PDA

View Full Version : Landry throws for a gazillion, 3 TDs, and gets the W... BUT...

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 12:33 AM
...What's your take on how "in control" or confident he is right now?

I thought at times he had that look of "let's just take care of business" and certainly was able to lead a number of charges down the field.

But there were a number of times tonight where he seemed to have the yips, or some really bad double-clutches (like not confident in where he is going with the ball), and had some really poor body language. He had moments where he had that look on his face like he was rewound back to 2009 and simply overwhelmed.

Basically he just didn't seem in charge as much as he did in the last 5 of last year.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what is going on with him?

Blue
9/25/2011, 12:36 AM
Grab bag of receivers maybe?

It's hard to get a rhythm when the WR corps change day to day.

AlboSooner
9/25/2011, 12:40 AM
receivers don't make you throw in double coverage or off your back foot.

Landry is good, and most of us fans imagine in our heads that he is playing against LSU's D or Bama's D. You can throw two picks against Mizzou and win, but can you do that against the very top teams?!

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 12:42 AM
I'll follow up with this: He better figure it out quick, because Texas is going to bring the heat this year with Diaz in charge. And, all of a sudden, we don't have ANY "easy" outs on the sched, minus only probably Kansas. Even Ball State has an ok team. We better not sleep walk on anyone, and Landry better re-discover his steady hand.

Blue
9/25/2011, 12:43 AM
receivers don't make you throw in double coverage or off your back foot.

Landry is good, and most of us fans imagine in our heads that he is playing against LSU's D or Bama's D. You can throw two picks against Mizzou and win, but can you do that against the very top teams?!

No but receivers running wrong routes or diff routes will make you do a double take! The guy aint gonna be perfect ever, but he puts up X-box numbers and you ****ers still bitch.

To beat Bama we will have to have a shutdown defense and score a few points.

Curly Bill
9/25/2011, 12:45 AM
If he and Sam were the Manning brothers, Sam would be Peyton and Landry would be Eli. Both obviously very good QB's, but the one has that something special, while the other sometimes makes ya go: hmmmmmm???

Blue
9/25/2011, 12:45 AM
I'll follow up with this: He better figure it out quick, because Texas is going to bring the heat this year with Diaz in charge. And, all of a sudden, we don't have ANY "easy" outs on the sched, minus only probably Kansas. Even Ball State has an ok team. We better not sleep walk on anyone, and Landry better find some grit.

I hope you are trolling.

Blue
9/25/2011, 12:47 AM
If he and Sam were the Manning brothers, Sam would be Peyton and Landry would be Eli. Both obviously very good QB's, but the one has that something special, while the other sometimes makes ya go: hmmmmmm???

The jury is out. Sam had a few Duh-Eli moments his first year and went undefeated his second. I count this as Landrys second full year and he's right on schedule. Oh and he's OUs alltime passing leader to boot.

AlboSooner
9/25/2011, 12:47 AM
No but receivers running wrong routes or diff routes will make you do a double take! The guy aint gonna be perfect ever, but he puts up X-box numbers and you ****ers still bitch.

To beat Bama we will have to have a shutdown defense and score a few points.
you are totally not whining about the receivers. you must be drunk. not so hostile my roofer friend.

Curly Bill
9/25/2011, 12:48 AM
The jury is out. Sam had a few Duh-Eli moments his first year and went undefeated his second. I count this as Landrys second full year and he's right on schedule. Oh and he's OUs alltime passing leader to boot.

I couldn't care less about the stats, I know he puts up video game type numbers, and that's to his credit. I just care that he keeps winning.

Blue
9/25/2011, 12:49 AM
you are totally not whining about the receivers. you must be drunk. not so hostile my roofer friend.

You and a few others are being total dooshbags bagging on a QB who just led the offense to 38 points. YOU must be drunk.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 12:51 AM
Grab bag of receivers maybe?

It's hard to get a rhythm when the WR corps change day to day.

I think there could be some of that... I just don't understand where he has come up with this double-clutch he had tonight all of a sudden.

A friend of mine, MN Gophers alum who loves college football following the putrid performance by the Gophers today wanted to watch some good college football and so was texting me during the game with observations.

His biggest one: Landry looks scared at times. When he does, he gets in trouble. When he doesn't, he throws lasers.

It's concerning because I'm sure that shows up in ways on actual game film, too. You know... d-formations, coverages, and blitz packages that get him squirly.

