. Second, that FSU game last week was an SEC-style heavyweight slugfest (which is why I respect your success, because you guys get that most every week). Both teams looked a bit punch-drunk in their respective first halves. The difference is that FSU had to go on the road to "the other Death Valley" without some key guys, and we got to go back to the friendly confines.

BTW, a good friend of mine at my last duty station gave me a Roll Tide shirt, and I have worn it with pride (but not with as much pride as I wear beloved Sooners gear).

OUHOMER
9/25/2011, 11:27 AM
FSU was down 7 starters, I don't know to many teams that over that and beat a good team on the road.

rekamrettuB
9/25/2011, 11:28 AM
A ranked West Virginia team whose marquee win was over Maryland by 6 points...the same Maryland team that lost AT HOME to Temple by 31???

I'm not saying LSU shouldn't be #1 right now with their victories. I'm shocked they put up 21 points against them to be honest. WVa's offense is still in its infincy stages. I figured LSU would have shut them down with their defense. WVa put up 500+ yards. What that tells me is LSU defense has some weaknesses.

Bama and OU are more complete teams than LSU.

Unfortunately the voters see things similar to Sabanball and only look at box scores. They won't see that OU dominated after giving up 14 quick points and gave up 7 on a trash TD w/ about 30 seconds left. They also will forget, very quickly, that FSU QB was out as was several others. In the end, it won't matter. Win out and nobody jumps OU above #2.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2011, 11:29 AM
Everyone forgets Wisconsin, Stanford, South Carolina, VaTech and Clemson are still in it. LSU and Bama are the biggest names, but you can't count out those other teams. We don't have any gimmes on the schedule, so we need to focus and stay healthy to even be in the picture.

The sabanball post + ^this paints an accurate picture. Wisky looks real and there are no great teams in the conference, but enough decent teams that it's not a gimme. VaTech's schedule looked like a lock until Clemson started looking improved, but it's to hard to trust Clemson to be consistent. Stanford lost too much from last year and are now injury riddled on top of top of that - I can't see it. Are the Gators turning into a dark horse? Probably not, but they pose a great threat to unstable gamecocks.

LSU and 'Bama look heads above the rest right now and the rest of the SEC west weaker than expected. I'd almost bet the winner of their game gets a title slot. I wouldn't like our chances if we played one of those teams now - our offense needs to improve and be better under pressure and tight coverage. But we have 9 more games to get that done and I really like the character of this team regardless of if things fall our way.

Breadburner
9/25/2011, 11:39 AM
The head coach at clemson should send Stoops a bottle of Whiskey......

TXBOOMER
9/25/2011, 11:46 AM
From what I've seen LSU has a better defense than we do and defense wins championships. I would probably give them the nod over us at this point head to head. If we stay healthy we will get better as Stoops team always do. Just win baby! And we will see what happens.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2011, 11:50 AM
The head coach at clemson should send Stoops a bottle of Whiskey......

That's for sure - OU beat them twice. Trickett played ok, but Manuel is their running game. Reid was out as well (best CB) and I think they had a couple of other players out from the physical game against us. Maybe they Clemson beats them anyway, but missing those players was a big factor.

Sabanball
9/25/2011, 01:11 PM
SB, good post, but I have two issues. First, you don't knock out a #1 team if they didn't lose- especially by double digits to a good conference foe. Being #1 is different than anything else, you should know that from last year. Whereas LSU may be "playing" like #1, they don't have that target on them like we do, or you guys did for the first half of last year. Coaches, and most media, understand this, and thus, I don't think LSU leap frogs us. In the end, it won't matter as you guys will monkey-stomp them in Tuscaloosa. Second, that FSU game last week was an SEC-style heavyweight slugfest (which is why I respect your success, because you guys get that most every week). Both teams looked a bit punch-drunk in their respective first halves. The difference is that FSU had to go on the road to "the other Death Valley" without some key guys, and we got to go back to the friendly confines.

I respect that opinion--only time will tell how good FSU or Clemson really are. I've never been enamored with Jimbo Fisher as a coach and I certainly don't think Dabo Swinney, who us Bama fans know well, is the long term guy at Death Valley.

BTW, a good friend of mine at my last duty station gave me a Roll Tide shirt, and I have worn it with pride (but not with as much pride as I wear beloved Sooners gear).

Based solely on the first four weeks of the season, I think LSU is the best team in the land right now. They've man- handled three ranked teams on the road and have arguably(Granted, with Bama fans only...lol) the best D in all of major college football. That could all change as soon as next week, but RIGHT NOW, at this point in time,if I had a vote, I would vote them no. 1.

When they come to Tuscaloosa on Nov. 5, it is going to be a war.

CBUS_SOONER
9/25/2011, 02:47 PM
I agree... LSU is #1 right now... Who cares! we need to get healthy and continue to improve. Hopefully we get a shot at the SEC for all the marbles and half to listen about how great the league is for over a month and how bad Stoops is in BCS games. Just win baby!!!!please