PDA

View Full Version : Broyles = Rice?

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/24/2011, 09:44 PM
Not saying Broyles is or will be an all time great like Jerry Rice. But what I remember from when I was a kid that Rice, wasn't the fastest or the biggest. He just ran perfect routes and had great hands, and was always great with YAC.

Is that a fair assessment of what Broyles can be like in the NFL?

cvsooner
9/24/2011, 09:53 PM
Rice was fairly tall. Taller than you might think.

Sooner_Tuf
9/24/2011, 11:07 PM
Rice was 6'2" (probably still is), which made him a taller than average WR for the twenty seasons he played.

Other than that I think the OP's description of Rice is pretty dead on.

As for Broyles being the next Jerry Rice. Sure he has a chance to be. Size isn't on his side as he is quite a bit smaller while their of lots of Wr's biger than Rice in the game today. I don't think the odds are in his favor for that reason. I do think he will make an impact in the NFL. He's a different kind of player than Rice so I'm not sure it is a good comparison.

Curly Bill
9/24/2011, 11:10 PM
I think Broyles can be a great NFL receiver. Comparing him to Jerry Rice isn't fair at all, and isn't very accurate either.

And yeah, Rice was not small.

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/24/2011, 11:22 PM
My bad. I see now that Rice was 6'2". I could of sworn he was like 5'11".

8timechamps
9/24/2011, 11:43 PM
The NFL has moved away from that the accepted norms were for certain position players were. There have been a lot more "small" WRs enter the league and do well, and theirs been some undersized QBs that have made the change too! I you have the talent, and the heart, you you can get there. Only time will tell, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up as a very serviceable ER in the league.

Blue
9/24/2011, 11:45 PM
Broyles= Hines Ward and Stills = Steve Smith Carolina?