And, I'll just say, I don't see that from a lot of the other top QBs in the country. The opposite in fact... that they tend more to be very steady eddy. And the funny thing about that is, those QBs that are often more steady (which I think is a good trait in your QB) DON'T necessarily make the big plays that Landry frequently does.

Perplexing...that's all I'm saying.

Blue
9/25/2011, 12:54 AM
Double clutch? Like the pump fake? Bc the pump fake works like a charm.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 12:57 AM
I hope you are trolling.

Not really... and "grit" probably isn't the right word I was searching for. I just mean... in tight spots he needs to find that steady hand he had at the end of the year last year.

In a way, I almost think the losses last year helped him, because it took the pressure off him to do everything by himself, and let him play "with nothing to lose."

Make no mistake, I'll take Lanry over 95% of the QB's out there. Just want to see him close that gap so that we could all say we wouldn't trade him for anyone in the game. Heupel got there, as did Sam. It's the next step, IMO, for Landry.

Blue
9/25/2011, 01:00 AM
I agree with that. My concern is the D. They have further to go to close the gap than Landry does. Of course they always end up looking solid towards the end of the year.

All in all Im pretty pleased with where we're at. We've beaten some decent teams early and we're only gonna get better.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 01:02 AM
You and a few others are being total dooshbags bagging on a QB who just led the offense to 38 points. YOU must be drunk.

Not bagging... just nit-picking. And that only because the pressure is only going to ramp up from here on out.

I believe in Landry just based on the last three games of the year last year. But it's time for him to hit that switch. I'm sure there are a lot of things that they can get corrected off this game's film that will put him more in a comfort zone when facing those situations later in the year.

SoonerAtKU
9/25/2011, 01:03 AM
I'm just going to put this out there, and please don't take it the wrong way.

When exactly did Bradford lead the team to erase a double-digit deficit? Hasn't Landry done that more than once now, including 17 down versus Nebraska?

Blue
9/25/2011, 01:03 AM
Oh and I think having a healthy Broyles and Stills together will open everything else up. I still think we'll see alot of Finch and the TEs and Millard later on as well. Hopefully this offense will be a fine tuned machine in a month despite Landrys mouthbreathing tendencies. ;)

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 01:08 AM

When exactly did Bradford lead the team to erase a double-digit deficit? Hasn't Landry done that more than once now, including 17 down versus Nebraska?

VERY good point.

Curly Bill
9/25/2011, 01:08 AM

There's something to be said for not getting into a double digit deficit. :tongue:

Blue
9/25/2011, 01:12 AM
O-line is looking good as well. They are giving him time and a nice pocket.

Curly Bill
9/25/2011, 01:14 AM
O-line is looking good as well. They are giving him time and a nice pocket.

Good thing cause while LJ can throw the ol ball around, I don't think he could run outta sight in a day. :tongue:

SoonerKnight
9/25/2011, 01:15 AM

Exactly and when Coach H was playing he was not always the one who won the game for us! The D played awesom that year but not the entire year they had some rough games. You read the comments from T Lewis and he makes it clear that some of the players kinda took the game off and guessed that might happen as they did not mentally prepare for the game as well as they should have. He even stated OU was not the #1 team in the country right now!

Also, the game against FSU was very physical on the D. How man players for FSU could not practice Monday? Because they were so doggone sore. I think these players were hurting still and did not take Monday's practice off physically but maybe a little mentally. They got punched in the face and then came back swinging. The Dkept them to 14 points until the 4th and then it was too late the O had hit the gas pedal. I will state I have DVR'd the game and will watch later but I think this O is going to be a little more balanced and throw some new wrinkles out there against Texas and A&M. I actually think this D if they are pumped and play to potential will embarrass the whorns!!

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 01:25 AM
OK... so let's consider Landry off-limits for discussion.

Is it ok to talk about the fortuitous strain to a certain kicker's quad? (KIDDING... KIDDING... well... sort of :D)

MyT Oklahoma
9/25/2011, 01:25 AM
Landry Jones = 2 and 0 in bowl games.

Sam Bradford = 0 and 2 in bowl games.

I still love Sammy of course but I am tired of people sandbagging Landry.

Curly Bill
9/25/2011, 01:30 AM
OK... so let's consider Landry off-limits for discussion.

