PDA

View Full Version : Moneyball

SanJoaquinSooner
9/23/2011, 06:58 PM
getting great reviews.

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 07:34 PM
I read the book many years ago when I was an Oakland A's season tix holder.

It changed my life.

reevie
9/23/2011, 09:03 PM
It's a terrific book

soonerhubs
9/23/2011, 09:14 PM
I'm reading it this weekend. 8.55 on amazon kindle. Awesome read so far.

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 10:22 PM
It shows you sometimes the obvious is extremely difficult to see.

Open your mind.

CowboyMRW
9/24/2011, 01:38 AM
Just got back from watching this movie. Loved it. Plan on buying the book in the coming weeks so I can read it

SanJoaquinSooner
9/24/2011, 09:34 AM
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/moneyball/critic-reviews

Lott's Bandana
9/24/2011, 12:09 PM
What interests me is how I cannot imagine the book as a movie. It is a story of analyzing numbers and thwarting the status quo. How is that a movie?

I've decided not to wait for NetFlix, I'll go see it.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2011, 10:43 AM
Loved the book. I'm with Lott though, I can't imagine it as a movie.

picasso
9/28/2011, 12:32 AM
He wasn't a pioneer. I heard some national radio guys last weekend ripping the facts behind it.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/28/2011, 12:35 AM
He wasn't a pioneer. I heard some national radio guys last weekend ripping the facts behind it.

I heard a couple of Aggies ripping Picasso for his paintings failing to reflect reality.

oudavid1
9/28/2011, 02:01 AM
Went to go see it this past weekend, even my date (female) liked it. At first she wasnt really into it but knew i wanted to see it but as the movie went on she really started to enjoy it like I was. The idea that even non-sports fans like it really makes it a great watch. Goes on just a tab too long, but other than that is really awesome.

ouleaf
9/28/2011, 09:08 AM
What interests me is how I cannot imagine the book as a movie. It is a story of analyzing numbers and thwarting the status quo. How is that a movie?

Loved the book. I'm with Lott though, I can't imagine it as a movie.

It's only based of the book. It took bits and pieces from the book and weaved in their own fictional elements to make it into a dramatic movie. If it was a movie that focused more and more on the statistical elements like the book did, it would not appeal to a broad audience.

Lott's Bandana
9/28/2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks Leaf, I have a hard time suspending reality at movies, so knowing it was fictionalized will keep me from doing a slow burn.

As long as they are making **** up, do they have the A's winning an ALCS? (it was a frustrating time, no doubt)

diegosooner
10/4/2011, 11:39 AM
I listened to an interview of Dave Justice, who played on the 2002 A's. He said the movie did very well in creating what Beane was like and the dilemma he faced in building a team on a shoestring budget. Of course, he said, there were dramatic scenes that didn't really happen. But overall, he thought the movie was great.

I hope to see it following the OU victory on Saturday.

jk the sooner fan
10/4/2011, 11:46 AM
i thought this was about the Wisconsin running back

TUSooner
10/4/2011, 12:17 PM
It shows you sometimes the obvious is extremely difficult to see.

Open your mind.
Shouldn't this be in th political thread?!

I'm sorry.

I'd like to see the movie even though I've never really liked the As.

soonerhubs
10/5/2011, 03:58 PM
I finished the book last weekend. I enjoyed it for the most part. I don't even watch baseball, but the statistics and the idea that we need to look at appropriate indicators when making predictions fits right into any social science, including mine.

ChickSoonerFan
10/9/2011, 07:38 PM
I like the movie as much as my date did, maybe even more! :) I thought it was a great movie. Never read the book.