PDA

View Full Version : Boren, egg on the face, the PAC 12

okie52
9/23/2011, 10:27 AM
After reading Scott's statement that OU wasn't going to fit in the PAC 12 without TX we should never look in that direction again.

And Boren, looking more foolish by the day, stating after the fact "that they have had a wonderful time dealing with the PAC 12 over these last few weeks".

If this was all about leverage then why did Boren take the SEC out of the loop? They certainly would have taken OU (with or without A&M). Of course Boren has saddled us with OSU too so that supposedly limits our options.

For a guy that was dealt a pretty good hand and was representing the #1 team in the country it his hard to see how he could have played it worse.

For a prez that I believe has been great for OU his stock has taken a sharp dive IMO. And he needs to shut his mouth because he just makes OU look worse with his transparent CYA BS.

saucysoonergal
9/23/2011, 10:28 AM
Dean, lock this one too! ;)

okie52
9/23/2011, 10:32 AM
Are we in lockdown mode?

Soonermagik
9/23/2011, 10:39 AM
I agree he messed up. I would prefer to bail out to the SEC at this point. We have rabid fans, play tough D and it would be a good cultural fit.

sooneredaco
9/23/2011, 10:44 AM
Lock it. There are a gaziliion threads like this

cherokeebrewer
9/23/2011, 10:50 AM
And he needs to shut his mouth because he just makes OU look worse with his transparent CYA BS.
You're actually telling David Boren to shut his mouth?...Whoa!

okie52
9/23/2011, 10:52 AM
You're actually telling David Boren to shut his mouth?...Whoa!

Is that a big deal?

badger
9/23/2011, 10:52 AM
Are we in lockdown mode?

We are, because "My opinion on the realignment is..." threads are excessive at this point and would be best suited as a single post in the existing realignment threads, and do not warrant a new thread.

JudInKC
9/23/2011, 10:53 AM
After reading Scott's statement that OU wasn't going to fit in the PAC 12 without TX we should never look in that direction again.

And Boren, looking more foolish by the day, stating after the fact "that they have had a wonderful time dealing with the PAC 12 over these last few weeks".

If this was all about leverage then why did Boren take the SEC out of the loop? They certainly would have taken OU (with or without A&M). Of course Boren has saddled us with OSU too so that supposedly limits our options.

For a guy that was dealt a pretty good hand and was representing the #1 team in the country it his hard to see how he could have played it worse.

For a prez that I believe has been great for OU his stock has taken a sharp dive IMO. And he needs to shut his mouth because he just makes OU look worse with his transparent CYA BS.

I disagree with you on all points.

IMO, Scott's comments that "OU wasn't going to fit in the Pac 12 without Texas" meant us and OSU would be the only CST schools in the conference. Lots of travel for the athletic teams, which means more expenses. If OU and OSU went and Texas and Tech followed, then the travel isn't an issue nearly as much. Once it became clear Texas wasn't going West, I believe Bob convinced Boren we needed to stay put in the Big 12. As the saying goes, "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

Boren does not look foolish. He played it the right way. He had options available to us and gained leverage to get Texas to acquiesce and so far it's worked. Is Texas going to share revenues from the LHN? No, but OU doesn't want that either because we don't want to share the revenues from our channel which will be up and going soon. And, what good would it do for Boren to come out and say "we hated conversating with the Pac 12 and Larry Scott. Those folks are a bunch of fruits and nuts"? That does nothing but burn bridges that may be needed in the future. Boren is a successful politician and much smarter than you and me put together. He knew exactly what he was doing and did a great job, IMO.

OU is not and will not be interested in the SEC. It is a cess-pool and the conference is loaded with a bunch of uneducated rednecks. The southern states that make-up the SEC are some of the poorest in the country (other than Texas and Florida) so joining that conference does nothing more than open us up to more ridicule from the NCAA about cheating as everybody in that conference cheats. Besides, the only SEC school ranked higher than OU in academics is Vandy, aTm, and maybe Florida. Why would we want to hitch our boat to that?