Is it ok to talk about the fortuitous strain to a certain kicker's quad? (KIDDING... KIDDING... well... sort of :D)

I didn't know he was hurt, I just figured we'd finally seen the light. Either way, I liked seeing x-points that got more than 12 feet off the ground.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 01:35 AM
I didn't know he was hurt, I just figured we'd finally seen the light. Either way, I liked seeing x-points that got more than 12 feet off the ground.

I'll just note it's nice to confirm that Hunnicut is ready if needed.

Blue
9/25/2011, 01:36 AM
Landrys not off limits. Maybe I overreacted but I cant understand how people aren't thrilled he's the guy back there throwin the rock for us. We've been completely spoiled and forgot what it was like to have Patrick Fletcher and Jake Sills back there tossing dead ducks.

Last week at FSU and we were tied 13 up and they had all the momentum and we were third and long. Yall remember. I said to my pops next to me, "Landry is playing like ****!" Next play-clutch third down laser to broyles. Next play- Clutch beautiful ball to Stills in the end zone. Thats how its gonna be. Frustrating at times but perfectly thrown balls at other times. He's made some SICK passes this year. Lookin forward to see how he does the rest of the way.

hawaii 5-0
9/25/2011, 01:38 AM
Not one of Landry's best games. Or the Defense's. Nice to see him spread it around to a plethora of receivers. Not nice to see him double pump it and still force it to Heywood for 5 yards when he was double covered.

I'll take the win with a promise of improvement.

I still wanna see Finch on the slot, catch one over the middle in full stride.

5-0

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2011, 01:46 AM
We've been completely spoiled and forgot what it was like to have Patrick Fletcher and Jake Sills back there tossing dead ducks.

Gah! Don't do that. I HAD almost completely flushed that from my mind. Dang it! Now I gotta start over and hypnotize it out of my mind again.

Blue
9/25/2011, 01:47 AM
;) By the way thats a winky not a corky.

SoonerKnight
9/25/2011, 02:22 AM
Landrys not off limits. Maybe I overreacted but I cant understand how people aren't thrilled he's the guy back there throwin the rock for us. We've been completely spoiled and forgot what it was like to have Patrick Fletcher and Jake Sills back there tossing dead ducks. Last week at FSU and we were tied 13 up and they had all the momentum and we were third and long. Yall remember. I said to my pops next to me, "Landry is playing like ****!" Next play-clutch third down laser to broyles. Next play- Clutch beautiful ball to Stills in the end zone. Thats how its gonna be. Frustrating at times but perfectly thrown balls at other times. He's made some SICK passes this year. Lookin forward to see how he does the rest of the way.

You got highlights of that? LOL!! Looks like everyone has forgotten the past!

EatLeadCommie
9/25/2011, 03:27 AM
It was typical Landry. You sit there and yell at your TV and call him a communist, etc... and all of a sudden he has 400 yards. WTH? He was awful on his two INTs and good the rest of the way. Had some untimely drops.

CrimsonRez
9/25/2011, 03:50 AM
he can throw 10 int's a game but if we win i could give a damn

Sooner_Tuf
9/25/2011, 04:01 AM
Most of the team played pretty uninspired tonight, Landry was one of the few that looked like he was trying all night.

oumartin
9/25/2011, 06:42 AM
To whomever said Sam went undefeated his second year. No he dent!

While Landry makes you wanna reach through the screen and joke him out sometimes the guy seems to perform when the chips are down and he needs to get the team down the field. Down double digits like one poster said in two games and Landry was a huge part in the winning of both of those games.
Peyton Manning throws alot if INTs and he's a god. I'm not putting Landry in Peytons qb class but good grief. Peoples perceptions are off kilter a bit.

Landry is the starter and I think a really good qb and I think he'll be getting even better as the season rolls on.

OUinFLA
9/25/2011, 08:03 AM
Landry seems to "toss" quite a few passes this year, rather than throwing them.
Makes me cringe when he "tosses".

but, he's certainly become a pretty good "come-from-behind" leader.

HAMTTX
9/25/2011, 08:12 AM
I agree with you. I love watching OU teams, but on occasion they lose their intensity. It is the only character flaw of a Bob Stoop's coached team that I can bring up. It seems to pop up at strange times. Last night at the beginning of the game, that was not the same team we saw against FSU. I also have to add that OU is a different team without Stills. He brings something to the table that is hard to define. With him in there I feel much more comfortable, I don't know about any of you. I also think that the loss against LSU, and Florida in the MNC games reflect this as well. Bob should have three titles not one. I attribute that to the intensity level at any given time. Don't take it wrong it is not about good or bad coaching, it is something else. If they get a handle on that I think they can play with Alabama or LSU or anyone else for that matter.

badger
9/25/2011, 08:22 AM
Landry Jones = 2 and 0 in bowl games.

