PDA

View Full Version : Senate and House drama on the spendin' bill

badger
9/23/2011, 01:51 PM
If you haven't heard by now, linky (http://newsok.com/senate-blocks-house-disaster-aid-bill/article/feed/299642?custom_click=headlines_widget)

In a tit-for-tat battle, the Senate first used a near party-line vote of 59-36 to derail the measure from the Republican-run House. The House bill would fund federal agencies and provide $3.7 billion in disaster assistance, partly paying for that aid with cuts in two loan programs that finance technological development.

Then, Senate Republicans refused to let the chamber vote on a compromise offered by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., that was similar to the House version but lacked the loan program cuts. A vote on Reid's measure was set for Monday afternoon, but Republicans seemed likely to prevail because Democrats would need 60 votes to win — exceeding the 53 votes they have.

This reminds me of when a bunch of people campaigned to vote against Tulsa's river tax. They won. And what do you get for winning?

Nothing.

Nothing happened because you won.

Hooray, nothing.

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2011, 01:58 PM
So, in Tulsa, the taxes went up anyway?

badger
9/23/2011, 02:02 PM
So, in Tulsa, the taxes went up anyway?

LOL. The only good arguments for "no" were that our sales taxes were already pretty high anyway from such stuff as Vision 2025 et al, and that the river tax was kind of thrown together and not very well promoted or organized.

The main "NO" proponents were saying that it wasn't THEIR river (since it was Tulsa County, areas that were not right next to the river tended to vote against) and on top of that, after it failed, they were once again in support of river development. Um, wtf?

The main reason I brought that up is that like the river tax, by voting against, you caused nothing to happen. So, you get nothing. Hooray?

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2011, 02:04 PM
So that something "can happen", I guess everyone should always vote "yes"? I'm confused.

badger
9/23/2011, 02:10 PM
Nah, I just think the process was kind of pointless. The House is sending stuff to the Senate that they know they have no chance of passing, Reid is counter-proposing things he knows the Republicans will not allow.

Nothing passes, nothing happens... and something NEEDS to happen soon. Fed agencies can't operate without budgets.

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2011, 02:19 PM
I understand that something does have to happen in regard to the Federal budget. I just didn't follow your Tulsa analogy. Nothing had to happen on he river. I suppose, anyway.

badger
9/23/2011, 02:28 PM
Nah, it just reminded me of excessive campaigning for nothing to happen, that's all.

Midtowner
9/23/2011, 02:40 PM
If you haven't heard by now, linky (http://newsok.com/senate-blocks-house-disaster-aid-bill/article/feed/299642?custom_click=headlines_widget)

This reminds me of when a bunch of people campaigned to vote against Tulsa's river tax. They won. And what do you get for winning?

Nothing.

Nothing happened because you won.

Hooray, nothing.

OKC > Tulsa.