PDA

View Full Version : Do uniforms make a difference?

pphilfran
9/23/2011, 10:27 AM
hAOfNEBZbE4

NormanPride
9/23/2011, 10:42 AM
Did they win?

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 10:57 AM
Some aggy player this week said he didn't go to aTm because he didn't like their colors.

If there weren't morans like this in the world, the uniform thing would be a non-issue. Apparently there are a lot of crows out there that are attracted to shiny things.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/23/2011, 10:58 AM
lmfao, this is hilarious... i can't decide if this was in jest or forreal.

pphilfran
9/23/2011, 10:59 AM
Did they win?

44-7 vs Marshall

oudavid1
9/23/2011, 11:03 AM
Did they win?

When your a nobody school, you do things like this to get players.

badger
9/23/2011, 11:04 AM
It apparently made a difference to them!

These videos are really cool to see, like Paul Rhodes getting emotional with his team after big wins, or teams getting excited about touring new facilities, etc. I think this stuff is good recruiting too, showing the team behind the scenes.

And if you had these boring unis before, I might get excited at a change too:
http://alumniconnections.com/olc/filelib/OUL/email/Library/BobcatIdea/April09/ou-football1.jpg

LittleElmSooner
9/23/2011, 11:07 AM
Some aggy player this week said he didn't go to aTm because he didn't like their colors.

If there weren't morans like this in the world, the uniform thing would be a non-issue. Apparently there are a lot of crows out there that are attracted to shiny things.

I guess our players are attracted to shiny things as well:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/dalbert1/Trophy.jpg

NormanPride
9/23/2011, 11:09 AM

Holy- And they LIKED orange and black? Someone got dropped on their head as a baby.

rekamrettuB
9/23/2011, 11:12 AM
I see that same reaction when watching a Tyler Perry flick in theaters.

The look like Hawaii now. Problem with both of those uniforms is one says Rainbows and one says Bobcats.

Aries
9/23/2011, 11:29 AM
It makes a lot less difference than players and coaching.

OUNASH
9/23/2011, 11:57 AM

Too many Cats, Not enough DAWGS. Need more Dawgs!!!!!! :fat:

8timechamps
9/23/2011, 11:58 AM
No.

For all the talk Nike and UA throw out about appealing to the 17/18 year old recruit, in the end, recruits do what's best for them/their families. I'm sure if all things were equal between to school, uniforms could play a very small roll, but how often does a recruit find himself/herself in that situation.

I like some of the new uniforms, but there is something to be said for schools that don't need to update their uniforms every year to gain attention. It's called tradition.

swardboy
9/23/2011, 12:36 PM
While I hope we never see macro-changes in our uni's, I must admit that I felt good for those kids in the video. They DIDN'T go there for the uni's, 'cause the school didn't promise it.

marfacowboy
9/23/2011, 12:42 PM
No.

I like some of the new uniforms, but there is something to be said for schools that don't need to update their uniforms every year to gain attention. It's called tradition.

One of the things I've always respected about OU. They don't mess with the uniform. I hope I never see black jerseys or accents in the unis like what Arkansas has done. That started with the track program and worked its way into the football unis. They looked better when they were more like OU...white on white, red jerseys, white pants, red stripe. Now, you never know what they're going to wear.

8timechamps
9/23/2011, 12:42 PM
While I hope we never see macro-changes in our uni's, I must admit that I felt good for those kids in the video. They DIDN'T go there for the uni's, 'cause the school didn't promise it.

EXACTLY! What college kid wouldn't get excited about a new uni (and a black one at that)?!

SoonerPride
9/23/2011, 12:47 PM
Good lord help me but if OU ever ran onto Owen Field in black uniforms I would boo.

OK, I might not boo the kids that second in the stadium, but I'd dang sure mail a ten page letter to Boren and Castiglione that would read thusly:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(for 10 pages)

PDXsooner
9/23/2011, 01:18 PM
When your a nobody school, you do things like this to get players.

Or if you're a "something" school, like Oregon. Do not kid yourselves, uniforms play a much bigger part in the mind of an 19 year old than most of us realize.

PalmBeachSooner
9/23/2011, 01:42 PM
es mas puto

pphilfran
9/23/2011, 01:50 PM
es mas puto

You chit where?!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/23/2011, 01:55 PM
rewatch the video. their reactions look fake. one guy is rolling on the floor on top of his jersey. the other guy is smelling it crying tears of joy. someone calling his dad to tell him about his new jersey. am I the only one who thought this video was a joke?

badger
9/23/2011, 01:58 PM
Good lord help me but if OU ever ran onto Owen Field in black uniforms I would boo.

OK, I might not boo the kids that second in the stadium, but I'd dang sure mail a ten page letter to Boren and Castiglione that would read thusly:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(for 10 pages)

I thought the replicas they had a few years back that had red numbers/letters were cool, but probably really hard to read from a distance. Might need to do white outline or white numbers if they were to ever go all-black.

They had gray replicas also with red numbers a few years back. I was very MEH on them. I imagine they were in the $15 rack before long.

SoonerPride
9/23/2011, 02:02 PM
I thought the replicas they had a few years back that had red numbers/letters were cool, but probably really hard to read from a distance. Might need to do white outline or white numbers if they were to ever go all-black.

