PDA

View Full Version : Automatic touchback in HS football

deweydw
9/24/2011, 11:33 AM
I came across a HS football game on ESPNU last night. The game was in Oregon. I had just tuned in when there was a kick-off. The receiver caught the ball just in the end zone. And started to run. But they blew the whistles. And called it a touch back and brought it out to the 20 yrd line. The announcers said it's an automatic touch back when caught in the end zone. Or any time the kick off goes into the end zone. This is the first time I've heard of this. Is this happening in HS football across the country?

reevie
9/24/2011, 11:35 AM
Been like that in Oklahoma forever

deweydw
9/24/2011, 11:38 AM
Really?? Like I said, this is the first time I've seen this. That's just silly. Are they thinking it will cut down on injuries? What's the difference if he catches it on the 3 yrd line. Why kick it at all?

SoonerInFortSmith
9/24/2011, 11:52 AM
They have that rule in Arkansas too. I'm fairly sure that rule is pretty much universal in HS football.

Lott's Bandana
9/24/2011, 11:59 AM
I believe in college, if the ball touches the ground in the end zone prior to being touched, it is a touchback, regardless if the receiver wants to pick it up and run.

NFL doesn't have such rules.

deweydw
9/24/2011, 12:17 PM
They have that rule in Arkansas too. I'm fairly sure that rule is pretty much universal in HS football.

I haven't seen it in Texas yet. But I don't doubt they do that. Just silly...

sooneredaco
9/24/2011, 12:27 PM
This is further evidence of the woosification of America. Sad just sad!

northspeter
9/24/2011, 01:58 PM
texas uses ncaa rules... it's a touchback everywhere else in the country per highschool rules... and has been at least since i played in the early 90's...

Frozen Sooner
9/24/2011, 11:56 PM
texas uses ncaa rules... it's a touchback everywhere else in the country per highschool rules... and has been at least since i played in the early 90's...

This. Federation Rules mandate a touchback.

LB, I'm pretty sure a free kick is a live ball once it goes past ten yards (or nine in Eugene) and remains live even if it lands in the end zone. But I'm probably wrong on that.

John Kochtoston
9/25/2011, 12:22 AM
It's always been an automatic touchback for as long as I've been watching.

papawlambert
9/25/2011, 01:05 PM
It is definitely not called in our 5A Texas football. My Grandson kicked 8 of his last 10 beyond the end of the endzone. They were touchbacks. The other 2 were caught 5-8yds deep and they ran them back a little bit. If it is a rule I'm not sure our dumb azz referees know about it.
Papaw

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2011, 01:59 PM
It is definitely not called in our 5A Texas football. My Grandson kicked 8 of his last 10 beyond the end of the endzone. They were touchbacks. The other 2 were caught 5-8yds deep and they ran them back a little bit. If it is a rule I'm not sure our dumb azz referees know about it.
Papaw

Already explained above, but Texas uses NCAA rules, while every other state uses Federation rules. Under Federation rules, it's an automatic touchback. Under NCAA rules, it's not.

papawlambert
9/25/2011, 02:41 PM
I misread his post, sorry.
Papaw

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2011, 02:46 PM
Nothing to be sorry about. Not everyone has time to read every post in a thread, and sometimes people aren't always clear with what they say.