PDA

View Full Version : Change in mentality/philosophy

soonercastor
9/24/2011, 10:58 PM
It appears to me that we have a different mentality this year than we had in the previous years. We're no longer concerned about looking good for the voters, style points, and all that other BS. It's pretty much business.

I for one welcome this change. Not saying we shouldn't improve our game, because we certainly have to do that and I'm sure that will come as the season goes on.

1) Do you agree with this assertion
2) Do you like it or hate it?

TMcGee86
9/24/2011, 11:01 PM
I just don't think we are that good. This offense just doesn't have the ability to score at will like some we've had in the past.

Maybe when Stills is back and we actually have him and Broyles at full speed for the first time this year.

Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if LSU jumps us in the polls.

Blue
9/24/2011, 11:05 PM
:les:I like our resolve.

That said I rank us at 3 behind LSU and Bama.

Okie35
9/24/2011, 11:07 PM
I just don't think we are that good. This offense just doesn't have the ability to score at will like some we've had in the past.

Maybe when Stills is back and we actually have him and Broyles at full speed for the first time this year.

I like grinding it out more than destroying team it builds character. I don't care if LSU and Bama are ahead of us. They can have the top spots for now.

soonercastor
9/24/2011, 11:08 PM

LSU sure, there's is no denying they've had one mof the most difficult schedules and have been very impressive. Not sold on Bama yet, today was the first time I was impressed by them

Doesn't matter.

possumfat
9/24/2011, 11:09 PM
I totally agree with you, we are not playing at a level on either side of the ball to compete with LSU or Bama yet.................not saying we can't but if we plated them next week both of their defensive units would have Landry on the run most of the game.

Sooner5030
9/24/2011, 11:09 PM
We're always fun to watch. I think our defense still needs some work. Our offense will only be limited by stubborn play calling. Stretch the field and make the defense play more than the 10 yards from LOS and we will get the yardage on anyone.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/24/2011, 11:11 PM
I agree, I think we just aren't that good. Or at the very least, we're inconsistent. But we've shown that we can win in a big environment on the road, which is more than we could say around this time last year.

But we don't have to be the best. We just have to be better than our opponent each Saturday for about 3 1/2 hours.

BASSooner
9/24/2011, 11:18 PM
It appears to me that we have a different mentality this year than we had in the previous years. We're no longer concerned about looking good for the voters, style points, and all that other BS. It's pretty much business.

I for one welcome this change. Not saying we shouldn't improve our game, because we certainly have to do that and I'm sure that will come as the season goes on.

1) Do you agree with this assertion
2) Do you like it or hate it?

I certainly love it. Ever since Heupel became co-offensive coordinator, I knew that we were going to take this approach. I was in school when style points were the thing and what not but I welcome this more. Look what it's done for us so far.

1) beat a top 5 team....on the road.
2) come back from an 11 point deficit (argue Nebraska if you wish). In the past, when we were down, usually we would just shut down and give up but not this time. We took care of business.

However, I do agree with some of the posters here though. We're certainly not ready to compete against the likes of LSU or Bama...yet. If we can fix our mistakes (talking to you Landry!) we're set.

BlownGP
9/24/2011, 11:23 PM
WOW, what is with you guys? We win a close game to a Mizzy team which is not bad and the sky is falling? lol
Im not drinking any OU Kool-Aid but scoring 50+ points a game won’t make us any better. It sure as hell didn’t help in 2008.

I do agree or secondary needs work and running QBs cause problems for anybody. But being tied up in FSU and down 14-3 at home, OU teams of the past would have blown it and lost those games. Just win games no matter what.

Now about LSU and BAMA. As much as I hate to admit LSU does look good but when the game is on the line and Lee needs to move the ball in the air. Thats when they’re going to fail. There D looks great but to be honest they haven’t played any powerhouse teams yet. Nobody to grind it out like other SEC teams...

Thats all.lol

Blue
9/24/2011, 11:40 PM
Naw I definitely believe this team has a chance to be special. We're way better than we were last year at this time. We've had some injuries and we're not even close to gelling completely yet. We have a chance to be really good. Just win baby.

oudavid1
9/24/2011, 11:41 PM

This!

rock on sooner
9/25/2011, 10:16 AM
Bama and LSU both look strong on the defensive side of the ball. Bama has a tough run game but QB is still learning. LSU on offense
is still a work in progress. Remember, folks, this was our third game of the season and it came after an incredibly hyped second game.
I feel it was a given that the same intensity at FSU would be missing for Mizzou. That said OUr D shut out Mizzou for the 2nd and 3rd
quarters. Big plays still hurt but OUr ball control game after the Mizzou scores put sanity back in. Ball State is next then the meat and
potatoes begins in earnest. One game at a time. That's all...one game at a time!

SoonerMom2
9/25/2011, 10:29 AM
LSU gave up over 500 yards to West Virginia with this defense you are all touting. Why do some of you always hold OU to a different standard?

C&CDean
9/25/2011, 10:34 AM
Another thread with some stupid in it.

hawaii 5-0
9/25/2011, 10:40 AM
Alabama or someone else needs to take care of LSU. If they make it to the Championship it will be a home game for them.
There's a few teams that can beat them on a given day.

5-0

IronHorseSooner
9/25/2011, 10:42 AM
LSU gave up over 500 yards to West Virginia with these defense you are all touting. Why do some of you always hold OU to a different standard?

I, personally, don't; however, any team that is not in the SEC is seen as suspect in the eyes of the media, even though that same media put that non-SEC team at #1 themselves. To me, it's not just competing against your individual opponents, it means you must beat the SEC-mythos as well. I will go back to my point on a separate thread, and that is that you don't drop a #1 team until they lose. Besides a numerical ranking, being #1 is different than being any other team out there, in that you get EVERYBODY'S best shot every week. 'Bama last year was a prime example. As well, the past few MNC winners all had tough games in conference on their way to the title, even at home (anybody remember the Iron Bowl in 2009 or South Carolina or Arky at Auburn last year).