Sam Bradford = 0 and 2 in bowl games.

I still love Sammy of course but I am tired of people sandbagging Landry.

Based on some of the outstanding play we've seen around the country with the likes of RG3 and others, we are probably not going to see Landry win a Heisman. HOWEVER, he'll have the chance at one trophy Sammie wanted but never got: the crystal ball.

Landry is very lucky to have Stills and Broyles to throw to, but Sam had his own luck with his own top guys like Gresham et al.

marfacowboy
9/25/2011, 08:29 AM
Oh and I think having a healthy Broyles and Stills together will open everything else up. I still think we'll see alot of Finch and the TEs and Millard later on as well. Hopefully this offense will be a fine tuned machine in a month despite Landrys mouthbreathing tendencies. ;)

Agreed. Broyles is the star, but we shouldn't ever underestimate how important Stills is to the offense. That kid is good and a vocal leader. I think Jones has a lot more confidence knowing he's got two guys he can always count on. There were more than a handful of miscues last night in the passing game. Blown routes, Landry throwing the ball to spots where there was no receiver. I have to think the receiver blew the route. But I also agree we need a TE to throw to underneath. There are big gaps in defenses Jones is missing because there's no target in those gaps. An easy thing to fix, however.

JLMSOONER
9/25/2011, 08:33 AM
Landry does a great job for us, but he is good for a "DOH" moment once or twice a game. He only seems paicky to me when really under pressure. Almost like he doesn't want to get hit. That is when most of his "DOH" moments occur. Maybe they need to peel the blue jersey ioff during practice every now and again. He's not used to being hit. How many times has he been sacked this year? Two or 3? Not many. I think he has had more "DOH" moments, but avoided the sack. Oline has been coming on. Hope Habern is ok. Any word? My concern is the D. We seem to be reall soft over the middle. Bend and not break I guess, but I like the dominent D of the past. The 3 man pass rush drives me crazy. If the QB has 20 minutes back there coverage is going to break down some where. But, last I checked we were 3-0 and played 3 pretty good teams. This will help us down the road. I like our chances with Landry.

BigTip
9/25/2011, 08:38 AM
Landry is fine. But questioning why we can't dominate a non-ranked team is in our nature. If we can't crush these non-contenders, how are we suppose to handle the "good" teams?

That's why I started a "Are you worried about our defense?" thread after the Tulsa game.

I think we will lose some #1 votes this week.

budbarrybob
9/25/2011, 08:40 AM
LJ just doesn't strike me as a fiery, rah rah leader. Thats the only knock I can think of against him. So, yeah, I got nothing.

VA Sooner
9/25/2011, 08:48 AM
The tale of two Landrys.... needed to get in gear last night and did starting in the second quarter. Missing two starting WRs didn't help momentum in the beginning... should have stuck with the running game in the beginning... and moving Whaley to starting RB with Millard in the beginning of the game. Bring in the passing game after opponents start respecting the run-game. Will give Landry more time.

Will be more challenging if Ben Habern is out a while... hope that arm heals quickly.

aurorasooner
9/25/2011, 09:06 AM
You need to give some credit to the Mizzou DC. He came in with a helluva game plan last night (as did their OC-Yost. Looked to me like Mizzou disguised their coverages & blitzes well which confused Landry somewhat.
Also I think our O has been pretty vanilla to not give anything away to the whorns (hopefully) (not many "shifts" & then motion etc). If our O ever gets Whaley 1 on 1 vs a DB a 3 or 4 times with some quality game-planning, he may take a couple long distance to the house. He was close on 1 last night.

I'm more worried about our D than our O. When you start giving yourself names (sharks) & start putting shark-cuts in your hair, you'd better be able to walk-the-walk. Stoops/Venables Ds, at least once a year, always make some team with a fast, mobile, somewhat accurate QB look like the next Heisman winner/1st round draft choice, as well. Then the next one we face, they'll make him look like sh*t.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2011, 09:10 AM
Here's what I've noticed about Landry Jones:

In 2009, he would either be "Bad Landry" or "Good Landry". Any time he faced adversity, Bad Landry would show up, throw a few picks, and go into a tailspin for the whole game.