They had gray replicas also with red numbers a few years back. I was very MEH on them. I imagine they were in the $15 rack before long.

The only time I approved of changing our uniforms was in 2003 when they had completed the east side upper deck and wore the 1950s Bud Wilkinson era unis for the opener.

One time.
Nod to the past.
That's it.

No funky colors.
No gray.
Or black.
Or glow in the dark.

Keep our uniforms CLASSIC.

The second and third tier schools like Oregon and osu can make fools of themselves if they want.

It ain't a fashion show.

It's a FOOTBALL GAME.

badger
9/23/2011, 02:05 PM
rewatch the video. their reactions look fake. one guy is rolling on the floor on top of his jersey. the other guy is smelling it crying tears of joy. someone calling his dad to tell him about his new jersey. am I the only one who thought this video was a joke?

These are kids among a group of their peers. I think the reaction was genuine, because I've seen similar videos.

Plus, didn't someone say this was right before a game? They were probably excited about the game to begin with.

EatLeadCommie
9/23/2011, 02:35 PM
Kids like the black alternative uni ideas. They think all black is intimidating.

A school like OU doesn't need a gimmick like that. Lesser schools do.

Personally, I think it's kind of bush league, even though some of the black unis look pretty cool. I tend to think that if one of your school's colors isn't black, then stay away from it.

DarrellZero
9/23/2011, 02:38 PM
Athens is a pretty little place.

I wouldn't, however, give to much weight to their attitudes or opinions about football.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/23/2011, 02:41 PM
It apparently made a difference to them!

These videos are really cool to see, like Paul Rhodes getting emotional with his team after big wins, or teams getting excited about touring new facilities, etc. I think this stuff is good recruiting too, showing the team behind the scenes.

And if you had these boring unis before, I might get excited at a change too:
http://alumniconnections.com/olc/filelib/OUL/email/Library/BobcatIdea/April09/ou-football1.jpg

J-E-T-S!... wait.

Land Run Sports
9/23/2011, 06:07 PM
Did anyone notice the OU Sticker in the background of the video? It's behind the guy talking about the black uni's - before they were shown to the players.

SoonerPatriot
9/23/2011, 06:24 PM
Did you notice Frank Solich standing by the door as they ran out of the meeting room?

C&CDean
9/23/2011, 06:35 PM
es mas puto

Yup. gayer than a gay thing.

Kids are really, REALLY stupid.

Jacie
9/23/2011, 06:40 PM
If a kid plays for a school that has nothing else going for it, unlike players at OU where they are the odds on favorite to win the conference championship, probably play in a BCS game, even a shot at the National Championship, then I would say yes, they do make a difference . . .

SoonerinSouthlake
9/23/2011, 06:47 PM
I have heard LaMichael James chose Oregon for the Uniform thing

In the end though....like Bob says about Revenge games, Rivalry games, home games, away games...etc etc certain things may get you pumped for a few series, but you still to do the work to get the win.

GottaHavePride
9/23/2011, 06:52 PM
Of COURSE they make a difference!

I base all my non-OU vBookie bets entirely on who has the coolest uniforms.

LASooner
9/23/2011, 06:57 PM
When you have no tradition of winning, how you polish the turd, matters.

instigator
9/23/2011, 08:00 PM
Of COURSE they make a difference!

I base all my non-OU vBookie bets entirely on who has the coolest uniforms.

vCash 0

Heh!

SunnySooner
9/23/2011, 08:13 PM
Did anyone notice the OU Sticker in the background of the video? It's behind the guy talking about the black uni's - before they were shown to the players.

I was about to ask this too!! This is the other OU, right? They are not U of O, but that's OUR sticker, amongst a bunch of other teams, maybe they think we're cool. ;)

BeaSooner
9/23/2011, 09:05 PM
No sense in degrading them - look how excited they are! Good for them. And they were nice looking jerseys.

As for me - I like our Sooners in their regular ole' traditional crimson and cream. Throw backs are nice every once in a long while.

delhalew
9/23/2011, 10:22 PM
Holy crap! I hope everyone actually watched that video. Did somebody dope their Gatorade?

NorthernIowaSooner
9/24/2011, 08:48 AM
That guy up front must really like smoke effect. He got really excited when he saw that.

oudavid1
9/24/2011, 11:34 PM
Or if you're a "something" school, like Oregon. Do not kid yourselves, uniforms play a much bigger part in the mind of an 19 year old than most of us realize.

Bit of a stretch. But Oregon uses their uniforms to recruit. Oklahoma dosnt have too and probably will never do that.

John Kochtoston
9/25/2011, 04:59 AM
These jerseys are like breaking out the green jerseys at Notre Dame (well, OK, not the same, but same idea). Something special to use as a psychological edge. If they wear them every week, it won't mean much.

As far as recruiting, I think peacocky unis like has Oregon and the 48 shades of ugly the Cattle Molesters wear can catch a kid's eye and make him go "Wow, those are neat. I'm gonna watch this team." If that team does well after catching a recruit's eye, then so much the better. However, I'm pretty sure Maryland didn't sway any recruits Saturday, snazzy unis or no.