Yes, we have some areas to improve, and, yes, we need to get some guys healed, but I don't see why we would be hitting the panic button, yet. I can guaran-darn-tee you that we won't be flat against *.

NormanPride
9/25/2011, 10:43 AM
Replace Mizzou with Auburn or Miss State and everyone would be saying how we gutted out a tough win against a tricky team. <izzou is probably better than both of those teams. Their only other loss was in OT on the road at ASU, which just trashed a good USC team.

When it mattered (the middle of the game where they did nothing but go three and out), their offense gained ~150 yards. The first quarter was a disaster, but the last quarter was just playing clock management to get a win safely.

Chill, people. We have work to do, but this is only the third game.

PLaw
9/25/2011, 10:46 AM
I'm most impressed that this team can take a punch and they are willing to hit back. It says alot to be down 14-3, keep fighting, and ultimately win the game while controlling the game.

Boomer

IronHorseSooner
9/25/2011, 10:53 AM
I have been looking at the national stuff on-line and on Sirius-XM College Football, and no one is talking about this game, or how we struggled. It is what it is- a good tough win against a game, talented, motivated opponent, when we were without two of OUr most explosive offensive weapons, as well as being banged-up after a tough and emotional Top 5 slugfest.

soonercastor
9/25/2011, 11:08 AM
Another thread with some stupid in it.

Solid contribution.

Sooner Cal
9/25/2011, 03:11 PM
We totally dominated them after the first 3 possessions until we let up for their final score. That is a Stoops trademark, give up a meaningless TD at game's end.
1 really bad play call was the deep route to Miller that was picked. He's an underneath receiver, not an over the top type. Not having Stills or Franks caused some rhythmn problems early on. Whaley and Clay looked very good. Millard is a load. Landed missed some open guys, Jaz in the end zone and Clay coming out of the backfield. I think most plays were pre- determined

En_Fuego
9/25/2011, 03:28 PM
I have been looking at the national stuff on-line and on Sirius-XM College Football, and no one is talking about this game, or how we struggled. It is what it is- a good tough win against a game, talented, motivated opponent, when we were without two of OUr most explosive offensive weapons, as well as being banged-up after a tough and emotional Top 5 slugfest.

Yes

EatLeadCommie
9/25/2011, 03:35 PM

I think the offense still has that ability. The thing is that Josh is taking a completely different approach. We are playing more smashmouth this year with the running game. That results in more clock being burnt and fewer possessions and snaps. It is also going to result in a few more punts. The opening possession was a prime example.

I'm not necessarily keen on this philosophy. I mean, it's the right approach to take, but I think it's maybe better served in a rebuilding year like next year. Last night we were sitting there running it up the gut when we should have been testing Mizzou side-to-side where they don't have the defensive speed to match.

The main problem with this team is in the secondary. Too many lapses and busts. If that doesn't improve, we are likely to lose a couple games this year.

Neath a Western Sky
9/25/2011, 03:38 PM
I certainly love it. Ever since Heupel became co-offensive coordinator, I knew that we were going to take this approach. I was in school when style points were the thing and what not but I welcome this more. Look what it's done for us so far.

1) beat a top 5 team....on the road.
2) come back from an 11 point deficit (argue Nebraska if you wish). In the past, when we were down, usually we would just shut down and give up but not this time. We took care of business.

However, I do agree with some of the posters here though. We're certainly not ready to compete against the likes of LSU or Bama...yet. If we can fix our mistakes (talking to you Landry!) we're set.

Great stuff; puts in perspective for me.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 05:33 PM
football players don't care about voters, style points, or anything else that doesn't involve the game

sperry
9/25/2011, 05:49 PM
IT wasn't that we didn't care about "looking pretty" yesterday. We just played bad. Hopefully it was just an off night and not a sign of things to come. The offense is definitely better when Stills is in the game, and I think the Franks suspension has shown that Franks is at best our 5th best receiver. I think Broyles, Stills, Miller, and Reynolds will make a very nice receiving corps for the remainder of the season.

C&CDean
9/25/2011, 05:56 PM
Solid contribution.

Probably the most solid in the thread.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 05:57 PM
I've got a solid prairie dogging

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2011, 07:00 PM
football players don't care about voters, style points, or anything else that doesn't involve the game

Sometimes they do care about their twitter following...

TXBOOMER
9/25/2011, 07:26 PM
We are not trying to go out and look sluggish. Believe me Josh would love to score at wil and get style pointsl. Bottom line Mizzou ain't bad. Teams coming off of a big road win often struggle against teams they are suppose to beat following a big road win.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 07:51 PM
Coach Stoops to the team:

"Guys, I have a plan. DBs, I want you to blow coverages and assignments tonight so that we keep it close..Got it? Good."

Curly Bill
9/25/2011, 08:19 PM
Coach Stoops to the team:

"Guys, I have a plan. DBs, I want you to blow coverages and assignments tonight so that we keep it close..Got it? Good."

So, that's what happened? I knew there had to be an answer. :beguiled:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/25/2011, 08:20 PM
I know...Sometimes when I read stuff it makes me wonder if people actually think that.

NOVSooner
9/26/2011, 09:24 AM
as mentioned it was the 3rd game of the season. we all know that for some reason or the other we dont usually hit stride till after the RRS. Frustrating? yes. Worth throwing the season away at this point? No. we'll be fine. still some tough games to be played and a trap game or 2 to look out for. But if we handle our business heading into the A/M game i like our chances.