PDA

View Full Version : FEMA

OUHOMER
9/23/2011, 05:29 PM
How exactly does FEMA work, Let say a tornadoe, fire , destroys my house. I have insurance... So what eactly do i use FEMA for?

badger
9/23/2011, 05:56 PM
Insurance adjusters won't block the streets from looters, lookie loos, media, etc. Insurance adjusters won't respond immediately to a disaster. Insurance adjusters won't search homes for missing people or pets. Insurance adjusters won't get medical personnel on the scene to assist the wounded.

You need the government's help for many things in an emergency. Security, search and rescue, immediate medical help, immediate financial help. FEMA doesn't do all of that, but it does have a hand in it.

OutlandTrophy
9/23/2011, 06:08 PM
as usual, Badger is just writing words. None of what she wrote is Washington DC's/FEMA's job.

Those are all 100% local and State government functions. Your local police and fire departments will block streets and search houses. If the damage is over a wide enough area they might call in the National Guard to help, I know they did for the MAy 3rd tornado. They will also use NG helos for fires and other things where they need their specialized services.

diverdog
9/24/2011, 10:53 AM
as usual, Badger is just writing words. None of what she wrote is Washington DC's/FEMA's job.

Those are all 100% local and State government functions. Your local police and fire departments will block streets and search houses. If the damage is over a wide enough area they might call in the National Guard to help, I know they did for the MAy 3rd tornado. They will also use NG helos for fires and other things where they need their specialized services.

Did you forget about Katrina or Andrew or 9/11? The state could not handle any of those disasters without federal help and lots of it.

Lott's Bandana
9/24/2011, 12:05 PM
FEMA documents individual situations which later allows for Small Business Administration and Disaster Relief Loans to be applied for and granted. One small part of what they do.

Helped me after Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Was able to get an SBA loan to supplement insurance to replace my destroyed pickup truck.

badger
9/26/2011, 12:07 PM
as usual, Badger is just writing words.

Doesn't everyone here write words ;)

For major disasters, federal/state help is needed. Always.

sooner_born_1960
9/26/2011, 12:14 PM
How exactly does FEMA work, Let say a tornadoe, fire , destroys my house. I have insurance... So what eactly do i use FEMA for?
In your particular case, FEMA is of no value. Hell, if there is anything left for looters, you'd just as soon they got it. You'd rather have the insurance money.

pphilfran
9/26/2011, 12:22 PM
Doesn't everyone here write words ;)

For major disasters, federal/state help is needed. Always.

Hell, no...each state should spend a fortune on hardware and manning for a major disaster that might happen every 5 years....

Mississippi Sooner
9/26/2011, 12:39 PM
After Katrina, FEMA supplied me and my family with a very valuable commodity: ice. Something so simple, but when you go for almost two weeks with no electricity, you appreciate really appreciate it. And, unlike some of the greedy business owners who were charging five times the normal price, if they had any at all, the FEMA trucks gave away more than twice the amount in a commercial bag for free. That's a big deal when you have no tv or a/c, you have to heat water on a propane camp stove and gasoline is rationed to the point that driving more than ten miles at a time can be risky.

sooner_born_1960
9/26/2011, 12:47 PM
There you go OUHOMER, ice. I stand corrected.

pphilfran
9/26/2011, 12:52 PM
There you go OUHOMER, ice. I stand corrected.

So you think Oklahoma should have enough stand by eq and manning to completely control the aftereffects of an F5 Joplin tornado moving through downtown OKC?

sooner_born_1960
9/26/2011, 12:57 PM
States should handle their own emergencies, yes.
And, I was really only interested in answering OUHOMER's specific question.

pphilfran
9/26/2011, 01:23 PM
States should handle their own emergencies, yes.
And, I was really only interested in answering OUHOMER's specific question.

Then you better dig real deep into your pockets to fund the needed material...

OUHOMER
9/26/2011, 03:53 PM
Then you better dig real deep into your pockets to fund the needed material...
the question was geared toward indivduals who are insured, I understand the states would require financial aid.

pphilfran
9/26/2011, 04:01 PM
the question was geared toward indivduals who are insured, I understand the states would require financial aid.
Whoops...sorry..

OUHOMER
9/26/2011, 05:55 PM
I can see where a couple buys a house 40 years ago at say $15,000. raise their family, pay off the house and only have it insured for say $20,000. But there is no way they can replace it for $20,000. not incuding the contents, i see where a low interst loan would be needed.

Lott's Bandana
9/26/2011, 06:00 PM
I can see where a couple buys a house 40 years ago at say $15,000. raise their family, pay off the house and only have it insured for say $20,000. But there is no way they can replace it for $20,000. not incuding the contents, i see where a low interst loan would be needed.

Exactly the scenario with my destroyed pickup truck. The loan was 3% and was quite helpful.

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2011, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, an in addition to the really neat, extra large bags of ice they supplied, FEMA also bought me a new chainsaw and a Honda generator. I hope I never need the chainsaw again, but the generator does come in handy on an all too regular basis. We have frequent power outages here for no particular reason at all.

sooner_born_1960
9/27/2011, 10:52 AM
Free generators are cool. FEMA is absolutely worth every penny.

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2011, 11:06 AM
Hell, I don't know what FEMA is worth. My insurance paid for my property damage, and they gave us the chainsaws so that we could cut the trees out of the roads ourselves.

But what is FEMA worth? I dunno, but I hear Brownie is doing a heckuva job!