In 2010, Bad Landry showed up in a couple of games and the pattern repeated. Then, about midway through 2010, he figured it out: making a terrible decision wasn't great, but you could redeem yourself. He developed a skill that the great QBs have (not saying he's great, just that he has this skill now): forgetting your last throw.

Think about the OSU game last year: Bad Landry throws three picks in the first half, shakes it off, and throws four TDs in the second half.

Think about the Big 12 Championship.

In 2011, he's maintaining that. Bad Landry showed up in the second and third quarters vs. FSU. Bad Landry showed up a couple of times last night. Good Landry won those games for us. Dude had 450+ passing and three TDs last night. His two INTs were dumb throws, but he didn't melt down like 2009 Landry would have.

GottaHavePride
9/25/2011, 09:57 AM
If I had got beat up as hard as our guys did against FSU, I would've slept all week and still felt like **** warmed over last night.

The team looked a little creaky? I don't blame them. Let's see how they look against Texas.

SoonerMom2
9/25/2011, 10:04 AM
FSU looked a lot worse in their game -- you could tell both teams last Saturday let it all out on the field and that tackling last week was as hard hitting as you could ever have. They did what they had to do last night and when we needed a stop they got it. MO didn't play last week and they were throwing everything in their arsenal at us. They were fresh and we looked tired at times plus Kenny Stiles and Dom Franks were not playing so several times receivers where not where Landry expected them to be. That one interception was a deflected ball that a lineman got his hand on the ball and hit it into the air.

Okie35
9/25/2011, 10:07 AM
FSU looked a lot worse in their game -- you could tell both teams last Saturday let it all out on the field and that tackling last week was as hard hitting as you could ever have. They did what they had to do last night and when we needed a stop they got it. MO didn't play last week and they were throwing everything in their arsenal at us. They were fresh and we looked tired at times plus Kenny Stiles and Dom Franks were not playing so several times receivers where not where Landry expected them to be. That one interception was a deflected ball that a lineman got his hand on the ball and hit it into the air.

Stills and Trey Franks but I knew who you meant. Both ints could've been avoided but either way his game looked like we were sleep walking. Even though it wasn't the greatest game its still says something to adjust and outscore them 35-14 after being down 14-3.

You need to give some credit to the Mizzou DC. He came in with a helluva game plan last night (as did their OC-Yost. Looked to me like Mizzou disguised their coverages & blitzes well which confused Landry somewhat.
Also I think our O has been pretty vanilla to not give anything away to the whorns (hopefully) (not many "shifts" & then motion etc). If our O ever gets Whaley 1 on 1 vs a DB a 3 or 4 times with some quality game-planning, he may take a couple long distance to the house. He was close on 1 last night.

I'm more worried about our D than our O. When you start giving yourself names (sharks) & start putting shark-cuts in your hair, you'd better be able to walk-the-walk. Stoops/Venables Ds, at least once a year, always make some team with a fast, mobile, somewhat accurate QB look like the next Heisman winner/1st round draft choice, as well. Then the next one we face, they'll make him look like sh*t.

I do think it was vanilla the only few new things I saw were the screens to Hanna & Millard when Missouri were blitzing their CBs. Also, BigTrip Missouri isn't a bad team.

rekamrettuB
9/25/2011, 10:12 AM
He threw some big league passes last night. Had 1 where he panicked when he should have taken a sack. Get that worked out and he'll be fine.

hawaii 5-0
9/25/2011, 12:10 PM
I hope Landry has a good warmup next week and the back-ups play the 2nd half against the Ballers.

5-0

Wishboned
9/25/2011, 12:19 PM

Bradford never went undefeated during the regular season.

MyT Oklahoma
9/25/2011, 12:25 PM
Landry is still a work in progress but then who isn't? Lots of talent there and our players respect him. Glad he's a Sooner.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/25/2011, 12:39 PM
I'm just glad mizzou was a home game for us.

MyT Oklahoma
9/25/2011, 12:42 PM
I'm just glad mizzou was a home game for us.

Point well taken.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2011, 12:50 PM
I disagree with the premise - I see the same LJ as last year with some improvement (as expected). He will not be a 1st round NFL pick like Sam, but he is a very good college QB. Given 40-50 throws a game, he is going to make a couple bad decisions. But the good thing is that he is tough and doesn't played scared after a mistake. And he is still improving.

sperry
9/25/2011, 01:02 PM
He played like Landry. He's a very good, not great quarterback. He will look better with Stills out there, but he's not and never will be Sam Bradford, or even Jason White.